• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Reading up I don't get why people saying Khan should've fought Brook before this. That makes no sense. Yea, he would've made more money, but if he lost there would be no Canelo fight! You take your big shot and move on. There's some fights that are always going to be there and Brook is one of them. Virgil needs to cut the shit tho. He's definitely pushing for Canelo vs GGG. He's thinking GGG will come out on top thus securing a fight for Ward. Would have to meet at a low 170. But that shit is going to backfire when Canelo KO's GGG. A come forward fighter plays right into Canelo's counter tactic.

BadAss2961

Reading up I don't get why people saying Khan should've fought Brook before this. That makes no sense. Yea, he would've made more money, but if he lost there would be no Canelo fight! You take your big shot and move on. There's some fights that are always going to be there and Brook is one of them. Virgil needs to cut the shit tho. He's definitely pushing for Canelo vs GGG. He's thinking GGG will come out on top thus securing a fight for Ward. Would have to meet at a low 170. But that shit is going to backfire when Canelo KO's GGG. A come forward fighter plays right into Canelo's counter tactic.
I just don't see it man.

GGG is a monster.

giphy.gif

HLYkxDm.gif

Oppo view.
Source

BadAss2961

Canelo can box, but he's not one of the better technicians. He'll have to be against GGG, and I just don't see it. I don't think Canelo can outbox someone more daunting than himself for 12 rounds.

I see GGG walking him down and taking him out within 4 rounds.

Thing with GGG is his jab is so good, based on the first 4 rounds against Khan, Canelo would be eating that jab like a kid with sweeties.

Canelo would have to do a LOT better than that - sure the KO was a highlight reel, but Khan was tailor made for that.

Can Canelo cope with:-
Golovkin's jab? Doubtful.
His ability to cut off the ring? Even more doubtful

TKO for Golovkin inside 6 IMO

Turin

Banned
Canelo needs to put on his best impersonation of Marco Antonio Barrera(boxer version) when he fights GGG.

I'm actually on the fence with who I'd pick. I don't think GGG's elite level timing and coordination will surprise Canelo the way it has all of his previous opponents. Still, both guys present problems that the other hasn't had to deal with yet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
People forget they haven't really seen GGG fight in his true form yet. In almost any fight he's just sparring and letting the other fighter land a few shots, letting the match last longer than it really should.

hKIfc7k.gif

So much wrong here...

Virgil ain't looking at GGG for Andre. Andre is gearing up for Krusher which is his biggest challenge now that he's at 175. They're not going to catchweight a 175-160 fighter split. Literally no one is still talking about GGG-Ward now that Ward is signed to fight Kov.

Don't know what to tell you if you think Canelo KOs Gennady. Alvarez hardly bothered a tiny and geriatric Cotto till the championship rounds, so unless you think this Khan KO is proof of Nelo's power, I don't know how you get to that prediction. Canelo has never fought a true middleweight either - he's built his career bullying smaller guys.

But, hey, Canelo said 160 wasn't a problem for him at last night's press conference, so let's see if he actually puts his money where his mouth is.

And LOL at GGG ducking Lara. Lara has never fought above 154 and only yaps about GGG when Golovkin is in training camp for a scheduled fight. As soon as he's open...? Radio silence. If "ducking" means not fighting a guy who calls you out on Twitter but has never fought in your division, I don't know what tell you.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
And LOL at GGG ducking Lara. Lara has never fought above 154 and only yaps about GGG when Golovkin is in training camp for a scheduled fight. As soon as he's open...? Radio silence. If "ducking" means not fighting a guy who calls you out on Twitter but has never fought in your division, I don't know what tell you.

If GGG's camp thinks Lara is an easy fight to not even entertain an offer then why fight Wade? If dude was smart why not fight Lara and "knock" him out to show the people you can lay someone out that Canelo couldn't? I dont get the GGG love. Dude hasn't fought anybody worth a thing in his career thus far and all of a sudden he's the boogeyman? Mr. not willing to go up in weight to fight competition, but wanting competition to come up to fight you... Please.

If GGG's camp thinks Lara is an easy fight to not even entertain an offer then why fight Wade? If dude was smart why not fight Lara and "knock" him out to show the people you can lay someone out that Canelo couldn't? I dont get the GGG love. Dude hasn't fought anybody worth a thing in his career thus far and all of a sudden he's the boogeyman? Mr. not willing to go up in weight to fight competition, but wanting competition to come up to fight you... Please.

That's not how it works, dude. I guess I'll spell it out...

Lara is a Haymon fighter. Golovkin fights exclusively on HBO. HBO does not do business with Al Haymon, and they're not about to start with the (unfortunately) ratings-challenged Lara.

Also, Lara does not fight at 160 - he never has. Meanwhile, Golovkin hasn't fought below 160 since he was a young man, and never below 158, which happened years and years ago anyway.

You say GGG wants Canelo to "come up," when he actually just wants the mandatory challenge of Canelo's lineal 160 title that he has earned and waited for. He doesn't want him to "come up," he wants him to defend his belt. In the same post, you're saying he should actually bring Lara up from 154 to prove something. That's nonsense.

Hopefully that clears up why they didn't entertain Lara's illusory "offer." And why did he fight Wade? Because Wade was the mandatory challenger of the belt he just won from Lemieux. He can't blow off his mandatory then wave his own mandatory status in Canelo's face at the same time.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
That's not how it works, dude. I guess I'll spell it out...

Lara is a Haymon fighter. Golovkin fights exclusively on HBO. HBO does not do business with Al Haymon, and they're not about to start with the (unfortunately) ratings-challenged Lara.

Also, Lara does not fight at 160 - he never has. Meanwhile, Golovkin hasn't fought below 160 since he was a young man, and never below 158, which happened years and years ago anyway.

You say GGG wants Canelo to "come up," when he actually just wants the mandatory challenge of Canelo's lineal 160 title that he has earned and waited for. He doesn't want him to "come up," he wants him to defend his belt. In the same post, you're saying he should actually bring Lara up from 154 to prove something. That's nonsense.

Hopefully that clears up why they didn't entertain Lara's illusory "offer." And why did he fight Wade? Because Wade was the mandatory challenger of the belt he just won from Lemieux. He can't blow off his mandatory then wave his own mandatory status in Canelo's face at the same time.

It's all politics. Haymon and HBO haven't done business for a while, but it's not out of the question. HBO would pay for a GGG and Jacobs fight. And let's not act like GGG is ratings challenged as well. Those ppv numbers.... I don't even see how he sold 1 buy. He's not a ppv fighter yet. I get it though, he thinks he deserves Canelo, i get it. Guys like that (Khan for example) hope for the best, but get sent back to reality.

It's all politics. Haymon and HBO haven't done business for a while, but it's not out of the question. HBO would pay for a GGG and Jacobs fight. And let's not act like GGG is ratings challenged as well. Those ppv numbers.... I don't even see how he sold 1 buy. He's not a ppv fighter yet. I get it though, he thinks he deserves Canelo, i get it. Guys like that (Khan for example) hope for the best, but get sent back to reality.

jerry-seinfield-getting-up.gif

Going back to a lot of the fights from the early to mid 2000s era and goddamn, Larry Merchant is overflowing with salt toward certain fighters. Always with the subtle digs and snide comments, I think he hated Zab Judah more than anyone. His partisan hot takes get real tiring after a while.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fury being weird, went on an hour long rant about stuff, including gays and jews.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/13/tyson-fury-banned-antisemitic-comments-video

Boxer Tyson Fury has sparked further outrage after making homophobic, sexist and antisemitic comments in an hour-long video rant.

Fury has previously been accused of sexism and homophobia, including controversial remarks about Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis-Hill.

In his latest outburst, he claimed “Zionist, Jewish people ... own all the banks, all the papers, all the TV stations”.

He made personal attacks against the Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko in the run-up to their rematch fight in July.

Fury also voiced his extreme views on bestiality, paedophilia and women during the 57-minute clip.

Beefy

Fury being weird, went on an hour long rant about stuff, including gays and jews.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/13/tyson-fury-banned-antisemitic-comments-video

World heavyweight boxing champ Tyson Fury has unleashed a foul-mouthed religious rant on video.

As he prepares for his rematch with ex-champ Wladimir Klitschko , Fury has reignited the row over some of his beliefs.

He said: “It’s like you’re a freak of nature if you’re normal, you’re the odd one out nobody else.

"What’s normal? I’ll just get myself changed into a woman that’s normal isn’t it today call myself Tysina or something like that, put a wig on...”

“I don’t think it’s normal I think they’re freaks of nature.”

He also appears to be critical of Jews, saying: “Everyone just do what you can, listen to the government follow everybody like sheep, be brainwashed by all the Zionist, Jewish people who own all the banks, all the papers all the TV stations. Be brainwashed by them all.”

And he continues: “I think it’ll be perfectly normal in the next ten years to have sexual relationships with your animals at home you know your pets your cats and dogs and all that so that will be legal.

“You are already allowed to marry your animals and stuff.

“It is going to happen though, isn’t it? Whatever you can think of that’s bad, will be made legal, because that’s what the devil wants.”

He rages about “plastic dolls that look like children so perverts can s*** them”.

And he adds: “The world has gone mad, there is no morals there is no loyalty there is no nothing.

“Everyone just do what you can, listen to the government follow everybody like sheep, be brainwashed by all the Zionist, Jewish people who own all the banks, all the papers all the TV stations. Be brainwashed by them all.

“Maybe they might start making it legal so that four or five men can grab a granny and rape her in public in front of kids and all that. Or grab an old man and rape him.”

“I think it’s terrible to open an innocent child’s eyes to dirt and filth at young ages, all this sex education and all that, as kids.

“Kids need to be kept innocent for as long as possible because there is that much dirt and filth in the world and rubbish.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/tyson-fury-launches-foul-mouthed-7961614

Even more said in the link.

Beefy

The guy has lost it.

‏@Tyson_Fury
I see all the Zionist media outlets are on my back, because I speak the truth!
u will all see the truth soon enuf, they killed my lord jesus

Turin

Banned
Whether it's Wladimir or Anthony Joshua or Luis Ortiz, I just want to see someone knock Fury's head off. What a delusional shithead.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Everyone will want to watch the game to see just what might happen.

PR_rambo

Banned
Wilder and his team are returning to America, the fight is most certainly going to be cancelled. It's a shame, was looking forward to it, but Povetkin really fucked up.

Fightnews says Canelo wants two or three fights before fighting Golovkin:

Negotiations are ongoing between the camps of WBC middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and WBA/IBF/WBC interim champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. One of the proposals being discussed is that both fighters agree to have at least two or three interim fights each before they clash. If both sides agree to it, Canelo’s next foe could be either David Lemieux or Curtis Stevens.

Two or three fights, potential fights with battered GGG victims. And he says Mexicans don't fuck about - lol

CaOdoQGW0AA93Vw.png

Have Saunders and Jacobs found their stones yet?

Absolutely pathetic, though I had a feeling he wouldn't be putting his money where his mouth is. He talked a big game after the Cotto bout and an even bigger game after the Khan bout.

"Get in the ring right now, Gennady."

"I'll put on the gloves right now."

"160 is not a problem."

"I don't fuck around."

...Except, hold on, I need to talk to my team, need to fight a couple tune-ups with GGG leftovers, need to let it "marinate," not actually a 160lb fighter...

Turin

Banned
I can deal with an interim fight if he wants to get his feet wet at 160 but three? Yeesh.

I wish he'd just do what Ward did with Sergey. Sign it for a solid date. However many fights you take in between is on you.

This is 100% Oscar protecting the Golden Goose. Which is kind of hilarious considering how much salty shit he gave Floyd over "ducking" Manny for years. Ultimately though, it's a business, and to Oscar Canelo is not a fighter, he's a commodity, and Oscar is going to use risk/reward in determining what to do with that commodity. If GGG were one of the 2 or 3 most popular fighters on the planet, you can bet your sweet high-heeled ass Oscar would make this fight and probably challenge the PPV buy rate record, but he's not. So to Canelo's camp, the risk of having Canelo lose isn't worth the probably small uptick in PPV buys that GGG would bring to the table, especially not when Canelo can continue to be the biggest draw in the sport by fighting cans like Amir Khan.

Heel

Yeah, I don't think GGG has peaked with the public by a long shot, but to really get there he will likely need to beat a name. Anyone who pulls the strings doesn't want that name to be one of their own, so long as that name is still making them money.

That's the game, I guess.

Top Bottom