• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bowie fans! 90s CD's to be re-released on double CD's. Rare tracks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borat

Banned
Oh, I can't wait for these! I love these albums, but never bought any of the singles and the Omikron 'Hours...' tracks were unreleased until now. These will go nice with the Black Tie White Noise 2 CD + DVD boxset.

We even get the 97 drum 'n' bass versions of V2-Schneider and Pallas Athena that were only released on limited 12" before.

From Davidbowie.com

3d_sony_box.gif

From Bowienet:

We first mentioned the Sony double disc versions of 1.Outside, Earthling and 'hours...', way back in April of last year. (04.25.2003 NEWS: SONY REISSUES: THE FACTS) Well, I'm happy to report that the folx at Sony have stayed true to their word and intend to reissue the three albums on September 27th, complete with bonus discs. Here's how I described the reissues in that original news item over a year ago:

These bonus discs will contain a dozen or so songs each, and the tracks will be drawn from rare and hard-to-find releases and promos. They will not contain unreleased and unfinished versions of tracks...

And, sure enough that's exactly what you'll be getting. Many of these tracks have not had a CD release before now and have only been available on hard to find promos and the like. I'll be posting a complete breakdown of the bonus disc tracks and where they originated from shortly. (See track listings below)

The albums will be available to buy separately or all three together as a slipcase edition, as in the picture above. Each of the albums will be packaged in the DigiBook style that the recent EMI releases, such as Diamond Dogs, have favoured. The booklets have been expanded slightly to include the bonus track details and some additional photos.

The separately available albums will only be available for one pressing, when they're gone, they're gone. The slipcase edition will be a numbered limited edition, limited to just two thousand copies.

On a final note, I know this is the third version of these releases around the world over the last year, but I have said all along that there would be double disc versions available too... including when I announced the single disc US versions back in February. (02.15.2004 NEWS: SONY RE-ISSUES FOR AMERICA) So, for those of you, like me, that need to own every version (Hi Keiths) please keep your grumbles to yourself... we were warned!

If, however, you've never owned these albums on CD, these are the ones to get. You should save yourselves a couple of hundred quid not having to shell out for those rare and very pricey original vinyls and promos.

Here are those bonus disc track listings

outside_bonus.gif

earthling_bonus.gif

hours_bonus.gif

Prospero

Bowie is such a greedy double-dipping bastard.

Out of the bonus stuff on these discs, I already have:

The Reznor and Simenon mixes of Hearts Filthy Lesson
Nothing to Be Desired (which is just a jam, nothing to get excited about)

Both mixes of Telling Lies
Seven Years in Tibet (Mandarin Version)
The NIN mix of I'm Afraid of Americans (that single had six mixes, actually)

Off of Hours, I only have the American Psycho remix of Something in the Air. But the Hours sessions were crap, anyway.

There's nothing super-rare in any of this stuff, like there was in the BTWN package. Hard for me to be serious about buying this--depends on the price. And there are rarities that seem to have gone missing--the rest of the stuff off the Earthling in the City EP, for example.

Prospero

Killkernal said:
Bowie after the early eighties = dead to me.

Mmm--if you haven't heard Outside, you're missing out on one of his best albums, period. I'd rank it with Station to Station or Ziggy Stardust.

Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Hours..., and Reality are for completists only, though.

Prospero

Not to criticize others' taste (because who am I to do so: I like the Labyrinth soundtrack, and I take grief for that), but you are one of the few I've heard say they like NLMD. Even Bowie disowned that album once he made his comeback. (But to be fair, I have been known to watch the extended video of "Day in Day Out" on the Best of Bowie collection. When no one else was around.)

I've been looking for a used CD of the initial release (after which he removed one of the tracks, "Too Dizzy," because of its sheer badness), but haven't been able to come across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom