• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oof, Time Slip just saved me as I was grinding in a dangerous spot without saving for a bit. I lost my bonuses but, oh well.

watershed

Banned
How do people feel about the 4 main characters? There's nothing groundbreaking about them in terms of your typical jrpg cast but I find myself liking everyone except Agnes. Her repeated "unacceptable" and just her character in general annoy me. I guess there are always annoying main characters in any jrpg but it doesn't help that there are only 4 in Bravely Default.

spiritfox

How do people feel about the 4 main characters? There's nothing groundbreaking about them in terms of your typical jrpg cast but I find myself liking everyone except Agnes. Her repeated "unacceptable" and just her character in general annoy me. I guess there are always annoying main characters in any jrpg but it doesn't help that there are only 4 in Bravely Default.

Mrgrgr.

Edea and Ringabel are ok, but the main couple's kinda bland. I also wish they weren't so stereotypical.

Eusis

I think the cast is kind of bland, but going off of the post following yours Edea and Ringabel ARE reasonably entertaining. Tiz is the Main Character, and Agnes gets kind of obnoxious at least early in the game.

Clov

I love Edea the most. Tiz and Agnes are nice, but I can't stand Ringabel. He's just SO annoying. Wish I could replace him with somebody else, but there's only four members, so I'm stuck with him.

Unacceptable!

but yeah Edea/Ringabel>Tiz/Agnes

also because why the fuck not, Amazon rankings (I know you're up Mpl90, HA!)

Bravely Default-3rd (TLoU is 4th? the fuck)
CE is gone apparently?

FFXIII: LR
PS3-6th
360-27th

Why don't you just roll over and die now, Lightning! -notVictoria

HawthorneKitty

I think Tiz and Agnes are bland because they have personalities that are goal-oriented. We don't see them have headlining quirks that really make them stand out. Unacceptable just can't cut it against Mrgrgr.

Moonlight

Banned
Edea is far and away the best where I'm at. Admittedly, that's not very far, but I like her a lot. She plays off Ringabel quite well, too, and speaking of I really like him too. Helps that Edea in particular is easily my favourite vocal performance in the game thus far. Cassandra Morris is a major talent. It would take some for 'mrgrgr' to work so damn well.

I wish I could be half as complimentary towards Tiz and Agnès, but... well, not fans of them. Tiz seems reasonably standard fare as far as JRPG protagonists go, but it's Agnès who really rubs me the wrong way. Her voice aside, I don't really like her stubborn determination to be martyred. Her refusing help constantly is just... urgh. Holier-than-thou.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm thinking of maybe deciding to not care about being too strong. Seems like this game has enough engaging non-story battles to handle wherever I'm at.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Unacceptable!

but yeah Edea/Ringabel>Tiz/Agnes

also because why the fuck not, Amazon rankings (I know you're up Mpl90, HA!)

Bravely Default-3rd (TLoU is 4th? the fuck)
CE is gone apparently?

FFXIII: LR
PS3-6th
360-27th

Why don't you just roll over and die now, Lightning! -notVictoria

The Last of Us is 4th due to the price: $29.99, a gigantic deal

But, seriously, how is this even possible? I started thinking BD could sell better than LR back when the demo increased its preorders, but then I thought I was crazy, but...why is still going on? It doesn't seem to be a case where the game's only available at a specific retailer, and then all preorders are concentrated in that specific retailer: Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart...it's available on there. Talking about online shops, specifically. What's the situation at retail? I don't think it's like Fire Emblem: that mess had consequences on its online availability almost right after the release, so...the heck is going on?

HawthorneKitty

The Last of Us is 4th due to the price: $29.99, a gigantic deal

But, seriously, how is this even possible? I started thinking BD could sell better than LR back when the demo increased its preorders, but then I thought I was crazy, but...why is still going on? It doesn't seem to be a case where the game's only available at a specific retailer, and then all preorders are concentrated in that specific retailer: Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart...it's available on there. Talking about online shops, specifically. What's the situation at retail? I don't think it's like Fire Emblem: that mess had consequences on its online availability almost right after the release, so...the heck is going on?
Everyone is buying LR off the SE store.
BD is just that popular.

Mpl90

Everyone is buying LR off the SE store.
BD is just that popular.

I don't know.
I mean, yes, SE store has the exclusive limited edition, but I still think there would be much bigger demand for a FF on the biggest online retailer among all. FFXIII and FFXIII-2 obviously damaged a lot LR's possibilities of selling, and we still don't know if they damaged the FF brand as a whole. Looking at preorder charts, FFX-X/2 should sell pretty well, and probably far better than LR, but for FFXV? Who knows.

Maybe you were sarcastic, but I just decided to give a regular answer in spite of that

duckroll

Characters are pretty crappy in general. The writing in the game is mostly awful. There isn't much thought put into internal logic for anything, it wants to be a simple story for kids but at the same time is filled with inappropriate stuff where the characters just murder people and there's perverted sexual innuendo all over. The quest itself is pretty boring, and there seems to be a lot of padding where you're led on wild goose chases just to make the game feel longer.

Gameplay's fun though, and the art is fantastic, which helps.

Jintor

Characters are pretty crappy in general. The writing in the game is mostly awful. There isn't much thought put into internal logic for anything, it wants to be a simple story for kids but at the same time is filled with inappropriate stuff where the characters just murder people and there's perverted sexual innuendo all over. The quest itself is pretty boring, and there seems to be a lot of padding where you're led on wild goose chases just to make the game feel longer.

Yup.

Although I like Edea and Ringabel's banter.

TheContact

Does the Thief have a better chance at stealing better items? Or do the enemies all have set items that you steal from no matter if you are Thief main or subjob? I mean, I'm sure the Thief has better odds of success with steal no matter what, but I just means in terms of the items themselves.

There's a pair of gloves called the thief gloves that increase steal rate

Mpl90

About characters (up to Chapter 3, since then...
the game decided I was not worth it, and the save file corrupted ;_;
): I like Edea and Ringabel (+ the Sage), I'm indifferent towards Tiz and I'm a little indisponent towards Agnes. She's a little unbearable, sometimes, I admit it.

2San

Tiz and agnes are boring, but they serve their purpose. Ringabell and Edea are very likeable. I especially like Ringabell, but he isn't anything groundbreaking either. As set I think they more than enough charm to drive to the story to completion.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As I move through, I can agree about the writing vs content thing. Why have it be so dark and then leave the way everyone carries themselves to be so much like a kids show where everyone is openly declaring their conflicting mission objectives to set up fights and shit? I mean, compare to other things with similar worlds, like FFT or Vagrant Story. The characters in those games were in similarly serious worlds, but they were inside of it like real people with complexities of both personality and roles. This is kind of like Voltron characters trying to play out Gundam scenarios.

Edit: To be more specific, even without more complex roles, the responses characters have to each other could be a lot more interesting. Evil psychopath? They just take a principled stand against them every time. No sass, despite there being so much room for sass. Similarly, when someone goes on being a total perv? Let's all do the childlike "omg~ -_-" response. I guess Persona is a good comparable example of how lighthearted characters in dark situations can work out in far more convincing and clever ways, although I think even Lunar did far better in traditional scenarios closer to this game.

Sums it up well.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Still better than final fantasy

duckroll

Still better than final fantasy

That's a pretty weird statement, given how Final Fantasy is a three decade old franchise with dozens of games spanning many different styles. There are some really outstanding titles in the series, and some real stinkers. BD is hardly an exceptional game which rises above JRPG greats.

FryHole

While you can make a case against the writing in those terms - internal logic, inconsistency in what audience they aim for, story structure - I must insist that while it is fair to consider the writing guff, it is never less than excellently written guff. Whoever did the translation knows how to turn a phrase, even if the phrase is being turned in the middle of a wild goose chase or ill-considered perv-a-thon. That is, the words as they appear on screen are very well chosen, like top of the range masonry that's been used to construct an outdoor toilet. Knock the building, not the bricks. And for myself, I quite liked the building, too.

demidar

That's a pretty weird statement, given how Final Fantasy is a three decade old franchise with dozens of games spanning many different styles. There are some really outstanding titles in the series, and some real stinkers. BD is hardly an exceptional game which rises above JRPG greats.

I just wanted a good class-based JRPG that isn't FF5.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

I wasn't talking about the old final fantasy games.

2San

Yeah it fits that role pretty well. I would probably still prefer a good remake of FFV instead, but it's pretty slim pickings these days. Lowered expectations I guess.
Only looking at pure combat mechanics and job systems. Is FFV better on that front? With my limited jrpg experience BD really feels like it is in a class off its own when it comes to job customization.

spiritfox

Yeah it fits that role pretty well. I would probably still prefer a good remake of FFV instead, but it's pretty slim pickings these days. Lowered expectations I guess.

I still annoyed I didn't pick up FFVA when I had the chance. I was hoping for a FFV DS akin to III and IV, but that never happened. And then we get the shitty iOS port.

Mrgrgr...

Only looking at pure combat mechanics and job systems. Is FFV better on that front? With my limited jrpg experience BD really feels like it is in a class off its own when it comes to job customization.

BD's job system is very similar to FFV's, except you get more support ability slots and more job levels in BD.

duckroll

FFV has a pretty basic job system, but it's also really old. A good remake would have to overhaul a lot of the systems and balance to make it more interesting. FFIV -> FFIV DS is pretty much night and day in terms of gameplay for example. Too bad S-E decided not to continue down that route for FFV and FFVI.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for reminding me, I just ordered FFVA on ebay

That's the best version, right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"*Hometown*, MI, United States 02/11/2014 6:43 A.M. Out For Delivery"

FINALLY, it was stuck way down in Kokomo,
Illinois,
all of yesterday, I feared it wasn't gonna arrive today. Though gonna be bummed if I get it while I'm gone at class. Still, glad to see GameStop is rather fast with their 5-10 day shipping, considering I ordered it Thursday & it shipped same day.

2San

BD's job system is very similar to FFV's, except you get more support ability slots and more job levels in BD.
FFV has a pretty basic job system, but it's also really old. A good remake would have to overhaul a lot of the systems and balance to make it more interesting. FFIV -> FFIV DS is pretty much night and day in terms of gameplay for example. Too bad S-E decided not to continue down that route for FFV and FFVI.
Thanks, FFV seems like something I would like.

I didn't know FFIV DS made major changes in the battles system. I only played the GBA version, but remakes of games I already played are pretty low on the list of the games I want to tackle.

S-E could have continued with the remakes with the IOS releases, but that market place doesn't seem to value quality.

magnetic

I love all four of them, mainly because I realized that I liked this game a lot better if I just skip through every single story bit and instead just see them as silent protagonists. Agnes got on my nerves so quickly and the story got predictable so early on that I haven´t looked back since. I mean, awakening crystals... it doesn´t get more generic than that.

I adore their designs, their fantastic job costumes and their charming animations (especially their "getting ready" poses when the battle starts). I couldn´t care less about what they´re actually saying. I think Etrian Odyssey permanently shaped my preferences in JRPGS (mechanics > atmosphere/style >>> story). To me, BD is basically "job system - the game".

I think the most fun I had with the story bits were the silly little party chats, and it´s a fantastic feature that you can just check them out later, whenever you want.

royox

I played with japanese dub and every time Agnès said her "Unacceptable" I smiled because of the way she says it.

People usually hates Agnès during chapter 2 because she becomes a bit b*tch.

I probably liked Agnes the most. At least she had an idea of what she was supposed to be doing and tried to stay focused.

Ringabel obviously carries on for the whole game, Tiz has the personality of a lump of wood that never really learned how to talk to people and Edea... well Edea was a major part of what must be the most evil bunch of people ever assembled in any game....but never realised it until they tried to hurt somebody she met five seconds before.

2San

I'd be interested to see the magnum opus stories and characters created by people who shit on BD's lol
I probably couldn't make a game like Superman 64 either, however that doesn't take away that's it's a piece of crap.

I liked the story in BD, but that's a terrible way to respond to criticism.

I've suspected it since chapter one, but the plot of this game is
totally going Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn on us right? Awakening the crystals is part of the villain's plot? The sketchy Fairy whose origin is never explained is tricking everyone?

wrowa

You obviously don't have to like what the story is trying to achieve, but this sounds like the point of the story went completely over your head so far. It's very much a story of Naotaka Hayashi and if you're familiar with his works, you should be able to see through much of the devices he's using for the story rather quickly. BD's story is playing homage to 16bit RPGs of old - and if you only take a superficial look at it that's all you see: A one-dimenionsal, by-the-numbers, black-and-white RPG story. However, throughout the game it always plays with expectations and reality. What you see is not always what you get and that's absolutely supposed to be that way. I don't want to enter spoiler territory, so I'm leaving it at that.

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Bravely Default's story. I think it certainly shows that stuff that works in a visual novel doesn't necessarily also need to work well in an RPG, but calling the writing or the logics awful is way too much. Especially since BD is one of the rare RPGs where the player is supposed to actually use his brain somewhat from the very beginning and come up with his own theories and assumptions for the stuff that's going on in the game. Even though a lot of people seem to completely miss that, since they fail to realize that D's Journal is a vital part of the early game's story and supposed to be read simultaneously to your playthrough.

Top Bottom