• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Seriously I have no idea though, which is why my lawyer says that it is a pretty clear cut case of racism.

No.

How did they know you EXISTED? they don't have a database of brown people they pull from when they need a suspect. You must have been named to them by someone, no question, that you or have form.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Accused of theft and fraud, how they suspected me I don't know, I was arrested and released without charge. Just got back from the police station. They raided my place at 6am.

I've was talking to my lawyer all morning who says we should sue the police station and the officer in question. Also file an IPCC complaint for racism.

It's amazing, they accused me of electronic-theft from someone I barely know based on no evidence. They told me that the theft started 8 years ago and had been going on until a few months ago. I never even knew the guy 8 years ago, in fact I didn't even know he existed! Their excuse was that I have a lot of money quite suddenly which is impossible for brown people, obviously it didn't dawn on them that that I work for a bank.

Anyway I'm going to take advice on what to do, I can't let them get away with this.

Depends on the source that led to their investigation. If the police had reasonable grounds to investigate, then they got to investigate (or at least have to be free to do so). At least you were released without charge.

Doesn't mean the police were being racist or anything. With something like this it is unlikely they'd have zoned in on you without some specific information.

I'd suggest that, unless you've got specific evidence otherwise, you go after the source for slander rather than the police for doing their job.

Accused is not a criminal status (despite it's use in court, the defendant being the accused), you were arrested, charged or convicted, which was it? How do you know it was your skin?

Oh and the snow doth cometh in Manchester now.

I want them to burn for the reputation damage they have done. Coming here at 6am and making a racket, they fucking called my workplace to say I wouldn't be coming in today because I was under arrest because I had used my phonecall to contact a lawyer.

They arrested the one non-white person that this guy knows. I barely even know him.

Huh, I guess I should say what's up. From Los Angeles now living and working in Sheffield for more than a year now, yeah I know.

Hello, Brit-GAF! I swear I'll make to a London-GAF meetup one day (or if there was one in Manchester...). :S

Depends on the source that led to their investigation. If the police had reasonable grounds to investigate, then they got to investigate (or at least have to be free to do so). At least you were released without charge.

Doesn't mean the police were being racist or anything. With something like this it is unlikely they'd have zoned in on you without some specific information.

I'd suggest that, unless you've got specific evidence otherwise, you go after the source for slander rather than the police for doing their job.

I think being contacted from this specific lawyer will put the willies into them. They will know what's coming when they hear the name. It is unacceptable that I be arrested at 6am with 5 officers banging my door down.

Raknar

Neo Member
Guys there's someone else from Plymouth in the Snow thread omg I hope he's cool.

This is the prime reason why we should be considered too small to be in the Community ghetto.

Sorry to get your hopes up, but I don't post a lot!

How are the roads up your end? I need to get up there tomorrow morning. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has all melted by then.

Sorry to hear about your troubles zomg, hope you get it all sorted.

Welcome all newcomers! Please do hang around for a while, we are a lovely bunch I promise.

It's been snowing constantly in the City since about 9:30 but no sign of it settling yet.

SKINNER!

Banned
I want them to burn for the reputation damage they have done. Coming here at 6am and making a racket, they fucking called my workplace to say I wouldn't be coming in today because I was under arrest because I had used my phonecall to contact a lawyer.

They arrested the one non-white person that this guy knows. I barely even know him.

I'm guessing you can't mention details here otherwise you would've done it by now but, like phisheep said, keep cool and be sure you got solid evidence with your lawyer just to be on the safe side 'cus racism is some serious shit. I'm not saying every cop is a saint but there are a few out there who just want to do their jobs and help people.

Huh, I guess I should say what's up. From Los Angeles now living and working in Sheffield for more than a year now, yeah I know.

Hello, Brit-GAF! I swear I'll make to a London-GAF meetup one day (or if there was one in Manchester...). :S

We might've walked past each other without realising who we are. I remember your name from the E3 meetup last year that I couldn't attend because I had to dash to the hotel room for something and I had no internet access at the convention centre. Either way, glad to see you in BritGAF :) We welcome expatriates with open arms.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I think being contacted from this specific lawyer will put the willies into them. They will know what's coming when they hear the name. It is unacceptable that I be arrested at 6am with 5 officers banging my door down.

Look zomg, I appreciate you are kind of overwrought about this at the moment (understandable too). But calm down a bit.

It's not 'unacceptable' for the police to do this IF they had reasonable evidence against you. Now that evidence doesn't have to be true, but it does need to be sufficiently convincing for them to mount a raid. But it depends what the evidence is and where it came from. Your case, if you have one, is likely against whoever gave (presumably I guess, false) information to the police, but from what you've said so far I can't see you have a case against the police themselves.

You'd probably do better to have the police on your side rather than suing them. Really. If they have evidence of somebody giving false information they're a bit more likely to share it with you if you are not suing their asses off.

Take the emotion out, do the logic.

SteveWD40

It is unacceptable that I be arrested at 6am with 5 officers banging my door down.

Why? because you are special?

If you were a suspect then that's the score, I was wrongly accused once and hualed off cuffed in a van at 7am, considering the charge was conspiracy to defraud I thought the van was a bit much but that's just how they roll.

This guy you hardly know or one of his friends has named you, that haven't gone "know any brown people?" when questioning him.

Look zomg, I appreciate you are kind of overwrought about this at the moment (understandable too). But calm down a bit.

It's not 'unacceptable' for the police to do this IF they had reasonable evidence against you. Now that evidence doesn't have to be true, but it does need to be sufficiently convincing for them to mount a raid. But it depends what the evidence is and where it came from. Your case, if you have one, is likely against whoever gave (presumably I guess, false) information to the police, but from what you've said so far I can't see you have a case against the police themselves.

You'd probably do better to have the police on your side rather than suing them. Really. If they have evidence of somebody giving false information they're a bit more likely to share it with you if you are not suing their asses off.

Take the emotion out, do the logic.

They had no evidence. Absolutely zip.

I was the only non-white person this person knows and I was arrested for theft. No accusation had been made against me in any statements (my lawyer asked and they couldn't produce anything), the police acted of their own accord to arrest me based on no hard evidence. The final word was that they saw money going out in one place and me having lots recently (again a cursory investigation would have revealed that I earn £170k per year in basic wages and received a £320k bonus last year). Circumstantial rubbish basically that would not be considered if I was white.

SteveWD40

I was the only non-white person this person knows and I was arrested for theft. No accusation had been made against me in any statements (my lawyer asked and they couldn't produce anything), the police acted of their own accord to arrest me based on no hard evidence. The final word was that they saw money going out in one place and me having lots recently (again a cursory investigation would have revealed that I earn £170k per year in basic wages and received a £320k bonus last year). Circumstantial rubbish basically that would not be considered if I was white.

If that is all correct then they are fucked and you deserve every penny of the few million you should get, maybe get the media involved.

I find it hard to believe that is the case (that no accusation was made) but if they won't produce it....

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm guessing they are withholding their evidence. They aren't legally allowed to break down someone's door without any evidence. Can they even do that? This isn't Lethal Weapon, they know they'll get in shit for that. Also, did they have a warrant? Surely a judge has to approve that.

p.s. I get my legal advice from TV so I'm not an expert.

If that is all correct then they are fucked and you deserve every penny of the few million you should get, maybe get the media involved.

I find it hard to believe that is the case (that no accusation was made) but if they won't produce it....

My lawyer asked a number of times for them to produce an accusation or statement that names me as a suspect. Every time they said they didn't need one to arrest me.

We might've walked past each other withour realising who we are. I remember your name from the E3 meetup last year that I couldn't attend because I had to dash to the hotel room for something and I had no internet access at the convention centre. Either way, glad to see you in BritGAF :) We welcome expatriates with open arms.

Ah crazy! We may definitely have crossed paths, especially if you came by the Sony booth last year. :D

And thanks, Brit-GAF been good to me so far! I work with some gaffers and last month, I met two junior members at a random house party in Manchester. Two of us had an idea of the GAF connection considering we were both wearing Turquoise Jeep shirts. xD

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

If this is true, then I would be inclined to pursue a straightforward case of wrongful arrest rather that getting racism into it.

Basically the process is a load easier, the emotional stuff gets taken out and you're more likely to get at least an apology if the evidence is as sparse as you say.

(sorry for covering my arse all the way on this, but it is what you gotta do. I don't mean to impugn you at all zomg)

Go the racist route and there's all manner of committees and things get involved along the way and the whole thing takes longer. From what you've said I gather you want to get your name cleared properly first - and wrongful arrest is the way to go. If you also wish to press the racism angle I'd do it later and separately.

EDIT: Besides, in defending the wrongful arrest case they would need to reveal their evidence which might give cause for a subsequent racism claim.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So i just woke up...slightly hungover so i reach for my laptop and open it up..its on BritGAF..refresh..

See people talking about snow..... Maybe i'll just check, get up open the curtains..

AWW YEAH

20130118_111435.jpg

Portsmouth GAF checking in.
Awesome... Where abouts?

If this is true, then I would be inclined to pursue a straightforward case of wrongful arrest rather that getting racism into it.

Basically the process is a load easier, the emotional stuff gets taken out and you're more likely to get at least an apology if the evidence is as sparse as you say.

(sorry for covering my arse all the way on this, but it is what you gotta do. I don't mean to impugn you at all zomg)

Go the racist route and there's all manner of committees and things get involved along the way and the whole thing takes longer. From what you've said I gather you want to get your name cleared properly first - and wrongful arrest is the way to go. If you also wish to press the racism angle I'd do it later and separately.

EDIT: Besides, in defending the wrongful arrest case they would need to reveal their evidence which might give cause for a subsequent racism claim.

Yeah, we're already getting a case prepared for wrongful arrest. The papers will be filed next week and we want all of the evidence they have.

I want these fuckers to burn, the main "investigator" to be disciplined and an apology given in writing and for a call to be made to my boss. Trumped up little shits.

SKINNER!

Banned
Ah crazy! We may definitely have crossed paths, especially if you came by the Sony booth last year. :D

Oh I did. Spent a few good hours there playing All-Star Battle Royale, Metal Gear HD remake on the PSP and that 4-player Pac Man machine (which was close to the Street Fighter X Tekken PSP/PS3 booths IIRC).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yeah, we're already getting a case prepared for wrongful arrest. The papers will be filed next week and we want all of the evidence they have.

I want these fuckers to burn, the main "investigator" to be disciplined and an apology given in writing and for a call to be made to my boss. Trumped up little shits.

And that's just fine zomg. Sorry for diving in there, but I got the impression you might be going overboard a bit.

Just play it completely reasonable all the way (though I wouldn't be sorry if I discovered the "investigator" got his house raided at 6am).

Suairyu

Banned
That's shit, zomg. Hope you get justice.

You have pshisheep on your side in spirit; you can lose no case.

Sorry to get your hopes up, but I don't post a lot!

How are the roads up your end? I need to get up there tomorrow morning. But I wouldn't be surprised if it has all melted by then.
Main roads are fine. Residential are sloshy.

It's the pavements that are more the problem.

What do you do, Raknar?

And that's just fine zomg. Sorry for diving in there, but I got the impression you might be going overboard a bit.

Just play it completely reasonable all the way (though I wouldn't be sorry if I discovered the "investigator" got his house raided at 6am).

It just rankles that they have been given power by the state to intrude on my life like this based on no hard evidence. I resent that these people see me for the colour of my skin.

Oh I did. Spent a few good hours there playing All-Star Battle Royale, Metal Gear HD remake on the PSP and that 4-player Pac Man machine (which was close to the Street Fighter X Tekken PSP/PS3 booths IIRC).

Nice! Did you ever go upstairs at the booth? I was there most of the time.

And for you uni students, sucks that you guys have exams after vacation. Who's fucking idea was that anyway?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It just rankles that they have been given power by the state to intrude on my life like this based on no hard evidence. I resent that these people see me for the colour of my skin.

They've been given powers over everyone for the benefit of the rest of us. Part of the price of society, and sometimes it gets abused.

But it confuses me a bit why you assume it is to do with the colour of your skin rather than with, say, having shitloads of money. I've been involved with three fraud cases and each time having a whole load of money was a key factor, skin colour wasn't. Are you reading more into this than there is, or is there something else?

Up there you mean? I might've briefly. I keep thinking that the upstairs bits were for meetings/VIPs so I just stayed at the bottom where the games were. I wasn't at E3 for business.

Yup, up there. You did have to have a specific pass to go upstairs. My spot was to the left of the pic.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm back at home after a paltry two hours in the office, was not worth getting stranded in the arse end of nowhere just so I could work on a spreadsheet. Thankfully our exams are all over and the kids all live on site. I feel sorry for my old colleagues back at Guildford college, I know they've still got exams running. Life in the private sector is sweet yo.

Mikeside

I'm going home at lunchtime, whoop whoop!

BritGAF has been going from drama to drama lately - compelling stuff!

Hope all gets sorted out zomg, though I agree with phisheep, on what's been said, it sounds more like your incredibly respectable cash-mountains may have more to do with this than your skin colour.

You earn almost as much as I do in a year in one month.

They've been given powers over everyone for the benefit of the rest of us. Part of the price of society, and sometimes it gets abused.

But it confuses me a bit why you assume it is to do with the colour of your skin rather than with, say, having shitloads of money. I've been involved with three fraud cases and each time having a whole load of money was a key factor, skin colour wasn't. Are you reading more into this than there is, or is there something else?

It felt like it when they were talking to me. Disrespectful and incredulous that I could have all of this stuff without being a criminal. You get a feel for racial motivation as a brown person, and it really felt like it. The victim is a common friend of someone I work with so I'm not the only wealthy person he knows, I called my workmate and he has had no contact from the police, he's white.

I was just talking to the lawyer over the phone and he says we are going after the officer who conducted the investigation personally, he has looked it up just now with a contact in the Met and the officer has a history of arresting non-whites on spurious evidence. There is definitely some kind of agenda, maybe a black or brown person killed his dog or something. This time the guy has bitten off more than he can chew, I have enough money to bankrupt him personally by forcing him to defend these charges, and I might pay for a private investigator to dig a little deeper.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Stuck in shop with no customers.

Absolutely no idea whether to close up and go home or stiff it out in vain hope (after all if customers come they're going to want to stay, because the shop is warm and cozy). Meanwhile, sitting here with GAF and trying to work out how to do stocktaking in 6 weeks time.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It felt like it when they were talking to me. Disrespectful and incredulous that I could have all of this stuff without being a criminal. You get a feel for racial motivation as a brown person, and it really felt like it. The victim is a common friend of someone I work with so I'm not the only wealthy person he knows, I called my workmate and he has had no contact from the police, he's white.

I was just talking to the lawyer over the phone and he says we are going after the officer who conducted the investigation personally, he has looked it up just now with a contact in the Met and the officer has a history of arresting non-whites on spurious evidence. There is definitely some kind of agenda, maybe a black or brown person killed his dog or something. This time the guy has bitten off more than he can chew, I have enough money to bankrupt him personally by forcing him to defend these charges, and I might pay for a private investigator to dig a little deeper.

Right. There are two different things here in that case.

One is the wrongful arrest thing, which against the police force (I assume the Met?) in general. That's likely to be based on whatever evidence was available to them.

The second is against the investigating/interrogating officer, which is likely to be some sort of harrassment thing whether racially aggravated or not.

It's important to not get these two things confused or conflated with each other. And the wrongful arrest one is the more likely to clear your name with employers. The other is the more likely to get you (even more) money!

Raknar

Neo Member
Main roads are fine. Residential are sloshy.

What do you do, Raknar?

Ah, shouldn't be a problem then. I didn't think Plymouth would even get any snow. The only place I expected it to properly lay was up on Dartmoor.

Student. But I live and work here all year round with my girlfriend. How about you?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Snow's finally begun falling in Newcastle.

I'd love for an email saying "Yeah fuckit guys, we'll just base exams on your coursework" but
1. That will NEVER happen.
2. There'd be an uproar from people who didn't do as well on coursework.

Fuck'em, I just want this to be over.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Yeah.

Clean your pavements folks. Shovel, brush & salt. And don't believe any of the little busybodies who say you'll get sued for doing it. You won't. Not successfully.

Me and the boy did this a coupla years ago and the habit spread down the street - all of a sudden we all got clear pavements. Felt good.

Suairyu

Banned
Canteen is doing fish and chips today. Perfect remedy for the cold.

Student. But I live and work here all year round with my girlfriend. How about you?
TV Researcher for documentaries and "factual entertainment".

Will be nice to have a local GAFer. It's been lonely in this thread. Everyone is from London or worse.

Clean your pavements folks. Shovel, brush & salt. And don't believe any of the little busybodies who say you'll get sued for doing it. You won't. Not successfully.
Who would be theoretically suing and on what grounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom