• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Aren't their rumours of a super flyweight tournament going around, including Donaire? Unless I imagined it.

Well, apparently TR doesn't want a drawn out long S6, they want a 1 time elimination 8 MAN tournament if they're gonna commit to a tournament with Montiel and Donaire. That's actually legitimate, because the S6 format has proved to be somewhat slow. It sucks to rush so many championship level fights into a smaller time period, so the only other option is to cut out the number of chances.

Esch

Banned
TONIGHT! on HBO boxing after dark

IMG_1185.jpg

Hometown boy devon alexander vs andriy kotelnik! Should be a tough contest and i'm expecting a damn good showing from both.

Tavoris Cloud v. Glen Johnson will also be televised in a pretty sweet action fight as well, i expect great things of tavoris.

Spinks-K9 is also on the undercard but it wont be televised.

cthoaa

Alexander should end up too active and accurate for Kotelnik to effectively come in. Johnson's old (though he's been that for a while now), but Cloud's been away for almost a year now. If Cloud is rusty and can't establish himself early on, Johnson could build momentum and apply world-class pressure down the stretch.

The favorites are favorites and it's better for boxing's near future if they win -- Alexander can have a big fight vs. Bradley or Khan or defend vs. other 140-pd. guys; Cloud would get the winner of Dawson-Pascal next week -- but it's hard for me to root against Glen Johnson: he's had too much hard luck in decisions.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, i was at the fight and I have to say, being a hometown fighter, that devon jobbed andriy blind. He clearly lost that fight. I can see if you gave him a split decision based on activity, but it was clear as day to me who had the cleaner, more effective punching and who dictated the pace of the fight.

hayeha.jpg

:lol

cthoaa

How did the crowd react to that decision? And to Cory Spinks? I watched the first fight on HBO, but slipped in and out during the main event. Not out of boredom; just sleepy. Though I did get to see Lederman's scorecard and Alexander's "Bradley, you're next!"

I wouldn't necessarily say Kotelnik was robbed, I thought it could've gone either way. Alexander thought a horrible fight though, has to be said. Hopefully we'll still get Bradley - Alexander next despite both of their unimpressive recent showings.

Now, if only Khan would man up and fight Maidana we could have a mini 140 knockout tournament.

Esch

Banned
cthoaa said:
How did the crowd react to that decision? And to Cory Spinks? I watched the first fight on HBO, but slipped in and out during the main event. Not out of boredom; just sleepy. Though I did get to see Lederman's scorecard and Alexander's "Bradley, you're next!"

I mean, he got cheers(alexander), but people around me were talking about him losing the fight. The arena was quiet except for when alexander did land a good punch here and there, or when he was in trouble. Lederman in particular was full of shit, i heard his commentary on the replay and it was honestly disgraceful.

In regard to spinks-K9, cory got boos, got called a bum, basically shamed in front of our entire town. terrible, humiliating defeat and no matter what he says that is a career ending victory. K9 was hungry. He came in looking for a strap and he got it. spinks is a bum, and i wont pay to see him on any card ever.

J Tourettes said:
I wouldn't necessarily say Kotelnik was robbed, I thought it could've gone either way. Alexander thought a horrible fight though, has to be said. Hopefully we'll still get Bradley - Alexander next despite both of their unimpressive recent showings.

Now, if only Khan would man up and fight Maidana we could have a mini 140 knockout tournament.

Strongly disagree. He was landing the more effective, clean punching and was controlling the pace of the fight thoroughly. There is 0 point to giving the fight to Alexander simply based on his level of activity. He threw like 500+ jabs over kotelnik's guard. Couldn't change up his gameplan. He was thoroughly outboxed and even he knew it, look at their faces before the decision. there was no way andriy was gonna get the nod on the cards on a don king fight for a don king fighter in his hometown though, But even then, 116-112 is highway, shameless robbery.

cthoaa

EschatonDX said:
I mean, he got cheers(alexander), but people around me were talking about him losing the fight. The arena was quiet except for when alexander did land a good punch here and there, or when he was in trouble. Lederman in particular was full of shit, i heard his commentary on the replay and it was honestly disgraceful.

In regard to spinks-K9, cory got boos, got called a bum, basically shamed in front of our entire town. terrible, humiliating defeat and no matter what he says that is a career ending victory. K9 was hungry. He came in looking for a strap and he got it. spinks is a bum, and i wont pay to see him on any card ever.
Okay, I was just wondering: it seemed like in recent years Spinks had been batting around .500 in front of his hometown and his days as any kind of attraction there had to be shortening. This one had to be the dealbreaker, though I don't know if he was strongly favored going into that fight.

re: Alexander, it seems Mayweather even went to Kotelnik and told him he had won the fight. Devon and Floyd are supposed to be good, but they're been snipping at each other little. (Alexander said something about Mayweather avoiding fights, and now this.)

Esch

Banned
cthoaa said:
257q1qc.jpg

Chad Dawson - Jean Pascal Weigh-in @ FightFan.com in Montreal, Canada (YouTube)

Official weights: Pascal 174.2, Dawson 174.11

Pascal is the WBC's light heavyweight champion proper; Dawson is the IBO and interim WBC champion. Winner will unify those titles and get the Ring Magazine light heavyweight belt, succeeding Joe Calzaghe.

my man BAD CHAD is gonna win on points, or he will get shamelessly jobbed in montreal.

if they take his 0 i am gonna be so pissed

cthoaa

Bad Chad. It's frustrating seeing him back off his man so much. I thought little of Pascal's toughness back when he passed on Miranda following their FNF doubleheader, but after his fight vs Froch and tonight, he's plenty strong. (Didn't see either fight vs Diaconu.)

Esch

Banned
this is the difference between a fighter who was forced to improve after a loss and a guy that got complacent defending his 0

tsk

A lot of people on a boxing forum that I post on are tipping Dawson in the rematch. I can't see it myself but am looking forward to Pascal - Bute.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
A lot of people on a boxing forum that I post on are tipping Dawson in the rematch. I can't see it myself but am looking forward to Pascal - Bute.

I'd much rather see Cloud-Pascal first before the re. it wasnt a controversial rematch, give them some time to stew and match them up with the other guys in the division before they give SMW's a crack at the championship.

cthoaa

In PR:

2nvyoh.jpg

Ivan Calderon (32-0-1, 6 KOs) vs Giovani Segura (24-1-1, 20 KOs) - WBO and WBA (Super) light flyweight titles

This is on Integrated Sports PPV, but I remember there are sometimes legal streams of Calderon's fights (PR Best Boxing) for purchase.

I think there was a period in early 2007 where I thought Calderon was better than everyone. He was so hard to pin down and, though they weren't strong, his crisp, clean punches covered his tracks beautifully.

But it's been a few years since then: he's older, slower, and gets caught quite a bit now. (Esp. with headbutts -- three of his last four fights have stopped due to accidental ones.) I haven't seen Segura but his high KO percentage stands out, esp. against others at these lower weights.

The WBA champion becomes a "super" champion when he unifies his belt with another world title. (WBO light flyweight.) Calderon's Ring Magazine junior flyweight title is also on the line. Segura's rated #1 by the magazine's panel.

In Argentina:

Marcos Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs) v. DeMarcus Corley (37-13-1, 22 KOs) - WBA light welterweight title

I think it's easy to call this for Maidana as he's fighting at home. I am not a big fan of Maidana's technique, but, for the sake of the light welterweight division, hope he has success for as he's one of the big players at that weight. For the sake of children, I hope nice things to happen Chop-Chop (like a winning lottery ticket or something) because he's apparently taking care of 14 kids. (I read seven are from his brother, who passed away.)

cthoaa

Yah, it was too good. But I was kinda hoping for a different outcome.

Segura's determination to attack the body in the face of all those counter lefts was awesome. There was a three-round stretch -- I think it started in round four with the waved-off knockdown -- that was really quality. But in the end, I felt bad watching the once-elusive Calderon get stuck on the ropes, eating those bodys\ shots and eventually having to take the ten-count on a knee. And it's not just the age, but also his size: like watching Muggsy Bogues get dunked on or Rey Mysterio get killed by a heavyweight.

After seeing both broadcasts, Box Azteca's call >>> PR Best Boxing/Integrated Sports. (MX version is on YouTube.)

Esch

Banned
PBF is a joke right now. Honestly to me that video was more shameful than no mas or anything similar, cowardice and racism balled up into one awful duck.

disgraceful

harSon

Banned
I can see why he's pissed, Pacquaio was a complete dick during the first negotiations, completely refusing to compromise on any matter, and then he had the balls to accept an agreement that was no longer on the table and try to take the moral high ground with it. The media has done absolutely nothing to call out Pacquaio on his bullshit, so I can see where Mayweather's anger is coming from, but that video is disgusting and there's absolutely no reason to throw out such bigoted statements.

I always liked Mayweather as a boxer and knew his character was less than stellar, but wasn't aware of the fact that it was this bad. It's extremely disappointing and sickening, but I can't say I'm surprised considering his father and upbringing...

SUPREME1

Banned
PBF just completely embarassed himself.

I don't think he could have done a better job of instantly killing off any boderline fans.

Seriously, PBF? Smh... just pathetic.

Also, not that it makes any difference whatsoever... But I felt compelled to point a few things out:

Filipino =/= Japanese (the sushi comment). I mean, if your gonna just come out as a blatant racist, you might wanna at least get your stereotypes right. Calling him yellow is about as low calss as you can get too. Wonder how he'd react if a light skinned fighter said he was going to kick his black ass... and have him slice up some watermelon and cook up some ribs for him (forgive my blunt use of vile sterotypes, GAF, just trying to make a point).

Also, yeah his name is Emmanuel... so? Is PBF bothered that Pacquiao is known by his nickname, Manny? Or does PBF just not see how Emmanuel could be the origin for the nickname Manny? I don't think Pacquiao's ever said Manny is his birth name, lol. All athletes named Mike, Tim, Dan, etc. have more traditional (ie long) first names... So what's he trying to insinuate with saying he's using a fake name? Lol. Seems like he's just grasping at straws.

With PBF's sorted family history, he sure seems to think his sh*t don't stink. Pacquiao is beloved and revered in his home country by millions and millions and millions of people. PBF will never be able to say the same.

New money... same old ghetto ass mind.

cthoaa

This probably doesn't help or add anything, but Pacland is such an awful place. I'm Filipino-American and that site would hurt my heart and frustrate me back when I would look at it, the kinds of comments made towards other races and Mexicans especially. (Morales was my guy.) It wasn't just unchecked in the forums, but even in the main site's opinion pieces, which got to be unbearable.

I laughed a little at the irony when I was linked to someone's editorial there attacking Adam Carolla for his racist rant after talking about Manny last year. (And for his part, Carolla got Thailand mixed up with the Philippines.) I'll just imagine how much worse the furor will be over this.

Esch

Banned
cthoaa said:
This probably doesn't help or add anything, but Pacland is such an awful place. I'm Filipino-American and that site would hurt my heart and frustrate me back when I would look at it, the kinds of comments made towards other races and Mexicans especially. (Morales was my guy.) It wasn't just unchecked in the forums, but even in the main site's opinion pieces, which got to be unbearable.

I laughed a little at the irony when I was linked to someone's editorial there attacking Adam Carolla for his racist rant after talking about Manny last year. (And for his part, Carolla got Thailand mixed up with the Philippines.) I'll just imagine how much worse the furor will be over this.

Eh, well at least they make good gifs?

Agreed though, Pacland is pure unadulterated garbage... I post on ESB(mostly for the classic forum stuff) and it's been a shitfest there. I'm sure BoxingScene is the same.

In other news, felix sturm eked it out over lorenzo. good on im.

SALIDO GAMBOA 9/11 bitches

I like Peter's gameplan so far. He's getting inside quite effectively.

edit: Uhhh nevermind, now he's just coming forward with no head movement and he looks gassed.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/963857/Ricky-Hatton-drugs-shame.html

The shameful images of 31-year-old national hero Ricky, nicknamed The Hitman for his ring victories, were captured at a Manchester hotel two weeks ago.

And this was one bout in which the two-times world welterweight supremo got really hammered - knocked out by a marathon 10-hour bender including SEVEN lines of coke in THREE separate drug sessions, 11 pints of Guinness, four vodkas, two glasses of wine and several Sambucas.

His fall from grace - just months after hanging up his gloves - will stun millions of fans around the world, the many charities who rely on him, his loyal fiancée Jennifer Dooley and his nine-year-old son.

I fucking hate the News of the World.
Who gives a fuck if a retired boxer us cutting loose after many years if dedication to the sport? Anyone would think that their newsroom isn't awash with coke.

NBA Player Allegedly Triggered Mayweather Violence

According to the report, the 10-year-old son of Mayweather and Harris told cops he "saw his dad was on his mother and was hitting and kicking her."

The police report says Harris was taken to Southern Hills Hospital and treated for "minor facial injuries and a sore left arm." Pictures of the injuries were taken.

The police report goes on to say while Harris was at the hospital Mayweather called Georgia Parker -- Harris' friend who lives in the house -- and told her to get out of the house.

As for why Mayweather was arrested for grand larceny Friday ... the police report says he left with her Apple iPhone 4 ... valued at $322.17.

It's crazy that they want people to pay $44.95 to listen to Lampley openly mocking the main event, and hating every other fight for various reasons. It seems like the only way to excite him is to put Pacquiao or Cotto in there.

smurfx

get some go again
dammit all i didn't know el canelo was fighting or else i would have watched this event. or at least i would have watched his fight.

Esch

Banned
Main event was a stinker but Canelo and Ortiz brought the ruckus. First time i've seen vic really as "vicious" as he used to be since the Maidana fight. Time to pick up his pace, GBP.

Esch

Banned
beatbeat said:
Had no clue that people care about Canelo in the states.

The boxing fans with a clue do. His talent has been featured in some undercards for pretty big bouts, and people expect great things from him. I'm interested to see how far he can go. I've seen vulnerability in him so far, and to be honest JMW-SMW is going to be incredibly competitive in about 1-3 years, so...We'll see.

But he's got the goods to make waves.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Paul Williams/Sergio rematch is to be in Atlantic City in Nov... wife and I are seriously thinking about attending....

Top Bottom