• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Iksenpets

Banned
Brakara said:
ioi isn't doing the XBLA numbers. They're extrapolated by Benjamin Schlichter from data from more than 2 million gamercards on mygamercard.net, and in general seem to be in the right ball-park. What Blow indicates (where did you get that quote from btw?), is that Schlichter's XBLA numbers indeed are in the right ball-park.

The Penny Arcade guys seemed to affirm the quality of the ******** numbers for XBLA back when PAA launched, too. Sounds like they're as close a ballpark as we'll ever get, given that there's this NDA on sales numbers for XBLA that Microsoft has put in place.

Brakara

sangreal said:
ah, I figured ioi was just taking the bottom of the leaderboards and subtracting a few thousand.

No, that would be awful since he tracks all games, and many games have incomplete leaderboards (like BC:R). The latest numbers are here:

http://news.********.com/news.php?id=1690

The best thing about it though, is that you can compare numbers between games and (from that) also make good predictions how they will continue selling, etc.

Ledsen

contaygious said:
Can someone please help me with Fickle Companion. This level sucks! I know exactly what to do, but after I set up the key for the bad guy to take it and them jump on him to get to the door, the key ALWAYS teleports down to the bottom level, how do you take the key AND kill the bad guy and stop it from teleporting?

Simple. DON'T KILL HIM. Just run up the ladder and wait for him. When he gets close to you you will automatically take the key from him, then you can kill him if you want to and climb the ladder.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Brakara said:
No, that would be awful since he tracks all games, and many games have incomplete leaderboards (like BC:R). The latest numbers are here:

The best thing about it though, is that you can compare numbers between games and (from that) also make good predictions how they will continue selling, etc.
Wow. Didnt realize how nice of a little cash cow XBLA can be.

Danielsan

Bought the game yesterday. Just finished it.

My mind is blown. Amazing game and I feel sorry for every doubting its worth.

I haven't had my brain work this hard in ages. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I caved on 1 puzzle (after trying for nearly an hour). When I saw the solution on youtube I literally slapped my head. It was so obvious and yet I never noticed. The ending (the braid level) was absolutely amazing.

I'm not going to do the stars though, I'm not that hardcore. :lol

Few quotes I'll butt in and answer:

Finally some optimism from Mr. Blow

Originally Posted by Jonathan Blow:
Unfortunately I cannot give direct sales numbers since that would be a violation of my contract with Microsoft. However, I can say that Braid is doing pretty well now, money-wise. The sales have kept going. If ******** does another Day One listing this week, for Galaga Legions on Thursday, there ought to be a pretty good estimate in there.

I hope he has real sales numbers now and isn't relying too much on ioi

Few notes:

1) I've turned the Day One numbers I post on Thursday into a weekly thing, so I will continue to do those with LTD/Weekly numbers for Braid, so JB knows where it stands at week 2.

2) ioi has virtually nothing to do with what I do for XBLA sales numbers. All he does is own VGC, and I happen to have administrator access due to working with their prediction league, that allows me to post the XBLA numbers as a news article.

ah, I figured ioi was just taking the bottom of the leaderboards and subtracting a few thousand. Anyways, the quote is from the comments on his blog: http://braid-game.com/news/?p=331#comments

Again..ioi has nothing to do with this. I personally don't have an internet connection to my Xbox 360 (hence if you ever look at my gamercard, it rarely updates my gamerscore, and I am never on). Also, if I used leaderboards, I wouldn't have the robust amount of info I have. Leaderboards work in some, but certainly not all cases...Go look at RezHD's leaderboards - It's virtually impossible to use them to ascertain any viable info, since the leaderboards are compiled by difficulty (from my knowledge), which segments the purchasing userbase.

The Penny Arcade guys seemed to affirm the quality of the ******** numbers for XBLA back when PAA launched, too. Sounds like they're as close a ballpark as we'll ever get, given that there's this NDA on sales numbers for XBLA that Microsoft has put in place.

Sadly enough, until MS decides to give out sales info, I am all you have. Right now, any of the more recent games tend to be +/- 10% for accuracy vs. Microsoft's actuals....Which are a far cry from what ioi is doing.

That's correct...If you sort through the news articles (there was a feature, and should still be there to do it), I have been doing the XBLA Sales Charts since November, 2007....And they are all available on VGC. And if anyone wants a semi-hard copy of every week's sales since I started...I can, and will gladly send you a hardcopy with weekly sales numbers for the 150 games since November 10th, 2007 (44 weeks, 154 lines of sales data).

And the Z was to differentiate that website from ********.com, which isn't updated very often, and has actual NPD data.

2DMention

Banned
Played the demo all the way through. I like the game, and enjoyed Major Nelson's interview with the developer on his podcast, but I just can't see myself dropping $15 on this game. If it were $8-10, maybe.

Xirj

Having finished the game a couple days ago, the more I think about it the more I agree with people that this is an "important" game. I never expected such fantastic allegorical story.

Gonna recommend it to everyone.

After a day of drinking I've found myself relaxing to the music of level 3.
Serenity now.

I hope PS3 owners get this game if only for the amazing soundtrack.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

diss

Banned
I like this game so much that when people don't like it, or speak ill of it, refer to it as overrated, I just narrow my eyes and fume with anger and hatred. Sure I guess it's OK that this game might not be your cup of tea, or you are under some delusion that it's a straight up Mario clone, or you didn't find it compelling enough to finish, or just otherwise completely missed the point, but why you gotta hate you STUPID DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT!? GUNS!? IT'S GUNS ISN'T IT?? YOU JUST WANT THE MOTHERFUCKER TO HAVE A GUN. COME HERE SO I CAN KICK YOU IN YOUR STUPID MOTHERFUCKING FACE

diss said:
I like this game so much that when people don't like it, or speak ill of it, refer to it as overrated, I just narrow my eyes and fume with anger and hatred. Sure I guess it's OK that this game might not be your cup of tea, or you are under some delusion that it's a straight up Mario clone, or you didn't find it compelling enough to finish, or just otherwise completely missed the point, but why you gotta hate you STUPID DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT!? GUNS!? IT'S GUNS ISN'T IT?? YOU JUST WANT THE MOTHERFUCKER TO HAVE A GUN. COME HERE SO I CAN KICK YOU IN YOUR STUPID MOTHERFUCKING FACE

Easy now. Level 3 music my friend. Relaaaxxxxxx.

Bought the game around launch and finally got around to beating it tonight.

World 1 is the best level ever, especially the end

The only problem is the $15 price point. Not because it isn't worth it but because of the people who complain about it. Seriously, don't most of you spend $15 of something a day?

ShinAmano

Are there any hints/strategies/guides to the full game speed run? I completed my first run at 65 Minutes...I need to shave 20, and I only thought I screwed up on two stages. :lol

GhaleonEB

I did a curiosity leaderboard check.

Over 110k on the leaderboards right now. Assuming 10% of those are second accounts, and Blow gets 70% of the gross sales (which he hinted at), his take is over one million dollars now.

It's still selling about 2,700 copies per day, over the past week.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I LOVE THIS GAME! So beautiful and nice to listen to. Sure it's a Mario close, but I think it has the same charm and appeal which made Mario what it is during its early days.

Oh yea, the puzzles destroy Mario though.

AniHawk said:
Got all the
stars
and I have no clue what changed.
Thank you. Been hearing stuff about finishing with all the stars and watching it on You Tube. What has really changed besides the bright stars in the sky? I don't get it.

ShinAmano

LiquidMetal14 said:
I LOVE THIS GAME! So beautiful and nice to listen to. Sure it's a Mario close, but I think it has the same charm and appeal which made Mario what it is during its early days.

Oh yea, the puzzles destroy Mario though.
Good to hear you like it, but this is nothing like mario...at all. :lol

Jme

AniHawk said:
Got all the
stars
and I have no clue what changed.

Replay the
final level for a new ending
(which you've probably done to get it.) And that's it really. Enjoy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to go against popular opinion and say I don't really like it.

I mean, I think it's an excellent game, there's no question, I just don't really enjoy it. I find the puzzles to be of a particular frustrating head against the wall difficulty that I don't enjoy. Like how some people are crap at suduko or crosswords or something, I'm crap at this.

HUNT part 2 for example where left is reverse and right is forward (or the other way round) just NO IDEA how to do this. I don't click with the game and when I'm stumped, I'M REALLY stumped.

rhino4evr

catfish said:

I mean, I think it's an excellent game, there's no question, I just don't really enjoy it. I find the puzzles to be of a particular frustrating head against the wall difficulty that I don't enjoy. Like how some people are crap at suduko or crosswords or something, I'm crap at this.

HUNT part 2 for example where left is reverse and right is forward (or the other way round) just NO IDEA how to do this. I don't click with the game and when I'm stumped, I'M REALLY stumped.

not that hard. just takes some trial and error. There is a certain order you need to work..if you think about it..it's not all that complicated.

ShinAmano

catfish said:

To each their own...here is a hint for that level...start at the top.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Not A Fur said:
The game is totally not immune to criticism, but calling the two-door-one-key puzzle a "dick move" without actually checking around first to make sure you didn't fundamentally misunderstand the mechanic at play is kinda funny. Owell. :3

that was like my favorite puzzle! man, i love braid.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Not A Fur said:
The game is totally not immune to criticism, but calling the two-door-one-key puzzle a "dick move" without actually checking around first to make sure you didn't fundamentally misunderstand the mechanic at play is kinda funny. Owell. :3

Yeah. I thought the point wasn't that there was one correct door for the key it was something like
you couldn't jump into the door with the key. You had to let the conveyor belt carry you

I love Braid like Tim loves the Princess.

StranGER

i might be late but i did not notice how faithful this seems to the roots of the original mario game on the NES.

The princess is in another castle, please move on little plumber guy.

nothing bad about that! it's like a redo of it on steroids.
prob why it is going over so well here on gaf!!!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished Braid today and I was really impressed. The final level was plain genius, best part of the game. Getting some of the more challenging puzzle pieces after minutes of pondering was very satisfying, only caved to look at a faq a couple of times. The one puzzle that I would never have solved on my own was the 'Close the Gap' piece in world 5. Using your shadow as a means to get an enemy to appear higher on screen was the one thing I didn't think of. The 'how to get on a falling ladder' in world 5 was a noodlescrather too.

The best puzzle was the one in world 6 where you had to put your time ring on a platform on its way down, making the 3 cannons shoot their balls more slowly. Or the one in world 5 where you had to make a shadow jump with a key to the very edge of a spike bed, only to pick it up as your material form. So awesome.

I listened to this week's 1UP yours before playing the game and in retrospect I really don't get why Garnett was hating on it. The puzzles can be hard to figure out sometimes, but the cool thing about Braid is that your toolset is so limited. You only need to think about movement, the theme of the level and time in general. No pick-ups, no other abilities... Everything you need to solve a room is in the room itself (with the exception of the painted platform in world 2). His other complaint was that the controls weren't shoved down your throat by means of a tutorial. That's not really needed since there are so few actions. It's shown on the screen sometimes that you can use the bumpers to mess with time too. The game lets you figure out most of the stuff on your own, but isn't that a good thing? We're so used to getting everything shoved down our throats through tutorials that a game gets hate when it doesn't spell everything out.

Another complaint is that it's 'pretentious'. I didn't once get that impression while playing the game. The story is a bit complicated and the books in the epilogue are hard to figure out, but in the end it's all optional. The story that's given to you through gameplay is basic, with a brilliant twist at the end. I don't see what so pretentious about that.

Great game. I finished it without any faqs or videos. What a satisfying experience. I'm glad I took Blow's advice, as the puzzles are very reasonable. Haven't been this charmed by a game in a bit.

FirewalkR

I managed to complete the game in 2 evenings (and resisted the temptation of checking out youtube for one specific puzzle :D) and now the full game speed run is almost at my mercy! I did the other speed runs okay, and I'm close (gotta be about 1 min faster dammit), but I keep doing small mistakes here and there. The top of the leaderboards are way under 45 mins though, which means my solutions are far from optimal. I'll probably beat it in the next run but if not, I shall optimize. :D

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I've been fiddling with Braid off and on for a couple of weeks now and I think I like the idea of Braid more than the reality of playing Braid. I don't really get much satisfaction from solving the puzzles, for whatever reason.

conman

DjangoReinhardt said:
I've been fiddling with Braid off and on for a couple of weeks now and I think I like the idea of Braid more than the reality of playing Braid. I don't really get much satisfaction from solving the puzzles, for whatever reason.
Yes. Finished it in two sittings on the day I got it. I enjoyed it enough, but when I finished it, I was like: "that's it?" Fantastic ideas, but a game should be about more than "ideas."

It's definitely a move in the right direction for future games trying to be ambitious in their aesthetic goals. But in terms of its artisitic merits, all Braid does for me is show that Super Mario Bros. is truly art; Braid is like an SMB memoir. Braid's a deep emotional and psychological and gameplay response to SMB, which makes SMB more worthy of the "art" designation than is Braid.

Said otherwise, the remarkable idea that Braid puts forth is this: games (like SMB) have always been art and have always had a deep role in many people's understanding of human experience and emotion. I just wish the gameplay in Braid itself could live up to its lofty ideas.

FirewalkR

Speed Run complete in little more than 42 mins. :D Still sucks, especially compared to the top of the leaderboards, but I improved my best in about 5 mins just by not making any serious mistakes and it felt awesome. :D

The best times are around 29/30 minutes. I have no idea if there's some sort of "global" trick or if it's just due to maximum optimization of each puzzle's solution. :S

Mdk7

I bought the game a few weeks ago, man how fucking awesome it is...
Save for the shitty character design (god Tim is fugly and the enemies are just atrocious!), it's astonishing from every point of view.
Most amazing gameplay ideas since Portal IMHO...

conman

RadarScope1 said:
What, pray tell, does SMB have to tell us about the human experience?
Play Braid and find out.

That's my point. One of the primary things that Braid is "about," is the connection between SMB and our emotional lives. Braid repeats the visual, story, gameplay, and thematic tropes of SMB and turns them into a meditation on the nature of memory, nostalgia, loss, and desire.

conman said:
Play Braid and find out.

That's my point. One of the primary things that Braid is "about," is the connection between SMB and our emotional lives. Braid repeats the visual, story, gameplay, and thematic tropes of SMB and turns them into a meditation on the nature of memory, nostalgia, loss, and desire.

Funny, I played Braid and experienced NONE of those feelings. Next time I'll try playing it with a big ass Bong and see if it changes my world.

ShinAmano

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
Funny, I played Braid and experienced NONE of those feelings. Next time I'll try playing it with a big ass Bong and see if it changes my world.
Lol...stoned I don't think Braid would be fun...some of the puzzles would leave you hating life. :lol

Top Bottom