• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

People will keep calling that a 'controversial finish' but there's no way Kovalev was making it to the end of that round regardless.
He wasn't but Kovalev should have been counted regardless

It would have been better because 1) the certainty 2) really don't think Kovalev would have got up, he looked mentally finished, so even more embarrassment for him

Yeah, Ward got robbed of a proper ending, whereas Kovalev was gifted an excuse. Kovalev is so insanely unlikeable, I can't fathom how that guy has fans. He's not even an entertaining kind of menacing but straight up a bully type.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I still think GGG has been holding out a bit to make the fights last longer, but he's getting older, Canelo is at his peak, so I expect him to win. Still, no one can say it's not a good match up, and while I'd like to see GGG win I'm going to enjoy it either way.

kov LITERALLY killed a guy in the ring and it looked like it did not affect him at all

I saw that fight live actually. Guy got carried off on an orange stretcher. It's one of the worst memories of boxing I got, although I don't really recall Sergey's reaction. That one was on the ref though. He let a lop-sided fight go on for far too long.

Tom_Cody

Let us all take a moment and recognize that it was Tom_Cody that brought us the cancer of thread that is Mayweather v. McGregor

:p
OnkSb0r.gif

Tom_Cody

Hearn made a career high offer to Wilder a week ago to fight Dillian Whyte on the planned double header. He said he spoke to the WBC president and that Wilder's mandatory defense wouldn't get in the way of a potential fight, but Wilder has since gone silent. 😮
I was wrong. Wilder confirmed on instagram that he turned down the fight.

Wilder on Instagram said:
xCOE3r9.jpg

bronzebomber@eddiehearn bro let's not play around here, We both know who I want from England, you told me a while back at the WBC convention that your main man was next remember? So why have you been trying to throw your cocka roaches in with me. First it was Bellew and now it's your dirty cunt @dillianwhyte man come on. I tell you what... Make that offer of 3 million into 7 million and on OUR terms. Oh it's going to cost you to change my plans of what we about to do up and NO it's not on YOUR terms. How you go come with a offer of 3 million and want things on your terms too? The last time I checked I was the damn CHAMP! When I bet the horse shit out your stray doggy, (Animal Farm) I'm AGAIN not going to GAIN any credit or anything from anybody for beating his ass whatsoever; After this beat down from TTown, They will call him a Bum too let's face it and the world knows this. Fans really just want to see me back in the ring that's why they entertaining this bullshit. @dillianwhyte is a crush dummy at best, he's designed to well you know!?! "Fucking Crush" Every fighter wants to fight for titles over and over again, shit some guys never see a first time and y'all want another shot with 3M + term too? Get the fuck out of here. Hey I would love to fuck him up as bad and as bloody as I will do and take that money too EZ. So sleep on them nuts and come back with an open mind and a new heart because the CHAMP don't like this fuckery. "I SWEAR TO GOD IM GOING TO CATCH A BODY FROM ONE OF THIS CABBAGES IN THIS SPORT SOON, MARK MY WORDS"... #BombZquad #DeathRow #FixTheLeakage #IfYourRidingWithMeThenLetsRide #IfNotThenKickRocks #PutSomeRespectOnMyName #UsaVsEverybody #TheRealistChampInTheBusiness
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVm5VWXAW4K/

7m to fight Whyte 😄

That 3m and the mega million unification showdown with Joshua after he puts Vlad or Pulev away seems like a reasonable offer, is he worried he'd get his chin cracked and lose that once in a life time payday?

Loma is so much superior to Canelo its not even close at all, imo.

P4P doesn't mean the most accomplished fighter, or best resume. It never has. Just means who is the best fighter if you adjust for weight, who would beat everyone else. That's why an old Pacquiao shouldn't be on the list anymore, as there are welters that would beat him at this age.

Canelo couldn't even beat Lara, who outboxed Canelo pretty easily. Loma is pretty much a true boxing genius. My p4p 2 after Terence Crawford. It's not simply that he beat Walters, an excellent opponent, its how he beat him. If Canelo was so great he wouldn't have needed to be a weight bully for so long.

GGG is getting older but he should still knock out Canelo. Nice to hear the fight will be 11pm eastern time latest. Was getting sick and tired of how late GB and TR fights start. One of the good things about PBC.

P4P doesn't mean the most accomplished fighter, or best resume. It never has. Just means who is the best fighter if you adjust for weight, who would beat everyone else. That's why an old Pacquiao shouldn't be on the list anymore, as there are welters that would beat him at this age.

Canelo couldn't even beat Lara, who outboxed Canelo pretty easily. Loma is pretty much a true boxing genius. My p4p 2 after Terence Crawford. It's not simply that he beat Walters, an excellent opponent, its how he beat him. If Canelo was so great he wouldn't have needed to be a weight bully for so long.

GGG is getting older but he should still knock out Canelo. Nice to hear the fight will be 11pm eastern time latest. Was getting sick and tired of how late GB and TR fights start. One of the good things about PBC.

ggg aint knowing out canelo.

I think Loma is the best boxer I've ever seen. I get that he has a small body of work in the pros, but just his sheer talent and physical gifts are awe inspiring. He is such a complete package that it's scary. No one moves like him. He out speeds the speedsters, and outslugs the sluggers; can fight inside or out, has a high boxing IQ; it's crazy.

People give different weight to different metrics on what pound for pound should mean. Honestly the only thing that matters is #1 P4P and then everybody else. Accomplishments matter to a certain extent otherwise you'd be rating prospects who look simply amazing against their opposition so far.

I think Loma is the best boxer I've ever seen. I get that he has a small body of work in the pros, but just his sheer talent and physical gifts are awe inspiring. He is such a complete package that it's scary. No one moves like him. He out speeds the speedsters, and outslugs the sluggers; can fight inside or out, has a high boxing IQ; it's crazy.

I love watching Loma fight, but if he's the best boxer you've ever seen than I question how many boxers you've seen.

Turin

Banned
Dan Rafael's apparent hate-lust for Rigondeaux was pretty pathetic.

Also, I just noticed this thread made it 10 years. lol

People give different weight to different metrics on what pound for pound should mean. Honestly the only thing that matters is #1 P4P and then everybody else. Accomplishments matter to a certain extent otherwise you'd be rating prospects who look simply amazing against their opposition so far.

I love watching Loma fight, but if he's the best boxer you've ever seen than I question how many boxers you've seen.
I'm 48 years old, I've seen plenty of boxers trust me. I've boxed myself, and grew up with Tyson, Briggs, Bowe; all from the same hood and we frequented the same gyms. I stand by my statement of Vasyl; he's potentially Sugar Ray Robinson level if he continues on this path.

I'm 48 years old, I've seen plenty of boxers trust me. I've boxed myself, and grew up with Tyson, Briggs, Bowe; all from the same hood and we frequented the same gyms. I stand by my statement of Vasyl; he's potentially Sugar Ray Robinson level if he continues on this path.

It sounds like you only watch Heavyweight fighters and using that to assess a Featherweight, Super Feather weight.

Did you watch Sugar Shane at lightweight, or Floyd in lower weight classes or Roy Jones Jr?

Dude has had 9 fights. LOL Nicholas Waters was a great win. Gary Russell was a good one.

Loma looks special, but not THAT special tbh however his in ring accomplishments and performance will have to bear that out. However I've always said out of all the top Eastern European fighters (Golovkin, Kovalev, Lomachencko), Lome was by far the best and complete fighter.

Rigondeux vs Lomachencko will be a huge step legacy wise in the right direction.

It sounds like you only watch Heavyweight fighters and using that to assess a Featherweight, Super Feather weight.

Did you watch Sugar Shane at lightweight, or Floyd in lower weight classes or Roy Jones Jr?

Dude has had 9 fights. LOL Nicholas Waters was a great win. Gary Russell was a good one.

Loma looks special, but not THAT special tbh however his in ring accomplishments and performance will have to bear that out. However I've always said out of all the top Eastern European fighters (Golovkin, Kovalev, Lomachencko), Lome was by far the best and complete fighter.

Rigondeux vs Lomachencko will be a huge step legacy wise in the right direction.
Lol, okay; I only watch heavyweight fighters. Marvin Hagler and Ricardo Lopez are my favorite fighters of all time, Charlie Burley too. You're right; I don't know boxers, agree to disagree.
You could have disagreed with my opinion without trying to insult my boxing knowledge you know.

Lol, okay; I only watch heavyweight fighters. Marvin Hagler and Ricardo Lopez are my favorite fighters of all time, Charlie Burley too. You're right; I don't know boxers, agree to disagree.
You could have disagreed with my opinion without trying to insult my boxing knowledge you know.

I mean, if you think Lomachenko is the best boxer you've ever seen, then yes I question your boxing knowledge. LOL Despite my post possibly coming across offensive, It's honestly not my intention. I just think in general it's an outlandish statement. I would say the same thing to one of my friends who said some shit like that. LOL

I definitely don't want you taking it personally though and apologize if it comes across as attacking you in any way.

Barry Mcguigan feels the same way. So do a lot of boxing writers; people are so caught up on the number of fights he's had but when you look at his progress already and his skills in the ring it's really not that outlandish. Who else beats fighters of the caliber of Waters and Russell jr within their first 9 fights? Hell, even Rocky Martinez is a tough out for someone with over 20 fights. Dude lost once in damn near 400 amateur fights; 2 gold medals. Now you wanna make me sound like I'm crazy? Loma is way ahead of his time, just like Benny Leonard was in the 1930s. I'm no casual fan of boxing I've been watching it probably for longer than you've been alive young'un! Lol, as you might guess fight night can get crazy at my house.

Turin

Banned

Good man.

Not a lot of fights filmed of Burley but he seemed amazing. A natural welterweight who gave Archie Moore problems(called him the best he'd ever fought).

Barry Mcguigan feels the same way. So do a lot of boxing writers; people are so caught up on the number of fights he's had but when you look at his progress already and his skills in the ring it's really not that outlandish. Who else beats fighters of the caliber of Waters and Russell jr within their first 9 fights? Hell, even Rocky Martinez is a tough out for someone with over 20 fights. Dude lost once in damn near 400 amateur fights; 2 gold medals. Now you wanna make me sound like I'm crazy? Loma is way ahead of his time, just like Benny Leonard was in the 1930s. I'm no casual fan of boxing I've been watching it probably for longer than you've been alive young'un! Lol, as you might guess fight night can get crazy at my house.

You mean White people overrating White athletes in Minority dominated sports. Sure, I know a lot about that. Where do you think the Great White Hype comes from?

Good man.

Not a lot of fights filmed of Burley but he seemed amazing. A natural welterweight who gave Archie Moore problems(called him the best he'd ever fought).
Floyd is a bootleg version of Burley. That shoulder roll ain't new. Burley was a beast, Black Murderer's Row!

The same way white people call Floyd the best of his era? Come on bro; now you're jumping the shark.

I mean you have plenty of Black people that drink that kool aid too, but at the very least Floyd is among the Greats and proved it time and time again in high profile fights and opponents and wasn't overhyped or overrated.

Loma literally has 9 fights and none against future Hall of Fame fighters and even his performance against Gary Russell wasn't that great despite the disparity in class.

Although I realize he has a lot of inexperience in the Professional Boxing world and is basically learning on the job.

I don't have a problem with people not rating Loma highly because of only 9 fights; I totally get it. I'm just giving reasons why I personally am going out on a limb and saying that he's like no one I've ever seen. He might get knocked out in his next fight, who knows.

I don't have a problem with people not rating Loma highly because of only 9 fights; I totally get it. I'm just giving reasons why I personally am going out on a limb and saying that he's like no one I've ever seen. He might get knocked out in his next fight, who knows.

Bruh, this is what you said:

The hyperbole here is nonsense.

I just gave recent examples of Floyd, Roy, and Sugar Shane looking like monsters when they came out and guess what they lived up to it and nobody had to overhype or overrate them. Sugar Shane is one of the greatest lightweights of all time and a mythical matchup boxing experts would've love to seen was a prime Sugar Shane vs Roberto Duran.

Nobody was saying Floyd was the greatest boxer they've ever seen in his 18th fight after annihilating Genararo Hernandez who was champion, future hall of famer, and 38-1-1 and people thought perhaps they were moving Floyd too soon. Hmmmm.... I wonder why?

You sound like you've fallen victim to what I call "The White person" effect, this phenomenon occurs in Black dominated spaces, and whenever you see a White person do something as good or almost as good as a Black person, then you subconsciously think it's incredible because you haven't seen a White person be that good yet and ultimately overrate it. It happens in sports and music quite a lot.

Now I'm not saying Lomachenko isn't good, from what i've seen he's really good and i enjoy watching him fight but he still has a lot to prove. In the meantime there's no need to overrate or overrhype him because he has athletic and technical abilities similar to top great African American fighters.

Let Loma's greatness speak for itself as he embarks on making his legacy. We'll find out where he stands afterward.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"

Out of the era of the four kings who did you think was the best? (duran,hagler,leonard & hearns)

Interested to know your answer since you lived the era

That "White Person Effect" post is laughable.

It really isn't. I promise you if Lomachenko was Black you wouldn't overrate him like that, because you'd be used to seeing a Black fighter with that blend of athleticism, technical ability, and ring IQ and would hold him to a higher standard of actually proving it in the ring consistently against top opponents instead of already crowning him.

Lol, yeah! I ain't even opening that can of worms.

Cool, Loma's the best boxer you've ever seen. LOL

Even then it'd still be hyperbole, but I could at least understand if you saw Loma dominate and box circles around Rigondeaux. Despite still disagreeing, I'd at least could get the excitement and hype for such a statement.

Tater Tot

I gotta go with Hagler. He was the man. He would have beat Sugar if they had fought earlier I believe.

I agree if they would have fought earlier and it would have been 15 rounds not 12 but I kind of favor Sugar Ray. I always say that Duran did the best out of all record wise but between the four Sugar.

Anyways last question but a bit back story.

I got into boxing when I started training back in 2012. So I was indoctrinated with the aspect of only undefeated boxers are worth their lick of salt. Is this a recent trend? I have had many arguments with other boxers and even just aficionado because they really put a big emphasis on that zero.

It seems that a lot of people write boxers off if they do not carry that undefeated zero. For example in mma it does not matter if a fighter is undefeated they can still be a GOAT but it seems that in boxing just 1 loss and that boxer is viewed as overhyped or trashtier. Was it always like this? If not when did you see it change? (The attitude of carrying that precious zero)

I agree if they would have fought earlier and it would have been 15 rounds not 12 but I kind of favor Sugar Ray. I always say that Duran did the best out of all record wise but between the four Sugar.

Anyways last question but a bit back story.

I got into boxing when I started training back in 2012. So I was indoctrinated with the aspect of only undefeated boxers are worth their lick of salt. Is this a recent trend? I have had many arguments with other boxers and even just aficionado because they really put a big emphasis on that zero.

It seems that a lot of people write boxers off if they do not carry that undefeated zero. For example in mma it does not matter if a fighter is undefeated they can still be a GOAT but it seems that in boxing just 1 loss and that boxer is viewed as overhyped or trashtier. Was it always like this? If not when did you see it change? (The attitude of carrying that precious zero)

Undefeated records are good for marketing and promotion, but are meaningless compared to your strength of opponents and your performances against them.

It depends on who you lost too and how you lost. Undefeated boxers tend to be trash tier when they have inflated records against tomato cans, and as soon as they step up they get exposed and lose embarrassingly, and even then you have instances where you've had boxers come back from that and have a respectable career.

Tater Tot

Undefeated records are good for marketing and promotion, but are meaningless compared to your strength of opponents and your performances against them.

It depends on who you lost too and how you lost. Undefeated boxers tend to be trash tier when they have inflated records against tomato cans, and as soon as they step up they get exposed and lose embarrassingly, and even then you have instances where you've had boxers come back from that and have a respectable career.

I just saw a great boxing documentary on Netflix called Counterpunch. They talk about the perception of undefeated fighters. Everything you stated is true and it was confirmed in the documentary.

It is really good! Shows Peter Quillin before and after he mismanaged his career as well and a few up and comers.

I just saw a great boxing documentary on Netflix called Counterpunch. They talk about the perception of undefeated fighters. Everything you stated is true and it was confirmed in the documentary.

It is really good! Shows Peter Quillin before and after he mismanaged his career as well and a few up and comers.

I also saw it. It makes me wonder why these "sanctioning bodies" are in the sport, and of course its $$$. People like Haymon and Schafer are poisoning boxing as well.

Cam F. Awesome should be going into the pros.

Top Bottom