• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Just bought tickets for the wife and I to see the Paul Williams/Sergio Martinez rematch in Atlantic City!

cthoaa

DarienA said:
Paul Williams/Sergio rematch is to be in Atlantic City in Nov... wife and I are seriously thinking about attending....
From the reaction after the win vs. Pavlik, it seems Martinez won some fans or at least had decent support in New Jersey.

I like Paul a lot, but to me Sergio has been just as likable and his career is on more of an upswing. (I'm disregarding their ages.) Williams could maybe deserve a nine-point victory this time, but he'd have to be smart, tall, and long: there wouldn't be nearly the amount of fireworks or drama of their first bout.

Esch

Banned
Apparently Dirrell is injured.

Damn shame this tournament is falling apart, I was really looking forward to the next stage.

EschatonDX said:
Apparently Dirrell is injured.

Damn shame this tournament is falling apart, I was really looking forward to the next stage.
You'll have to excuse me for not believing him. Neither he nor Ward wanted to fight which I think is disgraceful. Showtime should sue the pair of them.

Also, why the hell is Williams - Sergio at a catch weight? I liked Williams but I've been going off him recently as my dislike of Haymon seems to be rubbing off on him.

Esch

Banned
talisayNon said:
Nevermind.

Tickets bought :D.

Is this going to be as good as the first one? It better be.

It's a FotY contender for sure along with

Marquez-Katsidis
Khan-Maidana
Pacquiao-Margarito
Abraham-Froch

November is gonna be fucking INSANE

Speevy

Banned
I could have told them that a sporting event of any kind planned over several years with multiple participants wouldn't work.

cthoaa

nkVHb.jpg

ESPN's Dan Rafael tweeted his HoF ballot and blogged about his selections.

Not sure what I was expecting, but the actual ballot is basic.

As mentioned in the article, the newly eligible boxers (five years retired) are Mike Tyson, JCC Sr., and Kostya Tszyu.

I can't argue too much with his picks. Naz pick may ruffle a few feathers but he is undoubtedly a first ballot for me. He essentially unified his division and made the mega paydays a reality for the little guys.

Esch

Banned
I would have gone with JCC, Tyson, Ernesto Marcel, Yoko Gushiken, and Wilfredo Vazquez but that's just me

Naz was a prick. Exciting, funny fighter but he never rebounded successfully against his one legitimately HoF level fighter, so that's that.

He was/is a prick but he changed the face of boxing for the little guys and seeing as it's the hall of fame (also seeing some of the other names that have been put in in the past) I'm fine with it.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
He was/is a prick but he changed the face of boxing for the little guys and seeing as it's the hall of fame (also seeing some of the other names that have been put in in the past) I'm fine with it.

I'm not saying he isn't HoF worthy for revitalizing the interest in the lower weight classes. I am saying that i'd jump at the chance to give a ton of other dudes a shout for HoF than him. :lol

So HBO and 24/7 are doing a wonderful job again and making the Paq/Margarito fight look a lot more compelling than it probably is. Im kinda getting hyped for the fight, though I do think they are exaggerating it a bit to make it look like Manny isn't prepared and is more interested in appearances and politics than boxing.

smurfx

get some go again
Ninja Scooter said:
So HBO and 24/7 are doing a wonderful job again and making the Paq/Margarito fight look a lot more compelling than it probably is. Im kinda getting hyped for the fight, though I do think they are exaggerating it a bit to make it look like Manny isn't prepared and is more interested in appearances and politics than boxing.
i surprised that i currently have 0% hype for this fight. i honestly don't care if margarito wins or loses. the whole hand wraps controversy turned me off to him as a fighter even though i was a huge fan.

Ninja Scooter said:

If I knew for certain that Marga's chain wasn't cracked, I'd bet big on him but I've not seen any of the 24/7s. As it stands I'm leaning to a wide UD for Pac, possibly a late stoppage.

smurfx

get some go again
i doubt the fight will go to decision. pac will probably bloody him good and the ref will stop the fight around the 7th or 8th round. pac is way too quick for margarito and will pretty much use him as a punching bag.

Ninja Scooter said:

I can't believe anyone would give this fight the time of day. Another excuse for Arum to milk Pac for all its worth.

Everything is just hype until Arum gives the boxing world what they really want to see.

Esch

Banned
I'm gonna be honest, Pac-Cheato isn't really bringing the hype for me right now. I'll watch it, but i'm not stoked. Now JMM-Katsidis, Lopez-Rafa, and Khan-Maidana? That shit i'm absolutely amped for. It's gonna be great!

I'm not hyped for Pac - Marg either but the others you mention should be great. I'm sticking some money on Maidana to win within the first minute at 50/1. Worth a speculative punt with that chin of Khan's. In theory he should be able to box rings around Maidana all night but I'm not seeing it happen myself. There's a reason why he's been kept away from punchers since Prescott.

Esch

Banned
If Maidana doesn't bang him out in the first 3-5 he really doesn't have much of a chance, he looked like shit against a shitty Corley a couple months back and as a result i don't expect great, or even good things from him.

Khan TKO late is probably still where i'm at.

HiResDes

You know some people like a good heal...He is still my favorite boxer of all-time, and this is mostly because of his loose style and flamboyant theatrics.

EschatonDX said:
If Maidana doesn't bang him out in the first 3-5 he really doesn't have much of a chance, he looked like shit against a shitty Corley a couple months back and as a result i don't expect great, or even good things from him.

Khan TKO late is probably still where i'm at.
Maidana didn't look quite right against Corley as he didn't seem to be cutting off the ring as well as he normally does. His punches seemed to be lacking pop also. I'm hoping it was an off night (maybe he was carrying an injury?) but I agree that if he doesn't win it in the first half, he's unlikely to win at all. If Khan were to win by tko, I think it'll be a soft stoppage from some shoe shining. Khan's power isn't all that.

Esch

Banned
J Tourettes said:
Maidana didn't look quite right against Corley as he didn't seem to be cutting off the ring as well as he normally does. His punches seemed to be lacking pop also. I'm hoping it was an off night (maybe he was carrying an injury?) but I agree that if he doesn't win it in the first half, he's unlikely to win at all. If Khan were to win by tko, I think it'll be a soft stoppage from some shoe shining. Khan's power isn't all that.

The reason behind his condition seems pretty obvious to me, the common plague of almost all modern fighters: poor training regimen, and awful awful inactivity. Maidana's career management is like wolfsbane to a young fighter and it shows. You're right, he wasn't cutting the ring worth much, his hands were much slower than they usually are(his best speed based attribute) and he didn't seem to be cracking away at Corley much at all. That is not good, at all. The Corley fight was a joke even as a tuneup, the guy hasn't really had it for years now, and he still came out of it looking mediocre.

The TKO will of course be based on accumulation. I expect Khan to land on Maidana almost at will, look at how Maidana did with Kotelnik, and that was in his arguably best performance as of yet behind Ortiz(i think he deserved the draw at the very least). The superior boxer in Khan is going to give him even worse of a time. The ref will stop it on cuts or just from too much head damage. Maidana isn't the most durable fighter either imo, so that'll play a part.

EschatonDX said:
The reason behind his condition seems pretty obvious to me, the common plague of almost all modern fighters: poor training regimen, and awful awful inactivity. Maidana's career management is like wolfsbane to a young fighter and it shows. You're right, he wasn't cutting the ring worth much, his hands were much slower than they usually are(his best speed based attribute) and he didn't seem to be cracking away at Corley much at all. That is not good, at all. The Corley fight was a joke even as a tuneup, the guy hasn't really had it for years now, and he still came out of it looking mediocre.

The TKO will of course be based on accumulation. I expect Khan to land on Maidana almost at will, look at how Maidana did with Kotelnik, and that was in his arguably best performance as of yet behind Ortiz(i think he deserved the draw at the very least). The superior boxer in Khan is going to give him even worse of a time. The ref will stop it on cuts or just from too much head damage. Maidana isn't the most durable fighter either imo, so that'll play a part.

I thought that Maidana won against Kotelnik but it was close. We'll just have to wait and see about the Khan fight. I think Maidana has a real bee in his bonnet and is a man on a mission. He already showed up Ortiz (who should've won if he'd boxed clever) for GBP, his reward for that was a tough match-up with Cayo (despite being Khan's mando) which he also came through and then he had that poor showing against Corley. He's forced Khan's hand here and I believe he'll end the hype train in December.

Not 100% sure as Khan is the superior boxer and should be able to take the W relatively easily but I can't see him avoiding Maidana's bombs. Even the best defensive boxers take a few flush shots every fight and Khan certainly isn't anywhere near the top of the defensive boxer pile.

I can easily see it being a repeat of this glorious KO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shUqYIkMXu0 The worry with Khan's chin isn't the bombs that put him down but the left jab that had him doing a Bambi on Ice.

Esch

Banned
Look at what we got coming up on saturday!

ViewPhoto205298395400268400205298395.jpeg

Who you got neogaf?

I think i'm picking Juanma mid-late KO. Rafa has the technical edge though, so I COULD see him certainly outboxing Juanma to a decision. However i think Lopez just bangs too hard for a former, faded BW champ to handle.

cthoaa

Bad timing for this fight: it won't get the attention it should.

I prefer Rafael to his brother, but he could really use JMM's commitment to the gameplan. I'm afraid he'll get drawn into a brawl, refuse to back down, and youth will prevail.

Esch

Banned
Word, that's pretty much my prediction too. It is terrible timing for this fight, even boxing specific boards aren't really talking about it because of pac-rockgloves. I still think it's a potential FotY candidate too. makes me sad.

cthoaa

Recent updates on Showtime's YouTube channel:

Fight Camp 360º Episode 8 - SHOWTIME Super Six Boxing

Episode shows some of the training and lead-up to Abraham-Froch, but there are also looks at the recent withdrawals, reactions from the fighters and promoters, and the new fights made for Allan Green and Andre Ward.

Weigh-In: Lopez vs. Marquez and Green vs. Johnson - SHOWTIME Boxing

Official weights: R.Marquez 125.5, J.M.Lopez 125.5. G.Johnson 167, A.Green 168.

Lucian Bute Signs Deal with SHOWTIME - Press Conference

ShowTime was in a scramble and Glen Johnson's been a warrior throughout his career, but you can bet they wish this took place earlier and Bute was the replacement for either Kessler or Dirrell. (Though at the current failure rate, Bute will probably make his tournament debut in the semi-finals. :p)

Ash_69

I've booked flights from the UK go to Vegas to see Khan vs Maidana and am hyped. Anybody got any experience of the mandalay bay events centre? I'm thinking about getting seats in section 220 but I'm not sure whether ill be able to see the ring.

I expect Khan to be too sharp for Maidana and stop him in the mid rounds however that power cannot be ignored. Khan could box Maidana's ears off for 11 rounds and still get ko'ed in the 12th if he gets tired or careless.

see5harp

man they are really trying to sell a narrative on 24/7. I think it'll be an entertaining fight, but I can't see margarito landing a lucky shot for the knockout. He won't win on the scorecards and I don't see Pacquiao quitting under any circumstances. On top of all that, he's probably the most willing target Pacquiao has ever faced. It won't be as one sided as the De La Hoya fight, but I see Margarito taking a lot of clean shots.

Esch

Banned
As of right now I'm sticking with Pacquiao TKO Margarito 9-12. Pacquiao won't be willing to engage up front with Marg as much because of the guy's workrate and size being used in an infight, and Margarito will be able to absorb a lot of punishment. I just think the ref will stop it after brickfists soaks up a little too much leather.

see5harp

EschatonDX said:
As of right now I'm sticking with Pacquiao TKO Margarito 9-12. Pacquiao won't be willing to engage up front with Marg as much because of the guy's workrate and size being used in an infight, and Margarito will be able to absorb a lot of punishment. I just think the ref will stop it after brickfists soaks up a little too much leather.

Yea, that's exactly how I see it. It'll be the same strategy Pac used for de la hoya with the stick and move and a ton of straight lefts. Margarito may not go down, but Pacquiao is going to hit him more than he's ever been hit and by the late rounds Margarito is going to look so slow.

Baby Milo

I usually would have sympathy but Fuck Roach. Dude talks way to much shit for me to even care about this.I remember when he was making fun of the way the Mayweathers spoke not so funny now huh Roach?

dream

Rios is a second-rate Vargas.

Thanks for the links, cthoaa. I was trying to show a friend of mine but all the clips I found got pulled.

oneHeero

Baby Milo said:
I usually would have sympathy but Fuck Roach. Dude talks way to much shit for me to even care about this.I remember when he was making fun of the way the Mayweathers spoke not so funny now huh Roach?
Does PBF have a illness of any? :lol

Top Bottom