• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brit-Gaf: [Threads should be SFW and inviting.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
North of the river is where it's at. Apart from Greenwich, South of the river sucks ass, unfortunately I have friends in South East London so I have to go there occasionally, I am trying to persuade them all to move North. So far a few of them have, yippee!

Musha_Soturi said:
North of the river is where it's at. Apart from Greenwich, South of the river sucks ass, unfortunately I have friends in South East London so I have to go there occasionally, I am trying to persuade them all to move North. So far a few of them have, yippee!

My gf used to live South, like many non Londoners when they first move to London. She used to insist that it was much better than North but after we moved in North of the river she finally saw the light and admitted the North's superiority. So much so, in fact, that when we split for a year or so she stayed North.

Victory!

Brixtons nice or atleast Brixton hill and the area around the tube station god knows about the rest of it.. Claphams abit meh apart from The Grand.
Where abouts are you guys specifically meaning for "north" as its a pretty vast area. The only part ive been too is Highgate outside of the touristy bits.

Johnlenham said:
Brixtons nice or atleast Brixton hill and the area around the tube station god knows about the rest of it.. Claphams abit meh apart from The Grand.
Where abouts are you guys specifically meaning for "north" as its a pretty vast area. The only part ive been too is Highgate outside of the touristy bits.

On a strict North/South divide I use the Thames. Of course that means that West London gets some undeserved credit but no system is perfect. As a born and bred Londoner I get sick of out of towners always insisting that the South is so much nicer when what they mean is more affordable for paupers fresh out of Uni, with 5 to a house and a job in London.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Chinner said:
all of brixton is horrible.
:(

J Tourettes said:
On a strict North/South divide I use the Thames.
I consider the split North and South of Charring Cross as that is considered the mid point of London. Also Westminster is SW1. But that is just me being picky.

BGBW said:
:(

I consider the split North and South of Charring Cross as that is considered the mid point of London. Also Westminster is SW1. But that is just me being picky.

That's being too picky otherwise you could discount large swathes of South London as even belonging to London, as Charing Cross was chosen as the midpoint in the 18th century :p Londoners generally consider the Thames the divide.

BGBW said:
Happy with the new coat of paint they're giving the shopping centre?

:lol It's alright is what most of us should be saying about where we live. For as miserable the prospects of Scunthorpe are, I can't say it's really given me much grief. It's alright.

In other news, I have no fucking clue who my flatmates are for the next year. Fuck meeting them in public on moving day, this is the age of Facebook damn it! *reluctantly posts on halls' Facebook group wall*

JonCha

Don't come to Stoke then if you think London is a dive. About 70% is horrible (fortunately, I don't live directly in the centre and actually close to the countryside).

Meadows

Banned
Just came back from a couple of days in London. My mate who I used to work at Pizza Hut with's girlfriend lives in a 5-story townhouse in Hampstead. Jackpot!

Was really nice, and stuff in London isn't THAT expensive imo, although the compulsory 10% service charge bites a little. Oh, Camden is a shithole.

Meadows said:
Just came back from a couple of days in London. My mate who I used to work at Pizza Hut with's girlfriend lives in a 5-story townhouse in Hampstead. Jackpot!

Was really nice, and stuff in London isn't THAT expensive imo, although the compulsory 10% service charge bites a little. Oh, Camden is a shithole.

The main High Street area is but the surrounding areas are lovely. Also it's quite a sterilised, safe 'edgy' area, where tourists and middle class teens can go and feel daring.

Qasiel

Subliminal said:
The only good thing south of the river is the "Waterfront swimming pool" in woolwich.

I love to swim in that place. The gym's not bad, when it's not packed out by self-absorbed wankers. Which, in Woolwich, is rare.

Greenwich is pretty awesome too.

Xun

J Tourettes said:
The main High Street area is but the surrounding areas are lovely. Also it's quite a sterilised, safe 'edgy' area, where tourists and middle class teens can go and feel daring.
Definitely.

The main high street is a complete turnoff.

Qasiel said:
I love to swim in that place. The gym's not bad, when it's not packed out by self-absorbed wankers. Which, in Woolwich, is rare.

Greenwich is pretty awesome too.

The slide goes *outside* the building!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Musha_Soturi said:
I take it you've never been to Centre Parcs?

Outside rapids = awesomeness (and injuries when trying to race)

Center Parcs is one of my favourite places in the world, been going there for over 20 years. There is nothing quite like escaping to the woods and doing whatever you feel like.

Ride to the pool, go down the rapids a few times, relax in the jacuzzi, get pick 'n' mix from Treats, maybe do some badminton or crazy golf, then light a Duraflame and kick back in the villa. Or, do it the other way round and go for a swim at night, looking up at the stars from the warm, steamy pool. Heaven.

A real shame that it's cheapened itself a bit in recent years. Things like Starbucks and the woodland lodges have really tarnished the experience.

Murkas

This summer weather was shit. It was nothing, not very hot, not raining all the time, not very cold.

So average.

SmokyDave

Musha_Soturi said:
I take it you've never been to Centre Parcs?

Outside rapids = awesomeness (and injuries when trying to race)
I used to love Center Parcs. Haven't been for a few years though, it's too expensive nowadays. The missus is a teacher so we have to go during half terms and it's cheaper to fly to the other side of the world instead.

As an aside, I realised yesterday that the anagram for the war against terror is T.W.A.T.

SteveWD40

SmokyDave said:
As an aside, I realised yesterday that the anagram for the war against terror is T.W.A.T.

dUuJg.gif

Murkas said:
This summer weather was shit. It was nothing, not very hot, not raining all the time, not very cold.

So average.

It's weird, the last week has been surprisingly good weather-wise. Even today, it was pretty warm and muggy despite being overcast.

Mind you, I live in Dundee now, allegedly the sunniest place in Scotland. (Which isn't saying much.)

I'm watching the 9/11 ceremony on Sky News and then a yellow banner. Breaking News. It reads 'two islamic protestors arrested near us embassy in central london'. This whilst they play the 9/11 ceremony.

What horseshit

Qasiel

Leaving Merry Ol' England for the warmer climes of Japan (for 10 days) in a few hours. It's going to be such a culture shock as I'm used to my Western comforts.

english water in general tastes like shit. Having to buy water purifiers LOL.

it's fucking windy here in scotland too, means i can be lazy.

killer_clank said:
english water in general tastes like shit. Having to buy water purifiers LOL.

it's fucking windy here in scotland too, means i can be lazy.
I don't know what i'd do without my water filter, i'd likely die of thirst avoiding the standard tap water.

SmokyDave

I quite like the tap water here in Notts. It's not great in all areas but the water to my house is cool, clear and refreshing. A little like myself, really.

Don't pop my head in non-gaming GAF too often, but seen this thread and may as well represent Brit-GAF!

Gamertag/PSN/Steam ID: JohnnyD84 (XBLA) / johnny84 (PSN)
Hometown: Belfast
Current residence: Belfast
Sports team of choice: Blackburn Rovers
Favourite place to eat, and what to order there: Local Chinese or pizza place I suppose.
University (Past/Present/Future): Didn't go.
Favourite TV Show: Spaced, Peep Show, Alan Partridge and The Office
Post picture of your favourite british girl:

Dani Harmer
446tracy_beaker_QandA.jpg

Close second: Karen Gillan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom