• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
shot_1_final.jpg

I feel like this (along with several other Braid screenshots) should be hanging in a museum somewhere. Not only because it's gorgeous, but it feels like there is some deeper meaning just beneath the surface.

Pelloki

UltimaPooh said:
Whre di you find the first star? That way I can get a grasp on how you can go about finding the others... Is it through spped runs?

No they're just through normal play. At least the ones that I've found are anyway. Essentially you have to 'break out' of the levels. You'll do it and think, "wow, I've broken this game."
Only you haven't, clearly, because it was designed to be done.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I swear to god I'm going to punch a whole through the wall thanks to 6-4 and that stupid fucking key. Christ on a stick.

duffey

Just finished and solved worlds 2 and 3. I've dabbled in 4 and 5 and this game is an absolute mindfuck and it's making me feel really dumb D:

But something about it keeps me going. It's probably the soundtrack and the fact that I haven't felt this challenged in a 2d platformer in years.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Ok, new question

"Crossing the Gap

It's a shadow doppleganger level

I have puzzle piece way up high on the right, and a cannon that spits purple goombas. It only spits ONE goomba until it dies, then it spits another. I can get the goomba below the puzzle piece, but its not enough bounce, I need another... Help!

Aeana

McBacon said:
Ok, new question

"Crossing the Gap

I have puzzle piece way up high on the right, and a cannon that spits purple goombas. It only spits ONE goomba until it dies, then it spits another. I can get the goomba below the puzzle piece, but its not enough bounce, I need another... Help!

The goomba guys can bounce off of your shadow's head. Use that to make the goomba go higher, and then jump off of it.

Sectus

McBacon said:
Ok, new question

"Crossing the Gap

This was the only puzzle I needed help with as it's based on a mechanic which I had just wasn't aware of.

This hint should be enough: when enemies kill you they bounce.

Now I just need to figure out that very last puzzle piece in world 6-6...

Finished world 3 with all puzzle pieces. Started world 4. Figured out first one. Second one is giving me hard time. Will work on that tomorrow.

I wouldn't object if somebody says this is Bioshock of XBLA. Totally worth it.

permutated said:
So guys, how is it? WORTH THE WAIT?

I can't wait to get home and play this!

FUCK YEAH!!!...if you take time to solve puzzles by yourself.

Sectus

Okay, I need one hint for world 6-5...

The puzzle piece which is near the falling ladder. Can I get to that platform only when the ladder falls, or after it's bounced once? I've been able to get up the ladder while it bounces once and I was barely *not* able to get to the platform. Is my timing not good enough or is my solution wrong?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Sectus said:

The puzzle piece which is near the falling ladder. Can I get to that platform only when the ladder falls, or after it's bounced once? I've been able to get up the ladder while it bounces once and I was barely *not* able to get to the platform. Is my timing not good enough or is my solution wrong?

Solution is wrong, kinda.
You do use that ladder though.

Cianalas

Sectus said:

You can get that smaller anti-time platform over there by having your ring on the larger ladder platform when you activate it. I lets the smaller one move under it towards the puzzle piece. Get your ring back and use time reverse while charged with a green aura from the platform in combination with your ring to get the ladder in mid-air and climb it as such to the puzzle piece.

Jackson

anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is a freaking masochist... this game is INSANE brutal...

it' a great game but hey can take a long walk off a short pier due to the ridiculous amount of "perfection-related gameplay"

he doesn't even budge and inch... its either you do it 50 times until you get it right or you quit... that's it...

I just wanna finish the story :( stop giving me insane levels

ArtG

Jackson said:
anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is a freaking masochist... this game is INSANE brutal...

it' a great game but hey can take a long walk off a short pier due to the ridiculous amount of "perfection-related gameplay"

he doesn't even budge and inch... its either you do it 50 times until you get it right or you quit... that's it...

I just wanna finish the story :( stop giving me insane levels

There's only one puzzle that I thought was inconsistent with the rest of the game:

On 6-4, I believe, there was one where you had to guide two of those Goomba guys across three pipes of killer flowers. I did not notice any pattern at all with that puzzle, and only beat it through luck.

Brakara

Andronicus said:
im having more fun with pixeljunk eden, maybe because its so much more different than anything else out there at the moment.

So you are implying that Braid is not different than anything else out there? So feel free to list games that are like Braid. Because I, for one, have never played anything like it.

MirageDwarf said:
13,291 on leaderboards.

Great day 1 numbers. I think GW2 is the only game with higher first day numbers this year.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ArtG said:
There's only one puzzle that I thought was inconsistent with the rest of the game:

On 6-4, I believe, there was one where you had to guide two of those Goomba guys across three pipes of killer flowers. I did not notice any pattern at all with that puzzle, and only beat it through luck.

You're supposed to get all the flowers in sync.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
ArtG said:

I found

That if you use the ring while one of the Plants if off screen, its not affected, so I made a perfect pathway and had unlimited goombas to jump off.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
sp0rsk said:
You're supposed to get all the flowers in sync.

Kinda. I thought that at first too, but after a while of failing to do so I accidentaly pressed X+RB while the flowers were down (so yeah, that's the part of having them kind of in sync, I guess -- but I'm not sure you even have to do that?) and that just freezes them down there, and those goombas are still able to walk.

itsinmyveins

sp0rsk said:
It's never the user's fault.

He obviously made the story optional for a reason. Why, I have no idea because the ending makes no sense without it.

Well, you didn't care for the story earlier, why should you care about in the ending? :O

Yeah, you definitely should have read the books. I kinda liked it as it was, anyways.

Raggy

Banned
bought yesterday. Beatiful beautfil game, and sooooo frustrating.
You really got to think, and some puzzles i'm quite stumped on.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Kinda. I thought that at first too, but after a while of failing to do so I accidentaly pressed X+RB while the flowers were down (so yeah, that's the part of having them kind of in sync, I guess -- but I'm not sure you even have to do that?) and that just freezes them down there, and those goombas are still able to walk.

I was using the ring too and totally forgot about the time stopping aspect. Stupid me. One of the solutions I looked up while I didn't have to.:(

Jonnyram

I can't for the life of me figure out (4-6?)
how to get on to the large cloud to get to the piece at the far right
. I've managed the rest of World 4 though :(

itsinmyveins

Jonnyram said:
I can't for the life of me figure out (4-6?)
how to get on to the large cloud to get to the piece at the far right
. I've managed the rest of World 4 though :(

Hm, isn't that one just about timing the jump?

Sectus

Well, after completing the game I feel a bit disappointed.
So if I get the story right... Tim is this weirdo who's never gotten along with people and he's got a big interested in science. He dates this girl from Manhatten but the relationship doesn't go well, and incidentally through his science he figures out how to manipulate time. He does random experimentations and goes mad and pretends that completing different types of experimentations will lead him to the Princess (who is an ideal fantasy of the girl he's dating). And those bizarre experimentations happens to act out like a Mario Bros game in his head, apparently Tim is a big Nintendo fan.

Did I get all the right? If so, complete nonsense. There were a few scenes which were clever like the one where he tries to save the princess from the evil monster, but then you learn it's actually the other way around. But the actual story you get through those books was completely uninteresting and mostly nonsensical to me. Perhaps the player is supposed to try to find his own deep meaning through the story, but that's definitely not the type of story I want in a game. I get the impression this game tried very hard to be a philosophical version of Fight Club, but it would have worked a lot better if they focused more on an entertaining story instead of something "deep".

I guess I can pretend the story tries to show how completely mad certain Nintendo fanboys are, then I agree how little sense it makes.

From a gameplay perspective the game is quite good. It's refreshing to play a game which tries to have challenging puzzles. Although I think it stumbled a lot around and unnecessarily added frustrating puzzles which requires pixel perfection or precise timing with jumps (especially in the last 2 worlds). The game is also way too short. Still good even though Eurogamer are completely insane for giving it 10/10.

itsinmyveins

Sectus said:
From a gameplay perspective the game is quite good. It's refreshing to play a game which tries to have challenging puzzles. Although I think it stumbled a lot around and unnecessarily added frustrating puzzles which requires pixel perfection or precise timing with jumps (especially in the last 2 worlds). The game is also way too short. Still good even though Eurogamer are completely insane for giving it 10/10.

I don't know about the story, because it kinda went out the window after a while for me. But I know I liked it in the beginning when it started of as a classic "save the princess"-story. Simple, but worked perfectly with the graphics and the music, just like Ico worked perfectly with its simple story. Then it started to get weird and I really didn't spend time trying to analyze it. But I did like the twist near the ending. After that you get to read a few books more, but they didn't make sense to me either. I'd be nice to hear what other people made of it.

As far as the gameplay goes I really liked it. I didn't feel frustrated about "precise timing" since you easily could rewind it instantely and have another go. Some of the puzzles were frustrating, but I think all of them was rewarding and entertaining as well.

The game was short, yes. And there's probably little to no room for replayability, unless you go for the speedruns. But just like Portal it's a short but amazing trip, and definitely one of the most interesting and fun games this year as far as I'm concerned.

Rlan

Pelloki said:
Each of the red books has two screens of text, one normal and one which can only be viewed when Tim's not in view (the voice will sound) AND facing away from the book. And yes, it may not seem like it but there really is alternate text for every red book.

I could figure out the first one, and I found the second ones alt, but I couldn't view it since it was out of view. How do I figure that one out? :|

poweld

I was going to pass on this one, until I heard the music...
I may as well just accept that XBLA is going to suck me dry this month.
Next up: Castle Crashers!

Sectus

ItsInMyVeins said:
I don't know about the story, because it kinda went out the window after a while for me. But I know I liked it in the beginning when it started of as a classic "save the princess"-story. Simple, but worked perfectly with the graphics and the music, just like Ico worked perfectly with its simple story. Then it started to get weird and I really didn't spend time trying to analyze it. But I did like the twist near the ending. After that you get to read a few books more, but they didn't make sense to me either. I'd be nice to hear what other people made of it.
I got reminded of ICO several times too actually while playing Braid. I really think ICO did an overall better job with the presentation and story though. Braid's story starts out simple and turns into a complete mess by the end (in my opinion anyway). ICO's story starts simple and ends simple. The ending in ICO is a bit vague and doesn't explain everything, but I think it never became nonsensical. (Shadow of the Colossus' ending on the other hand...)

And ICO tries to create a calm soothing atmosphere and does an excellent job of maintaining that. I really like Braid's atmosphere in the beginning but... then I started getting annoyed by those repetitive loud sound effects, and most of the music isn't actually that good (and when the music is finally good you rarely hear it properly because it's affected by the time manipulations).

The story read like some university students first year project. Couldn't care less about it.

Anything non-text in the game was done amazingly well though.

eznark

Banned
I ended up buying the game because of the art, which is freaking awesome. Played it for an hour or so yesterday, got to the 4th world. I won't be playing it anymore. Not a fan.

eznark said:
I ended up buying the game because of the art, which is freaking awesome. Played it for an hour or so yesterday, got to the 4th world. I won't be playing it anymore. Not a fan.
If you consider going back, push through the 4th world... it seems to be one of the ones people have trouble getting. You don't even need to collect the pieces, just walk through the levels.

I hated it at first but then loved it when it all clicked.

I'm currently 666 on the leaderboard. Seeing as nobody can get more than my 60 puzzle pieces does that mean I will keep that awesome number forever?

eznark said:
...got to the 4th world. I won't be playing it anymore. Not a fan.

That's exactly how I felt when I posted yesterday, initially the mechanic introduced in World 4 seems frustrating.

The advice given to me yesterday really helped, study the layout and rewind/fast-forward a few times to see how the scenario is played.

sweetfish

Gold Member
Anyone care to give me some hint on this one? Need the key, but can't seem to make the jump, even with the help of head-jumping the poor guy to my left.

braidhalp.jpg

sweetfish said:
Anyone care to give me some hint on this one? Need the key, but can't seem to make the jump, even with the help of head-jumping the poor guy to my left.

http://md5.se/p/braidhalp.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]You need two enemies.[/spoiler]

itsinmyveins

Sweetfish:

I think you can make the jump if you jump from the platform the goombas are coming from, and bounche of one of them while they're going down. I think that's how I did it. GreatDaves solution should work too.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
TheGreatDave said:
The story read like some university students first year project. Couldn't care less about it.

Anything non-text in the game was done amazingly well though.

Agree completely. The story sections before each little area just made me cringe.

Gowans

I'm amazed a how memorable each section of each stage is. The time working it out and stretching your brain has not been wasted.

This is defiantly a burn twice and bright but half as long game. I will be waiting a week for an other preview but I can't wait for everyone to get done so we can have some conversations about the game as a whole.

Re-read the thread and the Eurogamer review makes much more sense now too :)

FightyF

Banned
Rlan said:
I could figure out the first one, and I found the second ones alt, but I couldn't view it since it was out of view. How do I figure that one out? :|

That's the only one I couldn't figure out

But I was able to read all the rest.

To me it seems like
he was looking for a princess, but in the end his mom did more for him. It's clear the the braid belongs to his mom

Top Bottom