• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL did this fight literally come about because a guy got in his face he didn't know and a shoving match happened?

I hope Rios loses to fuck up this hype train for a matchup. I hate HBO setups.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dan Rafael ‏ @danrafaelespn

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

That is why boxing is a fringe sport. I AM ANGRY!!!!!!! HORRIBLE. ABRIL ROBBED! What did he have to do? KILL RIOS TO GET A DRAW? DISGUSTING.
54s Dan Rafael Dan Rafael ‏ @danrafaelespn

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. RIOS DID NOT WIN THAT FIGHT. ABRIL SCHOOLED HIM. I WANT TO CUT MY WRISTS. #BOXING @trboxing
1m Dan Rafael Dan Rafael ‏ @danrafaelespn

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

We go to cards. Scores: 117-111 Abril, 115-112 Rios (WOW!), 115-113 for the winner by split Rios. OMG. THAT IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheNatural

My Member!
ESPN Boxing ‏ @ESPNBoxing

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

The Paul Williams-Erislandy Lara decision was bad. This was criminal. Anyone remember a worse recent decision than this? #boxing

Heel

iPF9cMH8vh8Ts.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Dan Rafael ‏ @danrafaelespn

This makes Chavez-Whitaker look good. Makes Lewis-Holyfield 1 look legit. Makes Casamayor-Santa Cruz look awesome.

TheNatural

My Member!
Another robbery?

lulz

Robbery is putting it mildly. Someone won a clear 9 rounds (or more) in a fight and everyone watching scored it that way. This was flat out robbery, rape, murder, genocide.I almost said it in jest that they could possibly score it that way but somehow they did.

TheNatural

My Member!
Lou DiBella ‏ @loudibella

As God is my judge, I'd love to get out of this filthy cesspool. Goodnight people. Too sick to tweet or talk.
9m Lou DiBella Lou DiBella ‏ @loudibella

FUCK THIS CORRUPT, SELF DESTRUCTIVE INDUSTRY. We suck as legit sport, Sorry kid, you should be a champ. YOU PICKED THE WRONG BIZ.

TheNatural

My Member!
I stopped watching the last 24/7 series cause of that.

There needs to be a sanctioning body to watch these judges, hell, I'll gladly be the first to step up.

It's called the NSAC. That doesn't mean what they do is good. I just watched the meeting yesterday with Overeem and it had a lot of boxing stuff on it.

Here's the process to approving judges:

Judges X, Y, and Z and referee Joe Cortez are recommended by commish A of the NSAC. All for? Yay. Contrary? Motion passes.

They have public comments though for each motion and after the hearing if you're honestly interested. Hell I would be up to going to one if I lived around there. I don't think many, if any, people show up to these things though.

TheNatural

My Member!
Welcome to a dying sport.

Preach on.

The next dog and pony show is Mayweather and Cotto in a week and a half. There's a 99% probability this fight ends up boring and uneventful like all other Mayweather fights are (well when someone actually has his gloves up), with Cotto landing like 5 punches in a round, Mayweather landing like 15 or something that don't have any effect other than to score points.

Boring 12 round decision, and then *hopefully* we'll get some excitement with Merchant calling out Mayweather for another boring fight and then wait another 6 months for his next manufactured fight.

This Saturday check out Abner Mares vs Eric Morel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2IUVPncYY

Then on the 28th Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2eKtD8314

Then the week after that is Floyd Mayweather jr vs Miguel Cotto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6imjDQW23E

ugh I bought fucking tickets to see that first Hopkins and Dawson "fight". Worst live event I ever paid to see.

And yeah I am staying the hell away from Mayweather/Cotto. The co-main event of Canelo/Mosely will most likely be one sided as fuck with Canelo winning handily. I mean the whole card itself seems kind of solid, but fuck Mayweather. Already paid for the Ortiz PPV.

Preach on.

The next dog and pony show is Mayweather and Cotto in a week and a half. There's a 99% probability this fight ends up boring and uneventful like all other Mayweather fights are (well when someone actually has his gloves up), with Cotto landing like 5 punches in a round, Mayweather landing like 15 or something that don't have any effect other than to score points.

Boring 12 round decision, and then *hopefully* we'll get some excitement with Merchant calling out Mayweather for another boring fight and then wait another 6 months for his next manufactured fight.

Yeah, I agree. Mayweather should retire, or at the very least, fight twice a year instead of once.

ugh I bought fucking tickets to see that first Hopkins and Dawson "fight". Worst live event I ever paid to see.

And yeah I am staying the hell away from Mayweather/Cotto. The co-main event of Canelo/Mosely will most likely be one sided as fuck with Canelo winning handily. I mean the whole card itself seems kind of solid, but fuck Mayweather. Already paid for the Ortiz PPV.

Canelo/Mosely has the potential to be Holmes/Ali sad. I don't think Shane has anything left.

abuC

Welcome to a dying sport.

The promoters won't be happy until the sport is dead and buried, and the earth has been salted.

It just makes no sense how poorly they handle things, and then wonder why the sport is on the decline. If they were smart, they'd form a singular governing body, and put fights on basic TV.

The promoters won't be happy until the sport is dead and buried, and the earth has been salted.

It just makes no sense how poorly they handle things, and then wonder why the sport is on the decline. If they were smart, they'd form a singular governing body, and put fights on basic TV.

Promoters are dependent on those PPV monies. Putting it for free on basic TV is like Communism to them. You're right, though. The way they handle their main, mid and under cards are either great or terrible. So, let Arum, Schaffer and Mayweather kill their sport until they put on for free.

Promoters are dependent on those PPV monies. Putting it for free on basic TV is like Communism to them. You're right, though. The way they handle their main, mid and under cards are either great or terrible. So, let Arum, Schaffer and Mayweather kill their sport until they put on for free.

They could put more of their up and coming fighters on free tv, to gain a following.

They could put more of their up and coming fighters on free tv, to gain a following.

Well, Top Rank does that from time to time, but only on the Spanish-speaking basic cable networks, and Golden Boy does that on FOX Sports Network and most times promotes live matches at the Nokia Theater in Downtown Los Angeles. One of Golden Boy's up and coming fighters Jessie Vargas had a TV fight once.

ESPN gives boxing fans the most via Friday Night Fights.

TheNatural

My Member!

There's not many up and coming fighters, that's the problem. No one wants to watch a bunch of guys fight a slow paced 12 round uninspired decision. Like a couple weeks ago,this Rios guy is supposed to be this big up and comer, undefeated, and he basically gets owned by some no name - and then Rios gets handed the decision.

There's no knockout artists, no fighters around anymore that put fear into anyone. There's all of two fighters people care about, and when they're gone in a couple years, there's no one left.

Segway into tonight, for the perfect example. Bernard Hopkins is a legend, what he's doing is absolutely ridiculous at his age, maybe the greatest old man story in sports history if we wins tonight. But a major part of it is, guys two decades younger than him do not inspire fear, and don't know their craft well anymore.

You have this big ass, buff, younger and stronger guy named Chad Dawson who *looks* like he should be some sort of KO artist. Then when you see him actually box, it's like 'wtf this guy isn't impending at all.' He was embarassed by Jean Pascal, who Hopkins handled twice basically.

THAT is the problem with boxing in a nutshell. There are no real up and comers. They all fight to decisions and have major flaws in their game. Hopkins can go down tonight, he's postponed Father Time more than anyone - EVER - but there's a 90% chance that Dawson is going to let it be Hopkins game. It's going to be ugly. It's going to be dirty. Nothing is going to be clean about this fight, but Hopkins is going to use every trick in the book to try to make up that two decade disadvantage - something Dawson's generation hasn't learned how to deal with. And there's a good chance if Hopkins gets it going, he'll also get in Dawson's head.

Tonight you'll probably see a great example of why boxing isn't what it once was.

There's not many up and coming fighters, that's the problem. No one wants to watch a bunch of guys fight a slow paced 12 round uninspired decision. Like a couple weeks ago,this Rios guy is supposed to be this big up and comer, undefeated, and he basically gets owned by some no name - and then Rios gets handed the decision.

There's no knockout artists, no fighters around anymore that put fear into anyone. There's all of two fighters people care about, and when they're gone in a couple years, there's no one left.

Segway into tonight, for the perfect example. Bernard Hopkins is a legend, what he's doing is absolutely ridiculous at his age, maybe the greatest old man story in sports history if we wins tonight. But a major part of it is, guys two decades younger than him do not inspire fear, and don't know their craft well anymore.

You have this big ass, buff, younger and stronger guy named Chad Dawson who *looks* like he should be some sort of KO artist. Then when you see him actually box, it's like 'wtf this guy isn't impending at all.' He was embarassed by Jean Pascal, who Hopkins handled twice basically.

THAT is the problem with boxing in a nutshell. There are no real up and comers. They all fight to decisions and have major flaws in their game. Hopkins can go down tonight, he's postponed Father Time more than anyone - EVER - but there's a 90% chance that Dawson is going to let it be Hopkins game. It's going to be ugly. It's going to be dirty. Nothing is going to be clean about this fight, but Hopkins is going to use every trick in the book to try to make up that two decade disadvantage - something Dawson's generation hasn't learned how to deal with. And there's a good chance if Hopkins gets it going, he'll also get in Dawson's head.

Tonight you'll probably see a great example of why boxing isn't what it once was.

There are young and exciting young fighters that people would probably find intriguing to watch, the problem is that the sport is run by promoters too much. every young fighters career is comprised of them inflating their record by beating 15-20 cans, and then being thrust directly into PPV fights. Boxing is barely a sport anymore. It's not about true competition. It's not about championships. Its a bunch of glorified exhibitions put on by promoters meant to put their own fighters in the best position to make the most money.

Canelo/Mosely has the potential to be Holmes/Ali sad. I don't think Shane has anything left.

I don't by the Canelo hype just yet. This will be his first real test imo.

Mosely is an amazing fighter and im sure he will put up a spectacular performance.
I really want to see this fight but I sure as hell dont want to pay for a Mayweather fight so I will just read on the fight and see the highlights.

Baby Milo

Mosely is an amazing fighter and im sure he will put up a spectacular performance.
I really want to see this fight but I sure as hell dont want to pay for a Mayweather fight so I will just read on the fight and see the highlights.

Mosley is another old ass motherfucker who is gonna be knocked out for the first time next week

TheNatural

My Member!
There are young and exciting young fighters that people would probably find intriguing to watch, the problem is that the sport is run by promoters too much. every young fighters career is comprised of them inflating their record by beating 15-20 cans, and then being thrust directly into PPV fights. Boxing is barely a sport anymore. It's not about true competition. It's not about championships. Its a bunch of glorified exhibitions put on by promoters meant to put their own fighters in the best position to make the most money.

They've tried this before. The fighters just aren't that exciting. The few who are super dedicated to watch every card can make all the excuses they want and say "how dare you say there's no up and comers that are exciting" - but it's true.

Perfect example - the Super 6 tourney. Andre Ward won the Super Six tourney with FIVE fucking fights that went to the scorecard. FIVE. If the guy plowed through those guys with some KO's you better believe he would have been hyped.

Look how many fights there were in this thing and how many KO's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Six_World_Boxing_Classic

The promoters are a easy target, because yeah, they're fucking scumbags. But lets not act like everyone has the wool over their eyes here missing the grand talent in the sport.

How are you supposed to draw people in to watch boxing now when no one can finish anyone? Everyone is a point artist - and not even good ones at that.

They've tried this before. The fighters just aren't that exciting. The few who are super dedicated to watch every card can make all the excuses they want and say "how dare you say there's no up and comers that are exciting" - but it's true.

Perfect example - the Super 6 tourney. Andre Ward won the Super Six tourney with FIVE fucking fights that went to the scorecard. FIVE. If the guy plowed through those guys with some KO's you better believe he would have been hyped.

The promoters are a easy target, because yeah, they're fucking scumbags. But lets not act like everyone has the wool over their eyes here missing the grand talent in the sport.

How are you supposed to draw people in to watch boxing now when no one can finish anyone? Everyone is a point artist - and not even good ones at that.

What I mean is that even if the fighters WERE exciting, nobody has seen them before. Undercards are almost non existent and irrelevant. Young fighters are buried for their first 20 or so fights, then the promoters decide to anoint them as the second coming and charge us $50 for their next fight and we're supposed to believe it.

I get your point that it's possible boxing is just not a popular mainstream sport. I love watching guys like PBF dismantle opponents with defense and counter punches, but most of my more casual friends find him boring because he doesn't KO everyone in the first round. That also has to do with the erosion of the HW division. Those were the fights that more casuals were drawn to to see brawls and KOs.

Baby Milo

not everyone has knockout power welcome to boxing.

An elite top 5 p4p fighter fighting other elite guys around his division and your surprised he didn't knock them out? There are plenty of highlight reel Ko's in boxing. your clearly just not watching it.

TheNatural

My Member!
What I mean is that even if the fighters WERE exciting, nobody has seen them before. Undercards are almost non existent and irrelevant. Young fighters are buried for their first 20 or so fights, then the promoters decide to anoint them as the second coming and charge us $50 for their next fight and we're supposed to believe it.

I get your point that it's possible boxing is just not a popular mainstream sport. I love watching guys like PBF dismantle opponents with defense and counter punches, but most of my more casual friends find him boring because he doesn't KO everyone in the first round. That also has to do with the erosion of the HW division. Those were the fights that more casuals were drawn to to see brawls and KOs.

I don't think it's changed much though, you make a name for yourself by vaulting yourself up by KO'ing guys under the radar and then when you get the big fight, you have to take advantage. This is how Pacquaio got big, he wasn't a household name forever. Now he's in a boring ass slump, but he got that money by making a name for himself with knockouts. If someone does that, they'll get popular.

Unless he's got a time machine, he's not winning. Hell, he's not winning a decision of any type (lol boxing) so he has to KO Canelo. He doesn't throw combinations anymore so......he's going to get battered.

Tonight: Seth Mitchell should win. He's not a bad prospect, but he's not fighting enough. If they really want him to fight a Klitchko, he should be fighting a lot more and fighting against taller fighters. There's 8 months left to the year, he could fight 5 times if he wanted to......but....he'll fight some turd in Sept then get ko'd against Wlad/Vitali.

Chad Dawson should beat Hopkins. On paper he has every advantage, and he can have a real easy night working behind his jab and throwing combinations. But, he's Chad Dawson, so I expect Bernard to maul and potshot to a split decision win while Chad kinda sleepwalks around looking befuddled and bored the whole fight.

Chad Dawson should beat Hopkins. On paper he has every advantage, and he can have a real easy night working behind his jab and throwing combinations. But, he's Chad Dawson, so I expect Bernard to maul and potshot to a split decision win while Chad kinda sleepwalks around looking befuddled and bored the whole fight.
I don't see Dawson winning, and I don't get why anyone would see Hopkins-Pascal II and think his skills are diminishing. Dawson didn't exactly light up Diaconu...lost to Pascal...almost always looks complacent - with different judges Hopkins could be undefeated since 1993.

edit: This fight could have been 50 rounds and still neither of them would ever get hurt. 118-112 Dawson but meh.

TheNatural

My Member!
Damn I thought Hopkins was going to get the majority draw there as they read the decisions LOL.

Dawson won, but shit, he sucks ass. He has no KO power, even to a 47 year old boxer. Then after the fight he wants a fight out of the division when he knows Pascal could tear him up.

Hopkins should probably just retire. He could probably keep fighting and keeping it close and probably even beat a few of the other alphabet champion fighters if he doesn't delay that long, but he doesn't have anything else to prove. And like I said earlier about making a name for yourself - Dawson didn't do it, and no one is going to give a shit about who he fights from now on.

lol, before the 12th I was thinking "if Dawson doesn't come out and win this round there's a very good chance at least one of these judges has it even." Then he didn't and I was like aww fuck here we go. At least it was only one of them

Top Bottom