• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

JLeack

Banned
Tiz and agnes are boring, but they serve their purpose. Ringabell and Edea are very likeable. I especially like Ringabell, but he isn't anything groundbreaking either. As set I think they more than enough charm to drive to the story to completion.

Agreed. I don't care for the dialog most pd the time, and can't stand Agnes, but Ringabel and Edea are highlights.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Aye, the social aspect is truly something else in this game. It's a single player RPG, but I never walk alone on my adventure, all the people encountered on the street and online helped out in my adventure here.

Eh. Don't really care much for the social elements. Flipping a switch to add free job levels to my party from some random streepass players through ABlink feels a bit cheap, and I haven't yet felt the need to summon anyone in combat.

Loving the pure experience of building my own team and pushing through, though I can sort of understand the appeal if real friends were involved as helpers. I still think Dragon's Dogma handled it in a more novel manner. If anything, I can mostly ignore all this stuff until maybe a truly devastating optional boss 70 hours in may demand the added bonuses of the social aspects.

I actually stopped using the Abilink or whatever it's called. It gives you access to abilities you really shouldn't have yet, so... I feel less compelled to keep leveling those jobs when I can just link with a friend and get access to everything. It's good for people who don't like to grind or level other jobs, though.

I actually stopped using the Abilink or whatever it's called. It gives you access to abilities you really shouldn't have yet, so... I feel less compelled to keep leveling those jobs when I can just link with a friend and get access to everything. It's good for people who don't like to grind or level other jobs, though.

I'm starting to feel the same way about this. I can a link someone far ahead and just have everything - there's no point to level the job then except for stats.

Eh. Don't really care much for the social elements. Flipping a switch to add free job levels to my party from some random streepass players through ABlink feels a bit cheap, and I haven't yet felt the need to summon anyone in combat.

Loving the pure experience of building my own team and pushing through, though I can sort of understand the appeal if real friends were involved as helpers. I still think Dragon's Dogma handled it in a more novel manner. If anything, I can mostly ignore all this stuff until maybe a truly devastating optional boss 70 hours in may demand the added bonuses of the social aspects.

The social elements mostly feel like cheats.

watershed

Banned
I don't mean to repeat myself but Agnes is making the dialogue scenes really, really hard to watch. I am enjoying the story so I don't want to skip these parts but every time she speaks I want to reach thru the 3ds screen with my stylus and flick her over a cliff somewhere. Not only is her VA bad, but she says the dumbest shit.

georly

Yup, I quit using all that stuff. Maybe if i were playing on hard, i'd use it, but otherwise, i like earning my abilities. If it's a way to make sure beginner players actually complete the game, it's a nice feature to have. This game does so so so many things to keep people playing and finish the game it's ridiculous. Everything from being able to toggle random battles, aid in grinding, to the intro where the fairy specifically asks you to keep playing, and then, of course, all the stuff you get for keeping your game in sleep mode (and therefore not playing another game). It's like it's a phone game that wants you to keep playing, but it's a JRPG. The combination of the two works REALLY well as incentive to keep people playing.

demidar

This may be a bit late, but if you're about to kill a boss and one of your party members has just fallen, you can activate Bravely Second (press Start) to revive them before the killing blow. Lucky I thought that up before killing the Water Crystal boss.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This may be a bit late, but if you're about to kill a boss and one of your party members has just fallen, you can activate Bravely Second (press Start) to revive them before the killing blow. Lucky I thought that up before killing the Water Crystal boss.
Great idea.

Im gonna play this game full on hardcore

Hard mode, no encounter slider, no friend summons etc..

I want to push the underlying mechanics and strategic options to the limit. See if they hold up for the toughest challenges.

Sounds like a few players on here already overcame some tough fights with clever setups. I feed off that stuff

SeZMehK

when does the net-invite reset? I haven't been able to get it working all day, keeps saying I already did it today?

I think it is 24 hours after a net invite, not the 3ds clock. For example, if you did the net invite at 9:00 am, you can't net invite until 9:00 am the next day.

Dice

Midnight. You could do it 11:59pm and 0:01am, then you'd have to wait 24h again.
Midnight where? Not where I live, I have very carefully tested it. I think it's in Japan because it only works in the morning.

I think it is 24 hours after a net invite, not the 3ds clock. For example, if you did the net invite at 9:00 am, you can't net invite until 9:00 am the next day.
This is also possible.

I don't mean to repeat myself but Agnes is making the dialogue scenes really, really hard to watch. I am enjoying the story so I don't want to skip these parts but every time she speaks I want to reach thru the 3ds screen with my stylus and flick her over a cliff somewhere. Not only is her VA bad, but she says the dumbest shit.

If anything you could start playing with JP VA. I've been doing so since the start and it's been fine so far.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea the fate of the world always tends to rely on the most naive and imbecilic protagonists in jRPG's. Always distressing to deal with, so many past examples with a similar trope. Then again the motivations behind the 'empire' are equally insipid too, but at least the game is solid. I do find myself starting to reach for the skip button in story scenes, thankfully the game is kind enough to always guide me to destinations so I need not pay much attention to the banter.

SeZMehK

I got this game since launch and I am still in the intro chapter. I am enjoying it quite a bit. I think I am a bit over leveled since I have the encounter rate to 100%. Lol.

I got this game since launch and I am still in the intro chapter. I am enjoying it quite a bit. I think I am a bit over leveled since I have the encounter rate to 100%. Lol.

I don't think I could do that... getting into a RE every 3 steps. Would break the pace of the game for me.

Im gonna play this game full on hardcore

Hard mode, no encounter slider, no friend summons etc..

I want to push the underlying mechanics and strategic options to the limit. See if they hold up for the toughest challenges.

Sounds like a few players on here already overcame some tough fights with clever setups. I feed off that stuff

real hardcore is hard mode, random encounters off, no friend summons/abilink/etc.

Fehyd

Banned
Game is selling well from what I can see at local stores. Unfortunately it's sold out in most places as well since most area stores got at - most 4 copies of the regular edition and 2 of the specials. The limited editions look to really be limited and no real news on if they'll be restocked.

Dice

Having just reached Florem last night, but not progressing the story yet, I just bought 4 reflect rings.

Bitches (bosses, not town residents, lol) best not be trying to use magic on me, heh heh heh.

demidar

Midnight where? Not where I live, I have very carefully tested it. I think it's in Japan because it only works in the morning.

I would say it's tied to the 3DS's time setting because mine refreshes at midnight, but then I remembered Australia has the same time zone as Japan so *shrug*.

Having just reached Florem last night, but not progressing the story yet, I just bought 4 reflect rings.

Rock them
before you follow any men in red too deep...
Bitches (bosses, not town residents, lol) best not be trying to use magic on me, heh heh heh.

How do you switch the VA to JP? Don't see it in the options.

It's under the option at the bottom left on the menu (maybe "Tactics" in English)

Dice

The game decided I'm a loser who needs a Friend-Bot. Maybe I should add some of you.

2680-9461-2740 Add me~, Message me to let me know if you did, this thread moves so goddamn fast.

I Still haven't beaten a Beelzebub yet, Im level 23, last time I tried fighting one, I only healed him (lolwater element)

Zing

Banned
How often does everyone summon friends in battle?

I try to hold them for boss fights.
Never. It feels like cheating. I'd rather use a Bravely Second, which I did for the first time last night. I had two back-to-back boss battles, and I forgot to rest or save in-between. I used two SP near the start of battle to use hi potions.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Game is selling well from what I can see at local stores. Unfortunately it's sold out in most places as well since most area stores got at - most 4 copies of the regular edition and 2 of the specials. The limited editions look to really be limited and no real news on if they'll be restocked.

Even more limited are the limited editions that arent damaged. They are the limited limited edition! FUCK YOU SHIPPING COMPANIES!! :(

yaesir

Looking for more people to add, please quote or pm me:

0576-5019-6301

2680-9461-2740 Add me~, Message me to let me know if you did, this thread moves so goddamn fast.

I Still haven't beaten a Beelzebub yet, Im level 23, last time I tried fighting one, I only healed him (lolwater element)

added you!

MyvTeddy

Neo Member
Whoever Teddy is, we've been leveling side by side, and he's been leveling all the jobs I'm not. It's working out well.

8mS3NbC.jpg

Why helloooo~

Aside from Agnes, I haven't really found a problem with the English VA.

to be quite honest, I really like the english VA. Yes, I'm no stranger to terrible dub.

Busaiku

Hurray, I'm mastering Job Classes!
Though at this rate, I'll have everything mastered before Chapter 5...

Not sure how much more of the story there is left, but I have a feeling that that's pretty regardless.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I agree. I don't need it and I want to be "surprised" by seeing what skills are out there.

I'm finding that I'm balancing the game myself by playing on Hard. That sort of offsets the awesome equipment you get from Town building. Also, I'm trying not to mess with the encounter rate, if I actually need to leave a dungeon I'll just use a Teleport Stone and exit outside to save. I'm also not using Summons.

By giving myself some level of challenge I'll enjoy the game more, I think. I'm also itching to get back to playing Etrian Oddssey 4, which I never finished. That game had near perfect difficulty balance, but I never could get into the first person battles. I love seeing all the costume changes and the music in this game.

Wow, cool, thanks. I'll PM you mine when i get home. I have seemingly spent more time caring about norende than the game itself ha.

Yeah no kidding, I'm in Chapter 1 and have every shop to Lv 6. I think that's pretty good. I've pretty much kept the game running in sleep mode since I bought it on Friday, all night and through the day at work.

duckroll

Holy crap, mind blown. How much better is JP than NA? It hasnt been TOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad yet, but still.

I like the English voices better than the Japanese voices. But that might also be affected by how I feel the localization has improved the script substantially. The dialogue is still pretty awful I think, but it's not as offensively cliche, and the dreadful sexual innuendos are toned down. If you don't understand Japanese at all and just like the "sound" of their voices your mileage might vary. P

JoeFu

Banned
I'm playing with JP voices just because of Edea's voice :D Mio from Nichijou :D :D :D

From what little I heard of the EN voices it didn't seem bad at all.

Honestly, the JP VA is not better than the English most of the time, in my opinion.

Well the problem with English one imo is it sounds more compressed. Also, I kinda have a slight preference for Ringabel's japanese voice, even though his english one is still good.

Top Bottom