• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think they said it in such a way that only the CC price was wrong.

They told both Shacknews and Kotaku that the Braid price was "incorrect for both domestic and international markets."

In effect, they lied. I don't think there's any way around it.

Eric WK said:
They told both Shacknews and Kotaku that the Braid price was "incorrect for both domestic and international markets."

I must be thinking of something else then.

I still think I raised just too convincing an argument.

;D

FrankT

UPDATE:Microsoft contacted Kotaku to clarify some details. Apparently the price of Braid is listed incorrectly, with the correct price being announced Monday, while North American Castle Crashers pricing will be announced August 25th. Note they didn't say the Castle Crashers price was incorrect

Yea, some PR rep messed up there. Not seeing how that could get lost in translation either since they said the actual price would be announced Monday. Not sure if this bodes well for the other part either.

The Behemoth's Emil Ayoubkhan wanted to make it crystal clear that Castle Crashers will not be 1800 MS points ($22.50 US Earth dollars) when it releases Aug. 27, as indicated by the Japanese Xbox site. Ayoubkhan states that a price has not been decided on by Microsoft and that The Behemoth is working with the company to determine a "reasonable" price point, implying that the 1800 MS price point wouldn't be The Behemoth's choice.

As we stated previously, $22.50 would make Castle Crashers the most expensive XBLA title ever -- beating Penny Arcade's record-setting $20 price tag. We'll allegedly get final word on Castle Crashers' price by, at the latest, Aug. 25.

Although 1600 for CC is probably best guess for it.

Jtyettis said:
Yea, some PR rep messed up there. Not seeing how that could get lost in translation either since they said the actual price would be announced Monday. Not sure if this bodes well for the other part either.

I really would not be surprised if they looked at someone like Kotaku's reaction to the prices and had quite a few emergency meetings.

Mifune

Mehmber
So it really is 1200...

Still not thrilled about the price, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a must buy.

soldat7

Son of Godzilla said:
This is obviously an effort to make it look like a premium title above tripe like Eets and Cloning Clyde. Shame, cuz I'll miss those five bucks dearly.

Those ain't tripe!

Eric WK said:

While I won't allow a measly $5 stop me from the Braid experience, I am disappointed that MS did indeed lie about the price being 'incorrect'. But am I surprised? Of course not! It's MS for crying out loud!

Portal was $20 and provided around 3 hours or so of extremely high quality gameplay and was considered worth the money by most gamers. Does anybody know the length of Braid?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PhatSaqs said:
Seriously. I dont get why people feel entitled to get shit for extra cheap because it's a XBLA DD.
It's because the best games for the platform are all at the $10 price point or less, and some of them are better than full releases that cost $60. I'm still buying it, but they have a lot of chutzpah to say Braid is worth $5 more than Geo Wars 2. I hope the demo shows well.

Damnit, this was going to be the one I was going to skip this month.

After this thread I've gotten pretty excited about it. Will still try the demo first of course.

I was in the "backgrounds look nice, characters look meh" camp until I saw this:

tim-run-70pc.gif

Couldn't really explain why, but I think this game is beautiful.

Jme

wayward archer said:
Damnit, this was going to be the one I was going to skip this month.

After this thread I've gotten pretty excited about it. Will still try the demo first of course.

I was in the "backgrounds look nice, characters look meh" camp until I saw this:

tim-run-70pc.gif

Couldn't really explain why, but I think this game is beautiful.

Oh, that is such a tempting temporary avatar change...

Eric WK

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Portal was $20 and provided around 3 hours or so of extremely high quality gameplay and was considered worth the money by most gamers. Does anybody know the length of Braid?

Anywhere from five to ten hours most likely.

Jonathan Blow said:
I would say that it’s 5-8 hours of gameplay to play through most of the puzzles, depending on how quickly you solve the puzzles. From there, if there are a few hard puzzles you get stuck on, it could be an extra 1-5 hours…

SapientWolf said:
So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most brilliant puzzle in Braid, where would the one in the video fit?

I think that is the most outrageously creative one. There are some very enemy pattern heavy ones later and many many where certain enemies react to time and some don't or do in an unexpected manner. There is one later on that has to be done with near perfect pattern accuracy and it took me a while to nail it.

I have not played the game to completion as I wanted to enjoy it at home and not ruin all of it for myself. A guy here is on level 6 but not 100% done level 5.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh noes, a whole $15.

I guess if you guys beg your moms reaaalll nice and maybe do some chores you can get it. :lol

In the comments on the Braid blog, Blow mentioned that a PS3 version might be available eventually. Although I might snag this for the PC...

Eric WK

Cross posted from the XBLA thread because the quotes deserve mentioning here.

Praise For Braid said:
"Braid is an ingenious and startlingly creative puzzle game, built with an understanding of good game design that even some of the industry's most revered figures could learn from."

PC Gamer Magazine (UK)

"It's the most original and fresh platform game I've played in at least ten years, and almost every single puzzle in it will make you grin with happiness and clap with appreciation at the cleverness of it."

Graham Goring, The Arsecast

"Braid has the potential to change the way you think about reality. It will certainly change the way you think about video games."

Jason Roher, Arthouse Games

"Beyond Braid's enchanting hand-painted visual style, beyond its often haunting score, and beyond its musings on love and personal growth... Braid is one of the most progressive platform/puzzle games we've played in years."

Cam Shea, IGN Australia

"Braid's artistic design is as imaginative as its puzzles. The whimsical world looks like a painting come to life."

Hilary Goldstein, IGN

"Braid is a risky experiment climaxing in glorious success. Ask yourself when last you felt a sense of reward and achievement playing a game; not Achievement with a capital 'A' and ten Microsoft points, but an actual sense of pride... And when did a game really make you look at the world differently?"

Xbox World 360 Magazine

"I love this game.... I feel like I'm using parts of my brain that have never been used before, like parts that haven't evolved yet."

Frank Lantz

"One of the most interesting, satisfying, beautiful game experiences I've ever had."

Reverend Anthony, Destructoid

"We're not used to being able to manipulate time in the ways that Braid allows you to... You can sit staring at it for hours, feeling entirely clueless as to how the next jigsaw piece could even be possible to reach. But with a bit of patience, everything just clicks, and you can't help but smile to yourself at how elegantly simple the whole thing is. It was never difficult at all - you just weren't thinking in the right way. That's videogaming Zen.

Sean Bell, DarkZero

"Braid remains a beautiful and brilliantly demanding game that barely contains its dense population of ideas, taking its place alongside Geometry Wars and Pac-Man Championship Edition as one of the finest original titles available on Live Arcade."

Edge

"The end level is fucking ingenious."

Gamer Hate

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
IGN XBLA Reviews Braid:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/896/896371p1.html

9.0 Presentation
The world plays out like a twisted fairy tale and even the hub world feels like a piece of a larger puzzle.
8.5 Graphics
It's like playing through a watercolor painting. Haunting, beautiful, and magical.
8.0 Sound
The music is enchanting, which is important, since there is little in the way of other sounds.
9.0 Gameplay
Highly imaginative puzzles that will give you brain a workout. This is unlike any other game on Xbox 360.
6.0 Lasting Appeal
Great minds will be able to get through fairly quickly. Though there is a Speed Run option after beating Braid, there is little incentive to come back for seconds.
Great OVERALL

I love that image as an avatar but here at work I don't have ImageReady (we use CS3).

Could someone drop it down below even 100 to something under 75?

Pretty please!

Here it is again, by the way:

av0r4p.gif

Digital Limit said:
I love that image as an avatar but here at work I don't have ImageReady (we use CS3).

Could someone drop it down below even 100 to something under 75?

Pretty please!

Here it is again, by the way:

av0r4p.gif

You can import animated gifs in Photoshop CS3, Adobe just made it ass backwards.

On the PC...

File > Import > Video As Frames

Put *.gif in the filename field and press enter.

On the Mac just rename the .gif to a .mov and do the import.

FrankT

Not A Fur said:
I haven't tried to do a 'midnight launch' for an XBLA game yet, can anyone tell me when this will be up tonight (PST)?

I believe they go up about 3:00EST so what 12:00 your time. Edit maybe not.

The artwork in this game is beautiful, but 1200 is kind of a tough sell. It's really a pity they didn't launch this at the standard 800 point price. It's kind of tough to prioritize it over all the other great games coming out on XBLA and PSN with only a limited amount of time to devote to them all. I am glad to see developer's having an outlet to pursue such a bold artistic vision though.

-edit wait a second, this game is going to utilize portions of my brain that i have never used before? Wow, talk about high praise. I suppose I will give it a closer look after all. :D

Dabanton

So excited for this. The music is so beautiful.

Also price is no problem for me as long as the game delivers.

Which from the reviews it looks like it has.:D

Hmmm, I guess $15 for 4 hours of excellent gaming is better than the $60 for 40 hours of shitty gaming that GTAIV delivered. Sometimes it's nice to play a short game. I'd rather leave wishing for more than leave wishing I could have 20 hours of my life back.

watership

Psychotext said:
A quick check tells me the only XBLA game they've given a higher score to was Ikaruga.

IGN is strangely harsh on XBLA games. They took Geometry Wars 2 to task for not being as good as Super Stardust HD. Okay. Still, it's a high score from them in terms of previous live releases.

EazyB

Banned
I've been spending way to many space bucks as of late but it seems like this game is goin to have me shelling out even more come tomorrow. Hope it's as good as it looks.

This looks amazing and arguably has better art than any other game released this year. Just because it isn't trying to be either "hip" or "retro" doesn't mean it's ugly.

Top Bottom