• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

Boruto, Shikadai and Mitsuki fits well together tbh. We've seen them work together in the previous arc. But an all-male team might rub the fans the wrong way.

With that, we can also have an all-female team of Sarada, Chouchou and Sumire.

should have made Mitsuki female, there's no shipping war anymore, Sumire just couldn't stand against Sarada. lol

Famassu

Yep. It comes out on Crunchyroll.

You can watch the first episodes for free with adverts. And I think the latest 2 episodes you need to pay or wait.
Ok, thanks. Apart from the worst Ninja War & Uchiha eye craziness, even some of the latter parts had some good stuff occasionally, so I think I'm gonna try to see whether I find some entertainment out of this.

Pein

Banned
New episode was really nice, nothing major happened but relationship building and more character insight is always good. If boruto ever ran off and sarada had to go retrieve him it'd carry more weight then sasuke because Sarada and the other kids in class all feel like friends.

Metal and his fanboying over the Kage was nice, I don't think Lee told him Gaara almost crippled him for life. Also my boy Konohamaru reaffirming he's gonna be hokage.

The new threat seems really compelling and chilling, wonder when it will ever be touched. Sai saying years and everyone being about the new generation suggests a very long time away.

Konohamaru nii chan was amazing, still chuckle when he calls him Naruto nii chan.

Funny episode ending. Love Borutos crave for attention.

Red Fire

Guys please, can we keep manga spoilers out of here? Even if they are spoiler tagged, it's just annoying and sometimes even a few words that respond to a spoiler can hint at something.

Just keep manga stuff away

MartyStu

Guys please, can we keep manga spoilers out of here? Even if they are spoiler tagged, it's just annoying and sometimes even a few words that respond to a spoiler can hint at something.

Just keep manga stuff away

If you feel strongly enough about it, we should put it up to a vote.

rambis

Banned
If you feel strongly enough about it, we should put it up to a vote.

Right, nothing about this thread says anime only and there is no separate manga thread.

Considering that the manga is barely even in front of the anime and will likely be passed and lapped by the anime I really don't see the big deal.

Finally got around to watching Boruto. I really, really like it. I am very impressed. As of episode 23 at least.

1. Boruto is very different from Naruto. Naruto was all about hard work, following your dreams, getting the respect of the village, following your own way, comrades. Naruto spend ten episodes on learning how to mold chakra.

2. In Boruto that is glanced over; Here is this kid who is not struggling at all, and who has all the privilege. He seems to be about taking the easy way out, hedonism, trying to forge your own way outside peer pressure and being an individual that does not have to be judged based on his lineage. There is more meat and nuanced drama potential to Boruto.
It's really interesting to see what they will do with the Byakugan. Is it possible that Boruto will ever be able to be as strong as Naruto when he doesn't have nine tails? Based on the clip we saw in Episode 1, with Boruto having a sword and doing some sort of lightning attack, I wouldn't be surprised if Boruto ends up traveling with Sasuke, and taking on more of Sasukes fighting style.
Since Boruto has problems with his fathers, it makes a lot of sense.
Boruto might be able to relate better to Sasuke, who also always stood in Itatchis shadow.

I hope that Boruto will never be able to get the Kyubiis power. I think it's great and logical that Boruto uses shadow clones (somewhat), but his fighting style should be different from Naruto- Also because he is a Hyuga. Boruto has both Senju, Uzumaki and Hyuga blood in him, so maybe he'll have a potential power creep that will let him stand on his own to his father.
I think they should bring in Hiashi Hyūga (perhaps related to Himawaris character development). I don't think anyone got robbed as hard in Shippuuden as Neji.

3. I really love many of the new and older characters.

- Shino is wonderful. He is the best he has ever been, and his struggles are completely different from the same-old with Iruka Sensei.
- Sasukes character makes sense. You don't just try to end the world and ruin the village and then you go home and become a family man. It makes sense to me that he is not staying in the village. He is anti social, and the pink elephant in the room. But it's infruiating to see him be so *psychotically* dense with regards to Sakura.
- Konohamaru is awesome. I hated this little brat. He is very very nice. He is like the new "Yamato".
- Shikadai <3 my favorite of the new kids. He is a great mix of Shikamaru and Temari.
- Saruda is fantastic. But she and Himawari are the only new females I think are great. ChooChoo and Class Rep are annoying:(
- Iwabi feels like a filler character. Is he going to be a permanent addition?
- Mitsuki is great. He reminds me of Gin from Bleach.
- Sai is pretty great. His lack of selfawareness got old in Shippuuden. Not sure about Inojin. He seems to be a kid that is very reactive.
- Lukewarm about Metal. Rock Lee and Gai are amazing and very funny. With Metal, I am not sure what they are trying to do. It feels like making him nervous was just a trait they added to him because they didn't know what to do. I don't think Metal should be a 100% taijitsu user. Let him be his own thing.
- Kakashi doesn't look like he has aged
- Towards the last episodes of Shippuuden it was weird that there was no real closure with Orochimaru. I can understand Sasuke getting amnisty because he helped save the world, but you'd think that Oorchimaru would be to dangerous to keep alive. And what they are doing with Kabuto. I am not sure I understand.

So apparently part of the Sakura vs Shin fight was a homage to Buckey vs Captain America from Winter Soldier

at least when you pair up the two instances
https://twitter.com/JossieSarah/status/907425092417622016

That is really cool. I really loved the way they animated it. I am wondering if it's the best animation, Sakura has had, or if the fight with Saosari was better animated?

tumblr_ovh0y15J6j1vz54q7o4_r2_540.gif

tumblr_ovh0y15J6j1vz54q7o2_r2_540.gif

tumblr_ovh0y15J6j1vz54q7o5_r2_540.gif

tumblr_ovh0y15J6j1vz54q7o8_r1_540.gif

tumblr_ovh0y15J6j1vz54q7o3_r2_540.gif

Parshias7

Towards the last episodes of Shippuuden it was weird that there was no real closure with Orochimaru. I can understand Sasuke getting amnisty because he helped save the world, but you'd think that Oorchimaru would be to dangerous to keep alive. And what they are doing with Kabuto. I am not sure I understand.

I don't think there's been any sort of canon explanation for why Orochimaru is still out and about. At least Naruto has Yamato watching over the guy 24/7.

I always imagined the reason to be that they just couldn't get rid of him and putting him under a sort of house arrest was the next best option. The dude survived getting sealed away in Itachi's sword, he's essentially impossible to kill.

rambis

Banned
I don't think there's been any sort of canon explanation for why Orochimaru is still out and about. At least Naruto has Yamato watching over the guy 24/7.

I always imagined the reason to be that they just couldn't get rid of him and putting him under a sort of house arrest was the next best option. The dude survived getting sealed away in Itachi's sword, he's essentially impossible to kill.

Idk why this is questioned so much honestly. Oro along with Sasuke and taka played major roles in winning the war. It likely wouldn't have been won without Orochimaru reviving the Hokage and certainly wouldn't have been winnable without Sasuke.

That alone buys them any amnesty they want. In a time where people are forgiving past crimes and forming allegiances idk why people think they would then turn their backs on people who helped win the war.

brinstar

as long as Orochimaru isn't doing anything antagonistic I think it's fine.

also he's probably more useful to konoha alive than dead, like with the shin ordeal.

Pein

Banned
I like Sasori vs sakura more, just because it was the first episode since the the Valley of the end fight from part 1 that they went all out for a fight so like 2 years and the fandom exploded with hype. Plus it was sakura who got the episode lol.

this episode was such a treat, especially the dramatic kage entrances

here is a poster sized image of that Hokage/Madara (no third lol) image we saw when Shin was talking about evolution

Also in the latest chapter...
these new genin characters were designed by fans from a WSJ contest
tumblr_ow7pe7tL2i1uq12dlo2_1280.jpg

Idk why this is questioned so much honestly. Oro along with Sasuke and taka played major roles in winning the war. It likely wouldn't have been won without Orochimaru reviving the Hokage and certainly wouldn't have been winnable without Sasuke.

That alone buys them any amnesty they want. In a time where people are forgiving past crimes and forming allegiances idk why people think they would then turn their backs on people who helped win the war.

I completely forgot about that. Good point!

I like Sasori vs sakura more, just because it was the first episode since the the Valley of the end fight from part 1 that they went all out for a fight so like 2 years and the fandom exploded with hype. Plus it was sakura who got the episode lol.

Sasori was also a creepy and wonderful character. He was one of the best members of Akatsuki! In fact, many of the members were genuinely cool.

Do you guys think that one of the new kids should be a puppet user? I like the characters who have unusual Jutsu types.<.<

I hope we eventually see other K11 members fight like Sakura vs Shin in the future

I wonder how strong they became when the went into full adulthood. We skipped them being Jounin teachers since that time period was in between post the LAST and the current kids being born.

I wonder if Hinata can now do rotation since in her databook and that filler anime episode that showed her relation with Hanabi before she was a genin states that she suppressed her power/ability due to her childhood tension.

It would've been cool if Ino learnt some mind genjutsu like her father. I wonder if Lee mastered the gates by now.

After the latest anime episode and manga chapter, I can now definitely say Boruto has rejuvenated my interest in Naruto after how much I really hated the war arc.

It's really impressive how good of a job the anime show has done to improve on Boruto. He's a much more likeable character. Sarada was more interesting this episode in her interactions with Boruto than ever before as well.

Next episode should be good. Did y'all catch the kid with the same eyes as Yagura. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

It's really impressive how good of a job the anime show has done to improve on Boruto. He's a much more likeable character. Sarada was more interesting this episode in her interactions with Boruto than ever before as well.

Next episode should be good. Did y'all catch the kid with the same eyes as Yagura. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

yeah I noticed that too, maybe he has a connection to him in some way (same clan? related?)

Jonnax

Any thoughts on what will happen between now and that flashforward?

If I recall correctly people that scratch a line across their headband are missing nin that abandon their village.

I can imagine a scenario that leads to one of his friends dying and then forsaking the village because of that.

Like for example, Sarada dies, Naruto embroiled in the rising war/invasion can't help. Boruto decides to leave, Konoha is attacked.

CrazyDude

If I recall correctly people that scratch a line across their headband are missing nin that abandon their village.

I can imagine a scenario that leads to one of his friends dying and then forsaking the village because of that.

Like for example, Sarada dies, Naruto embroiled in the rising war/invasion can't help. Boruto decides to leave, Konoha is attacked.

I think he just got Sasuke's headband. I just don't see how Boruto would abandon the village.

CrazyDude

Momoshiki warned that his blue eyes will take everything from him. So he might go it a self imposed exile to keep people in the village safe.

rambis

Banned
so far we have two puppet users

Also via the next episode preview...
Kirigakure hit an economic boom

Do you guys think that one of the new kids should be a puppet user? I like the characters who have unusual Jutsu types.<.<

Yeah there's one in the new group, the kid that Gaara has apparently adopted. He also has the 3rd Kazekage's KKG. They gave him like one extra line in the manga compared to almost none in the movie but I think he's pretty important.

TBH,
he kinda dresses like the new group revealed in the latest chapter.

JonnaxAny said:
thoughts on what will happen between now and that flashforward?

Think thats just Sasuke's but it is widely theorized that he leaves. It does seem he was away while that guy did whatever to Naruto.

Im more interested in how he apparently loses his eye though, looking at the vertical scratch that lines up with the scar on his eye.

Momoshiki warned that his blue eyes will take everything from him. So he might go it a self imposed exile to keep people in the village safe.

he has a scar over his eye so we all assumed he lost his eye like Kakashi but via the first few episodes we noticed he has the same dojutsu

was it an attempt by someone to try and take or destroy his eye?

I think Sasuke will take Boruto under his wing, and sort of train him. - It makes sense as its a way to contrast and grow Sasuke and Boruto, as they are polar opposite. Boruto is pretty ignorant and selfish about how good he has it, and Sasuke knows all about trying to live up to the hype of legendary family.

It's a way to introduce Sasuke more into the story, and a way for Boruto to grow up and become more cool and mature.

And then there is the sword:

It just looks like a Boruto who is taking his queues through Sasukes style rather than Naruto. I don't know what the tattoos are about, but they might be some sort of seal, like the cursed seal that Sasuke had in part 1?

Boruto also has the Byakugen, and might have a rivalry with Sarada and her Sharingan. In fact, I think it would be good to get more of a sense of the different Kekkei Genkais that have been throughout the series. They should structure it properly, and make sure the new villains don't just have invent new uber powerful abillities. I think there is a lot of potential in some of these- Like the abilities of Kimimaro!

I wonder due to the coming arc being about the kids and Boruto again that we might see Sumire again after being out of the show for sometime

I wonder if she will fight too since she is basically top 3 at the academy

brinstar

pretty sure Boruto literally has Sasuke's headband, cloak and sword in that opening. Which makes me worried he's gonna bite it.

Is it too early to start the boruto x sumire ship.

I doubt it is going to happen, the only (manga) Sumire we got is two sketches from the Boruto novel about the Academy arc drawn by the current manga artist.

I also just want the other kids to get more screen time and grow up compared to the destroyed potential that we got with K11.

Iwabe and Sumire are actually interesting compared to the clones we got with everyone else besides NEO team 7 but even with NEO team 7, Sarada (power wise) is Sakura with Sharingans well at least in the manga. In the anime she learnt to do a shadow clone.

The only hope I see is if the anime fully takes over as the prime source.

I doubt it is going to happen, the only (manga) Sumire we got is two sketches from the Boruto novel about the Academy arc drawn by the current manga artist.

I also just want the other kids to get more screen time and grow up compared to the destroyed potential that we got with K11.

Iwabe and Sumire are actually interesting compared to the clones we got with everyone else besides NEO team 7 but even with NEO team 7, Sarada (power wise) is Sakura with Sharingans well at least in the manga. In the anime she learnt to do a shadow clone.

The only hope I see is if the anime fully takes over as the prime source.
I really need this to happen, for the show to be canon va the manga. Also it wouldn't be unheard of to have a show only character become more prominent in the manga just based of how well done they were on the show.

It's like Daryl in walking dead. There just needs to be a sumire fan club. But yeah agree with all of what you said.

I really need this to happen, for the show to be canon va the manga. Also it wouldn't be unheard of to have a show only character become more prominent in the manga just based of how well done they were on the show.

It's like Daryl in walking dead. There just needs to be a sumire fan club. But yeah agree with all of what you said.

indeed Sumire is a great character... at least in terms of Boruto standards

I want to see the Elvis kid, the bunny goth girl, and those two girls that hang around Sumire do something as well before graduation.

I'm probably boring but I honestly think Boruto x Sarada is pretty cute :x
I like sarada but I don't know why she is so stuck up.
indeed Sumire is a great character... at least in terms of Boruto standards

I want to see the Elvis kid, the bunny goth girl, and those two girls that hang around Sumire do something as well before graduation.
I already forgot they existed. Not a good start lol.

I like sarada but I don't know why she is so stuck up.

I already forgot they existed. Not a good start lol.

probably going home to a no dad and a working Mom added to her current personality

on another note I really wanted for the kids to gain a progress status update every few arcs akin to OP and the other crews that rival Luffy's or HXH, etc...

some authors can't handle that though.

Edit: The strong part of Boruto is the family, friends and world interaction compared to Naruto, particularly shippuden that focused so heavily on one team

also I miss Neji

I hope they edit out that reaction from the movie in the movie arc, since one of the amusing things for me was that literally Sasuke and Hinata didn't even talk to each other once when even Shino kind of reacted to Sasuke in the war arc when he arrived. On the other hand Hinata had a blank expression when Sasuke arrived and everyone in K11 besides her ran to him. (and Neji since he is dead)

Of course maybe she knew he was coming since her byakugan range was 20km radius from any 360 degree point but who knows?

Side note: I find that range ridiculous since that would mean that if the range is less then 20km she can basically see Naruto at work and Boruto at school at the same time from he comfort of her home.

Top Bottom