• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I just got called them and talked to support. They can't replace it obviously since it is sold out but I did manage to get a 20% discount.

Just insist that they compensate you in some way and don't let up. The more people complaining about it, the better. It came in a flimsy cardboard packaging with no bubble wrap. All packaging is handled by Amazon so they are just as much at fault as the delivery service is. This could have been easily prevented with some shock dampening material, but nope. They are being fucking cheap and lazy.

Thanks, I'll send them a note.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ended up giving in and downloading this on release day. Just got to Florem and am adoring every second of it. Quick question, though, what's a good time to be adjusting your party classes? Currently, I'm running a White Mage, Black Mage, Spell Fencer and Knight. I love this party combo, but I would also love to have a Time Mage, Thief or Summoner. At what point should I be switching into a new class? Is it worth it to run a class until I max it or is it find to "waste" JP by switching around? JP gain outside of battles has been really slow so far, so I've been sticking to what I've picked.

As for Amazon damaging boxes, I'm afraid that seems to happen quite often with handheld collector's editions. One tip I'd have for any of you with that issue is to order something else that will ship at the same time. It's not really important what you order, but you'll likely force them to put both things in a box instead of just an envelope. There's still some risk that your things will ship out of separate warehouses, but so far I've had really good luck with that tactic.

If you want you can increase encounter rate and turn of XP gain and just grind for JP to bring those Jobs you've neglected up. I've generally reshuffl all my jobs once I get a new one so everyone does a little bit of everything, though I've also done a lot of grinding, but it's a good way to make sure everyone is capable with at least a few things and has a range of abilities to assign.

Just got my CE from Amazon and it's pretty banged up. Are people getting anything from Amazon for complaining?

Yep got 30 dollars credit for it being smashed real bad and an extra 10 for it being late as I'm a Prime customer due to the release day snafu.

Definitely contact them.

Also as I finally have my game, I still need more BD Friends - 0619-4526-7626

Send me a PM or reply here if you add me.

georly

Yep got 30 dollars credit for it being smashed real bad and an extra 10 for it being late as I'm a Prime customer due to the release day snafu.

Definitely contact them.

Oh man, I'd take a cheap banged up collector's over a normal copy. Wish I had ordered off amazon. I decided to buy this game literally 20 minutes before release midnight on eshop.

Seda

Finally getting back into this, just did a few sidequests in chapter two for jobs, think I'll get a bit further before I spend some time getting some levels in those.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow hit my first roadblock. Chapter 1 boss
Dragon in Vestment cave. Got him down halfway and my healer gets taken out each round in 1-hit. Revive->Dead before she can even pull off any party heals. First party wipe in the game :/

Dragon in Vestment cave. Got him down halfway and my healer gets taken out each round in 1-hit. Revive->Dead before she can even pull off any party heals. First party wipe in the game :/

I used a couple of big Friend Summons to get me out of this one. I could have grinded it out but the fight was taking too long.

yami4ct

If you want you can increase encounter rate and turn of XP gain and just grind for JP to bring those Jobs you've neglected up. I've generally reshuffl all my jobs once I get a new one so everyone does a little bit of everything, though I've also done a lot of grinding, but it's a good way to make sure everyone is capable with at least a few things and has a range of abilities to assign.

That's not a bad plan. Just kind of sucks that JP growth is so damn slow. I'll probably grab a summoner and time mage to sub onto my white and black mages and throw a thief onto my spell fencer or something. Really have zero interest in running merchant, though. That class seems boring.

That boss is an absolute beast the first time through. I was surprised given how easy I beat him in the demo. His sweep attacks and low-hp targeting can really hurt if you aren't ready for them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's not a bad plan. Just kind of sucks that JP growth is so damn slow. I'll probably grab a summoner and time mage to sub onto my white and black mages and throw a thief onto my spell fencer or something. Really have zero interest in running merchant, though. That class seems boring.

There's a few places, especially near Florem that provide a good 20+ average for JP each fight. So if you set it up your party right, ie one character with an Angel Bow pretty much, and can just auto battle every time and set the fight speed to max you'll be able to gain levels pretty fast.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Definitely contact them.

For whatever reason, they credited my account the entire purchase price of $55. I thought this meant that I had to return the game, but apparently not. Not what I had in mind, Amazon. But can't complain.

Oh man, I'd take a cheap banged up collector's over a normal copy. Wish I had ordered off amazon. I decided to buy this game literally 20 minutes before release midnight on eshop.

I lucked out, but I still would have rather had a Pristine CE and the game actually day 1!

Are you enjoying it so far

oh, and nice avatar :)

For whatever reason, they credited my account the entire purchase price of $55. I thought this meant that I had to return the game, but apparently not. Not what I had in mind, Amazon. But can't complain.

Very nice! I'm happy with what I received. It seems to be all over the place the compensation others are receiving for their smashed CEs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm stuck there too.

Upgrade your gear at the
fox, at the tree house
, and make good use of default. Max default, then use Brave. Don't use Brave without getting a bunch of Defaults in first, otherwise
the dragon
will wreck you. If you have a knight, make sure he has white magic. A knight can take the hits easily and heal everyone up while they get ready to attack.

Man, these side quests to release jobs can be really time consuming. I'm just finishing the one to unlock
Thief and Salesman
and still need to figure out how to get back into the real quest LOL

I'm having a weird problem playing this game. I think the street pass features are killing my motivation.

Both my roommate and I both downloaded the demo. Prior to release, I street passed him 22 times. Since I got the game, I've continued to street pass him. I also get the online streetpasses.

I now have like 40 street passes. I can build stuff in Norende VERY quickly. However, while I play I keep checking progress on the town because I want to see how close I am to finishing the current building.

I have been spreading out my people all over the town. I can't concentrate on the game while people are building stuff, so I just have them work in sleep mode.

When they are finished building, I have them immediately move on to their next project. I'll keep playing for like 5 minutes after that, then obsessively start checking the town again, then bam. Sleep mode.

I'm still only in the intro, and yet I'm level 7 or 8 on nearly everything in the town

Jealous! I hope I can get something close to that. My rep set me up to wait a week and see if they get more stock to exchange for my Crushed Edition. I doubt Amazon will be getting any more directly, though there are a bunch of scalper copies on the site.

But it was either that, or get 15% discount ($7? -_-). I figure I can wait a week, then ask for more compensation when they can't find another copy. Kinda ridiculous, but eh... It won't stop me from ordering from Amazon. (I probably won't be getting any CE's from them, though.)

Kadin

I'm having a weird problem playing this game. I think the street pass features are killing my motivation.

Both my roommate and I both downloaded the demo. Prior to release, I street passed him 22 times. Since I got the game, I've continued to street pass him. I also get the online streetpasses.

I now have like 40 street passes. I can build stuff in Norende VERY quickly. However, while I play I keep checking progress on the town because I want to see how close I am to finishing the current building.

I have been spreading out my people all over the town. I can't concentrate on the game while people are building stuff, so I just have them work in sleep mode.

When they are finished building, I have them immediately move on to their next project. I'll keep playing for like 5 minutes after that, then obsessively start checking the town again, then bam. Sleep mode.

I'm still only in the intro, and yet I'm level 7 or 8 on nearly everything in the town
Why can't you just play the game while they work on the Village? No need to keep putting the game into sleep mode, you can play and they'll continue to work away. Or is it the fact that you feel the need to keep checking in?

And keep in mind, the more you upgrade the village shop, the more you'll be tempted to use some of the very OP weapons, etc. I found this pretty early on and now I'm holding off buying too much, too soon. The game already has so many options to make things easy, I don't need overpowered weapons and armor to go along with it. But that's just me.

Yeah, I keep feeling the need to check in.

Certain things like this really stop me from progressing in games. Like in FF8, I HAD to play the card game with every single NPC.

Nags

Banned

Oh nice!
I bet they are getting a lot of complaints at the moment.

Kadin

Yeah, I keep feeling the need to check in.

Certain things like this really stop me from progressing in games. Like in FF8, I HAD to play the card game with every single NPC.
Gotcha. All I can say is that the Village will do just fine if you just let it stay as it is for a while. The Nemeses won't do any harm to them and they won't starve or abandon ship... :p

But yeah, I know what you mean. I get the urge to do it a bit too much myself from time to time.

daveo42

Banned
Why can't you just play the game while they work on the Village? No need to keep putting the game into sleep mode, you can play and they'll continue to work away. Or is it the fact that you feel the need to keep checking in?

And keep in mind, the more you upgrade the village shop, the more you'll be tempted to use some of the very OP weapons, etc. I found this pretty early on and now I'm holding off buying too much, too soon. The game already has so many options to make things easy, I don't need overpowered weapons and armor to go along with it. But that's just me.

I've been buying up the armor as I can afford it at least for the magic users in my group to beef up their physical def. The late chapter 1 boss wasn't that bad, but I had some pretty bad issues at the end of the first sub-mission
the thieves in the grind house hit damn hard...Eye gouge one-shot a few of my chars and took my knight down by half in one hit.

I think I'm finally able to progress on to the next chapter here. So far so good.

Someone posted this one to Reddit
in3qtUg.jpg

That's insane. Seems like monk ends up being a complete beast end game. I wonder if he'd got ninja paired with it for maximum damage output.

neoism

I know it has to do with Bravely Second because that's the only way to break the 9999 barrier but how people actually do more than one attack to achieve this, I'm clueless on myself. Did you see the other one in here that was like 265k? Apparently the max is

yeah thats insane :O

Kadin

The late chapter 1 boss wasn't that bad, but I had some pretty bad issues at the end of the first sub-mission
the thieves in the grind house hit damn hard...Eye gouge one-shot a few of my chars and took my knight down by half in one hit.
Yeah when I got there, I got hit pretty hard too. It was a good eye opener because up to that point, it was all pretty easy. Then when I left, it's as though it scaled back down. That part definitely was out of the norm for me.

Kadin

how??????
I know it has to do with Bravely Second because that's the only way to break the 9999 barrier but how people actually do more than one attack to achieve this, I'm clueless on myself. Did you see the other one in here that was like 265k? Apparently the max is

edit - Ugh, dbl post. Hate that, post more guys! lol

neoism

Uh...lol

I'll admit BD has it's faults (I blast through cutscenes too) but I'm still enjoying the overall package.

My favorite stories in recent (or not so recent) years are FFX and P4.

FFXII would be up there too if not for Vaan

lol its funny I just started ff14 for the first time and its my first mmo since RO <3 but I've skipped most of the cut scenes in ff 14 and really listened and read everything in BD I read all the party chats... I started reading ff 14s though. I played it every day for the first 13 days of my sub..put over 130 hour in, shame its really just quest quest quest... etc. But I loove the bard. I just lost it once this came out lol :p
BD<3

macklelol

The next issue would be that with all the shops unlocked, it will flash every 5 minutes or so just for free item deliveries.

I dunno about that, all my shops are around the same level or higher, and I certainly don't get items every 5 minutes. It's more like 15+ minutes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
First sidequest boss that didn't give me a hard time at all was surprisingly:
Kamiizumi
what a pushover :p

daveo42

Banned
Yeah when I got there, I got hit pretty hard too. It was a good eye opener because up to that point, it was all pretty easy. Then when I left, it's as though it scaled back down. That part definitely was out of the norm for me.

Well, tbh the normal attacks aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting, but their ability attacks were devastating. The other odd thing was that the time mage and sword mage weren't all that bad at all. Other than that and the confuse butterflies you run into getting the rainbow thread, most of the mobs have been fairly manageable.

What is the max rank anyway for the shops in town. Level 10?

In a particular scene in florem:

The line where Ringabell says "Its settled. We're going sexy!" for Agnes's costume, the English VA nailed it. I tried listening to the Japanese VA and maybe its because I don't speak Japanese but it just wasn't doing me justice.

lol, I just saw this scene. His delivery was perfect. xD

If anybody wants big damage, just give me a shout (*cough* PM and FC).

I haven't gotten to
damage yet, but I'm close.

EDIT

Loved a lot of Ringabel and Edea's lines.

Just finished chapter 1

Anyway I'm still not happy with the combat system because of the lack of OP combos I can make with my current classes.

Better get moving then.

Top Bottom