• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get tomorrow off work as I don't fancy the 9 mile walk home should a light dusting off snow cause chaos on London Overground.

I'm also off to see Peter Hook and his band perform a couple of New Order albums, followed by some Joy Division stuff at Koko tonight. I wouldn't have paid for the tix but seeing as they're free I'm going along. Not that I don't like Joy Division or New Order but something about Hooky rubs me up the wrong way.

Providing I get tomorrow off, the weekend starts here!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Has been a distinct lack of KentPaul and an increase of TashBrooke.

All very suspicious if you ask me.

Darren870

So this year will probably be my last year in London/UK

Anyone have any suggestions of weekend/day trips around the UK and London that are must sees? I haven't really explored the UK to much since I've been here.

Anyone have any suggestions of weekend/day trips around the UK and London that are must sees? I haven't really explored the UK to much since I've been here.

Oxford is really nice in the summer, Cambridge also.

3Sixty

Bath is very nice. Go to a Rugby game at The Rec.

recreation_ground_991990c.jpg

Mikeside

Thanks for that Mike! Means I don't have to step too far away from my grumpy-dad persona. Getting ideas already.

Really, that was quite a liberating post. Ta.

Don't step away from your persona at all - the father of the bride speech is great when you get a real sense of who that guy is - especially for the groom's family who might not have met you before.

SKINNER!

Banned

aww boo! You're leaving us. ah well, at least you had a good time in London. Come see Scotland! Spend a few days in Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Highlands. Take in the scenery, castles, shortbread and fine Scotch. Visit Scotland and if you're lucky enough you might see the infamous Loch Ness monster in Inverness or Kentpaul's ghost in Falkirk.

Who? I don't think I saw that name in your helpful summary.

Good job Meadows. You've just blown your cover.

SteveWD40

Edinburgh
York
Bath / Bristol
Conrwall (coast)

Those are the main ones, if you still have an appetite then you can try:

Manchester (I will buy you a pint)
Leeds
Glasgow (if you can get out to the hills around Loch Lomond it's stunning)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Don't step away from your persona at all - the father of the bride speech is great when you get a real sense of who that guy is - especially for the groom's family who might not have met you before.

They haven't. They won't have done by the time of the wedding. And there's a pretty good chance that they won't want to ever again!

So I think I can be fairly free.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I just bought another Robert Harris Novel, i fucking love this guy but i only really read whilst traveling and the most traveling I do now is a 2 minute journey to town

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

That's a tough call. Depends what you are interested in/where you've been before/what you've been missing and on what the UK can offer that nobody else has.

We don't, for example, match up in scenery to the USA/China/Italy - but if it is scenery you are after then try Cornwall, the Lake District (top left of England), Highlands of Scotland, North Wales.

And mostly we don't match up to the rest of Europe in cities - but if you want cosy compact cities then York, Durham, Cardiff, Edinburgh are worth a go.

We do villages damn well. Go explore the Cotswolds - Broadway, Bledington and so on. Try the bits south of Birmingham (don't actually GO to Birmingham!) like Cleobury Mortimer, loads of interesting little places in Northumbria. Little gems everywhere. Mid-Wales, bottom-left of Scotland and so on.

We do industrial heritage VERY well, being as it all started here. Do Ironbridge (thoroughly awesome), do Derbyshire - just go north from Derby up the Derwent Valley.

SteveWD40

That's a tough call. Depends what you are interested in/where you've been before/what you've been missing and on what the UK can offer that nobody else has.

We don't, for example, match up in scenery to the USA/China/Italy - but if it is scenery you are after then try Cornwall, the Lake District (top left of England), Highlands of Scotland, North Wales.

And mostly we don't match up to the rest of Europe in cities - but if you want cosy compact cities then York, Durham, Cardiff, Edinburgh are worth a go.

We do villages damn well. Go explore the Cotswolds - Broadway, Bledington and so on. Try the bits south of Birmingham (don't actually GO to Birmingham!) like Cleobury Mortimer, loads of interesting little places in Northumbria. Little gems everywhere. Mid-Wales, bottom-left of Scotland and so on.

We do industrial heritage VERY well, being as it all started here. Do Ironbridge (thoroughly awesome), do Derbyshire - just go north from Derby up the Derwent Valley.

Made me look lazy there!

I second all this, Derbyshire can be stunning once you hit the Peak District.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Just got back from a trip into Manc. Bought zero of what I was looking for because HMV is shite.

Oh, and there was this really cute Asian girl on the bus >.<

Mikeside

(don't actually GO to Birmingham!)

There are some really nice bits in Birmingham.
I went to stay with a friend at his uni flat a couple of years ago and we went around some nice town centrey bits.

If you're looking at interesting places in the UK, then I'd go to St. David's in the west of Wales - smallest city in the UK, gorgeous to boot.

Windsor and Oxford are both really interesting places to spend a day wandering around - lots of good plays on in Windsor too (also, a great fudge shop)

I've always really wanted to visit the Eden Project too - I hear that's dead interesting.

Plus, obviously, we've got a whole bunch of fantastic museums:

Chester Toy Museum
Natural History Museum
Science Museum
Imperial War Museum

There are dozens more great ones, but those are my favourites

Rubbish King

Just caved into lovefilm... as netflix has now ran out of things for me to watch.... who needs a life anywayz...

The Interface is pretty fucking shit though

Having a rough time at work, banks are so annoying! As are service charge reconciliations.

That's pretty badass. And a little bit scary.

I'm currently reading Coraline. Less badass.

Awesome, love me some Gaiman, just picked up Neverwhere. Not read Coraline yet but I loved the film.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell Mrs Sniv. Turn the telly off, pick up a book at home.

I read books on the tube on my way home from work, and graphic novels in bed before I go to sleep. I couldn't not read.

Mikeside

I'm lacking inspiration for the next book I want to read.

I always read fantasy/sci-fi. I want a break from it. I want something day-to-day - no huge political, military or corporate happening,s just a personal existential story with quirk and charm.

Any suggestions?

Just caved into lovefilm... as netflix has now ran out of things for me to watch.... who needs a life anywayz...

The Interface is pretty fucking shit though

Spend an extra £3 a month for Unblock US so you can can then access the US version of Netflix.

I'm lacking inspiration for the next book I want to read.

I always read fantasy/sci-fi. I want a break from it. I want something day-to-day - no huge political, military or corporate happening,s just a personal existential story with quirk and charm.

Any suggestions?

I'm currently reading The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich after reading that Hitler/moron thread on GAF. Great book so far but not what you're looking for.

My gf absolutely loves Haruki Murakami but haven't read him myself.

Rubbish King

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh yeah, m ISP offered me a year of LoveFilm. I should activate that when I get back home.

Will give my WiiU some use HA HA

Already got it guise...so you both got beat :D

Elaborate?

Not much point, you wouldn't understand any of it. By you I mean everyone, not just you specifically. It's kind of specific to my role, so unless you're a client accountant for asset management in a real estate company....

Rubbish King

CHEEZMO™;46553952 said:
Oh! I forgot; I got an interview at some Co-op insurance thing in Manchester :D
Awesome bro!!!!!!
Good luck!

Not much point, you wouldn't understand any of it. By you I mean everyone, not just you specifically. It's kind of specific to my role, so unless you're a client accountant for asset management in a real estate company....

Ohh.... Fair enough...I hate shit like that, especially once you've left the job and you cant forget it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom