• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

ZoddGutts

Cotto had no intentions of fighting GGG anyways and would most likely had dropped the belt if he won in order to avoid the mandatory fight with him.

Tenebrous

How come?

Leaving boxing politics outta it, because honestly, they're all at it...

Dude deserves to cap off a great career with a win against one of the biggest names in the sport. I don't have an issue with Canelo, but he's only in his mid 20s, and will go on to do great regardless. Plus, I always root for the underdog.

IrishNinja

I wonder if we could make a Cotto-Canel thread in OT. This is a big fight

it's a good idea - when's the next ticket that high profile?

Leaving boxing politics outta it, because honestly, they're all at it...

Dude deserves to cap off a great career with a win against one of the biggest names in the sport. I don't have an issue with Canelo, but he's only in his mid 20s, and will go on to do great regardless. Plus, I always root for the underdog.

i can dig it, you got me rooting for Cotto on the outside chance here

Turin

Banned
I'm a bit odd in that I became more of a Cotto fan after the Pacquiao fight. He spent the next few years revamping his technique and the evolution was complete when he hired Freddie. I'm really impressed with how he's rallied in his career since those first two hard losses.

Anyway. I think Cotto's technical skills are going to shine on Saturday. It won't be easy but I think he'll outfox the ginger.

I can't count Canelo out though. He's only 25, has all of the physical advantages including faster hands and has excellent timing. He'll need to pick up the pace though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So there's no way to buy the Cotto PPV unless you have a cable/satellite box right? Wanted to buy online a la UFC but boxing is too behind it seems

Tenebrous

It was a close fight, with many rounds capable of going either way. It wasn't 116:111 to Abraham, but I did have him winning because of Murray's inability to land too many clean shots.

Very good fight. Crolla next!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lol

phigMMa.jpg

Skip BaylessVerified account ‏@RealSkipBayless 4h4 hours ago
Man, do I NOT miss Mayweather.
Dudes retired from the sport and haters still got Floyds name in their mouth, all up in their feelings and shit like hes that trophy ex who dumped them.
Im loving the salt.
Give it 20 years though and all his haters will act like they loved him, I saw that shit happen with Tyson after the Holyfield incident and rape charges. Its kind of incredible how the passage of time worked in his favor, cause Iron Mike at one point, was the most hated athlete on the planet.
Now people love his ass.

Turin

Banned
I'm endlessly annoyed with the fact that Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith are treated as serious commenters on boxing. Their conversations about Floyd and Manny were awful.

Anyway.

GGG vs. Canelo needs to happen. Easily the best fight in boxing.

This catch weight business is pretty annoying. They're about the same size. Saul might actually be bigger at this point but Gennady's far less used to going down that low and he knows it.

Danny Garcia announcing his next fight this upcoming week. Manny is planning to might early next year right? I would still love to see canelo vs pacquiao.

Turin

Banned
Canelo vs. Pacquiao? No thanks. I don't want to see him fight Bradley either. He needs to defend his middleweight championship against middleweights.

ZoddGutts

Post fight conference, Oscar said Canelo will fight only twice next year starting in May and later in Sept. I doubt GGG will sit out till that fight happens, in the meantime he'll fight some other guy who as a belt.

Post fight conference, Oscar said Canelo will fight only twice next year starting in May and later in Sept. I doubt GGG will sit out till that fight happens, in the meantime he'll fight some other guy who as a belt.

Most likely Tureano Johnson, who is now the mandatory challenger to the IBF belt GGG won from Lemieux.

How come?

Does it really need to be spelled out? Canelo shouldn't be fighting a guy who began his career at flyweight and who is naturally a 140lb or 135lb fighter, not to mention on his way out of the sport. The size difference with Cotto was evident on Saturday - engaging in further catchweight nonsense by fighting Pac borders on the absurd. The same is true for this hypothetical Alvarez-Bradley matchup. My goodness.

Canelo's team has certainly capitalized well on the meme that he is actually similar in size to the blown-up welterweights and light middleweights that he fights, but the reality is that he walks around and trains at a higher weight than natural middleweights. Considering he's also fighting for and defending middleweight belts, then maybe he should, um, I don't know, fight actual middleweights.

3Sixty

So Haye announces his comeback vs Mark De Mori. Never heard of the bloke and his record looks poor at best but he is ranked top 10 by WBA.

So Haye announces his comeback vs Mark De Mori. Never heard of the bloke and his record looks poor at best but he is ranked top 10 by WBA.

Calling him a can is an insult to cans. Haye has been out for three years, so he can have a gimmie fight or two. I want to see Haye actually fight a few times in the next 6 months, he gets hurt all the time so I'll believe in his comeback when he's walking to the ring.

When's Keith due to fight again, anyway?

Sometime in early February 2016, most likely. His bout with Shawn Porter was supposed to headline PBC's debut on Fox after it was delayed from its initial December date on Showtime. The Garcia-Guerrero fight now has the PBC Fox debut, scheduled for January 23. The Thurman-Porter will be pushed to some undetermined point in the future, but will probably take place sooner rather than later.

Tenebrous

You're from the UK right? How big is the buzz over there for the fight?

Honestly, I don't know that many people, but my old man keeps asking me about it, and he DKSAB.

Still, it doesn't seem to be a huge deal. Haye was all over the TV before he beat the giant, but Fury non-Sky TV presence seems rather minimal. I fully expect Anthony Joshua to be all over the place when he gets his shot.

Top Bottom