• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
Mighty Boosh is just too surreal for my liking. Is it one of those shows that's great to watch when high?

shorty are you buying me a drink at the kendrick lamer gig this Saturday ?

sure! the usual right? public bathroom water?

Also, The Kendrick Lamar gig is next Wednesday...unless you're aware of something that I'm not. I wasn't able to get rid of the Dropkick Murphys ticket I picked up back in October so sadly I'm going to be on the other side of Glasgow city seeing them when Kendrick comes on stage :/

EDIT: Shame too considering that I really want to hear ADHD live.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Mighty Boosh is just too surreal for my liking. Is it one of those shows that's great to watch when high?

sure! the usual right? public bathroom water?

Also, The Kendrick Lamar gig is next Wednesday...unless you're aware of something that I'm not. I wasn't able to get rid of the Dropkick Murphys ticket I picked up back in October so sadly I'm going to be on the other side of Glasgow city seeing them when Kendrick comes on stage :/

EDIT: Shame too considering that I really want to hear ADHD live.

Got the days mixed up in my facebook post about the gig too :(

daviyoung

Banned

This is a misnomer, everyone is different so surreal imagery can create both negative and positive emotions depending on personality, dose, environment etc. Some people will love to get carried away in their world, while others will search for meaning through analysis. Getting high isn't binary so it's impossible to answer.

That said, drugs or no, Mighty Boosh takes some time to get into simply because of its image as surreal but it's not. There are recurring themes, characters and character traits that aid familiarity and realism despite how "crazy" it might come across at first glance, and sometimes is.

Check out Bunny and The Bull if you want to see that type of comedy in its distilled form, if you can't be bothered to get into Boosh.

Mikeside

Onsite at a record label in Richmond today... Still not quite comfortable working in a suit... Or a purple shirt, for that matter.

izj5ej7NwgcpB.jpg

This is a misnomer, everyone is different so surreal imagery can create both negative and positive emotions depending on personality, dose, environment etc. Some people will love to get carried away in their world, while others will search for meaning through analysis. Getting high isn't binary so it's impossible to answer.

That said, drugs or no, Mighty Boosh takes some time to get into simply because of its image as surreal but it's not. There are recurring themes, characters and character traits that aid familiarity and realism despite how "crazy" it might come across at first glance, and sometimes is.

Check out Bunny and The Bull if you want to see that type of comedy in its distilled form, if you can't be bothered to get into Boosh.

Davi that is deep stuff.

Put me in the 'Mighty Boosh gives me negative emotions due to its surreal humour' camp please.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Onsite at a record label in Richmond today... Still not quite comfortable working in a suit... Or a purple shirt, for that matter.

Apprentice cast member confirmed.

Junior Apprentice at that!

I love wearing a suit. It makes people think I'm classier than I really am. Feel like a pimp at work. Badass suit, badass beard, telling kids how it's gonna be, taking care of business. Grownup shit yo.

SKINNER!

Banned
aww well, Have fun on Wednesday Kentpaul and let me know how it went. If he ever comes back to the UK then he'll probably play at a huge venue like the SECC and I'll be kicking myself for missing out on next week's gig.

So, there's like different levels of surrealism and it can be interpreted differently based on the person's personality. I do fall into the "search for meaning through analysis" category but only if the tv show/movie requires me to.

Is it like how some folk can't enjoy OTT action movies because they refuse to believe that the protagonist can realistically jump and hang onto a moving helicopter for 5 minutes let alone 30?

daviyoung

Banned
So, there's like different levels of surrealism and it can be interpreted differently based on the person's personality. I do fall into the "search for meaning through analysis" category but only if the tv show/movie requires me to.

Is it like how some folk can't enjoy OTT action movies because they refuse to believe that the protagonist can realistically jump and hang onto a moving helicopter for 5 minutes let alone 30?

Something like that. I mean, it's completely consistent in its inconsistency. There's no reason to not accept its surreality because the two hooks of the show: Noel and Julian act like two normal friends surrounded by madness. If they were just as crazy as everyone else I doubt the show would be much to watch, but because their characters are at least grounded in traditional, audience pleasing comedy it becomes somewhat accessible to everyone.

In the same way, the action movie hero operates with the same mental capacity as a normal human (Indiana Jones for example), he is relatable and we want to watch him. But he exists in a universe that is fantastical, and can therefore do whatever he likes within its realms. Same as the Boosh.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oscar Nominations are out: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

How many films and actors/actresses will lose out at Oscars and instead be awarded at the BAFTAS this year?

Skyfall better get that Cinematography award anyway.

Here's the top three award nominations:-

Best Picture

Amour
Life of Pi
Argo
Lincoln
Les Misérables
Silver Linings playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
Beast of the Southern Wild

Best Actor in Leading Role

Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Denzel Washington - Flight

Best Actress in Leading Role

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
>tfw you get retweeted but then check their page and see they're a total gobshite and they probably misinterpreted you

Mikeside

I need to see Flight and Silver Lining Playbook. Going to see Life of Pi tonight... When is that Ewan McGregor movie about Haiti out?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Oscar Nominations are out: http://oscar.go.com/nominees

How many films and actors/actresses will lose out at Oscars and instead be awarded at the BAFTAS this year?

Skyfall better get that Cinematography award anyway.

Here's the top three awards:-

Best Picture

Amour
Life of Pi
Argo
Lincoln
Les Misérables
Silver Linings playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
Beast of the Southern Wild

Best Actor in Leading Role

Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Denzel Washington - Flight

Best Actress in Leading Role

Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts - The Impossible

I have seen none of these yet, going to see Les Mis tomorrow though and Django on day 1 too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I got it cut in December... Used to be way longer. I'll dig out a photo.
You think i should go even shorter??? Nooooo way.

Edit: November 2012, just before haircut

I like your hair, it makes you look like a cartoon sheepdog.

Michael Fassbender is going to sweep the board next year for his take on Frank Sidebottom

7QOkz.jpg

What film is this? Digging Maggie's hair. I think I may be the only person on the internet who thinks she's a cutie.

I've seen Argo and going to see Les Mis tomorrow. Then going to see Pitch Perfect and The Impossible on Sunday, after checking out some ice sculpting in Canary Wharf.

Mikeside

This is so boring. Waiting on site for some douche to send me a file so i can actually do some work.

Its been over an hour of waiting so far.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Beasts of the Southern Wilds is brilliant. I did see it at an indie theater ages ago (the Tivoli) but I'm surprised it got nominated as I didn't think it made a huge splash commercially. It's worth a watch for sure. Django is also brilliant and deserved actor nominations but eh, the academy is weird like that.

SKINNER!

Banned
Something like that. I mean, it's completely consistent in its inconsistency. There's no reason to not accept its surreality because the two hooks of the show: Noel and Julian act like two normal friends surrounded by madness. If they were just as crazy as everyone else I doubt the show would be much to watch, but because their characters are at least grounded in traditional, audience pleasing comedy it becomes somewhat accessible to everyone.

In the same way, the action movie hero operates with the same mental capacity as a normal human (Indiana Jones for example), he is relatable and we want to watch him. But he exists in a universe that is fantastical, and can therefore do whatever he likes within its realms. Same as the Boosh.

Ah I see. Thanks for the insight.

I need to see Flight and Silver Lining Playbook. Going to see Life of Pi tonight... When is that Ewan McGregor movie about Haiti out?

The one about the Asian tsunami with Naomi Watts you mean? :p That dropped last friday. Flight isn't out until Feb...same with Wreck-It Ralph. I enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook but I hope that Jennifer Lawrence doesn't win that Best Actress oscar because her performance was incredibad.

I may be the only person on the internet who thinks she's a cutie.

The right choice for Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight. Fuck all those haters who said otherwise.

Hello from Sweden.

Enjoy the women....traitor.

SmokyDave

Maggie Gyllenhaal is one of the very few 'famously attractive women' that I find straight-up ugly. Not 'quirky' or 'unconventionally beautiful', straight-up ugly.

Still, takes all sorts.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is one of the very few 'famously attractive women' that I find straight-up ugly. Not 'quirky' or 'unconventionally beautiful', straight-up ugly.

Still, takes all sorts.

If I didn't know you were a real person I'd swear you were my boyfriend in disguise. You two are so similar it's ridiculous.

Mr. Sam

Yup.

Beasts of the Southern Wild's anti-FEMA message is... weird. They're going to try to provide aid and healthcare and clothing, the bastards! Pretty movie though, and the girl who plays Slushpuppy is good.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
The trailers for the Life of Pi make it look like a movie made by Sky, same CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom