• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

cthoaa said:
I just searched for it, but these make note that they might get pulled soon:

Margarito mocking Roach's Parkinson's Disease
Margarito and Rios Making Fun of Freddie Roach's Parkinsons

The titles should have been enough of a warning. I only went a few seconds into one video. That was enough of that.

EDIT: I just looked up Brandon Rios. He beat Lamont Peterson? Crazy...

EDIT 2: Opps. Beaten by a mile. It has to be Top Rank trying to clean up this mess.
To be honest, I saw the videos the other day and found them slightly amusing. It reminded me of the kind of shit talking you'd do with your friends if someone had constantly been bad mouthing you. You can't talk shit about just about everyone and not expect to get some shit back. After all, this is boxing not ballet.

J Tourettes said:
To be honest, I saw the videos the other day and found them slightly amusing. It reminded me of the kind of shit talking you'd do with your friends if someone had constantly been bad mouthing you. You can't talk shit about just about everyone and not expect to get some shit back. After all, this is boxing not ballet.

For one, Margarito and Roach aren't friends. Secondly, the shit talking Roach does about Antonio is calling into question his character because of the hand wrap thing, which is more than fair territory. Making fun of somebody having a debilitating illness is not on the same level. Might as well make fun of a cripple or a kid with down syndrome. God forbid one of Margarito's kids ends up with some sort of illness, or shit, he's a fucking BOXER, he's one or two bad punches away from being in bad mental shape himself. Karma's a bitch.

Ninja Scooter said:
For one, Margarito and Roach aren't friends. Secondly, the shit talking Roach does about Antonio is calling into question his character because of the hand wrap thing, which is more than fair territory. Making fun of somebody having a debilitating illness is not on the same level. Might as well make fun of a cripple or a kid with down syndrome. God forbid one of Margarito's kids ends up with some sort of illness, or shit, he's a fucking BOXER, he's one or two bad punches away from being in bad mental shape himself. Karma's a bitch.
I didn't say Roach and Marga were friends, I was referring to Marga and his friends. Roach never has a good word to say about any boxers that aren't in his stable so for him to get the piss ripped out of him by a rival boxer in private doesn't surprise or offend me. Was it in poor taste? Sure. Am I going to get offended on Roaches and every other Parkinsons sufferers behalf? No because neogaf has enough white knights it is. Family Guy does more offensive stuff every week (and isn't funny) but I don't cry about that either. I have a severely handicapped cousin but I'm not going to pretend I've never laughed at a poor taste handicap joke.

see5harp

J Tourettes said:
I didn't say Roach and Marga were friends, I was referring to Marga and his friends. Roach never has a good word to say about any boxers that aren't in his stable so for him to get the piss ripped out of him by a rival boxer in private doesn't surprise or offend me. Was it in poor taste? Sure. Am I going to get offended on Roaches and every other Parkinsons sufferers behalf? No because neogaf has enough white knights it is. Family Guy does more offensive stuff every week (and isn't funny) but I don't cry about that either. I have a severely handicapped cousin but I'm not going to pretend I've never laughed at a poor taste handicap joke.

I agree. It's in poor taste. Margarito was caught cheating though, it's not like Freddie or Pacquiao was talking shit about Margarito's diabetic Mother.

cthoaa

Margarito retreats after mocking Roach
“I want you to know I would never make fun of Freddie Roach or anyone with that disease,” Margarito said. “I have someone in my family who has it. I’ll tell you how it happened: There was a guy in the gym with a camera and he said, ‘Freddie Roach said you’re going to be knocked out.’ I shook my hands and said, ‘Oh, I’m really scared now.’ ”

Earlier in the news conference, Rios began his remarks by apologizing. He was clearly mocking Roach, but said Thursday he made a bad mistake.

“I take responsibility for what I did,” Rios said. “I’m a man about it. It was wrong and I’m sorry.”

Roach was extraordinarily angry after seeing the video late Tuesday, and when Garcia attempted to apologize at the main-event news conference on Wednesday, Roach didn’t accept it and said he felt it was not sincere.

But after a brief telephone conversation on Thursday, Roach said he accepted Garcia’s apology and planned to put the incident behind him.

“He gave me what seemed like a very sincere apology,” Roach said. “He told me I’d always opened my door to him, got him sparring partners and helped him along the way. I told him I accepted his apology and ‘Let’s just move on with the fight now.’

“I would shake [Margarito’s] hand to end this. I think they realize what they did was maybe a little bit too much; they went overboard. I didn’t talk to [Garcia] about the video. He said I was throwing stuff at them and they wanted to throw back at me. He said, ‘You’re the greatest trainer in the world; I know that. If I beat you, I know you’ll still be the greatest. You’ve had way more champions than I have. You’ve always been good to me. You’ve always let me come to your gym,’ which is true. So I accepted his apology.
Also:
Seckbach, who bills himself as the “embedded correspondent,” had been barred from Garcia’s gym by HBO’s Mark Taffet.
Hehe. :D

cthoaa

Weigh-ins for the Pacquiao-Margarito card are scheduled for 6PM EST/3PM PST. Top Rank's site is expected to start coverage at 5:45PM/2:45PM. ESPN.com and Yahoo! will also have streams.

The fourth and final episode of Pacquiao-Margarito airs tonight on HBO. First run is at 9:30PM ET/PT.

EDIT:

Pacquiao-Margarito Weigh-ins (Yahoo!)

Weight-to-make was 150. Margarito was 150; Pacquiao 144.6.

cthoaa

see5harp said:
Kinda sad about Seckbach. He's been around for a long time and I know he's a really good guy.
Only from the Oxnard gym, it sounds like. I am picturing his face when he got the news.

Anyway, it seems like all the people (Roach, other fighters, etc.) like him.

EDIT: Hmm... maybe not at the moment. From all the videos that have been posted, it seemed like Freddie Roach and Elie got along okay, even if they did get annoyed with one another at times. (I'm thinking of one of the interviews before Khan-Salita.) I haven't followed the build to this fight so much.
Taffet phoned Top Rank public relations director Lee Samuels, who had Seckbach banned from the gym. Roach personally banned Seckbach from his Wild Card Boxing Club in Los Angeles.

see5harp

Ellie just seems like a fan that has built up a good amount of access through persistance. Seeing him do pushups after Kobe hits a half court shot is great video, whatever you think about his content. He's never been super professional but I respect someone willing to get out there and do what he does. He made a mistake putting that into his video though, he's good friends with the Pacquiao camp so I don't know why he thought that was a good idea.

cthoaa

see5harp said:
Ellie just seems like a fan that has built up a good amount of access through persistance.
He does come across as pretty irrepressible. I've een surprised at how chummy he is with so many people, especially NBA guys. It's probably one of the reasons he caught Margarito acting foolish: he's more likely to be relaxed and mess around when it's someone who is a friendly face rather than a full camera crew who is taping for HBO.

cthoaa

Battersea Power Station said:
What are the fights beforehand? I'm trying to make dinner plans and want to estimate what time I should be home to see Manny. Thanks.
Oops, sorry so late. The main event usually gets under way about two hours into the broadcast, so ~11PM EST/8PM PST.

HBO is supposed to show three undercard fights: Jones-Soto Karass, Rigondeaux-Cordoba, and Rios-Lowther. Top Rank is streaming untelevised fights on its website starting at 6PM EST/3PM PST.

I could count the amount of punches thrown in that round on one hand. Fraudley didn't throw one. It's an absolute joke that he's fighting for a world title.

Bungieware said:
I could count the amount of punches thrown in that round on one hand. Fraudley didn't throw one. It's an absolute joke that he's fighting for a world title.

Thrown two in the second round. Its an improvement I guess! :lol

brain_stew said:
Thrown two in the second round. Its an improvement I guess! :lol

I have no idea what sort of game plan Harrison is going for.... oh well it's over now anyway. What a joke. I can't believe Sky charge for that, and put Pacman on Sky Sports 1

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
:lol

Haye saying he stuck money on the 3rd and told everyone he knew to do the same :lol

So is Kelly Pavlik fighting tonight or what? I can't seem to find a finalized card anywhere, even on Top Rank's site.

Edit: found it, he's not on the card :(

Televised Card:

Omri Lowther vs. Brandon Rios
Ricardo Gordoba vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux
Jesus Soto-Karass vs. Mike Jones
Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito

One thing is for sure, the parallels between tonight's fight between Pacquiao and Margarito and Fedor vs. Werdum in MMA are striking.

The fight between Fedor and Overeem that made perfect sense didn't happen yet again and here was Fabricio Werdum, someone everyone expected Fedor to walk through and then he lost out of nowhere.

Won fifty quid on that Haye farce. I fucking hate Haye nowadays and I don't blame Audley for that shite fight. Anyone who knows boxing knew that he would fight like that. The man is shit scared of being hit which obviously isn't going to help in pro boxing. Haye was offered fifty/fifty with no options for the Klit fight but still shat it so fuck him. For someone who did the business at cruiser (made me a fan along the way), he's been a massive disappointment at heavy. I hope either Klit knicks him out if he ever faces then.

Rant over. Debating sticking that fifty quid on Marga. Pac should box rings around him but Marga looked in awesome shape and Pac looked a little soft at the weig,h in. Also, Pac was open to the uppercut against Clottey, Clottey couldn't miss when he actually threw it. So there is some slim hope of a Marga victory. One thing for certain is that Marga wo n't be getting a close points decision, powers that be won't allow that.

see5harp

RJNavarrete said:

Margarito is a slow sorta strong walk forward kinda guy. He turned Cotto's face into raw hamburger. He's capable of throwing a shit load of punches and can probably take as many as he throws with his incredible chin. Do not be surprised if he ends up with Parkinson's 20 years from now. He looked horrible in his last two fights, one of which was where he got knocked out by the also horrible Sugar Shane Mosely. He has a puncher's chance as with any larger fighter against Pacquiao, but he's going to walk through a shitload to get off.

dream said:
Really, this fight is going to turn out to be a contest of speed. Margarito's going to get battered.

Idk chief. Margarito has much heavier hands than anyone pac-man has fought before and has a killer instinct. I also think he is much hungrier than pac-man. But Pacquiao is still Pacquiao. Should be a fun fight, if anything

see5harp

J Tourettes said:
Won fifty quid on that Haye farce. I fucking hate Haye nowadays and I don't blame Audley for that shite fight. Anyone who knows boxing knew that he would fight like that. The man is shit scared of being hit which obviously isn't going to help in pro boxing. Haye was offered fifty/fifty with no options for the Klit fight but still shat it so fuck him. For someone who did the business at cruiser (made me a fan along the way), he's been a massive disappointment at heavy. I hope either Klit knicks him out if he ever faces then.

Rant over. Debating sticking that fifty quid on Marga. Pac should box rings around him but Marga looked in awesome shape and Pac looked a little soft at the weig,h in. Also, Pac was open to the uppercut against Clottey, Clottey couldn't miss when he actually threw it. So there is some slim hope of a Marga victory. One thing for certain is that Marga wo n't be getting a close points decision, powers that be won't allow that.

It would really be a good bet seeing as he does have a chance and he'll probably be a 6:1 underdog.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How long until the actual fight starts? It's getting late here so might go to sleep for a bit.

dream

goldlion054 said:
Idk chief. Margarito has much heavier hands than anyone pac-man has fought before and has a killer instinct. I also think he is much hungrier than pac-man. But Pacquiao is still Pacquiao. Should be a fun fight, if anything

Well, yeah, it's going to be a filipino riot if Margarito touches Pacquiao. I think Margarito's terrible hand speed is going to prevent that from happening, though.

dream said:
Well, yeah, it's going to be a filipino riot if Margarito touches Pacquiao. I think Margarito's terrible hand speed is going to prevent that from happening, though.
:lol :lol

Yea, but Pac-Man is gonna have to be careful with body shots from Margarito. Either way, i agree with you. Pacquaio's hand speed will be to much in the end. I just want to see him get rocked a few times.

dream said:
Really, this fight is going to turn out to be a contest of speed. Margarito's going to get battered.
Indeed. Marga throws such slow, looping punches that pac should be able to land a few before marga has a chance to get off. The only reason I've stuck money on marga is because of the size difference, the fact he comes to fight (unlike Clottey), manny looking soft, he's 5/1 underdog and the fact that I can't withdraw my money from my betting account anyway. I'm seventy percent certain of a manny win but liked marga's odds.

see5harp

I will say that Margarito does look ripped as fuck. He better stick that jab out there frequently...in his last fight he looked like he was in slow motion.

dream

J Tourettes said:
Indeed. Marga throws such slow, looping punches that pac should be able to land a few before marga has a chance to get off. The only reason I've stuck money on marga is because of the size difference, the fact he comes to fight (unlike Clottey), manny looking soft, he's 5/1 underdog and the fact that I can't withdraw my money from my betting account anyway. I'm seventy percent certain of a manny win but liked marga's odds.

I wouldn't feel too badly about having action on Margarito at 5-1. I think he wins at least 1 in 6 fights with Pacquiao. He just needs to bully the shit out of him. It's a bad night for Manny if he gets backed against the ropes with Margarito throwing wild body shots and hooks.

Top Bottom