• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

senahorse

Praise for Braid said:
Xbox World 360 Magazine

"I love this game.... I feel like I'm using parts of my brain that have never been used before, like parts that haven't evolved yet."

:lol :lol

fernoca

Come on Microsoft!!
4:20AM..that's all I'm asking..4:29 even...I have to leave at 4:30AM.. and I want the game there when I return after 1PM....just that!! ..the points are already there waiting!!!!!

IGN`s review makes it seem a lot like Lost Winds (Short length, puzzles taking precedence over platforming, story driven gameplay) and then you have the unique art style. Count me in :D

Dabanton

The game really reminds me of kid chameleon for some reason.

KidChameleon2.jpg

kid_chameleon_1024.jpg

Eric WK

Quote from Jonathan Blow regarding the pricing:

The price has been officially announced; it’s 1200. I would prefer if it were 800, but this is how it is.

He goes into greater detail about some things here:

http://braid-game.com/news/?p=245#comments

I have a lot of thoughts on these things, yes. Still, I don’t know if I will write them up, because I want the conversation to be about the actual game, and not the price. I don’t care about the price. I don’t care about money, except to the extent that it lets me make games.

When I was thinking today about whether to do the write-up, I realized that all the information that will let people figure out exactly why the game costs 1200 points is all public, and anyone who really cared and thought about it would see the obvious answer. However, people don’t care — they just want to say something grumpy on forums. That’s fine, but I don’t want to participate.

What I care about long-term is the game itself. People being upset over $5 is a relatively small thing; whatever was said yesterday on forums is as heavy as that discussion is going to get. However, when it comes to the game itself — I hope that at this time tomorrow people will be talking about how it’s interesting, or it’s really fun, or they didn’t find it very fun but they can see how someone else might, etc. 5 years from now, or 10 years from now, I hope people are talking about the game with respect to others in the history of games. That is what I care about.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:

Check my edit and read his comment responses on his blog. Pretty interesting.

As much as people might consider him pretentious or however one would classify the criticism of him, I really like this guy. I think he's doing things the right way.

Dabanton said:
The game really reminds me of kid chameleon for some reason.

KidChameleon2.jpg

kid_chameleon_1024.jpg
The generic and out of place main character. Who wants to play a game as Conan Obrian.
tim-run-70pc.gif

But of course, I haven't played the game yet, so it could end up working.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stayin' up for it tonight, but I'm definitely gonna check out the trial before I pull the trigger on any purchase.

RBH

Dark Octave said:
Who wants to play a game as Conan Obrian.
tim-run-70pc.gif
I think the more appropriate question is who wouldn't want to play a game as Conan O'Brien.

And now that you mention it, the main character of Braid does look a bit like a mini Conan. :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Akira said:
I like the background art, but the character and enemy designs are ugly.

I think that's the point. They're like, jarringly unattractive and like, creepily real too - it makes them look cool to me. I think it's just lovely.

Well... this should be up by the time I awake. I've been working my arse off until now (4am) to make sure I'd have some time to give this a decent play.

Hope it's good! :D

DustoMan

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
It sounds like he did.

It sounded to me more like he went with 1200 points because he felt MS would be more likely to go for that then 800 points and he wanted to stay in their "good graces."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wake up at 6 am -> spend my first space bucks! -> work till forever o clock -> finally play braid!

Cianalas

RBH said:
I think the more appropriate question is who wouldn't want to play a game as Conan O'Brien.

And now that you mention it, the main character of Braid does look a bit like a mini Conan. :lol
Throw in a green '92 Ford Taurus with a hornet trunk attack and they'd have my moneys.

DustoMan said:
It sounded to me more like he went with 1200 points because he felt MS would be more likely to go for that then 800 points and he wanted to stay in their "good graces."

Um, not really:

Rod — I agree with you, it is a significant risk. However, I had to look at the low end too — I have no idea how many people will buy Braid even at $10 (it is the least popular of the Summer of Arcade games, with the least publicity).

What I had to guard against is the Space Giraffe problem. Jeff Minter priced Space Giraffe (which is the best game on XBLA) at $5 because he wanted a lot of people to be able to afford it, and really wanted to give something to the fans at a low price. Well, that bit him in the ass because he only sold 19k copies; depending on how big his testing+localization advance was, maybe he has barely made any money from Space Giraffe at all, and just lost a lot of money (due to the time spent in development). I don’t know exactly. I’m pretty sure, though, he didn’t even make back his cost of living.

If I could ensure my ability to keep making games without publisher interference, and release Braid at $0, I would do that. But I had to guard against the Space Giraffe problem. Like Space Giraffe, Braid is a non-mainstream game, very different from the other things on XBLA, without much publicity. And Jeff Minter had a built-in audience from his previous games, waiting to play SG the minute it came out; Braid doesn’t even have that.

There is a significant possibility that Braid would have been the next Psychonauts or Beyond Good and Evil (critically acclaimed but nobody played it), even at $10. If that happens at $10 then I am in debt and have to get a job and can’t make games any more. If that happens at $15, maybe I can still make games. That is the difference.

Aaron

Braid doesn't have the 'WTF is this?' problem that Space Giraffe did though. I think it'll do fine at that price, and I think MS were nice to release it before Rearmed and Castle Crashers, since those are both big content games that are going to keep people occupied for weeks or more.

Eric WK

Some good news about the trial version:

beelzebubble, I hear ya on the price. All I can say is, try the demo all the way through (you can play pieces of 3 different worlds) and if it seems like it’s worth $15 to you, then, cool. If not… well, hopefully Braid will get price-reduced in the future.

I was worried it would end up being just the world that's been shown off in media so much and that people wouldn't really understand that the worlds offer different challenges.

Slavik81

bryehn said:
It's gonna cost me over $22 to play Braid tomorrow. Go Canadian Microsoft Point pricing!
It's $23.51CAD for enough points to buy Braid. Guess what game I'm not buying?
Jonathan Blow can direct his complaints at Microsoft for that.

Shamrock

Banned
Man MS really screwed this developer over if they talked him into releasing this at a 1200 price point.

It's not a problem that game is going to cost 15 bucks. The problem is MS doesn't offer a 1200 point pack. So that means your either going to have to buy

1000 points 12.50 and a 500 point pack 6.25 which in reality make this game cost 18.75

or

a 2000 point MS poin pack which is 25.

Thats going to turn a lot of people off and that is MS fault because they don't offer a 1200 MS point pack and force people to buy more points then they need. On top of this I bet it won't even register in most people's minds to buy a 1000 and 500 pack so they will see they need 2000 MS point pack and just say "25 no way".

keanerie

Shamrock said:
Man MS really screwed this developer over if they talked him into releasing this at a 1200 price point.

It's not a problem that game is going to cost 15 bucks. The problem is MS doesn't offer a 1200 point pack. So that means your either going to have to buy

1000 points 12.50 and a 500 point pack 6.25 which in reality make this game cost 18.75

or

a 2000 point MS poin pack which is 25.

Thats going to turn a lot of people off and that is MS fault because they don't offer a 1200 MS point pack and force people to buy more points then they need. On top of this I bet it won't even register in most people's minds to buy a 1000 and 500 pack so they will see they need 2000 MS point pack and just say "25 no way".

How much is Bionic Commando going to go for again?

Top Bottom