• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

There's shit in those shorts after that last body shot, I guarantee. That shot changed Lem's whole outlook on life; damn!

I know Lem is no Andre Ward, but that shit still looked scary. He's becoming a bonafide monster.

3Sixty

Knockouts are enjoyable to behold, but these are human beings, and it's a positive that referees prevent damaged fighters from killing themselves.

He's a world champion, throwing plenty back, still had a solid guard up.

He had the same punchers chance as he did at the start of the fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cotto would give a better fight than Lemieux for sure. Canelo would probably end up like Lemieux.

kinggroin

Banned
I think a fight with Canelo would go longer than one with Cotto (it'll be similar to tonight's). The later would be more exciting though.

BadAss2961

I think a fight with Canelo would go longer than one with Cotto (it'll be similar to tonight's). The later would be more exciting though.
Cotto would get wrecked so bad. He's too small. Canelo stands a much better chance, but I still see GGG being too much for him.
Ward is a better boxer, a phenomenal technician.

I also wouldn't count out Saul though.
And Ward has size. These middleweights can't fuck with GGG.

hi-res-dd85625d929285f782b47b9fc9a046ec_crop_north.jpg

Turin

Banned
Unfortunately the best opponents GGG is gonna get at middleweight are guys fighting south of 160.

To be honest though, I'm not sure how serious GGG really is about ever fighting at super-middleweight. He's well into his 30's and doesn't walk around any heavier than 170 from what I understand. He might do it for a big name and move back down but not for the kind of gargantuan task that dealing with Ward, who isn't a huge draw, would be. With Andre moving up to 175, that fight looks even less likely.

Talonz

Wow, Colon is in a coma. He looked like he was totally milking that rabbit punch earlier today. Bleeding on the brain for him. Fuck that is terrible.

While I saw this coming, it definitely doesn't make me any less sick of blatant ducking nonsense... Canelo balks at a fight with GGG unless it's at 155. Yes, yes, I know this is premature, but it's still one of the best fights in boxing and one that fans deserve to see.

As much as I've enjoyed Canelo's rise, he's done it by fighting in his own make-believe division. People will dismiss this by saying Canelo is too small to fight Gennady, which is actually completely false - GGG is the physically smaller fighter between the two. The guy is an inch shorter than GGG, has a longer reach than GGG, and comes in on fight night weighing, on average, five to seven pounds more than GGG does on his fight nights. He walks around at a higher weight, and trains at a higher weight as well. I mean, come on, he clocked in at 167.8 at his 30-day weigh-in for the Cotto fight, while GGG came in at 165 for the Lemieux fight's 30-day weigh-in. These guys are textbook, size-perfect middleweights.

He's fighting a 160lb mandatory, so he should have to fight at that weight. It still boggles me that he fights 1lb above light middleweight for middleweight belts. Canelo has built his whole career on fighting smaller guys by pretending he's among them with his clever catchweight, or by draining bigger guys to obtain size advantage. Floyd rightfully sonned him for doing the former. This practice is bad for the sport of boxing and needs to stop. Let's give fans the fight they deserve.

While I saw this coming, it definitely doesn't make me any less sick of blatant ducking nonsense... Canelo balks at a fight with GGG unless it's at 155. Yes, yes, I know this is premature, but it's still one of the best fights in boxing and one that fans deserve to see.

As much as I've enjoyed Canelo's rise, he's done it by fighting in his own make-believe division. People will dismiss this by saying Canelo is too small to fight Gennady, which is actually completely false - GGG is the physically smaller fighter between the two. The guy is an inch shorter than GGG, has a longer reach than GGG, and comes in on fight night weighing, on average, five to seven pounds more than GGG does on his fight nights. He walks around at a higher weight, and trains at a higher weight as well. I mean, come on, he clocked in at 167.8 at his 30-day weigh-in for the Cotto fight, while GGG came in at 165 for the Lemieux fight's 30-day weigh-in. These guys are textbook, size-perfect middleweights.

He's fighting a 160lb mandatory, so he should have to fight at that weight. It still boggles me that he fights 1lb above light middleweight for middleweight belts. Canelo has built his whole career on fighting smaller guys by pretending he's among them with his clever catchweight, or by draining bigger guys to obtain size advantage. Floyd rightfully sonned him for doing the former. This practice is bad for the sport of boxing and needs to stop. Let's give fans the fight they deserve.

If the winner of Cotto/Canelo Ducks GGG, they should hand in their balls. No excuse for it at all.

ZoddGutts

GGG will fight Lee/Saunders winner instead, get the belt. Maybe GGG will have the leverage since he'll have all the other belts and Nevada commission will side with him, if GGG says no to catch weight forcing Canelo/Cotto to fight GGG in a mandatory fight with no bs catch weight nonsense. Only in a perfect world sadly. Either way Canelo would look like a punk if he really tries to pull that, who else will he be able to fight note worthy after GGG has disseminate the middleweight class? Peter Quillin?

Tenebrous

GGG will fight Lee/Saunders winner instead, get the belt. Maybe GGG will have the leverage since he'll have all the other belts and Nevada commission will side with him, if GGG says no to catch weight forcing Canelo/Cotto to fight GGG in a mandatory fight with no bs catch weight nonsense. Only in a perfect world sadly. Either way Canelo would look like a punk if he really tries to pull that, who else will he be able to fight note worthy after GGG has disseminate the middleweight class? Peter Quillin?

Could just do an Amir Khan and fight ex May/Pac opponents to prove a point.

There are only a few big fights left for Gennady at 160, and "big" is stretching the term.

The really big one is, of course, the winner of Cotto/Canelo. Sadly, both of them have indicated that they either have little intention of fighting GGG, or would only do so at a catchweight. I would honestly be shocked if Cotto took the fight under any conditions, and would also be surprised if a fight can be made with Canelo next year given the underwhelming PPV numbers for GGG/Lemieux. These guys don't really give a shit about belts, especially Cotto.

Aside from that, the winners of Lee/Saunders and Quillin/Jacobs will be next in line. I fully expect Lee to emerge victorious and be willing to fight GGG, so not much to worry about there. Quillin has openly ducked Golovkin in the past, though, so he's a big question mark. It's also hard to say with Jacobs if he wins.

Other than those three fights, I also would not be surprised at all if we saw him fight one of Tureano Johnson or Chris Eubank, Jr. this year.

TuXx

I actually like his chances against Pacquiao, make it happen Bob.

I would favor Crawford as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if Manny is still a bit too much for him. The only reason I would give Crawford the edge is because Manny doesn't really have much to fight for anymore being that it's his last fight an all.

Except for the fact that the likely opponent is Rohan Murdock. Pretty impressive that he managed to find someone worse than Paul Smith for his second bout back.

This fight has been rejected by the Neveda State Athletic Commision according to Aussie media:

WA-born fighter Rohan Murdock has missed out on a unlikely shot at American superstar Andre Ward after boxing officials in the US refused to sanction the bout.

Rejected because of it being a mismatch.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29856676/rohan-murdock-unable-to-take-on-andre-ward/

Turin

Banned
Good.

I won't hold my breath but I'd want Ward to fight Yunieski Gonzalez. He's had his tune up.

This is the guy who wiped out a talented 168 division and butchered Chad Dawson. Fighting lower B tier guys now isn't acceptable.

Read that bit about NSAC refusing to sanction the Ward-Murdock fight the other day. Thank goodness - Murdock isn't even a journeyman. And The Ring has Ward at #2 P4P? Unreal. His run in 2010-2012 was great, but he hasn't done shit for years now. Is Pacquiao ranked for his fights in 2010-2012? No, he's dropped accordingly because of his most recent output. The same should hold true for everyone else.

Wards an embarrassment with how he's mismanaged his career. 2 fights in 3 years against complete scrubs, now this debacle.

The thing is, I would be fine with the bum of the month club for a few fights considering the layoff and the possible move up in weight, but he's still only fighting twice a year! Needing some tune ups on his schedule means maybe he fights a top 20 guy in 2018! The arrogance of this dude, his people, his tens of fans to think he can dictate ANYTHING in negotiations with GGG or Kovelev is pathetic.

abuC

Wards an embarrassment with how he's mismanaged his career. 2 fights in 3 years against complete scrubs, now this debacle.

The thing is, I would be fine with the bum of the month club for a few fights considering the layoff and the possible move up in weight, but he's still only fighting twice a year! Needing some tune ups on his schedule means maybe he fights a top 20 guy in 2018! The arrogance of this dude, his people, his tens of fans to think he can dictate ANYTHING in negotiations with GGG or Kovelev is pathetic.

He's coasting off the super six tournament at this point, the fact he won't fight outside of Oakland is just the icing on the cake too.

3Sixty

Roy Jones vs Enzo Maccarinelli for the "Super" WBA cruiserwight title in December.

Had to check what year it was when I read that. WBA ain't stopping till they got 3 champions in every division.

The WBA is waffling about having that be a title fight now. If he were to win, Roy will have won a title in every division from middleweight to heavy.

The WBA "interim" heavyweight championship kills me, KILLS me. Neither the "super" nor the "regular" champions are injured or unable to defend their belts.....but there's an interim champ for no reason. BOXING

Top Bottom