• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

BearPawB

Banned
I know this may not be the best place for this question. But does anyone have an opinion between Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei IV?

Got an itch for an RPG. I have only played the persona games which i know are only tangentially related. But i like the demon fusion aspects.

But i also usually really like job systems in RPGs.

Which one is longer? Is the grindy nature of BD as bad as I have heard?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know this may not be the best place for this question. But does anyone have an opinion between Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei IV?

Got an itch for an RPG. I have only played the persona games which i know are only tangentially related. But i like the demon fusion aspects.

Seeing how you can turn the battle speed up x4 and double the encounter rates the "grind" isn't that bad at all if you do go for it.

Kadin

So I just updated my data and one of the people on my friend's list has a max power of
46k.
That seems just a tad high to me. What's the highest you've seen?

Baliis

So I just updated my data and one of the people on my friend's list has a max power of
46k.
That seems just a tad high to me. What's the highest you've seen?

Someone posted this one to Reddit
in3qtUg.jpg

Astarte

I much prefer Bravely Default. I didn't really enjoy my time with SMTIV (namely the story....god dammit), but I'm having a blast with this game. I'm only on Chapter 4 on this game, I think I spent around 60 hours with it just tinkering with things. SMTIV took much longer because thanks fusions.
You don't need to grind in BD at all, just use your mind a bit.

I'm not warming up to the Japanese voices yet.
Tiz sounds like a tard and Agnes is super quiet. Edea is the best but the voices in this game sound super compressed.

Wish the next handheld could be all digital already so I could get a 128gb class 10 sd card and be done with all the compression.

BD is way more enjoyable imo. I'm biased because I always preferred FF to SMT, but it's how I honestly feel. BD isn't very grindy at all and the great options that you have (speed up battles, double encounter rate etc), makes it completely painless if you choose to do so. As for game lengths, I haven't beaten either game but either one will last you a long time (40+ hours)

What you guys think about the Japanese vs the American voices? What do you all prefer?

I prefer the english voices. The japanese ones are overall better acted I'd say, but the english voices work just fine for me. Only Agnes isn't very good, and some of the side characters are pretty weak as well. Edea and Ringabel's english voices are the standouts for me. In the end, I always prefer hearing a game in my own language as long as the dub is decent enough, which it is.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Refusing to grind leads to interesting boss battles! And that feel of never having moneys :(

JLeack

Banned
What classes should I avoid? I'm at a crossroad at the beginning of Chapter 2 where I need to make class decisions that will affect the rest of my experience.

Tohsaka

You didn't even try the English.

Thanks for telling me what I did and didn't do! You're forced to listen to the dub before they give you the option to switch to Japanese. I found Airy's voice really annoying. Also, the Japanese cast is full of high-profile seiyuu that I'm familiar with.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Thanks for telling me what I did and didn't do! You're forced to listen to the dub before they give you the option to switch to Japanese. I found Airy's voice really annoying. Also, the Japanese cast is full of high-profile seiyuu that I'm familiar with.
In other words, your opinion is heavily biased. Before you began the game, you were fixated on the Japanese. At least state that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Voice acting is good for Edea, Ringabel and most villains imo.

"Need a bit of love?" yes

Also, I prefer English because I like to know what the fuck is going on in my games

What you guys think about the Japanese vs the American voices? What do you all prefer?

Japanese VA's, no question about it.

I'd go with SMT4 but both games are fantastic.

Get Etrian Odyssey 4, better than both :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So even when dual-wielding with the ability from knight and hitting the weakness with magic, spell fencer is doing only half as much damage as a thief with an angel bow, who also doesn't spend 1BP adding magic to their weapon. So that is about where the knight hits while holding a shield, and without the ridiculously good HP, defense, and evade. Why are spell fencers so good, again?

Moonlight

Banned
You didn't even get to Edea or Ringabel, smh.

It's great that you recognize most of BD's cast of seiyuu, but I wouldn't say that's great criteria to use when telling someone which audio track to use.

HawthorneKitty

I don't see why you care so much. I said I preferred the Japanese cast. You yourself are biased towards dubs, as you've said in the past.
lolnope, your disdain of me must have clouded your perception as I always consume media I enjoy in both Japanese and English.

Tohsaka

You didn't even get to Edea or Ringabel, smh.

It's great that you recognize most of BD's cast of seiyuu, but I wouldn't say that's great criteria to use when telling someone which audio track to use.

You hear Edea and Ringabel's voices in the beginning movie, actually. Also, I didn't tell anyone to use the Japanese track. I just said that I preferred it when someone asked. I don't care if people like dubs, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

lolnope, your disdain of me must have clouded your perception as I always consume media I enjoy in both Japanese and English.

Umm, what? Disdain? You're the one who called me out randomly and insinuated that I didn't even listen to the dub, when you don't have a choice at the start. I prefer the original voice track when possible, but if the game was dub only I still would've played it like I will Conception II when that comes out here. I don't get why you're so hung up over my preferences when I've hardly ever even talked to you.

Seil

I originally had every intention of using Japanese voices when I saw that it was an option. I usually prefer Japanese over dubs as I find them often better acted. After listening to a few of the early scenes in both, however, I ended up going with English.

I vastly prefer Ringabel's dub and Edea's dub is nice as well. Airy is fairly annoying in both to me. Agnès' dub is pretty meh, though. Funny how my preferences of the English cast also lines up pretty well with my character preferences at this point as Ringabel and Edea are awesome and I find myself liking Agnès less and less as I progress. I'm only in chapter 3, though, so who knows how I'll feel in the end.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So even when dual-wielding with the ability from knight and hitting the weakness with magic, spell fencer is doing only half as much damage as a thief with an angel bow, who also doesn't spend 1BP adding magic to their weapon. So that is about where the knight hits while holding a shield, and without the ridiculously good HP, defense, and evade. Why are spell fencers so good, again?
Try having your thief sub spell fencer. You'll build up your bow special almost every other brave x4 turn.

My spell fencer was almost as strong as my thief with the second tier black magic weapon spells. I imagine their spells just keep getting better while thief keeps learning utility abilities. Just a guess, though.

So I put a Blood Shield (I think that's what its called) on Tiz who is currently a Knight right now and Woooooowww. Haha. The second crystal boss could only do 1 damage to him. Hah, his offence is terrible and everyone else needed to get rezzed a few times, but it was pretty funny having him take anything and everything thrown at him so easily.

Loving this game so far.

Chapter 2 spoilers:
The game has some really creep moments. The two sisters going crazy from the poisons they were spreading, the two young girls killing each other. The red mage dude giving chicks roofies and locking them in his basement. Totally unexpected.

HawthorneKitty

Umm, what? Disdain? You're the one who called me out randomly and insinuated that I didn't even listen to the dub, when you don't have a choice at the start. I prefer the original voice track when possible, but if the game was dub only I still would've played it like I will Conception II when that comes out here. I don't get why you're so hung up over my preferences when I've hardly ever even talked to you.
Oh, so you just give shallow answers to a much asked question of opinion around here. I'm not asking for an essay nor are you obliged to give a fruitful answer. If listening means just a few short lines to you, oh well. I'm just picking at the grains of salt for those that are deciding their language options.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Chapter 2 spoilers:
The game has some really creep moments. The two sisters going crazy from the poisons they were spreading, the two young girls killing each other. The red mage dude giving chicks roofies and locking them in his basement. Totally unexpected.
I loved the two sisters. Red mage dude's creep factor was a bit over the line for me, but I can appreciate it.

Tohsaka

Oh, so you just give shallow answers to a much asked question of opinion around here. I'm not asking for an essay nor are you obliged to give a fruitful answer. If listening means just a few short lines to you, oh well. I'm just picking at the grains of salt for those that are deciding their language options.

I just said that I preferred the Japanese track, that's what was asked. I didn't say "Stay away from the dub, it's really terrible!". People should listen to both and pick whichever they like better, that's why dual audio is a good thing. I'm not going to tell people they shouldn't listen to the dub if they prefer it, or anything.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Try having your thief sub spell fencer. You'll build up your bow special almost every other brave x4 turn.

My spell fencer was almost as strong as my thief with the second tier black magic weapon spells. I imagine their spells just keep getting better while thief keeps learning utility abilities. Just a guess, though.
I suppose that is true. Spell fencer will be better with better spells... Also, I was kind of messing things up. I was supposed to use two hands on one weapon, not dual-wield. Things are a bit better this way, doing 3/4 what thief does using level 1 spells. However, holy shit yes subbing sword magic and putting that on the bow makes it do another 30% more damage.

Seil

I suppose that is true. Spell fencer will be better with better spells... Also, I was kind of messing things up. I was supposed to use two hands on one weapon, not dual-wield. Things are a bit better this way, doing 3/4 what thief does using level 1 spells. However, holy shit yes subbing sword magic and putting that on the bow makes it do another 30% more damage.

Spell Fencer also makes it easier to set up the bow special. Especially when not a Ranger. And combining the two is pretty crazy with the elemental + family weakness abuse.

I had Edea as a Spell Fencer with Knight as a secondary for quite some time, though. Elemental stomps are pretty awesome and Spell Fencer isn't as slow as Knight is(which was hugely annoying to me. Edea often moved very last as a Knight, even behind many enemies, despite being a key damage dealer. Couldn't stand that.)

Baliis

These
dragons
for the
vampire
subquest are the first thing in the game to give me a real challenge geez.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Man, (a chapter 3 boss spoiler)
Qada was a giant pain in the ass. Probably could've gone smoother if I had had dispel :p Oh well. Thankfully I had Edea as a Valkyrie with bp skill amp, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get through.

Top Bottom