• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
PopGAF are cool. Their GIFs are funny and they don't seem to invade that many threads - at least from my experience. Not like PonyGAF used to, at least.

Can we moan about 'MathGAF' next? It's fucking MATHS.

OMG YES, fuck those people. The US again with the cultural blinkers... I was really tempted to just post USA USA USA but I figure it's kinda trolling.

Just don't mention any rednames and we'll be fine.

Plus, I think they know what we're like in here - as long as we keep our moaning within BritGAF, we never cause any fuss.

So, new Postal Service in 2013. But as far as I know, nobody knows if that means they're touring or making something new.

Really hoping for some gigs over here.

Anyone else a fan?

Oh shit, best news ever! Postal Service are so damn good, I've missed them so much, I love that melancholic electro vibe they had going. I don't care if they're touring, as long as we get a new record I'll be a happy chap.

SKINNER!

Banned
What a strange office I'm currently in. When the manager is working from home, the office is completely dead but when he comes in it's like a circus.

Exactly like our workplace. Runs as smooth as butter when the boss isn't in.

Our director was off sick for 2 months, work wasn't allocated to anybody else. Department ran smooth as butter and there wasn't any 'work' to do on the director's behalf.

There's an easy £80k+ saving for the management team right there but instead they're trying to half our redundancy entitlement.

Motherfuckers.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Our director was off sick for 2 months, work wasn't allocated to anybody else. Department ran smooth as butter and there wasn't any 'work' to do on the director's behalf.

There's an easy £80k+ saving for the management team right there but instead they're trying to half our redundancy entitlement.

Motherfuckers.

That's fucking bullshit

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
PopGAF are cool. Their GIFs are funny and they don't seem to invade that many threads - at least from my experience. Not like PonyGAF used to, at least.

Really? There gifs are awful. So many rely on you knowing what the characters are meant to be saying but you can't tell because their are no words. We're not all lip readers and besides, most people slur their words these days.

Really? There gifs are awful. So many rely on you knowing what the characters are meant to be saying but you can't tell because their are no words. We're not all lip readers and besides, most people slur their words these days.

and thanks to tumblr, gifs of people saying stuff no longer contain the full sentence, but a random bit in the middle.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't believe I posted "there" instead of "their". It's before 12 so that's my excuse.

Wasn't there talk of a GAF outing to see Louis CK? Never seen a standup show before. Closest I've been to is radio recordings.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I feel like it's not worth the effort trying to get tickets for anything popular these days. I used to love going to festivals and big gigs but it feels like they all sell out within hours these days. You can't just go "oh when are radiohead playing" or "glastonbury looks cool this year, let's pop along".

I think I feel a mixture of jealousy because I can't go and slight disdain for the audience of vapid middle class teenagers that are most likely buying all the tickets.

Is it just me?

It feels like festivals got ruined (and consequently much more expensive and harder to get tickets for) when the audience changed from grungy outcasts to impossibly well groomed blonde girls from surrey with giant sunglasses and back combed hair.

Oh god I'm so old and bitter.

I feel like it's not worth the effort trying to get tickets for anything popular these days. I used to love going to festivals and big gigs but it feels like they all sell out within hours these days. You can't just go "oh when are radiohead playing" or "glastonbury looks cool this year, let's pop along".

I think I feel a mixture of jealousy because I can't go and slight disdain for the audience of vapid middle class teenagers that are most likely buying all the tickets.

Is it just me?

It feels like festivals got ruined (and consequently much more expensive and harder to get tickets for) when the audience changed from grungy outcasts to impossibly well groomed blonde girls from surrey with giant sunglasses and back combed hair.

I blame the BritPop explosion and V fest starting in the nineties.

f0rk

If I was going to take up an instrument it would probably be drums (or maybe beat making / dj stuff) but the thought of all that gear kinda puts me off, at least with a guitar you just need the one bag.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My mum feels the cost and difficulty of getting tickets is harming the industry. She could go and see local concerts (literally just going to the local park) for roughly the equivalent of a fiver and see a mixture of big acts like Jimi Hendrix. You could basically just go on the fancy and see people you may have not been that interested in, but seeing them live may be what it takes to hook you. You don't get that anymore.

Suairyu

Banned
BritPOP died for its sins after only 5 years. It changed things forever, I agree, but don't look back in anger at it.

My mum feels the cost and difficulty of getting tickets is harming the industry. She could go and see local concerts (literally just going to the local park) for roughly the equivalent of a fiver and see a mixture of big acts like Jimi Hendrix. You could basically just go on the fancy and see people you may have not been that interested in, but seeing them live may be what it takes to hook you. You don't get that anymore.
We're so much more connected these days because of the internet. Maybe you live in Leeds and see [fav band] is playing locally on [date]. Well, everyone in Cardiff now knows as well, and they bought all the tickets. High demand = high prices.

The situation has been awful in Plymouth for a long time. A band comes to the one decently sized venue here and it's sold out within an hour of it going live. You used to be able to blame the ticket scalpers back in the ebay boon days before that got made illegal, but the problem didn't go away when the scalping did.

Rubbish King

Is it just me?

I agree and im 19, dont worry bro
Good man. Drummers are rare and valuable, guitarists are ten a penny.
Id say bassists are the hardest to come by!!

Still plenty of cheap venues out there, it mainly depends on the size of the act. Some of my favourite gigs have been fiver entry type places.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I think there's been waves. BritPop would def be one, and then a little later in the post nu-metal world with Slipknot and their ilk, and then more recently with the more accessible and image-friendly indie post-2006ish. I look at the glasto and reading crowds these days and I feel so old and unfashionable!

Plus there's the thankfully dying fad of crowds singing a melody when there's no singing "doo do doo dee do". It makes my skin crawl. And I bet they're wearing flatcaps and filming it on their phones as well.

Oh man I'm so bitter, where did this come from??

Rubbish King

This is true but any guitarist can play bass if they're willing to humble themselves. bass is so easy even I can do it.

Y'see i disagree... Any guitarist CAN play bass..but too play it well is a whole different story, i know some amazing guitarists that when put on a bass just cannot get a groove going, they wont lock in with the drums and they push and pull the song because they're not used to having to stick with the drums..

I think there's been waves. BritPop would def be one, and then a little later in the post nu-metal world with Slipknot and their ilk, and then more recently with the more accessible and image-friendly indie post-2006ish. I look at the glasto and reading crowds these days and I feel so old and unfashionable!

Plus there's the thankfully dying fad of crowds singing a melody when there's no singing "doo do doo dee do". It makes my skin crawl. And I bet they're wearing flatcaps and filming it on their phones as well.

Oh man I'm so bitter, where did this come from??

BritPop was one (I enjoyed it though) but I think the image friendly indie shite started earlier than 2006, Coldplay being a major player.

Reading crowd has been pretty young as far back as I can remember (my first was 94). Having said that when I went in 2011, I was shocked by how young everybody looked but that's probably because I'm an old fart.

Coincidentally that was the festival when I decided that I'm definitely done with festivals, at least in the UK.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Drums are where it's at, though I picked up guitar because eventually I wanted to be able to play something tuneful too :p Also our band at the time needed some rhythm guitar but we didn't want to get an extra person.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still plenty of cheap venues out there, it mainly depends on the size of the act. Some of my favourite gigs have been fiver entry type places.

Well I'm assuming she means the equivalent of the big gigs costing little to nothing. I probably should attend gigs to expand my musical appreciation otherwise I'll be stuck listening to terrible OPs for all time.

Oh yeah, and I'm in London where everything costs 20x the price.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
My first festival was Reading '94! I think it cost around £65 (with petrol).

ikxdYaG.jpg

Oh God, Jo Brand! Glad I missed that. When did you lose your festival virginity?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Y'see i disagree... Any guitarist CAN play bass..but too play it well is a whole different story, i know some amazing guitarists that when put on a bass just cannot get a groove going, they wont lock in with the drums and they push and pull the song because they're not used to having to stick with the drums..

This is true, my band's guitar player is pretty bad at bass, she has no groove in her hips, bless her cotton socks. My last band's guitarist could play sick slap bass though, I would stop letting him play on mine at practice cos he made me feel bad haha

BritPop was one (I enjoyed it though) but I think the image friendly indie shite started earlier than 2006, Coldplay being a major player.

Reading crowd has been pretty young as far back as I can remember (my first was 94). Having said that when I went in 2011, I was shocked by how young everybody looked but that's probably because I'm an old fart.

Coincidentally that was the festival when I decided that I'm definitely done with festivals, at least in the UK.

I think Reading has always been around that late teens, early 20s mark sure. I think I just don't like (or rather, understand) teens today, they're far too cool for their own good. Back in the 90s we were so lame and badly dressed, it's the natural way of things. Awkward as a kid, grow into yourselves as an adult. I see these kids today and they're immaculate, it's freaky. Even the alternative kids, far too clean and tidy.

Still, little gigs are great still. Much better mix of ages and styles, not nearly as fashionable. I feel at home in a dark sweaty little room.

Well I'm assuming she means the equivalent of the big gigs costing little to nothing. I probably should attend gigs to expand my musical appreciation otherwise I'll be stuck listening to terrible OPs for all time.

Oh yeah, and I'm in London where everything costs 20x the price.

I'm in London too, cheap gigs are ten a penny. Small to medium size gigs can be bought for £20 ish. Electric Ballroom in Camden is a nice sized venue that has reasonable prices for bands. I've not been for a while (last band I saw was Modest Mouse a couple of years ago) but always have a good time there.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Leeds/Reading are NME festivals for the kids that only like bands to be popular has been for a while now

I've been to Leeds 6 weekends now and I resent that.

EDIT: Though from some people i'd seen there ~3/4 years ago, around the Kings of Leon year, I know exactly what you mean.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This was my first:

LeedsReading2000.jpg

My mate got crushed during Foo Fighters and Dave saved him. Limp Bizkit were genuinely great. Muse was pre Oranges of Symmetry and were mind blowing, nobody was expecting the riffage of Yes Please and the tent exploded.

SKINNER!

Banned
My first (and only so far) music festival = Rock AM Ring 2008. It was such an incredible lineup that I refused let it pass without my attendance.

Rock+am+Ring+2008+2.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait. I just remembered. I was dragged along to a Party in the Park once. I mostly slept in the summer sun. This was when Young and Gates were new.

Rubbish King

This is true, my band's guitar player is pretty bad at bass, she has no groove in her hips, bless her cotton socks. My last band's guitarist could play sick slap bass though, I would stop letting him play on mine at practice cos he made me feel bad haha

I think Reading has always been around that late teens, early 20s mark sure. I think I just don't like (or rather, understand) teens today, they're far too cool for their own good. Back in the 90s we were so lame and badly dressed, it's the natural way of things. Awkward as a kid, grow into yourselves as an adult. I see these kids today and they're immaculate, it's freaky. Even the alternative kids, far too clean and tidy.
Haha I was like that in a band in college and I formed a good friendship with the bassist and he taught me some slap until eventually I'd say I'd surpassed him in funk, it wasn't tense or anything but it ended up with us having to kick him out because he became so unreliable that I ended up filling in for him at practises.. Which meant he couldn't do our final assessment..

Oh and I hate my generation, I wish I'd been born ten years earlier, people now just suck, they're all parading around with there beats headphones in their chinos listening to N-Dubz and then the people who are how you described are such outcasts that they don't even bother trying to get out there, instead they stay in bitter... That's my view.. I'm one of them I guess, I'm not really an outcast but I never go to gigs because they're just full of these dickheads

Jesus that's a depressing way to look at it ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom