• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

RBH

The first show of Premier Boxing Champions on NBC will be March 7th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Robert Guerrero will face Keith Thurman and Adrien Broner will take on John Molina. The NBC broadcast will run from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. PT.

A third fight was announced Thursday and will either appear on the NBC broadcast if there is time or will be on NBC Sports Network starting at 11 p.m. ET that night. Three-division former world champion Abner Mares will meet Arturo Reyes in a featherweight bout.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxin...gree-camera-in-boxing-coverage-000311323.html

Al Haymon just got CBS and showtime on his side.

CBS and its premium cable partner Showtime announced a multiyear deal with powerful boxing manager Al Haymon on Tuesday that will bring the sport regularly to network television and include bouts anchored by Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Adonis Stevenson and Jhonny Gonzalez.

Mexico's Gonzalez, the World Boxing Council featherweight champion, will defend his belt March 28 in Showtime’s season-opener against Gary Russell Jr., a card that will also include super-welterweights Jermell Charlo vs. Vanes Martirosyan.

CBS will follow April 4 by airing Premier Boxing Champions fights, the circuit formed by Haymon, starting with light-heavyweight champion Stevenson defending his belt against former super-middleweight champion Sakio Bika.

Chavez, who left promoter Bob Arum’s Top Rank stable to join Haymon, is expected to fight in the Southland in his April 18 light-heavyweight bout on Showtime against Andrzej Fonfara.

The second scheduled CBS show is May 9, featuring unbeaten former lightweight world champion Omar Figueroa, in his junior-welterweight debut, against former world champion Ricky Burns.

The May 9 card and the ones to follow on CBS will begin at 1:30 p.m. Pacific time.

The network announced it will stage as many as eight Saturday afternoon cards this year, with others to follow in June, July and September.

The fights will be promoted across multiple platforms, including CBS, Showtime and CBS Sports Network, the networks said in a news release.

Sooooo much boxing on basic television. Fantastic news for the sport.

FNF is done with the end of the Boxcino tournaments in May. PBC will move to regular ESPN once a month. Apparently Teddy Atlas may remain on commentary, he has some sort of long term contract with ESPN.

av2k

For those who are still interested, rumor has it that Pacquiao Mayweather will be announced tonight.. seriously.

Can't wait.

The reckoning is truly upon us. Hold strong Boxing-GAF. And may God have mercy on us all.

Anway, while newfound "experts" debate that fight in may, we got Heavyweight Boxcino tournament tonight. And the aforementioned Golovkin-Murray fight tomorrow.

Turin

Banned
It is a little agitating. People who don't know anything about boxing or combat sports talking out of their ass about it.

Leunam

5 years too late 5 years too late 5 years too late 5 years too late 5 years too late 5 years too late

We get it, you think you know shit about boxing. Roger Mayweather has something to say about that I'm sure.

abuC

It is a little agitating. People who don't know anything about boxing or combat sports talking out of their ass about it.

My response to them is always the same

tumblr_mnksb6Inhu1qe9i6ao1_400.gif

I'm in a boxing group on FB that is pretty good though, so that helps when I can't speak to my normal boxing crew folks.

Turin

Banned
Alright, I'm just gonna say it. The perfect time to make the fight was NOT 2009-2010!

Both guys had still had unanswered questions by a chunk of core boxing fans before we could buy into it as this "ultimate summit meeting". Floyd still had unfinished business with Shane Mosley and I had suspected at the time that Manny was just a benefactor of smart match making. Both guys did end up answering those questions and then some but my point is that, to me and quite a few others, the fight would have seemed half baked.

3Sixty

David Price is up against some Brazilian Sauerland found on his couch.

Remember when Price was the big British heavyweight hope

El Topo

Murray couldn't stop Sturm, although he should've won that fight, don't see how he could beat GGG. Of course it could always turn out that GGG has a glass chin, who knows?

David Price is up against some Brazilian Sauerland found on his couch.

Remember when Price was the big British heavyweight hope

Gotta love Tony Thompson. I don't get why they let Price fight Thompson that early, did they really underestimate Tony that much?

3Sixty

Gotta love Tony Thompson. I don't get why they let Price fight Thompson that early, did they really underestimate Tony that much?

I guess so, baring in mind the biggest name on his record was Audley Harrison.

Price always looked domestic level to me.

El Topo

He just keeps taking shots. That said, he survived the round without a knockdown. Let's see if he can stay in the fight or maybe even get back.

El Topo

Murray seems to have recovered. I'm impressed, but he'll need a lucky punch to win this.

Is anyone better than Murray ever going to get in a ring with GGG...

GGG doesn't bring in top money yet and is too dangerous for less than that, the top fighters will be wary.

abuC

GGG looks like he's just getting some extra rounds in, there's no urgency at all and he's ok with just beating the shit out of Murray.

El Topo

Good decision by the ref. Murray kept eating shots and was just hoping for a miracle. Corner could and maybe should have stopped it a few rounds earlier.

Top Bottom