• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JLG- said:
Lame fight. At least Arce won! fuck yea

CuVu4.jpg

Best fucking fight of the night. I thought the Stoppage could have been held but Vazquez should have tried to force a cling or just let himself fall to gather himself. Wanted him to win though!!

Shane did everything but turn all the way around when he was running. Shane, Shane, Shane. He fought like a man thinking about retirement, family and being nice. No killer left in him anymore.

Shame.

The M.O.B

aktham said:
Lame fight. Money>Pacman

Make it happen already

..................................I don't even want to see that crap, would have been awesome 2-3 years ago before Flloyd retired in his prime like a chump, Pac by KO anyday.

Anduron

I bet Floyd is glad Mosley took him the distance, he needs to stop delaying his damn court dates so a fight can be made.

HOpefully this silences the Manny homers who think he's on this much higher level than Floyd. Neither guys is interested in having a competitive fight, they just want to keep collecting millions of dollars and W's.

Baby Milo

Bungieware said:
You don't lose technique. +1 for the school of thought that Pacquiao would struggle to impose himself against Mayweather. For now anyway.
yeah manny's work rate was cut by oldsley and he was struggling to find him throughout the fight.

IrishNinja

Ninja Scooter said:
HOpefully this silences the Manny homers who think he's on this much higher level than Floyd. Neither guys is interested in having a competitive fight, they just want to keep collecting millions of dollars and W's.

^truth. where's that NY radio show link with merrywether getting shat on for not taking the fight & just talking about his legacy instead? SMH

Ninja Scooter said:
HOpefully this silences the Manny homers who think he's on this much higher level than Floyd.
this certainly didn't change my opinion. I'm pretty confident that Manny would beat Mayweather. I saw Manny barely get touched by a boxer so scared he was in full retreat (read: sprint) mode from the first bell ring. And Shane himself said he's never been hit harder by anyone.

Ninja Scooter said:
Neither guys is interested in having a competitive fight, they just want to keep collecting millions of dollars and W's.
Possibly. I think both have a lot to lose from a loss at the hands of the other. Maybe too much to make a fight worth it.

I'll never forget how much prestige the name "Roy Jones, Jr." lost when he got dropped by Bernard Hopkins. His name was God-tier. Neither his confidence nor his market value were the same again.

Esch

Banned
Always makes me laugh when people bitch about boxing after they pay and support a non-competitive, shit fight and don't watch any of the good shit. Shut up, you're not a boxing fan so keep your casual snide remarks and shit eating mma references out of this thread. Please.

I enjoyed Vazquez Arce though, so it wasnt a bad night.I really wanted my Soto-Antillon rematch.

LOL Kelly Pavlik.

Manny didn't use his feet very well in this one, or his hands. He's declining quick.

Baby Milo said:
^you mean tarver right?
Maybe so. I can barely remember anymore. I feel like it was about a decade ago, though? Maybe 2001? 2002?

I just remember watching Roy get caught by a left hook and being knocked out.

Dreams-Visions said:
this certainly didn't change my opinion. I'm pretty confident that Manny would beat Mayweather. I saw Manny barely get touched by a boxer so scared he was in full retreat (read: sprint) mode from the first bell ring. And Shane himself said he's never been hit harder by anyone.

Possibly. I think both have a lot to lose from a loss at the hands of the other. Maybe too much to make a fight worth it.

I'll never forget how much prestige the name "Roy Jones, Jr." lost when he got dropped by Bernard Hopkins. His name was God-tier. Neither his confidence nor his market value were the same again.

I was talking more about the idea that PBF was any more of a ducker than Manny. They are pretty much just recycling the same opponents back and forth the last few years with a few exceptions, but neither has taken a fight against someone that can realistically beat them. PBF is rumored to be working out a fight with Victor Ortiz (who, oddly enough I thought would make a great match with Manny) but at least he's young and on the top of his game, unlike Shane.

JLG-

Shane was running circles. Mayweather will do the same except he's much harder to hit and he'll actually throw back.

The M.O.B

Since Floyd loves gambling so much, he should be completely for this fight to get made, because that's what it is for Floyd, a huge gamble with a huge pot of money at the end of the road.

Biggest money making fight in the past 2 decades easily.

Jin34

Ninja Scooter said:

Its part of the problem with boxing, someone should be able to make them fight or get stripped off their belts.

Dreams-Visions said:
Maybe so. I can barely remember anymore. I feel like it was about a decade ago, though? Maybe 2001? 2002?

I just remember watching Roy get caught by a left hook and being knocked out.

Yep. That was Tarver.

Totally, Roy's fault. He was never the same after dropping weight after beating Ruiz. He would have had an easy time making big $ against the corpses of Tyson and Holyfield.

That was a badass Tarver performance with the trolling during the refs instructions and then backing it up......

Esch

Banned
Baby Milo said:
the time is now floyd!

Mayweather's declining himself. This fight should have happened after Cotto at the latest; it'll be pretty disappointing if it comes off. And I don't feel like it is, nor do i particularly care.

I'm real surprised about Pac putting him on the deck. I'm ashamed for Mosley running like that. I've never seen him on his bike like that ever.

The M.O.B said:
Since Floyd loves gambling so much, he should be completely for this fight to get made, because that's what it is for Floyd, a huge gamble with a huge pot of money at the end of the road.

Biggest money making fight in the past 2 decades easily.

The reason he has all that money to gamble with is because he can fight any old scrub and make $30 million. Both he and Manny are at that same level, where it doesn't matter who they fight, they will make millions and be a huge draw all by themselves. I honestly don't think either side wants to lose their golden goose, which is what will happen to whoever loses the Manny/PBF fight.

Baby Milo

Jin34 said:
Its part of the problem with boxing, someone should be able to make them fight or get stripped off their belts.
Floyd vacates his belts so doesn't have to pay the fees or mandatory fights

Esch

Banned
belts haven't mattered since the WBO became a legitimate belt. To be honest, the IBF tarnished the concept enough to make them not really matter.

Satyamdas

Banned
The shitting on Manny is fucking ridiculous. He can't MAKE his opponents throw punches or engage with him. And as good as he is, if the opponent is determined to turtle up and run away the entire fight then there isn't much he can do to make the fight exciting.

Now with that said, everyone with a brain knew this fight wasn't going to be good and was disappointed from the moment it was announced. Even so, Mosley really made himself look like shit by refusing to fight, much like Clottey did. I was also disappointed when Manny/Margarito was announced, but ironically that has been the only good fight out of Manny's last 3.

And as much as I love JMM, I really don't think that should be Manny's next fight. At the very least, we know that JMM won't bitch out and disgrace himself like Mosley/Clottey. But at the same time, I want to see Manny vs. Timothy Bradley, or Sergio Martinez (if he can come down in weight), or even Berto. JMM's heart is 2nd to none but he is just too old for Manny at this point unfortunately and I want to see Manny fight a hungry younger guy next (or a hungry older guy like Martinez). This is all assuming, of course, that Money/Manny won't get made. That remains the marquee matchup, and I still think Manny wins that in a long, tough battle.

Who should Manny fight next?

1) Floyd

9000) Tim Bradley
9001) Victor Ortiz

There's only one fight anyone wants to see. Bradley or Ortiz would at least be interesting as they are action fighters, young guys, and they would go out on their shields rather than run and survive all night.

JLG- said:
According to Arum, plan:

A. Marquez B. Bradley C. Juddah

I'd love to see a PPV with Marquez/Judah and Pac/Bradley on the same card in Sept and then the winners fighting in 2012. I just want to see how JMM handles the rise in weight. He looked like shit against Floyd.

But, it's boxing so I'm sure we'll get Pacquiao vs Kermet Centron live on PPV for 65$.

Top Bottom