• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

I'm from Wales, but tried to lose the accent on purpose. Now I'm mainly told that I sound West Country. Someone thought I was from Yorkshire. Very few people pick up on the slight Welsh that has lingered.

My boyfriend is North London born and bred but everyone thinks he's Australian.

One of my cousins in Wales has a girlfriend with the sexiest accent in existence - she's from errrr...near Mumbles.
Torture every time I go to family stuff there.

Are you doing a mixtape, Musha?
I think we need a list of participants

Sweet, looking forward to seeing what you've cooked up.

And also, if you can't turn a movie date at home into a snog then there is no hope for you :)

There's a few overly obvious choices on there but there are a couple of curveballs too.
I couldn't find a place for Shellac - I was obsessed with Prayer to God when my fiancée cheated on me - such a powerful song, though incredibly self-pitying & angry.

This is why I put on my ray Winstone voice on when I'm in the zone "go on suck it you slaaaaaag"

Hahaha, I'll have to verify this with Mrs. Sniv next time I see her :p

I am from Stockport / Cheshire so possess no accent, in fact, probably due to too many films as a kid I have an almost mid Atlantic twang. People have said I sound:

A bit posh but still Northern
Southern but hard to place where
Like I lived in the US for a while

I don't hear any of that when I hear myself on recordings, just a deep slightly Northern thing. My nickname from some friends is "Radio" as they think I sound like I should be a late night DJ playing Sad Cafe (look them up kids) to lonely drunks / truckers.

In that case, for your mixtape, I want narration. No arguments.

lol

True dat, although you can get away with it if you souund a bit chavvy

Yeah... In school, my friends used to laugh about how posh I was, to which I'd reply "I'm not fucking posh", leading them to taunt me with "I'm not fucking posh" in a hilarious received pronunciation accent. I can't do chavvy.

Actually that's a lie - I did a great chavvy voice for a friend of mine's drum and bass track... let me find it...

Found it!
http://uk.myspace.com/djbilkouk/music/songs/talk-to-frank-ft-mike-waters-53626646

That's MC IamMikeside on vocals, haha

Jesus, unless you came from Compton that must have seemed a bit shit...

(it was LA you are from right?).

Haha, that's definitely one way of putting it. It's where me ex-wife is from. I will say, I don't think I've ever partied so hard for her mother's birthday and a christening for my niece up there. The north can definitely handle business. xD

One of my cousins in Wales has a girlfriend with the sexiest accent in existence - she's from errrr...near Mumbles.
Torture every time I go to family stuff there.

Are you doing a mixtape, Musha?
I think we need a list of participants

If you think the Welsh accent is sexy you have problems boy.

Sure I'll do a mix tape. Have we agreed on a format/length/due date?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the female Welsh accent can sound cute. Even from a man if can be cute. Sometimes it sounds so innocent.

I'm a big fan of Northern, and Welsh, accents. I've been told my accent is fairly nondescript however that Brummie accent sometimes DOE ARF COME OWT AT THE WURST POSSIBLE TOIME.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

I think the female Welsh accent can sound cute. Even from a man if can be cute. Sometimes it sounds so innocent.

Depends where from. Me and Musha are both from the same town in the Eastern Valleys, and that's way from the greatest accent ever (downright grating really) and we both lost it on purpose.

But if you get west of Port Talbot or north of Merthyr you get some damn sexy soft lilted melodious accents. We drew the short straw.

Mikeside

Er, I think I said either 8th or 9th for the deadline (though I still see this as Jedeye's gig, so I'll defer the final decision to him)

Format... still being argued over. I'm going to zip it up and have a playlist file in there.
Length - between 60 minutes and however long Jedeye's is

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Actually that's a lie - I did a great chavvy voice for a friend of mine's drum and bass track... let me find it...

Found it!
http://uk.myspace.com/djbilkouk/music/songs/talk-to-frank-ft-mike-waters-53626646

That's MC IamMikeside on vocals, haha
Fucking quality! Was not expecting that!
And all the other Warner stuff - Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freekazoid - was Tazmania a CITV show as well? 90s Warner fucking KILLED IT
I had Cartoon Network and Boomerang for that breh
Bearwood, while not technically Birmingham due to some fucked up boundary lines, it's about 4 miles from the city center.
Does that mean your Brummy or Yamyam?

Mikeside

Depends where from. Me and Musha are both from the same town in the Eastern Valleys, and that's way from the greatest accent ever (downright grating really) and we both lost it on purpose.

But if you get west of Port Talbot or north of Merthyr you get some damn sexy soft lilted melodious accents. We drew the short straw.

I've not done the research on areas in Wales but yeah - I fucking love girls with Welsh/Irish/Scottish/Most Northern England accents.

Also Canadian.

Ooh-err.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh god the Anita Sarkeesian threads. I can't do this shit anymore.

I'm not going to post in it. I'm going cold turkey on trying to educate fools on both sides of the argument. Why can't motherfuckers see a situation for what it is rather than trying to pick one of two diametrically opposed positions and arguing 'til they're stupid?

I am Suairyu, and I hereby declare I am out of all political and social threads on NeoGAF from this day until my last, so help me Bowie.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm from Wales, but tried to lose the accent on purpose. Now I'm mainly told that I sound West Country. Someone thought I was from Yorkshire. Very few people pick up on the slight Welsh that has lingered.

My boyfriend is North London born and bred but everyone thinks he's Australian.

How do you go about losing your accent on purpose? I've never managed to do it. Every time I try to it just seems like I'm taking the piss.

Jesus, unless you came from Compton that must have seemed a bit shit...

(it was LA you are from right?).

You reminded me of a hilarious conversation I had with a Persian taxi driver in LA. I always like to make conversation with taxi drivers so I mentioned something about how great the weather was.

Driver:"This your first time in Los Angeles?"

Me: "Yes, I arrived from Scotland a couple of days"

Driver: "aaaaaaah! Scotland! Sean Connery! I love James Bond!"

Me: "haha, yeah. Well, I'm just astounded at the palm tress and great weather you have here. LA is quite a great city"

"oh yes! Hollywood/Beverley Hills? EEEven better. Downtown LA is good but you need to watch out for certain places."

"Oh really? every city has its dangers I suppose"

"These parts are ok but anywhere beyond the University of Southern California is really bad. There was a shooting last weekend. They just shoot anybody there. Crazy [racial slur]! You walk in the streets at night and they will drive next to you and shoot you! They don't care! [racial slur] making this city so dangerous. Don't go down there. promise me!"

"uuugh, I promise"

- Rest of the journey was complete silence with only a few car horns and Farsi expletives blurted out everytime someone cut him off -

We arrive at destination, I give him the money and open door to leave*

"Ok, you have a great time in LA now! :D"

EDIT: Maybe that wasn't hilarious now that I think about it. Come to think of it, I spoke to a lot of weird people in LA.

Mikeside

You reminded me of a hilarious conversation I had with a Persian taxi driver in LA. I always like to make conversation with taxi drivers so I mentioned something about how great the weather was.

Driver:"This your first time in Los Angeles?"

Me: "Yes, I arrived from Scotland a couple of days"

Driver: "aaaaaaah! Scotland! Sean Connery! I love James Bond!"

Me: "haha, yeah. Well, I'm just astounded at the palm tress and great weather you have here. LA is quite a great city"

"oh yes! Hollywood/Beverley Hills? EEEven better. Downtown LA is good but you need to watch out for certain places."

"Oh really? every city has its dangers I suppose"

"These parts are ok but anywhere beyond the University of Southern California is really bad. There was a shooting last weekend. They just shoot anybody there. Crazy [racial slur]! You walk in the streets at night and they will drive next to you and shoot you! They don't care! [racial slur] making this city so dangerous. Don't go down there. promise me!"

"uuugh, I promise"

- Rest of the journey was complete silence with only a few car horns and Farsi expletives blurted out everytime someone cut him off -

We arrive at destination, I give him the money and open door to leave*

"Ok, you have a great time in LA now! :D"

EDIT: Maybe that wasn't hilarious now that I think about it. Come to think of it, I spoke to a lot of weird people in LA.

Haavee a niiiiiice day

SteveWD40

trainingday.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The welsh accent is pretty sexy yo! Cerys Matthews from back in the day, aw yeah. She sounded half drunk and dtf :p I also like the accents held by the bird off the One Show and Stacey off Gavin and Stacey, so cute.

Mixtape - due date is I believe next weekend? I dunno, Mike said something but I forgot. Length - roughly a CD. I've made 2 40 min mixes cos I'm a twat. Format we're thinking chuck all the MP3s in a zip and stick em on a dropbox. Art if you like. Explanations compulsory. Any music you like.

The more the merrier :)

EDIT: My hottest accent - Indian girls with Scottish accents. Meeeeeeelt! There was a teacher on Waterloo road with this exquisite setup.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
How do you go about losing your accent on purpose? I've never managed to do it. Every time I try to it just seems like I'm taking the piss.

It does to start with. I lost mine because I was doing a lot of amateur dramatics and got pissed off with being cast in nothing other than under-fucking-Milkwood. It's more, though, about acquiring another accent rather than losing one - imitating other people and picking it up from there. Which I guess is why Musha sounds australian and I sound sort of west-midlands/london. When I do get back into welsh (largely when talking rugby/women/beer), the accent comes out rather more swansea/west wales than the original, because that's who I hang out with. Also (see above post) more sexy. Though possibly not when it comes from me.

EDIT: My hottest accent - Indian girls with Scottish accents.

Most disconcerting one I came across was a Chinese guy with a Glaswegian accent. Every time we talked it sounded like someone else was doing a voiceover on the cheap.

Mikeside

I think I burned some bridges with that comment.
Did I mention I have best friend from Manchester?

Well not a best friend, but a friend...

...well I know a guy from Manchester.
he's a dickhead

It does to start with. I lost mine because I was doing a lot of amateur dramatics and got pissed off with being cast in nothing other than under-fucking-Milkwood. It's more, though, about acquiring another accent rather than losing one - imitating other people and picking it up from there. Which I guess is why Musha sounds australian and I sound sort of west-midlands/london. When I do get back into welsh (largely when talking rugby/women/beer), the accent comes out rather more swansea/west wales than the original, because that's who I hang out with. Also (see above post) more sexy. Though possibly not when it comes from me.

I can always tell when my nan is talking on the phone to Welsh family because her accent comes right back immediately - it's hilarious, because she'll take a couple of hours to go back to normal. She's from Swansea originally.

Hystzen

I dont really have a accent just think that's par of the course round this area really every town around here has no accent

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember visiting my friend in S.Korea who was over their teaching english. I noticed he was pronouncing certain words rather strangely like coffee. When I enquired apparently he was meant to pronounce words with an American twang because that's the English they learnt in that school. Unfortunately for him he can't pull off an accent to save his life so it came out as a terrible attempt at doing an Northern English accent than an American one.

Though I should probably apologise once again to the Scottish contingent for my terrible Scottish impersonation at the GAF meet.

Rubbish King

I dont really have a accent just think that's par of the course round this area really every town around here has no accent
Everybody has an accent...EVERYBODY, the only real non-accent is to talk slightly posh i guess as it is the only accent where you cant trace to a region
Whelp, born a Brummy but being part of Sandwell now would make me a yammer I guess. What a depressing thought. Ay it.

lol

Few of my mates in Bham use such colourful language when referring to YamYams..
Gutted

Pretty much what Phi said. I also did a lot of am dram back in the day so had a nack for accents. When I moved to London I just concentrated on not pronouncing words with a Welsh accent. I tried to go for a more generic English/London accent, but when I stopped thinking about it all the time and just let it be it came out how it came out, this weird ass hybrid that is difficult to place. But at least it's not Welsh.

f0rk

I don't have an accent, in the East Midlands we don't speak posh like the southerners, rough like the northerners or weird like people either side.

Suairyu

Banned
You can't hear your own accent, dude.

You might very well have a more neutral British accent, RP without the poshness. I have much the same.

Rubbish King

I don't have an accent, in the East Midlands we don't speak posh like the southerners, rough like the northerners or weird like people either side.

An accent is a distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language, everyone has an accent. EVERYONE If a yank says he doesnt have an accent what would you say? It's the same for us, you may not have an accent that people associate with a particular region of England, but it's not like you dont have an English accent.

f0rk

An accent is a distinctive mode of pronunciation of a language, everyone has an accent. EVERYONE If a yank says he doesnt have an accent what would you say? It's the same for us, you may not have an accent that people associate with a particular region of England, but it's not like you dont have an English accent.

Nah man I have the base accent, everyone else took it and fucked it up.

Mikeside

You can't hear your own accent, dude.

You might very well have a more neutral British accent, RP without the poshness. I have much the same.

RP is definitely an accent - one that was specifically developed to show wealth and status. Though not even the Monarchy really use it anymore, as it does them a lot more good to sound like they're just normal people.

The generally accepted "non-accent" is Standard English.

I spent about a year learning about accents etc when doing an English Language A-Level.

Finally, a voice of reason on this matter.

No way - Welsh accent can be extremely sexy. That's a scientific fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom