• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

MyvTeddy

Neo Member
I like the English voices better than the Japanese voices. But that might also be affected by how I feel the localization has improved the script substantially. The dialogue is still pretty awful I think, but it's not as offensively cliche, and the dreadful sexual innuendos are toned down. If you don't understand Japanese at all and just like the "sound" of their voices your mileage might vary. P

In a particular scene in florem:

The line where Ringabell says "Its settled. We're going sexy!" for Agnes's costume, the English VA nailed it. I tried listening to the Japanese VA and maybe its because I don't speak Japanese but it just wasn't doing me justice.

georly

I like the English voices better than the Japanese voices. But that might also be affected by how I feel the localization has improved the script substantially. The dialogue is still pretty awful I think, but it's not as offensively cliche, and the dreadful sexual innuendos are toned down. If you don't understand Japanese at all and just like the "sound" of their voices your mileage might vary. P

Honestly, the JP VA is not better than the English most of the time, in my opinion.

Fair enough. Do the subtitles change to reflect what is being said in japanese (original japanese script) or do we get the english script in subtitles with the japanese VA of the japanese script?

Ricker

I don't mean to repeat myself but Agnes is making the dialogue scenes really, really hard to watch. I am enjoying the story so I don't want to skip these parts but every time she speaks I want to reach thru the 3ds screen with my stylus and flick her over a cliff somewhere. Not only is her VA bad, but she says the dumbest shit.

Unacceptable... ;) I like her voice acting,fits the character really well I think,I have heard way worst in JRPG's in the last few years(Star Ocean,Arc Rise Fantasia)

I greatly prefer the Japanese voices to the English ones, but it can be distracting at times when the script doesn't match the dialogue, which is most of the time, due to the translation/localization (which is fantastic by the way). I particularly dislike Agnes and Airy in the English version. Some of the actors aren't bad, but some of them are just grating and cringe inducing to me.

I can speak and understand a fair amount of Japanese, but I am by no means fluent. Not even close. I wouldn't be able to identify the nuances in order to distinguish bad Japanese voice acting from good voice acting. It's easier with live action pieces due to body language, but indistinguishable to me for the most part when purely voices are involved. Ignorance is bliss, I guess, but on the other hand, there is definitely something to be said about honoring the original source material.

I greatly prefer the Japanese voices to the English ones, but it can be distracting at times when the script doesn't match the dialogue, which is most of the time, due to the translation/localization (which is fantastic by the way). I particularly dislike Agnes and Airy in the English version. Some of the actors aren't bad, but some of them are just grating and cringe inducing to me.

I can speak and understand a fair amount of Japanese, but I am by no means fluent. Not even close. I wouldn't be able to identify the nuances in order to distinguish bad Japanese voice acting from good voice acting. It's easier with live action pieces due to body language, but indistinguishable to me for the most part when purely voices are involved. Ignorance is bliss, I guess, but on the other hand, there is definitely something to be said about honoring the original source material.

Often, with Japanese VA it's not that they're bad necessarily, but since you get the same actors from a relatively small pool very often, you tend to associate other characters that they've done with the voice you hear. There aren't a whole lot who are bad by Japanese VA standards because that world is really competitive and harsh in the first place.

That said, it would have been nice to have some Miki Soichiro in there somewhere

macklelol

Got to Chapter 6...
Things are starting to get more interesting, but I seriously have to do this shit AGAIN?! WHAT THE HELL.

I'm guessing I'll have to do it again a few times after this, too, with the way the story is progressing.

Also, abusing High Jump is pretty strong, pretty much only two bosses in all of Chapter 5 gave me any trouble.

Proven

Are they skippable?

This is a modern RPG right?

Responding to this late, but my issue is just what Duckroll mentioned pages before; there's more quantity than quality in a couple of scenes so they just drag on for a little too long.

I'm also one of the few that likes the english VA for all the characters. Agnes' actor helps her feel a bit more unique, pulls off the "Unacceptable!" well, and like all the actors in the game manages to match the relatively slow text speed without it feeling unnatural at times. So the quality of the acting compels me to sit through everything, even when the script bugs me. And the localization is so good that even though I barely understand any Japanese (from watching too much anime... I really should visit the GAF thread more often) I can understand enough from a couple words and tone that there's headache causing dissonance from certain characters with the JPN voices on. The White Mage at the beginning was a big example.

gar3

Hi all,

I have a general 3DS question that directly relates to me playing and enjoying Bravely Default. With myself, my wife, and four children we have quite a few handhelds and currently have four in the 3DS family. Since I started a game of Bravely Default on my 3DS XL already, can I pop it into my son's 2DS or one of my daughter's 3DS systems without any craziness happening? I wasn't too sure whether this game marries itself to the original handheld it was played on or not? Also, would I be alright to do this with other games like Pokemon X or Y? I ask because while I like the 3DS XL I'm growing quite fond of the 2DS the more and more I use it. Just wanted to an answer squared away before I try and then lose all my Bravely Default data, heh.

bumpkin

Okay, throwing out a potentially dumb question here... I've accrued 3 "Sleep Points" by having the game running in sleep mode. What do I do with them? I can't seem to figure out how to actually spend/use them.

KarmaCow

Anyone else get a reproducible crash when the Time Mage's passive Time Slip ability activates when you wipe against at Nemesis in the streetpass town? I'm not sure what the exact trigger is but about 30 seconds after the battle restarts, the game freezes, crashes and a 3DS error message pops up saying the game encountered an error and the system must restart. Maybe it occurs for any fight but I've only had the ability in Nemesis fights and it seems to happen every time.

Hi all,

I have a general 3DS question that directly relates to me playing and enjoying Bravely Default. With myself, my wife, and four children we have quite a few handhelds and currently have four in the 3DS family. Since I started a game of Bravely Default on my 3DS XL already, can I pop it into my son's 2DS or one of my daughter's 3DS systems without any craziness happening? I wasn't too sure whether this game marries itself to the original handheld it was played on or not? Also, would I be alright to do this with other games like Pokemon X or Y? I ask because while I like the 3DS XL I'm growing quite fond of the 2DS the more and more I use it. Just wanted to an answer squared away before I try and then lose all my Bravely Default data, heh.

You can put any 3DS game card in any 3DS without anything weird happening.

It won't get you extra save files though, if that's what you're thinking. The games data is saved directly on the cards, not the 3DS.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Anyone else get a reproducible crash when the Time Mage's passive Time Slip ability activates when you wipe against at Nemesis in the streetpass town? I'm not sure what exact trigger is but about 30 seconds after the battle restarts, the game freezes, crashes and a 3DS error message pops up saying the game encountered an error and the system must restart. Maybe it occurs for any fight but I've only had the ability in Nemesis fights and it seems to happen every time.
Time Slip didn't crash me against in-game mobs.

fates

Holy crap I actually got a CE.

Like everyone else, the box is a little worse for wear, the side is smashed. I really don't care though since everything inside is OK.

It's funny though because Toukiden came in today too... in a relatively huge box, covered with layers of balled up brown paper. The little Vita game came in that, and the big BD box came in an envelope with no packing. wat

Like everyone else, the box is a little worse for wear, the side is smashed. I really don't care though since everything inside is OK.

It's funny though because Toukiden came in today too... in a relatively huge box, covered with layers of balled up brown paper. The little Vita game came in that, and the big BD box came in an envelope with no packing. wat

complain to Amazon, you should be able to get some sort of compensation/refund. One guy here was able to get $40 back

Tell Amazon.. at the least you will get $10 back, if not more. My box was not smashed at all on the outside but had a little damage on the corners inside and they gave me $10 back. I could have probably pushed for more but I feel like $10 off is about right for the damage I had.

Matchew

Just got mine from amazon the box is okay just a little bend on the spine of the box. Didn't realize just how big the collectors edition is, this thing is huge!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So how do job level bonuses work? Because I switched Anges to thief so I could train others in black mage and between lvl1 to lvl6 her damage output has doubled.

2San

Anyone else get a reproducible crash when the Time Mage's passive Time Slip ability activates when you wipe against at Nemesis in the streetpass town? I'm not sure what the exact trigger is but about 30 seconds after the battle restarts, the game freezes, crashes and a 3DS error message pops up saying the game encountered an error and the system must restart. Maybe it occurs for any fight but I've only had the ability in Nemesis fights and it seems to happen every time.
That never happened to me, but I only used time slip like twice. It wasn't on a Nemesis. The Dark Knights' Rage skill made my game crash 3 times and that where the only time where I had the game crash. I use that skill a lot more though.

I just got my email confirmation today staing it will arrive on Feb 20 or before. Da fuck!!!

I ordered these two games (BD and TR) on the 7th of Feb and said it will arrive between the 12th and 17th of Feb. That's 3 days over and dying to get my hands on it while everyone here is soooo ahead in the game.

i need to stay out of this board or i'm going nuts seeing you guys raving how great this game is. lol...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
In a particular scene in florem:

The line where Ringabell says "Its settled. We're going sexy!" for Agnes's costume, the English VA nailed it. I tried listening to the Japanese VA and maybe its because I don't speak Japanese but it just wasn't doing me justice.
Best character ever confirmed

Kaizer

Banned
Anyone else having a slightly difficult time with bosses? I've barely just started but it took me about 5 times before I could beat Ominas in that first dungeon. Feel like I haven't gotten a good balance on the Brave/Default thing yet.

Nags

Banned
Everyone's did. I haven't emailed them about it, not sure what the point is. If they replace, i'ts just with another damaged box.

I just got called them and talked to support. They can't replace it obviously since it is sold out but I did manage to get a 20% discount.

Just insist that they compensate you in some way and don't let up. The more people complaining about it, the better. It came in a flimsy cardboard packaging with no bubble wrap. All packaging is handled by Amazon so they are just as much at fault as the delivery service is. This could have been easily prevented with some shock dampening material, but nope. They are being fucking cheap and lazy.

yami4ct

Ended up giving in and downloading this on release day. Just got to Florem and am adoring every second of it. Quick question, though, what's a good time to be adjusting your party classes? Currently, I'm running a White Mage, Black Mage, Spell Fencer and Knight. I love this party combo, but I would also love to have a Time Mage, Thief or Summoner. At what point should I be switching into a new class? Is it worth it to run a class until I max it or is it find to "waste" JP by switching around? JP gain outside of battles has been really slow so far, so I've been sticking to what I've picked.

As for Amazon damaging boxes, I'm afraid that seems to happen quite often with handheld collector's editions. One tip I'd have for any of you with that issue is to order something else that will ship at the same time. It's not really important what you order, but you'll likely force them to put both things in a box instead of just an envelope. There's still some risk that your things will ship out of separate warehouses, but so far I've had really good luck with that tactic.

Top Bottom