• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This does not look good. Also Algieri looks like he teleported here from the early 90s.

I like that, they need to bring back that look. Only reason the shorts are so long now is for more advertising.

edit: damn that eye is messed up, doc will end the fight soon.

Ruslan is getting outlanded, and has not landed many clean shots since the first two rounds, he's just hitting Arms and Shoulders idk how he's winning

If Algieri doesn't get caught and knocked out, he is gonna get robbed. He's winning this fight clearly in my eyes. He's the boss in there right now, doing pretty much what he wants. Ruslan lands 2, maybe 3 good punches per round, but he's eating many more. The announcers don't seem to wanna say outright that Ruslan is losing, but I think this is upset material here.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ruslan won this to me, he had better composure and his hits were less desperate.

Algieri outlanded him by 80+

He was never hurt again since the first round. The excuse is that Ruslans punches were harder, but he was only getting Algieri's arms and shoulders. That's not effective IMO. And yes, Chris' eye may look awful, but you shouldn't dock a guy rounds because he looks bad.

Algieri outlanded him by 80+

He was never hurt again since the first round. The excuse is that Ruslans punches were harder, but he was only getting Algieri's arms and shoulders. That's not effective IMO. And yes, Chris' eye may look awful, but you shouldn't dock a guy rounds because he looks bad.
I agree. He never staggered Algieri after the first round, and never really landed anything really solid.

Whoops! And new....ha! Good decision!

And Ward knows he feels Algieri won too, but doesn't have the balls to say it. All of them clearly are backing Ruslan since he's the next big thing, so they all overstated these mysterious huge punches Ruslan supposedly was landing, but he got schooled. Great win for the kid!

I love Algieri. Provodnikov saying fighting boxers isn't his style :lol

Really didn't expect him to keep going with that eye. Like he said round 8 he couldn't see.

I don't think anyone will want to fight him. He's got a troublesome style. Matthysse would have a better shot against him, because he sets his power shots up much better than Ruslan. Garcia would think he's fighting Herrera again, so nope. Peterson would fight him too I think.

jchap

Missed the fight last night and was really surprised by the result when I read it this morning. Especially given that Aligeri was knocked down twice in the first round! Was Prov just following and winging big shots?

Tom_Cody

Missed the fight last night and was really surprised by the result when I read it this morning. Especially given that Aligeri was knocked down twice in the first round! Was Prov just following and winging big shots?
It was a really fantastic fight. You should try to watch it.

IMO it could have gone either way. HBO's scorer and Lampley had Provodnikov winning big (lol) while Andre Ward's had Aligeri winning and Kellerman agreed that it could have gone to either.

Provodnikov nearly decapitated Aligeri in the first round and the effects of that punch resulted in cartoonish swelling to Aligeri's eye. After Provo dominated the first, each round was either competitive or clearly won by Aligeri. Provodnikov was Provodnikov for all 12 rounds; he never stopped coming forward like a mother fucker and he definitely landed additional hard shots in the remaining rounds. But Aligeri out-threw and out-landed him to a dramatic extent over course of the fight. The case for Provo is that his shots were harder but, after the first, I'd say that is debatable. Aligeri never clearly hurt Provodnikov, but he landed tons of super accurate flush shots. I think you can say that his punches were at least hard enough to control Provo, even if a KO was never on the table. Had his eye not closed, I think Aligeri could have possibly scored a knock-down in the late rounds as Provodnikov definitely seemed to be feeling the accumulation of punches.

In a lot of ways it was like Pac-Marquez 1 lite. I'm surprised that comparison hasn't been coming up more.

Chad Dawson at the weigh-in earlier:

Bqmaj8jCUAE4XNI.jpg

Chad Dawson last year at the weigh-in before for his fight with Adonis Stevenson:

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any good fight worth watching tonight? I don't know any of those fighting tonight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dude-Chenko looks like Rokcy IV's Draco in the last part of the last round, but in all arounds. That guy looked like he had 0 motivation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why is it taking forever tonight? I feel like people have just been talking for an hour.

Top Bottom