• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

BadAss2961

I'm betting on the typical Bradley fight, especially against Rios. He'll outbox him for the first few rounds, get baited into a war but pull out the victory.

Turin

Banned
Tim is looking a lot like he did against Lamont Peterson, which is Tim's best performance in my opinion.

Not exactly what Teddy wants but that's some great progress from just 7 weeks.

Turin

Banned
Loved the adjustments Bradley made tonight. Nasty body attack.

Rios fucked himself of any chance he might have had with the weight issues.

I'm stating the obvious but Rios did not look good. His heart's not in this anymore and I'm glad he's retiring because he'd just get himself hurt.

Bradley did his part tho. One of my favorite fighters who always gives it his all and it was great to see Tim get a rare stoppage. Teddy might be a good fit for him. And his speeches make for good TV lol.

It's very possible he could get the Cotto-Canelo winner. But I think Canelo is too big for him.

Lomachenko took care of business. Would like to see him vs Rigondeaux.

Bradley looked great. There are plenty of great matchups for him at 147, though, so hopefully this nonsense talk of a Canelo fight will die down. It's absurd - just because people have heard of both guys doesn't mean it's a bout that should happen.

Loma also looked typically outstanding. Let's see him in there against an opponent who isn't a total joke next time. Rigo, Walters, Donaire - all great fights.

Rigo added to the fighter Saturday night. Still sad to see Ward out, but good to see Rigo. Hopefully he gets more exposure signing with Roc Nation.

Turin

Banned
I love that Rigondeaux's included. Good job, Roc Nation.

Making it even sweeter is that Dan Rafael, who despises Rigo with a passion, has to sit through it.

I love that Rigondeaux's included. Good job, Roc Nation.

Making it even sweeter is that Dan Rafael, who despises Rigo with a passion, has to sit through it.

Yeah, I never understood the hate. Rigo is a beast and deserves fights. Not like Dan is losing any money watching him fight....

Tubie

Just read Espn mobile Cotto not paying the 300k & strip? Any explanation? Thx in advance..

300k just to keep a belt?

If he wins everyone will consider him the champion with or without the belt and if he loses he loses the belt anyway, so Cotto was smart to save himself 300k.

If he wins everyone will consider him the champion with or without the belt and if he loses he loses the belt anyway, so Cotto was smart to save himself 300k.

Getting warmer...

Cotto saved himself the $300k because he knows there is no way for him to keep the belt. He would essentially be paying three hundred large to keep the belt for somewhere between 15 days and 6 months. If he pays the fee and loses, then of course he loses the belt. If he pays the fee and wins, then he has to choose whether he is going to duck Golovkin or fight Golovkin. If the former, he paid $300k to keep the belt for 15 days prior to being stripped. If the latter, he paid $300k to get beat up and lose the belt after a few months.

Tom_Cody

Getting warmer...

Cotto saved himself the $300k because he knows there is no way for him to keep the belt. He would essentially be paying three hundred large to keep the belt for somewhere between 15 days and 6 months. If he pays the fee and loses, then of course he loses the belt. If he pays the fee and wins, then he has to choose whether he is going to duck Golovkin or fight Golovkin. If the former, he paid $300k to keep the belt for 15 days prior to being stripped. If the latter, he paid $300k to get beat up and lose the belt after a few months.
But you skipped the part where he already paid GGG an $800,000 step-aside fee to allow for the Canelo fight.

It doesn't make much sense to me that this is happening at the 11th hour.

Tom_Cody

Lol, GGG is the champion at 160 regardless of what happens in this 155lb fight.

But you skipped the part where he already paid GGG an $800,000 step-aside fee to allow for the Canelo fight.

It doesn't make much sense to me that this is happening at the 11th hour.

$800k to pave the way for a gargantuan title fight with one of the most marketable fighters in the sport that will net him millions. His purse will eclipse the step-aside fee, which is why he spent it. He has nothing comparable to gain from spending the $300k to keep the belt.

Lol, GGG is the champion at 160 regardless of what happens in this 155lb fight.

Also, this.

Top Bottom