• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

FrankT

Chris Remo said:
200 out of 60,000 isn't really representative of anything, since not nearly all of those 60,000 have completed the game at all, and of course a smaller number than that have attempted a speed run.

Perhaps, no matter it is still a pretty challenging task to say the very least.

JavaMava

I'm having a really rough time making a choice here guys. Both eventually, but for the near future... Braid or Bionic Commando?

I'd get Bionic on steam (I have much easier access to a PC over my 360, complicated but the way it it). However I hear (while trying to dodge spoilers) that Braid is something really really special. I can't afford both right now. I know this may be a bit of a bias topic to ask in, but this certainly isn't a new thread worthy question.

User2k

JavaMava said:
I'm having a really rough time making a choice here guys. Both eventually, but for the near future... Braid or Bionic Commando?

I'd get Bionic on steam (I have much easier access to a PC over my 360, complicated but the way it it). However I hear (while trying to dodge spoilers) that Braid is something really really special. I can't afford both right now. I know this may be a bit of a bias topic to ask in, but this certainly isn't a new thread worthy question.

Can't afford two cheapy games? You must really be in a tight spot. I'de personally chose Braid over Bionic commando. It's really not a title anyone should miss. Bionic Commando will be there when you have the money.

JavaMava

User2k said:
Can't afford two cheapy games? You must really be in a tight spot. I'de personally chose Braid over Bionic commando. It's really not a title anyone should miss. Bionic Commando will be there when you have the money.

Not so much a tight spot, as more important things to put money into. College, transportation, activities with friends, ect. I have a certain amount I can spend on games every month, and with this month I have enough left for one or the other.

I'm also thinking of waiting for a weekend deal on BC. Steam does that a lot and thats when I grab most of my games.

Thanks.

Raistlin

I don't know if this has been discussed before (this thread is pretty huge) ... but the game's graphics style REALLY remind me of some old game for the Sega CD.

I can't remember if it was Flink or something else? I remember it being a Euro game.

JavaMava

Well I bought Braid. It's really incredible. The first 2 worlds or so my jaw was dropped (by the way does it start on
world 2? I'm assuming that makes world 1 the over world?)
The worlds after that started to get me stumped and the last few I felt so bad going through entire levels without being able to grab and puzzle pieces. Though going back to the first few worlds I was able to comprehend how to grab some of the ones I'd missed.

I really like this game so far and I can't wait till I figure out how to do some of the later words.

Also the bright vibrant colors that kind of draw over themselves remind me of acid. Not what I think acid would be like, but an actual acid trip.

FightyF

Banned
JavaMava said:

The thing about Braid is half of the experience is the unspoiled experience. Getting it sooner is probably the best plan.

For me, the Braid experience has been one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Any part spoiled would have reduced it for me. The more spoiled, the lesser the experience.

If you're gonna wait, I'd suggest staying away from anything Braid related.

I can't stop thinking about this game. It fucking hurts. I want to rewind time and go through the whole thing again. Except this time I'd have learned from my mistakes.

No really, this whole concept of gameplay as story has ballooned so much inside my head it's absurd. I'm actually getting quite paranoid about it, like this frustration I feel over how fucking obvious the puzzles all are now and how short lived the game is was somehow fucking planned. Like it's a part of the goddamn story.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally decided to pick this up yesterday. I'd been fighting the idea of spending 1200 points on an arcade title, and at first I just didn't "get" Braid. Then all of a sudden everything just sort of clicked. I loving the shit out of this game. The puzzles are very well thought out; quite ingenious even. My stubbornness almost allowed me to miss out on a wonderful experience.

Oni Jazar

I'm trying to go for the
stars

I cannot get the one in Fickle Companion (World 4). I've seen two you tube vids and the post on gamefaqs but the last part doesn't seem to work.
I got the key and 'goomba' up to the platform. I can open the first door and turn the lever, but I cannot unlock/open the door again without the key.
I tried everything! Stupid you tube videos have 'cuts' which means that they are doing something which I'm not! ARG. I want my princess!

Kreed

Oni Jazar said:
I'm trying to go for the
stars

I cannot get the one in Fickle Companion (World 4). I've seen two you tube vids and the post on gamefaqs but the last part doesn't seem to work.
I got the key and 'goomba' up to the platform. I can open the first door and turn the lever, but I cannot unlock/open the door again without the key.
I tried everything! Stupid you tube videos have 'cuts' which means that they are doing something which I'm not! ARG. I want my princess!

You need to open the door again using your time powers after you've unlocked it with the key. Open the door with the key, go back out so the door closes (using the level's time powers and not your own), get the key back to the "goomba", then reverse time so that you're back behind the door and turn the lever.

Feindflug

OK guys I'm seriously stuck in the 6-6 elevator action in the last puzzle with the switch and the ladder - seems impossible right now..any hint?

It's the last puzzle...arghhhhh! :lol

Feindflug said:
OK guys I'm seriously stuck in the 6-6 elevator action in the last puzzle with the switch and the ladder - seems impossible right now..any hint?

Time affects your ring.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Feindflug said:

SoG, I think he is asking for the puzzle BEFORE that one

in increasing spoiliness:
look for something around you that seems redundant or unnecessary
and watch how it moves
(it's the right-hand sparkly platform)
move it to the left of the other platform somehow
note that you are immune to time effects while standing on it, and a short while after

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damn. I find this game quite frustrating actually. Like I get stumped on a puzzle and then convince myself that I can't solve it. It's quite depressing.

TTG

Just finished this game yesterday. Very enjoyable experience, but I didn't see one star as I went through it. If I hadn't read a couple of pages from this thread, I would never know.

Anyone have a guide and an explanation for what stars do?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Just got all the stars...
so the Princess being in chains means that the guy that rescued her was evil? I'm hearing from folks that they think there might be more unlocked after getting the stars (an alternate ending or something), but no one's figured it out yet.

Speevy

Banned
I played through this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's probably the first downloadable game that was worth far more than a few nibbles. I ate the whole damn thing.

I'm on the last level, got all the puzzle pieces in the main world...
working out the collaborative effort on the last level with the princess. Really not enjoying the last level at all.

I've DONE IT!!!!

I feel like my brain has been through a blender. I finally did the very last puzzle in World 6 last night which was just grin inducing, but I still had two more to go in World 5 (the last piece in Crossing the Gap and the first piece in Window of Oppurtunity) This morning something clicked and I got the WoO piece, then I sort of got lucky on Crossing The Gap when I noticed...something...by accident.

Then the final levels and the prologue.... wow. At the moment I'm still letting it all sink in, trying to think back over the game, the books and the time-warpness of it all.

Brilliant, outstanding, I can't remember the last time a game made me feel so warm and happy inside. That feeling you get when you crack the puzzle and you see the jigsaw piece flying into the top corner of the screen... not many games induce that sort of feeling.

Oni Jazar

g35twinturbo said:
nope :)

My boss and I have been playing since release and have gotten all the stars, ya don't need no stinking faqs!

Seriously? Very impressive. I don't know how you guys did it! How long did it take? What was the hardest star to find?

FrankT

sionyboy said:
The garage door annoys me.

On the one hand it says "DLC IN HERE", on the other, Mr Blow said no to extra levels etc... :(

Know what you mean I'm just waiting for that garage door to open up, haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oni Jazar said:
Seriously? Very impressive. I don't know how you guys did it! How long did it take? What was the hardest star to find?

Yeah, I think I only saw three overt clues. The other five, I had no idea they were even there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm on World 6 right now with 2 puzzle pieces. I've gotten all the puzzle pieces so far. I'm honestly floored how great this game is. Not only does the art bring a lot to the game, but the music is simply amazing. I wish more games had an eclectic melancholy sound like this.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I solved every jigsaw puzzle before entering the next world... now I'm on 6 with 2 puzzle pieces left.

Going from BioShock to Portal to Braid has been the best stream of gaming I think I've ever done.

Jtyettis said:
Know what you mean I'm just waiting for that garage door to open up, haha.
Heh, I bet David Hellman is getting a kick out of all the speculation about a random piece of background art.

jon bones said:
Going from BioShock to Portal to Braid has been the best stream of gaming I think I've ever done.
Nice. I'm slightly envious. :D

jon bones said:
I solved every jigsaw puzzle before entering the next world... now I'm on 6 with 2 puzzle pieces left.

That is GOLD Jerry, GOLD!!!

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Regarding one of the lines from one of the books at the start of world 5:

She was never quite close enough to him – but he held her as though she were, whispered into her ear words that only a soul mate should receive.

That, honestly, resonates quite strongly with me. I'm finding a lot of things like that in the game.

soldat7

Beat the game last night (
No stars yet
). I have no stinking clue what went on with the ending, but just like a good classic novel, I'll be doing this one again.

Bravo Jonathan Blow, David Hellman, and those that provided the music. Bravo.

catfish said:
damn. I find this game quite frustrating actually. Like I get stumped on a puzzle and then convince myself that I can't solve it. It's quite depressing.
I was that way with about a dozen of them. A couple of them I figured out while lying in bed. :lol Another 4 took me at least 30 minutes each, I was ready to quit. I admit I needed youtube for 6 of them. =( My patience had worn thin. Still an amazing game.

My analysis of the ending

Tim is actually a villian, we played through and helped the villian the whole time! We think he is trying to find his "princess" but in reality "princess" is the term for the person that he is stalking. So he manipulates time to make it seem that he his trying to find his love but as we discover, he is a stalking motherfucker. He is sitting outside her window all creepy like and she is like "wtf" so she runs and tries to get away from him and trying to kill him with ladders and shit and she finally gets away from Tim. So, as the world is named "1" we now know that the rest of the game which we played was his quest to hunt her down and the dinosaur creatures were protectors of her and they were lieing because they know his true intentions with "princess": raping her. So thats how I understood it anyway.

Speevy

Banned
Mr Killemgood said:
If sales-agers care...Weekend numbers for Braid will be out in about 8-9hrs. Looks like Braid is >80,000 units in 10 days, and continuing to grow.

It should return to 5 days ago and sell another 20,000.

User2k

Finally beat it. Surprised by the ending, didn't expect anything like that. Spectacular title, I hope this inspires new devs to create similar games.

User2k said:
Finally beat it. Surprised by the ending, didn't expect anything like that. Spectacular title, I hope this inspires new devs to create similar games.
I hope so, too. Everything is pretty repetitive, nowadays. If it keeps up, I'll probably give up gaming in a couple of years.

Top Bottom