• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Oni Jazar said:
Seriously? Very impressive. I don't know how you guys did it! How long did it take? What was the hardest star to find?

I think it was 6.5 was the hardest ( I'm at home so I can't check the stages, since it was on my boss GT that we beat it on.) we actually stumbled across the first start :lol

seat

Just beat Braid. Fantastic game. I was initially turned off by the art style when playing the demo, but I'm glad I purchased the game anyway. Completely worth it.

2DMention

Banned
Played the demo, and am stuck. I like the art style, and the easy-going music, but I don't think I could pony up the $15 for it. For $8, maybe.

User2k

2DMention said:
Played the demo, and am stuck. I like the art style, and the easy-going music, but I don't think I could pony up the $15 for it. For $8, maybe.

Then you are losing out greatly my friend. :(

THe ending made the experience complete, imo. I was kinda frustrated with the last level where you
have to fucking perfectly time the jump from the cannon to beat the little goombas going under that platform (took about 50 rewinds)
, but after the ending all that trouble went away and my mind was blown.

Alright, so I've been quietly following this game, and after the giving the demo a whirl and reading all the good impressions, I'm absolutely convinced it's definitely worth a purchase. However, since the is game is 1200 space bucks, is there any way I can just buy that many points, or do I have to pony up for 2000, 800 of which I don't need? I know with PSN you can buy any content at the exact price point, which is very nice. What about Live?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
MyEpitomeCliché said:
Alright, so I've been quietly following this game, and after the giving the demo a whirl and reading all the good impressions, I'm absolutely convinced it's definitely worth a purchase. However, since the is game is 1200 space bucks, is there any way I can just buy that many points, or do I have to pony up for 2000, 800 of which I don't need? I know with PSN you can buy any content at the exact price point, which is very nice. What about Live?
No, you have to buy them in increments.

Just solved world 4. I'm getting every piece before moving on to the next world. I love how the designs lead to you sometimes bark up the wrong tree for a while, then you have to just look at it in a totally different way and - bam - the answer presents itself. Great sense of discovery there ...

MyEpitomeCliché said:

If you are in the US or canada go to www.zune.net

sign in with your xbox live credentials.

Go to 'my account'

Go to 'buy points'

You can buy them in 400 ($5), 1200 ($15), 2000 ($25), and 4000 ($50) increments.

Also if there's a target near where you live they have 1600 point cards on sale for $15. Today (Saturday 16th) is the last day of that deal, though.

LCfiner

wayward archer said:

Go to 'my account'

Go to 'buy points'

You can buy them in 400 ($5), 1200 ($15), 2000 ($25), and 4000 ($50) increments.

Also if there's a target near where you live they have 1600 point cards on sale for $15. Today (Saturday 16th) is the last day of that deal, though.

FYI, I'm in Canada (QC) and there's no Buy Points option form the 'my account' page.

Have any other Canadians been able to buy MS points from this site?

Torquill

Just finished it, though roughly enjoyed the game, but with all the "my mind was blown" comments about the ending I must be missing something.

I've never been so confused by a game's story segments before in my entire life. I think the entire thing went over my head, and that's rare o_O.

Is the princess a person? Is the princess (I might be reaching here..) the atomic bomb? I remember seeing that now we are all sons of bitches quote before...

wayward archer said:

Go to 'my account'

Go to 'buy points'

Is there a way to buy 800 points? I have 400 left over..

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
DancingJesus said:
Stop making sense.

I guess you're too used to having to buy more than 400 each time :)

Just edited my post though. It's free of charge just buying the points there? You can just sign in and buy?

pringles

Just beat it with all the puzzle pieces. Such an amazing game, only problems I have with it is that it was a bit too short and that the story could have been a little bit easier to follow (as it stands now it seems like the hardest puzzle in the game).
But I also love the way it's told, together with the music and the graphics it has this great dream-like quality that just makes me super relaxed while playing it, even when I have been stuck on a puzzle for an hour and should be extremely frustrated.

I did use a youtube guide in order to get one puzzle piece (the long gap one on world 3), but other than that I managed to figure them all out myself.
No game has ever made me feel quite so smart and stupid at the same time as Braid has.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Woot, just got the speedrun achievement. Sheesh, it was hard. I've been practicing the puzzles for the past day or so, and started attempting runs earlier. Failed it the first time by twelve seconds (ugh), but then got it after that with 15 seconds to spare.

Very satisfying achievement.

Also, soundtrack had been posted earlier, but will repost for great justice:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=287680699

Available on iTunes as an unofficial iMix. Not sure if that's all the songs, though. I made up this cover if anyone wants to use it:

2njlyqe.jpg

sangreal

ItsInMyVeins said:
Assuming there's no extra charge or tax when you buy, can't you just buy 400 twice? :)

For the record, they do charge tax. I can't remember if they charge tax from the dashboard too, but 1200 points on zune marketplace cost me $16.05 (7% NJ sales tax)

Can someone please help me with Fickle Companion. This level sucks! I know exactly what to do, but after I set up the key for the bad guy to take it and them jump on him to get to the door, the key ALWAYS teleports down to the bottom level, how do you take the key AND kill the bad guy and stop it from teleporting?

Tobor

I knew this game was going to be fantastic, and it is, but man is this game difficult. My brain feels like it's gone through a blender after playing for a while. I'm pacing myself just so I don't have an embellism.

RetroMG

contaygious said:
Can someone please help me with Fickle Companion. This level sucks! I know exactly what to do, but after I set up the key for the bad guy to take it and them jump on him to get to the door, the key ALWAYS teleports down to the bottom level, how do you take the key AND kill the bad guy and stop it from teleporting?

Set him up to take it and get him on to the level under the door. When he is to the left of the furthest lader, but before he falls off the edge, kill him and bounce up to the next level. Then reverse time to go down and get the key. The Key will then stay with you to go up to the door.

If you look on Youtube, there are very good video walkthroughs. Tis is a game where showing is better than telling.

Chris R

Still haven't done the speed run yet... Got to fickle companion yesterday and just couldn't get it done fast. I'll have to go and work it out some more... but other than that I think I was going to be golden time wise.

contaygious said:

Kill the goomba and before a new one launches out of the cannon open the door, on the other side you can run UNDER the door so that the map's rewind power makes the key unused again, the goomba will get it and go through the narrow space to where you are...

Is there a way to
repeat the process of getting the last star
without restarting the game?

goddamn. ;_; I'll restart if I have to, but I'd like to be able to get a closer look at some stuff without having to worry about only having one shot at it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not A Fur said:
Is there a way to

goddamn. ;_; I'll restart if I have to, but I'd like to be able to get a closer look at some stuff without having to worry about only having one shot at it.

Well, you can technically redo almost anything since you can see the outlines of the various pieces you can collect.

Ptaaty

My take on the ending....

I think the story is about human nature, and really life in general, both the positive introspection...the taking time to enjoy of Level 2, but the oh too common pursuit that drives us to miss out on the very happiness we try to achieve. A thread of this is apparent in the human drive to continue to pursue science and technology at all costs (the atomic bomb reference). Each chapter builds and weaves these threads of life/human nature (where the name Braid comes from?). We are usually only happy and at peace when we step back and relax....our drive to suceed and understand creates brokeness...we can never get that what we try to force.

Ptaaty said:
My take on the ending....

I think the story is about human nature, and really life in general, both the positive introspection...the taking time to enjoy of Level 2, but the oh too common pursuit that drives us to miss out on the very happiness we try to achieve. A thread of this is apparent in the human drive to continue to pursue science and technology at all costs (the atomic bomb reference). Each chapter builds and weaves these threads of life/human nature (where the name Braid comes from?). We are usually only happy and at peace when we step back and relax....our drive to suceed and understand creates brokeness...we can never get that what we try to force.

That's pretty much along the lines of how I took it... the term 'braid' probably means many things in this game, but one mechanic I noticed a lot while playing is that I would fuck up a jump, rewind a little bit, and start forward again, only to fuck up in the same way because I was still airborne and flying at a creature / off a ledge. The time control mechanic really forces you to actually positively identify the precise moment when you made a mistake and rewind to that, just as when you're braiding something and you mess up early on you have to undo all your work back to that point.

Thematically, the consciousness of the exact moment of mistake comes up a lot (
The atomic bomb reference at the end, the mention of Tim rewinding to hide mistakes from her
), and that was the main lesson I took away from the game. In my life I usually try to roll with shit when it happens and learn what I can from it, but I sometimes don't do the precise introspection when something seriously goes wrong, because it can get painful. That's a weakness on my part, one that even if someone explained to me I'm not sure I could have taken them seriously, and this game has made me reconsider that.

Anyway, has anybody seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo)? It's not really like Braid at all but it has similar themes of someone who, given the ability to control time, is similarly forced to consider the direct consequences of their actions. It's excellent in its own right.

Not A Fur said:
Is there a way to

Only way I can think of is the old Dead Rising Trick... get a memory card and copy the save over.

Kordos

Played this last night, on the recommendation of a friend.

Better than Portal!

I'm really enjoying this era of unanticipated, small-budget gems.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The more I reflect on Braid the more I like it. I think the name "Braid" might refer to the way the story intertwines
the narrative threads of different kinds of obsession: Tim as the stalker, the team working to create the atom bomb, the poor bastards who spent the time figuring out how to get every star without an FAQ.

matmanx1

Tried the demo and ended up buying this yesterday. It's challenging my brain but it also pleases me in a way not many games have ever done. And I echo the sentiments about the small, unanticipated games showing up and delighting everyone. XBLA and PSN are becoming two of my favorite things!

GhaleonEB

FWIW, I slapped a piece of tape on the ol' RB while reading the news last night. Over 85k on the Braid leaderboards. Blow estimated ~55k in sales with the leaderboards at 62k, so he's probably around 75k now. ($1.125m in sales)

fernoca

Well, finally finished it yesterday.. :)
That ending sequence was like .. :O! ..when "it" happened! :O!!!

Congratulations to the team for making such an amazing and unique game, can't wait for the next game..whatever it is. :)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, I slapped a piece of tape on the ol' RB last night while reading the news last night. Over 85k on the Braid leaderboards. Blow estimated ~55k in sales with the leaderboards at 62k, so he's probably around 75k now. ($1.125m in sales)

Fantastic news. He deserves every $ he gets. I just couldn't be happier with my entire Braid experience. It just came out of nowhere and blew my socks off.

This game needs to be on PSP/DS/PSN and every other platform that can handle it.

FrankT

GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, I slapped a piece of tape on the ol' RB while reading the news last night. Over 85k on the Braid leaderboards. Blow estimated ~55k in sales with the leaderboards at 62k, so he's probably around 75k now. ($1.125m in sales)

Very nice.

LiK

sangreal said:
For the record, they do charge tax. I can't remember if they charge tax from the dashboard too, but 1200 points on zune marketplace cost me $16.05 (7% NJ sales tax)

really? no tax for dashboard cuz i check my CC statements and there's no extra charge on my points purchases.

fernoca

LiK said:
really? no tax for dashboard cuz i check my CC statements and there's no extra charge on my points purchases.
It's kinda weird, though around here they don't charge tax for Zune 1200 points cards ($15.00 flat), but do charge them for the Xbox Live cards (1600 points = $21.38)....and nope, no tax for Dashboard points....though a friend once told me that he was charged tax and uses that as reason for not buying poins through there anymore...but maybe he was drunk.

Man I am feeling cheated right now because I had to look up a couple of solutions for World 5 on Youtube. It wasn't Crossing the Gap - I happened upon the key mechanic to that level while dicking around.

It was the levels right before and after CTG. What pisses me off is I never realized that the shadow will CONTINUE on the same path that Tim WOULD have gone on during a fall, beyond where Tim ACTUALLY DID go because time was reversed. Keep that in mind if anyone's stuck on those levels.

I feel like if I had just been aware of this design mechanic that I could have solved the levels on my own. But I had no idea that this mechanic was even part of the rule set. It's the first time I've more modern things like a pop up text/tutorial that tells you some of what's going on. I guess I just never noticed it ... argh... It's hard to play the game when you don't fully know the rules.

FightyF

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
Man I am feeling cheated right now because I had to look up a couple of solutions for World 5 on Youtube. It wasn't Crossing the Gap - I happened upon the key mechanic to that level while dicking around.

It was the levels right before and after CTG. What pisses me off is I never realized that the shadow will CONTINUE on the same path that Tim WOULD have gone on during a fall, beyond where Tim ACTUALLY DID go because time was reversed. Keep that in mind if anyone's stuck on those levels.

I feel like if I had just been aware of this design mechanic that I could have solved the levels on my own. But I had no idea that this mechanic was even part of the rule set. It's the first time I've more modern things like a pop up text/tutorial that tells you some of what's going on. I guess I just never noticed it ... argh... It's hard to play the game when you don't fully know the rules.

Part of the game is exploration in regards to what you can or can't do. There was one mechanic that took me a 1/2 hour before I totally realized what it was all about, and using that realization I went back and got pieces that I missed (was able to get some without fully understanding it).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, don't look at FAQs or guides...EVER, if you want full enjoyment of this game. I have 2
Stars
at the moment, and it may take me another few months to find the rest. I'm fine with that. I know that by doing it in that manner, I'll get the most out of the game.

I was tempted to look at FAQs when I had two puzzles left. Like, I was 10 seconds away from going to them. I spent a good 1/2 hour each staring at each puzzle and trying different things. I was just about to hit GAF when I stumbled upon something I didn't realize, and then I hit another roadblock, and then I realized how to get over that. In the end it was far more rewarding, despite the fact that at one point I thought it was hopeless.

At that point I realized...Why am I in a rush to beat this game? Why do I feel like I need to resort to FAQs, and get everything immediately? From there I realized that looking at a FAQ for a puzzle game defeats the purpose of the game. Sure, you want to see more of the story, but that's half the enjoyment. Sacrificing the other half for it is not worth it, IMO.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cocopjojo said:
Woot, just got the speedrun achievement. Sheesh, it was hard. I've been practicing the puzzles for the past day or so, and started attempting runs earlier. Failed it the first time by twelve seconds (ugh), but then got it after that with 15 seconds to spare.

Very satisfying achievement.

Also, soundtrack had been posted earlier, but will repost for great justice:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewIMix?id=287680699

Available on iTunes as an unofficial iMix. Not sure if that's all the songs, though. I made up this cover if anyone wants to use it:

2njlyqe.jpg

Thanks so much for this. Great cover, too.

I'm committed to not going for any FAQs or vids for world six. I just couldn't take it anymore on 5 and now I'm pissed I did it. I don't know how long - if ever - it would have taken for me to figure out that shadow mechanic though, because of the way I play the game. Basically, I don't move on until I figure out the current puzzle. Kind of OCD that way.

I didn't cheat at all on world 4 and that's the one most people seem to have trouble with, so at least i have that! :D

sangreal

Finally some optimism from Mr. Blow
Jonathan Blow said:
Unfortunately I cannot give direct sales numbers since that would be a violation of my contract with Microsoft. However, I can say that Braid is doing pretty well now, money-wise. The sales have kept going. If ******** does another Day One listing this week, for Galaga Legions on Thursday, there ought to be a pretty good estimate in there.

I hope he has real sales numbers now and isn't relying too much on ioi :lol

Brakara

sangreal said:
I hope he has real sales numbers now and isn't relying too much on ioi :lol

ioi isn't doing the XBLA numbers. They're extrapolated by Benjamin Schlichter (Mr Killemgood on GAF) from data from more than 2 million gamercards on mygamercard.net, and in general seem to be in the right ball-park. What Blow indicates (where did you get that quote from btw?), is that Benjamin's XBLA numbers indeed are in the right ball-park.

Btw, his Braid numbers on Saturday were 83,198.

sangreal

Brakara said:
ioi isn't doing the XBLA numbers. They're extrapolated by Benjamin Schlichter from data from more than 2 million gamercards on mygamercard.net, and in general seem to be in the right ball-park. What Blow indicates (where did you get that quote from btw?), is that Schlichter's XBLA numbers indeed are in the right ball-park.

ah, I figured ioi was just taking the bottom of the leaderboards and subtracting a few thousand. Anyways, the quote is from the comments on his blog: http://braid-game.com/news/?p=331#comments

Top Bottom