• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Who would be theoretically suing and on what grounds?

People who slip on your pavement, on the grounds of you having been (allegedly) negligent in clearing it. A few of them try it on every year, none of them succeed. Goes back to some case in the 1940s but the facts were different (it was a doorstep on the threshold of a private school IIRC).

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Jesus fuck it's really snowing now.

Donkey Show is your tag accurate? Do we have a developer amongst our ranks now?

Lirlond

Snowed in in Glasgow. It's fucking mental out there!

jGaO4.jpg

Reknoc

Ok, it seems to be coming down reasonably fast in Nottingham now. Can't wait for my 30min wait for a 10minutely bus tonight.

Juicy Bob

Well, I thought I was having a bad day. Then I read zomg's posts. I'm really sorry that you had to go through that for no reason whatsoever. :/

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
20130118_123738.jpg

When i was walking back from the shop I decided to take the scenic route...what a mistake it was, as I walked round the corner i knew i had made a terrible mistake.. On the other side of the road i saw a small army of school children and chavs... One of them looked directly at me with a cheeky grin, i looked back and nodded as a sign that I had accepted my fate.

As i walked down the road the tension started to build...I knew my time was up, at first it was just a few, but slowly they started homing in on me, i looked over to see them all with one in their hands, I then proceeded to dodge ever single one with two bags of shopping in my hands.. They knew they had failed, i looked back at that first guy who had looked at me... His grin gone.. He knew... They knew they had failed in their attempt to annihilate me...

Tom 1 - 0 Snow Army

Rubbish King

So the bank made a clerical error and gave me a hundred quid...which i spent on shoes a last week, they sent it to my old home address this week...saying they want to work with me to get it back
what should i do? am i legally obligated to?
or can i declare Bankruptcy!!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So the bank made a clerical error and gave me a hundred quid...which i spent on shoes a last week, they sent it to my old home address this week...saying they want to work with me to get it back
Don't mess with the bank bro.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Depends largely whether you had a legitimate expectation to it (depending on which jurisdiction you are in of course). If they put it in your account and you've spent it they'll have a hard time claiming it back and might be persuaded to write it off.

I'm a bit concerned, though, that you say they sent the letter to your old home address. Unless you moved very recently you might have breached some term-or-condition requiring you to tell them where you live, which could give them the upper hand.

Upshot is, challenge it on the grounds of their incompetence and your legitimate expectation - but if they push back you may have to give way. It's not your money after all.

Rubbish King

Depends largely whether you had a legitimate expectation to it (depending on which jurisdiction you are in of course). If they put it in your account and you've spent it they'll have a hard time claiming it back and might be persuaded to write it off.

I'm a bit concerned, though, that you say they sent the letter to your old home address. Unless you moved very recently you might have breached some term-or-condition requiring you to tell them where you live, which could give them the upper hand.

Upshot is, challenge it on the grounds of their incompetence and your legitimate expectation - but if they push back you may have to give way. It's not your money after all.

I see, well I'm not officially moved in yet, just doing recon/looking for work... I was expecting emergency tax back from my old employer and i did get paid by the same time so i thought i just got more than i was expecting... I think I'll be alright, i cant afford to pay em back anyway, if it was urgent they should have phoned really, not sent a bloody letter

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I see, well I'm not officially moved in yet, just doing recon/looking for work... I was expecting emergency tax back from my old employer and i did get paid by the same time so i thought i just got more than i was expecting... I think I'll be alright, i cant afford to pay em back anyway, if it was urgent they should have phoned really, not sent a bloody letter

Fine. Tell them that is their own bloody fault, that you've spent it already (important you say that) that you had a legitimate expectation of additional money and that they've no right to claim it back.

That should do it.

Nice moment before when I was building a snowman with my flatmates, and an international student came up and asked if we could take a picture of him with it.

I suppose if you haven't witnessed it firsthand it must be a huge deal.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
People who slip on your pavement, on the grounds of you having been (allegedly) negligent in clearing it. A few of them try it on every year, none of them succeed. Goes back to some case in the 1940s but the facts were different (it was a doorstep on the threshold of a private school IIRC).

Related to this. What about if we took a bucket of water and poured it onto the small patch of pavement outside our front window to watch hilarity ensue when it freezes over? Could we be sued then?

Related to this. What about if we took a bucket of water and poured it onto the small patch of pavement outside our front window to watch hilarity ensue when it freezes over? Could we be sued then?

I suppose they'd have to prove you did that?

You'd make a killing on the Youtube Ad revenue alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom