• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

I'd really like to see a fight with Stevenson, but I don't think he'll accept cause Stevenson would lose for sure. Then again, Stevenson pretty much has to accept it at this point, he's at the end of his fight-picking rope.

I'm on record saying that Stevenson beats Kovalev (likely not Ward though. Being one-dimensional against Ward is a hopeless endeavour). Stevenson looked pretty amazing a few weeks ago, likely even too amazing for his age but they're probably all on gear so it's fair game.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I'd really like to see a fight with Stevenson, but I don't think he'll accept cause Stevenson would lose for sure. Then again, Stevenson pretty much has to accept it at this point, he's at the end of his fight-picking rope.

I'll make a case that Kovalev v Stevenson didn't happen because one was HBO and the other on Shotime.

Only time both promoters worked together was for Lennox Tyson and MayPac so they only wnated to work together when there was a ridiculous amount of money to be made.

Unfortunately Stevenson Kov aren't exactly big sellers.

It seems that Wards Contract with HBO is over so he is a freeagent to just go over to Stevenson and get all the belts.

Turin

Banned
Stevenson's only chance against Ward is to land the homerun early. Won't happen. Andre's too smart for that. Also, a guy who value's his integrity as much as Ward does would rather die than let a former child sex trafficker beat him.

Anyway, here's my P4P list.

1) Andre Ward
2) Vasyl Lomachenko
3) Canelo Alvarez
4) Gennady Golovkin
5) Guillermo Rigondeaux

Rigo's his own worst enemy but still extremely good.

3 and 4 are interchangeable but I think Canelo has a more impressive body of work and Golovkin might be more vulnerable than some want to admit.

Lomachenko's the most talented guy in boxing right now and his victory's against Russel and Walters were extremely impressive. Still a ways to go.

Ward's slightly past his peak IMO but he's clearly the P4P king right now. Finally.

Joshua vs Ward talk... 😂

Is Ward good enough to avoid Joshua's artillery for five rounds? He stops a gassed AJ.

Ideally, he should unify with Stevenson, fight once or twice at Cruiser and pick up a belt there and then if there's a crappy champ like a Charles Martin/John Ruiz type, go get that heavyweight belt too.

Just don't pull a RJJ and destroy your career draining back down to LHW after.

CW division is pretty stacked at the moment. He'd definitely face less talented opponents at HW but the physical barrier might be hard to overcome.

Turin

Banned
Even acclimating himself to 175 seemed to hamper Andre's ability somewhat. Going up to the 190's or higher could make it worse.

He could probably tag AJ at will but he has nothing to threaten him with. Best case scenario, he gets out with a decision loss barely touched.

I'm on record saying that Stevenson beats Kovalev (likely not Ward though. Being one-dimensional against Ward is a hopeless endeavour). Stevenson looked pretty amazing a few weeks ago, likely even too amazing for his age but they're probably all on gear so it's fair game.

Stevenson would get brutally beaten by Kovalev. The way beat Kovalev is to outbox him and Stevenson is a brawler.

Stevenson's only chance against Ward is to land the homerun early. Won't happen. Andre's too smart for that. Also, a guy who value's his integrity as much as Ward does would rather die than let a former child sex trafficker beat him.

Anyway, here's my P4P list.

1) Andre Ward
2) Vasyl Lomachenko
3) Canelo Alvarez
4) Gennady Golovkin
5) Guillermo Rigondeaux

Rigo's his own worst enemy but still extremely good.

3 and 4 are interchangeable but I think Canelo has a more impressive body of work and Golovkin might be more vulnerable than some want to admit.

Lomachenko's the most talented guy in boxing right now and his victory's against Russel and Walters were extremely impressive. Still a ways to go.

Ward's slightly past his peak IMO but he's clearly the P4P king right now. Finally.

My list is similar. I have Lomachenko slightly lower than GGG and Canelo. I still have Kovalev at 6. I don't think people realize how big last nights TKO was.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Kovalev would murder Stevenson dead in the ring. That chicken shiit, tomato can crusher doesn't belong in the ring with the elite.

Eh I think Stevenson is very competitive with Kovalev. His resume is damn good and he looked very fast last fight. Also, his win over Bellew leads me to believe he's the hardest P4P puncher in the game. I've rarely seen a fighter this good get discredited on forums so much. I guess his really shitty lifestyle doesn't make him too popular, but don't let your judgement be clouded by that. Kovalev looked insanely insecure once he lost control of the fight. I'd take Adonis over Kovalev at the moment.

Tom_Cody

RespectfulTallGypsymoth.gif

https://gfycat.com/respectfultallgypsymoth

PR_rambo

Banned
The discussion about Mayweather v McGregor is literally aids. Online and IRL, mostly because of the MMA crowd. Generalizing is never a good idea. However the majority of them are moronic screamers, spitting out hot takes whilst typing WAR whoever it is they want to win. I can't wait for it to be over with.

Tater Tot

The discussion about Mayweather v McGregor is literally aids. Online and IRL, mostly because of the MMA crowd. Generalizing is never a good idea. However the majority of them are moronic screamers, spitting out hot takes whilst typing WAR whoever it is they want to win. I can't wait for it to be over with.

bruh you didn't learn from the May Pac threads? lol

Hopefully Floyd Knocks him out or makes it interesting. This match is definitely gonna turn heads away from Canelo GGG but if floyd makes it interesting it might bring more people to watch that match.

Turin

Banned
Yeah. I'll check after a while to see if there's a response but I'm staying out of there from now on. Too much craziness.

I cant believe kov did that bad last night, he did way better the first time.

Ward was better this time.

He said he trained injured for the last fight and he did look lighter on his feet yesterday.

This and the whole onslaught that followed was a thing of beauty.

I'll watch Floyd/MMA Bum for the spectacle but man do I hate the circus that comes with it. This is why I pray May-Pac 2 never happens. So many awful takes from people who spend more time proclaiming the death of Boxing than actually watching it. GGG-Canelo is the Fight to look forward to.

I'll watch Floyd/MMA Bum for the spectacle but man do I hate the circus that comes with it. This is why I pray May-Pac 2 never happens. So many awful takes from people who spend more time proclaiming the death of Boxing than actually watching it. GGG-Canelo is the Fight to look forward to.

May/Pac 2 does not need to happen, maidana deserved that rematch but the other was too clear for there to be a rematch. I laugh at people like skip and others thinking manny won for some strange reason or using the excuses of him being injured.

Tater Tot

Let us all take a moment and recognize that it was Tom_Cody that brought us the cancer of thread that is Mayweather v. McGregor

:p

Syder

Let us all take a moment and recognize that it was Tom_Cody that brought us the cancer of thread that is Mayweather v. McGregor
That thread... I had to bail because you just can't talk sense to some people.

From pure Mayweather haters to ridiculous McGregor stans, people are talking total bullshit.

Yeah I'm back to safer waters too lol. It was getting too crazy over there.

I don't think Kovalev fought a bad fight, just that Ward seemed much sharper and comfortable this time around. He dealt with Kov's power and stiff jab much better, and fought a more physical fight this time. He spent more time inside instead of on the end of Kov's punches, while employing that same potent body attack as the first fight. Impressive stuff.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
h2vj9Z5.gif

Fraudulent. I wish Ward had ended his ass right there like Mayweather did with Ortiz. Defend yourself at all times unless the ref says otherwise.

Kovalev what the fuck haha? Only way that motherfucker is taking a belt again, is if he goes against shitty Stevenson lol. What a shameful display.

I want to believe... but are you basing that prediction on GGG's last fight alone?

I think I've seen literally all of Golovkin's fights bar a couple blow outs at the very beginning of his career. Might have even seen those if there were tapes, because I knew of him well before he went pro as his amateur career was remarkable.

Three things:

- I think he is slightly past it. Nothing wrong with that at his age, but the Brook and Jacobs fights did lay some weaknesses bare.

- He is hittable. The majority of opponents he faced so far couldn't really capitalize too much on it, many lacking either skill or power or both (although Jacobs had a good combination of both and got somewhat close). Golovkin cannot walk through Alvarez' punches and will not be able to apply pressure the same way he usually does. On top of that, Canelo has improved quite a bit since losing to Mayweather.

- No experience with being on the back foot or in a losing position. I feel like that was a pretty big factor for Kovalev a few days ago (and many other unbeaten fighters who faced defeat). I can't say for sure how he would handle such a situation but it's something worth considering when betting on the fight.

BadAss2961

I think I've seen literally all of Golovkin's fight bar a couple blow outs at the very beginning of his career. Might have even seen those if there were tapes, because I knew of him well before he went pro as his amateur career was remarkable.

Three things:

- I think he is slightly past it. Nothing wrong with that at his age, but the Brook and Jacobs fights did lay some weaknesses bare.

- He is hittable. The majority of opponents he faced so far couldn't really capitalize too much on it, many lacking either skill or power or both (although Jacobs had a good combination of both and got somewhat close). Golovkin cannot walk through Alvarez' punches and will not be able to apply pressure the same way he usually does. On top of that, Canelo has improved quite a bit since losing to Mayweather.

- No experience with being on the back foot or in a losing position. I feel like that was a pretty big factor for Kovalev a few days ago (and many other unbeaten fighters who faced defeat). I can't say for sure how he would handle such a situation but it's something worth considering when betting on the fight.
To be fair, Canelo's biggest threat over the last couple years has been an old Cotto. No doubt he's improved, but he's done it with opponents that were tailor made for him to look good against. GGG is a massive step up from what he's been seeing.

GGG on the other hand has fought Jacobs and Brook, both very good fighters that no one was going to beat easily (Brook was still gone in 5 rounds though.) Lemieux is also still dangerous.

Turin

Banned
The point I always make about GGG is the thing that separates him from the other middleweights, and really what makes him so intimidating, is his timing and almost freakish alertness.

That's an advantage that disappears to a significant degree with Canelo. On that aspect at least, Canelo's not going to be surprised.

Still, I think GGG has a little bit of room for error. Canelo will have to be at his most disciplined or he's getting walked down.

I also have Canelo winning the fight. GGG keeps alluding to holding back in his last couple of fights in order to ensure this fight gets made...but I call bullshit on that.

Amir Khan was at the press conference taking the piss out of Kell Brook again and talking about coming back to the 147lb division :lol His career has been so badly managed.

For UK based people - interesting that Matchroom have steered clear of the Canelo/GGG card. That suggests to me they are going to put a PPV event on for the Mayweather/McGregor card...maybe James DeGale. That is going to really damage the sales of the Canelo/GGG card in the UK.

For UK based people - interesting that Matchroom have steered clear of the Canelo/GGG card. That suggests to me they are going to put a PPV event on for the Mayweather/McGregor card...maybe James DeGale. That is going to really damage the sales of the Canelo/GGG card in the UK.

Hearn made a career high offer to Wilder a week ago to fight Dillian Whyte on the planned double header. He said he spoke to the WBC president and that Wilder's mandatory defense wouldn't get in the way of a potential fight, but Wilder has since gone silent. 😮

Tom_Cody

Hearn made a career high offer to Wilder a week ago to fight Dillian Whyte on the planned double header. He said he spoke to the WBC president and that Wilder's mandatory defense wouldn't get in the way of a potential fight, but Wilder has since gone silent. ��
VMLFJCr.jpg

That's a dream fight for Wilder in terms of risk/reward. Whyte is a club fighter but Hearn has convinced casual UK boxing fans that he is a threat to the division.

Hearn also said that Errol Spence was dodging the Kell Brook fight last summer and we know how that turned out.

Eddie Hearn: Behind Close Doors Errol Spence Jr's Team Turn Down Kell Brook Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KtkiKhs6Ns

ERROL SPENCE JR REACTS TO EDDIE HEARNS COMMENT ON SAYING HIS TEAM TURNED DOWN KELL BROOK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bpIhGEBa4

Errol Spence Jr. Defeats Kell Brook via 11th Round TKO | SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpjLAJfP3bs

Syder

People will keep calling that a 'controversial finish' but there's no way Kovalev was making it to the end of that round regardless.

Top Bottom