• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

MMaRsu

Ehh I bought this but I really suck, I mean I can't even get the final 2 puzzle pieces in world 2 ( you know the first 2 difficult ones )

In the room where you have to assamble the puzzle, there are 2 puzzle pieces I can't get. And I've tried everything!!!!!!

Someone help :(

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
MMaRsu said:
Ehh I bought this but I really suck, I mean I can't even get the final 2 puzzle pieces in world 2 ( you know the first 2 difficult ones )

In the room where you have to assamble the puzzle, there are 2 puzzle pieces I can't get. And I've tried everything!!!!!!

Someone help :(

The ones near the painting?

MMaRsu

Opus Angelorum said:
Do you have all of the pieces except those in that room?

No the pieces after that, can't get em either. Like the room where you have to kill all those goomba like creatures, I have no idea how to get on top.

Like I said, I suck :(.

And Gowans I've tried to bridge the gap jumping on the goomba thing, but I can't seem to solve the mystery :(

ItsInMyVeins said:
The ones near the painting?

Yeah on the right side. 1 is in the air above the door and 1 is on the platform above the door.

eznark

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
That's exactly how I felt when I posted yesterday, initially the mechanic introduced in World 4 seems frustrating.

The advice given to me yesterday really helped, study the layout and rewind/fast-forward a few times to see how the scenario is played.

ah, fair enough. I wasn't planning on going back but if it's a common wall, I will definitely give it another shot this weekend. The aesthetics (and the fact that i don't have to read the terribly written story) are enough to make me want to play through it.

MMaRsu

Gowans007 said:
MMaRsu
go and get the other pieces, after you've sussed out the others you'll suss out that one.

Ok I'll try but the the room after that, with all the goombas you have to kill make no sense to me either!

poweld

So I haven't taken the plunge and purchased this yet, but from what I see people are saying it's fairly short. I appreciate artistic games and all, but this is a fairly high price point if it's very short. Would GAF recommend it as a worthwhile value?

poweld said:
So I haven't taken the plunge and purchased this yet, but from what I see people are saying it's fairly short. I appreciate artistic games and all, but this is a fairly high price point if it's very short. Would GAF recommend it as a worthwhile value?
For me... yes, very much so.

I'm not finished with it yet either. I plan on having a blast at the speedruns. :D

The more I play the game, the more I like it. The puzzle-pieces on World 2 were ridiculously easy ( in the end ), but it still took me a good while to solve them.

FightyF

Banned
It's a game Miyamoto should play...considering that there are a lot of things that pay homage to his games...but also because it's just an awesome game.

I had 2 puzzles that I couldn't figure out, both in level 6. I was ->this<- close to coming on here and finding the solutions...but I figured them out. I'm SO GLAD I didn't spoil it.

My personal suggestion to anyone stuck...don't ask for help. Keep going on, get as many as you can, and come back later to the ones you couldn't do. If it takes you weeks to finish the game, so be it. There's no rush, no need to rush yourself through it, as part of the experience is the satisfaction you get from finishing the puzzles.

Seriously, I'm glad that I didn't even ask for a CLUE.

Anyways, just my advice.

As far as price is concerned, I think Jonathan Blow had the right idea at pricing it at $10 (800 pts). I think it's dickish of MS to attempt to maximize profits by setting it at 1200 pts, knowing they can because it is a critically acclaimed game. I'm glad I bought it, but I do think it was a bit steep. I've had other arcade games I've bought for 800 pts that I still play years later. I'll come back to Braid for the speed runs, but not as often as these other titles.

I think MS should have looked at releasing Braid Gamerpics and Themes, for added revenue.

epmode

FightyF said:
As far as price is concerned, I think Jonathan Blow had the right idea at pricing it at $10 (800 pts). I think it's dickish of MS to attempt to maximize profits by setting it at 1200 pts, knowing they can because it is a critically acclaimed game.
I still haven't seen any proof that the $15 was ultimately chosen by anyone but the creator himself.

itsinmyveins

epmode said:
I still haven't seen any proof that the $15 was ultimately chosen by anyone by the creator himself.

I read him saying this in one of the comments on the Braid game blog:

But, if you do think it’s too expensive, I hear ya. Like I said, I would rather that the price were lower. Hopefully the price will be dropped in the future, but we know how price drops go — it will probably be a while, like a year from now or something.

It does suggest that he didn't set the price and didn't like it landing on 1200 pts.

Brakara

sweetfish

Gold Member
epmode said:
I still haven't seen any proof that the $15 was ultimately chosen by anyone by the creator himself.

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=245#comment-2065

Jonathan Blow said:
My feeling was that Microsoft would price the game at 1200 no matter what I said; however, I never pushed them to that point. Late last week, Microsoft and I had a conversation where we talked about a bunch of issues and I agreed on the 1200 point price.

There are good reasons why I picked 1200 instead of 800 (I thought about writing them up today, but I’m not sure it’s really appropriate; I might, though, tonight. We’ll see how I feel about it later.)

The Reader’s Digest version is, I would have been perfectly happy with a launch price of 800 points. At 1200 points I am less happy, but I am okay with it.

itsinmyveins

Brakara said:
If you read all the blog comments, he doesn't seem to mind the $15 price either.

Apart from him saying that he would prefer it to be lower, you mean? Of course he agreed on it in the end, but.. Ah, whatever. The game's worth it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ItsInMyVeins said:
Apart from him saying that he would prefer it to be lower, you mean? Of course he agreed on it in the end, but.. Ah, whatever. The game's worth it.
Publishers have always decided pricing, stop trying to persuade anyone otherwise.

itsinmyveins

cjelly said:
Publishers have always decided pricing, stop trying to persuade anyone otherwise.

Hmm? I'm not trying to persuade anybody -- I'm just repeating what he's said himself. Microsoft published the game, he agreed on the price in the end, even though he'd rather seen a lower one.

Pelloki

FightyF said:
That's the only one I couldn't figure out

But I was able to read all the rest.

To me it seems like
he was looking for a princess, but in the end his mom did more for him. It's clear the the braid belongs to his mom

The one where you drop down? I think I activated the red book and then rewound to the ledge where you enter - there's scenery to hide behind there too.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hmm? I'm not trying to persuade anybody -- I'm just repeating what he's said himself. Microsoft published the game, he agreed on the price in the end, even though he'd rather seen a lower one.
He also said he'd have rather priced it at $0. But this isn't candyland, and someone who's put a signifigant investment into making something needs to recoup that investment if they want to continue making additional somethings in the future.

Read his post concerning how he didn't want it to be another Space Giraffe. A popular misconception is that lower prices will multiply an audience by factors of doubles and triples. This has very, very rarely proven to be the case.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
love the game to death -- bought it late last night and played it instead of sleeping. :/

i've got all the puzzle pieces except one in 6-4 that's driving me nuts...maybe it'll make sense later

itsinmyveins

Shig said:
He also said he'd have rather priced it at $0. But this isn't candyland, and someone who's put a signifigant investment into making something needs to recoup that investment if they want to continue making additional somethings in the future.

Read his post concerning how he didn't want it to be another Space Giraffe. A popular misconception is that lower prices will multiply an audience by factors of doubles and triples. This has very, very rarely proven to be the case.

Yes, I know and I've read that. But 800 pts doesn't mean 0 either. He didn't say he tried to get it out for free even if he wished he could. But he does suggest that he would have liked to see it at 800 pts. There's a difference there.

The biggest annoyance with the 1200 pts (imho) is that you can't buy that amount and have to go for either 1000+500 pts or 2000.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Yes, I know and I've read that. But 800 pts doesn't mean 0 either. He didn't say he tried to get it out for free even if he wished he could. But he does suggest that he would have liked to see it at 800 pts. There's a difference there.

The biggest annoyance with the 1200 pts (imho) is that you can't buy that amount and have to go for either 1000+500 pts or 2000.

Zune.com lets you buy in perfect sized increments of 400.

itsinmyveins

BenjaminBirdie said:
Zune.com lets you buy in perfect sized increments of 400.

Well, see -- I didn't know that. So I guess it's still an issue for people who don't know about that :) I buy my points right then and there when I buy the game. Now, I was lucky since I had 260 pts left and only had to buy 1000.

I've gotten every puzzle piece up to world 5. From there I've gotten another 5 or 6 pieces. Haven't used any tips, clues or videos up until this point. But find myself getting frustrated so quickly later in the game. Just so much going on, so many things moving, slow mo , rewind etc... I'm about to snap.
This game is certainly not the relaxing world I thought it would be.

Braid is utterly amazing and everyone should buy it. The solutions to some of these puzzles are worth the price of admission and I've only finished World 2 & 3.

I'm blown away by this game.

Jonnyram

ItsInMyVeins said:
Hm, isn't that one just about timing the jump?
Still re: 4-6
as far as I can see, there is no timing involved. You move right, the stage advances, you move left, the stage rewinds. I haven't found a way to "interrupt" that, so I assume I need to find a simple solution, but I am totally, utterly stumped :(

itsinmyveins

Jonnyram said:
Still re: 4-6
as far as I can see, there is no timing involved. You move right, the stage advances, you move left, the stage rewinds. I haven't found a way to "interrupt" that, so I assume I need to find a simple solution, but I am totally, utterly stumped :(

I think I just climed the right side of the highest platform (the one with two locked doors with a puzzle piece inside) and jumped from there. I'm not sure, but that's how I think I did it.

Crisis

Banned
Well I just finished the game myself. I think it's definitely one of the best games on XBLA by a very large margin but there are a lot of things that it could have done better. The controls should definitely have been explained a lot better as well as the introduction of new concepts for each world. It's still a great game but I felt like that made it way harder than it needed to be.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
finished it. ending gets a big 'wat.' i wonder if all those snippets of story are worth making sense of -- i haven't got the faintest idea how they're meant to relate to one another

loved the game, though -- challenging, varied, complex, inventive puzzles that are somehow entirely decipherable. there are very, very few games that manage to pull that off

rhino4evr

Just want to say that the people that are stuck and are looking for help are super weak. The entire enjoyment of this game is figuring out the puzzles. Using a walktrhough or asking for help will completely ruin the experience.

I spent a half hour in level 4 yesterday, and couldn't figure out one of the puzzles pieces. You better believe I will be trying again tonight when I get home. Cheating in a game like this is such a shame.

be patient, and think.

Crisis

Banned
McBacon said:
That's half the fun

Getting the new stuff for each world was fun. Not knowing how to use it because it's never explained is frustrating. I didn't even know you could freeze time (X + RB) until I read it here. Something is wrong there.

itsinmyveins

Crisis said:
Getting the new stuff for each world was fun. Not knowing how to use it because it's never explained is frustrating. I didn't even know you could freeze time (X + RB) until I read it here. Something is wrong there.

I think most of the stuff explains itself pretty fast while in the new worlds. But the X+RB-thing should have been mentioned. I didn't even realize it freezes time. At first when I tried it I just thought it was some kind of fast forward, and when I finally used it to solve a puzzle it was the result of me making a mistake and realizing that it should be used there.

Majora

I don't think freezing time was ever necessary to complete a puzzle.

Personally I loved the lack of tutorials and handholding. The whole thing was very intuitive and concepts were gradually introduced, usually with something basic like the recurring pit level before building in complexity. So nice not to have pop up boxes of instructions and to he treated like an intelligent person.

itsinmyveins

Majora said:
I don't think freezing time was ever necessary to complete a puzzle.

Personally I loved the lack of tutorials and handholding. The whole thing was very intuitive and concepts were gradually introduced, usually with something basic like the recurring pit level before building in complexity. So nice not to have pop up boxes of instructions and to he treated like an intelligent person.

Might not have been necessary, but it sure did at least one of the puzzels a lot easier.

MMaRsu

thanks for the tips, I made it to world 3 :). ( where's world 1 btw?? )

Also any tips for the last level of the 3d world? I can't seem to get the puzzle piece before the door closes...

Jonnyram

ItsInMyVeins said:
I think I just climed the right side of the highest platform (the one with two locked doors with a puzzle piece inside) and jumped from there. I'm not sure, but that's how I think I did it.
Apparently so. I just needed convincing that that was the correct way, I guess. I finally got it after about 100 attempts. Thought this game was not supposed to be pixel perfect, but it ends up that way a couple of times.

Top Bottom