• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Braid (XBLA/PC/PSN/Mac) |OT|

Rlan

Game's gonna cost me $19.20AU since Harvey Norman sell 1500 Point packs in Australia for $24AU Meanwhile a 3000 pack costs $50AU? pfft.

Shamrock said:
Man MS really screwed this developer over if they talked him into releasing this at a 1200 price point.

It's not a problem that game is going to cost 15 bucks. The problem is MS doesn't offer a 1200 point pack. So that means your either going to have to buy

1000 points 12.50 and a 500 point pack 6.25 which in reality make this game cost 18.75

or

a 2000 point MS poin pack which is 25.

Thats going to turn a lot of people off and that is MS fault because they don't offer a 1200 MS point pack and force people to buy more points then they need. On top of this I bet it won't even register in most people's minds to buy a 1000 and 500 pack so they will see they need 2000 MS point pack and just say "25 no way".

Do you even read before you post, price was set by the dev themselfs.

Shamrock

Banned
supermackem said:
Do you even read before you post, price was set by the dev themselfs.

I did read what was said the developer made it pretty clear he talked with MS about the price point and even said at one time he wanted it to be 800 MS point. Sounds to me the way he explained it that MS talked him into pricing it at 1200 points.
My feeling was that Microsoft would price the game at 1200 no matter what I said; however, I never pushed them to that point. Late last week, Microsoft and I had a conversation where we talked about a bunch of issues and I agreed on the 1200 point price.

There are good reasons why I picked 1200 instead of 800 (I thought about writing them up today, but I’m not sure it’s really appropriate; I might, though, tonight. We’ll see how I feel about it later.)

The Reader’s Digest version is, I would have been perfectly happy with a launch price of 800 points. At 1200 points I am less happy, but I am okay with it.

Eric WK

Shamrock said:
I did read what was said the developer made it pretty clear he talked with MS about the price point and even said at one time he wanted it to be 800 MS point. Sounds to me the way he explained it that MS talked him into pricing it at 1200 points.

Exactly.

Gowans

Great post by Blow.

I can't wait for the game to come out in an hour and for us to move past the price point talk.

Read the edge review last night and can't wait.

keanerie

Linkzg said:
Whatever $10 is supposed to be. I think 800 points or something like that.

Well, then I'll just get 2000 points, which will leave me with 800 after Braid, and get Bionic Commando and it'll all work out.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Here's the Eurogamer review for your collective perusal: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205102

"I almost never give out full marks, generally reserving that honour for retro games that have proven their worth many times over, but Braid has me in its spell. Judged purely as a game, it's cunning, ingenious and endlessly surprising. The puzzles are varied, the level design is revelatory and the whole thing clicks together like clockwork. For those only interested in gameplay, it's simply an excellent puzzler-cum-platformer. But there's so much more here, a desire to create a game experience that is more than mere technical craft. That it succeeds in creating an abstract emotional experience, one where each player can find their own level of meaning and personal context, all within the confines of the 2D platformer, is perhaps the most astonishing achievement of all."

10/10

keanerie

Cataferal said:
Here's the Eurogamer review for your collective perusal: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=205102

"I almost never give out full marks, generally reserving that honour for retro games that have proven their worth many times over, but Braid has me in its spell. Judged purely as a game, it's cunning, ingenious and endlessly surprising. The puzzles are varied, the level design is revelatory and the whole thing clicks together like clockwork. For those only interested in gameplay, it's simply an excellent puzzler-cum-platformer. But there's so much more here, a desire to create a game experience that is more than mere technical craft. That it succeeds in creating an abstract emotional experience, one where each player can find their own level of meaning and personal context, all within the confines of the 2D platformer, is perhaps the most astonishing achievement of all."

10/10

wow

maxax

Cataferal said:

10/10
I was not really interested in this game but after reading this, I'm intrigued. It's now on my TOGET list.

Gowans

wow a Eurogamer 10 is almost worth a new thread itself.

Great review, the guy obviously has really made a connection with the game.
This is one of the reasons I love XBLA that games like this game exist today on consoles.

/watches the clock.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Gowans007 said:
wow a Eurogamer 10 is almost worth a new thread itself.

Yeah, but you know what GAF's like. People will be moaning "oh, there isnt a thread for this etc...".

I agree though. Good review - and I was completely oblivious to this game before I read it. Cant believe we only have 52 minutes to wait.

Cataferal said:

10/10

wow........

pswii60

Cataferal said:

10/10
Woah. 9/10 in Edge. 10/10 at EG.

If only I can pull myself away from GW2, I'll be giving this game some loving later.

Gowans

Cataferal said:
Yeah, but you know what GAF's like. People will be moaning "oh, there isnt a thread for this etc...".

haha yeah thats why the almost.

Railer said:
So.. How long until it's released? :)
I'm so damn eager to play this game.

its normally 9am in the UK so 50mins

GreekWolf

Cataferal said:

10/10
Very nice. I know someone was joking about it earlier, but maybe this really is a legitimate candidate for GOTY

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I reckon somebody should update the topic title with mention of that score. Might lure some uninitiated Braiders into our watercolour web. I think this game needs a little more attention than it's actually receiving. :p

Dabanton

I wonder which joker will be the first to post a this game sucks thread.:lol

Won't be able to get my hands on this until tonight. I'm at work until 10pm.

Willy Wanka said:
Wow, that's one hell of a glowing review from Eurogamer.

Even though Braid takes obvious influence from Super Mario Bros, its creative importance reminds me most of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' seminal graphic novel, Watchmen. On one level, it's exactly what it appears to be. For Watchmen, a superhero murder mystery. For Braid, a 2D platform game. But there's more. Much more. Both are works of homage and deconstruction, commentaries on the way we interact with their respective media. The deeper you look, the more you see.

:O

More than that, it's something that could only be done in this medium. Watchmen was written and drawn to explore narrative ideas that could only work in sequential panels and word balloons. Braid does much the same for jumps, moving platforms and perambulating enemies. So many games try to justify their creative ambitions by cribbing from other forms - wannabe movies dressed up as games, relying on our rehearsed responses from non-gaming experience. Braid is a videogame. It could only be a videogame and therein lies its true genius.

At this point, I suspect I'll have lost a lot of you.

No, no! I'm with you!

Rlan said:
Game's gonna cost me $19.20AU since Harvey Normal sell 1500 Point packs in Australia for $24AU Meanwhile a 3000 pack costs $50AU? pfft.

LMAO. Harvey Normal. It's odd reading that on a U.S forum.

Also, impressive Eurogamer review.
Well, I'm off to JB Hi Fi to get a points card.

FightyF

Banned
Jonathon Blow said:
but I ran out of money while developing Braid and had to borrow a lot — so I owe people a lot of money

$22 Cdn...so maybe most of that debt will be paid off by us Canucks!

More TotallyWorthItNess from Eurogamer

Only Portal comes close to the mentally liberating effect of Braid's construction, but even that feels like a half-measure in comparison. Time is fluid. Past, present and future are not destinations in a straight line but resources to be used, if only you can free your brain from its archaic A-to-B trajectory. Sorry Kutaragi-san, but this is 4D gaming and it could only have come from the world of the homebrew developer.

Spruchy

IGN said:
The only downside to Braid is its length. This is one short game. Completing the full game will only take a few hours, unless you get really stuck on one of the puzzles. And once you know how to beat each puzzle, there is no reason to come back. The difficulty never scales. Not even the addition of a speed run (can you complete Braid in under an hour?) can do much to retain interest in Braid when the final chapter is read.

Hmm...still getting but ;[

VALIS

Ha! This game is very weird and very clever. It's like wandering through a series of Monet paintings while on acid.

I love that it just throws you into things without any infernal hints or popups.

Mmm. Liking this.

pswii60

Soundtrack of the year.

And I can't believe how beautiful it looks. All the little effects with the grass and the way the background changes is incredible.

EDIT: But how come you start on World 2? Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So far it's not really clicking for me.

Aeana

Pretty neat so far. I like the typography.
My small hands and the dpad's position on the 360 controller don't mix, however... hand cramps already. :| Stick it is.

Top Bottom