• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rk

I don't really agree, if they didn't make amazing games Steam would probably have crashed hard.

My main problem is how casually Valve talk about hypotheticals without really saying what they are doing. Like this movie is clearly never going to happen.

I don't really agree, if they didn't make amazing games Steam would probably have crashed hard.

I think it's sort of a closed loop of greatness, their fucking amazing games let Steam live and in turn Steam got to become fucking amazing itself. Valve love probably differs from person to person. I know people who can't stand HL2 but loved Portal, I know people who are constantly on Steam but don't care too much for Valve's games.

Hystzen

My main problem is how casually Valve talk about hypotheticals without really saying what they are doing. Like this movie is clearly never going to happen.

If the movie has the number 3 in it will never get made

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Just went to the shop, local costcutter, been going there for a year or so..

Walk in, pick up some beers, go to the counter, with a friend, he' over 18 and he isnt drinking..

She IDs us both and im like, he doesnt have any ID but thats irrelevant, I DO and im buying them FOR MYSELF to consume..

He's a big lad and he clearly looks old enough, but she wont budge. I tell her its not the fucking law! and if IM buying it and i did give it to them I would get fined, not them, she says well tough shit its HER decision whether i can buy it, well fuck that, im fucking complaining and im also gonna complain to the police, ive had enough of this bullshit i tell ya

Mikeside

Just went to the shop, local costcutter, been going there for a year or so..

Walk in, pick up some beers, go to the counter, with a friend, he' over 18 and he isnt drinking..

She IDs us both and im like, he doesnt have any ID but thats irrelevant, I DO and im buying them FOR MYSELF to consume..

He's a big lad and he clearly looks old enough, but she wont budge. I tell her its not the fucking law! and if IM buying it and i did give it to them I would get fined, not them, she says well tough shit its HER decision whether i can buy it, well fuck that, im fucking complaining and im also gonna complain to the police, ive had enough of this bullshit i tell ya

Its up to the discretion of the shop, so its totally legal and its such a shitty job to have to deal with when it comes to selling alcohol. Don't make a complaint, you'll come off looking stupid and will probably cause a lot of hassle for somebody just doing their job.

For the record if I'd ided you and one of you couldn't produce, I wouldn't have served you either.

....sounded harsh but wasn't meant that way. Much love

Rubbish King

Let's not be silly now, portal 2 expands on and improves just about every aspect of the first game. I have so much love for portal 2

Fuck that, Portal was awesome because it was just a puzzle game in the orange box, when they made its own it took a bit away from it, including the fact you had to pay the same for it as a major release title

Its up to the discretion of the shop, so its totally legal and its such a shitty job to have to deal with when it comes to selling alcohol. Don't make a complaint, you'll come off looking stupid and will probably cause a lot of hassle for somebody just doing their job.

For the record if I'd ided you and one of you couldn't produce, I wouldn't have served you either.

But that isnt even the fucking law! And it doesnt get the company in trouble as i would be in the wrong for buying it, but my biggest fucking problem is the fact that Why in gods name would he be in the fucking shop with me if i was buying it for him, the thing is that I was in there 2 days earlier and did the same fucking thing no god damn hassle.

I know in big places like london you see different people everyday but its a very closed community in comparison and in the co-op down the road i am ID'd EVERY TIME and ive been buying alcohol/cigarettes for the past year and i am ID'd by the same fucking lady every god damn motherFUCKING time!!!!!!!

I tell other shopkeepers when they ask for ID and they're like, sorry mate, it's the law and i say its fine i understand but i use that as an example and they cant believe it, its fucking degrading and totally takes away a local feeling from a shop when they do that. I dont always complain but its the fucking inconsistency as ONLY the female members of the shop ID me. All the lads have seen my ID plenty of times and stop asking, but I have conversations with one of the ladies and we always have a chit chat

YET STILL?!?!!?!?

Its fucking bullshit

f0rk

I think it's sort of a closed loop of greatness, their fucking amazing games let Steam live and in turn Steam got to become fucking amazing itself. Valve love probably differs from person to person. I know people who can't stand HL2 but loved Portal, I know people who are constantly on Steam but don't care too much for Valve's games.

But at the start of the loop Steam was shit, HL2 gave them the grace period to fix it before it was forever damaged.

Let's not be silly now, portal 2 expands on and improves just about every aspect of the first game. I have so much love for portal 2
One of my favourite things about Portal 2 is the restraint it shows in terms of fan service. It could have been a disaster.

Mikeside

Fuck that, Portal was awesome because it was just a puzzle game in the orange box, when they made its own it took a bit away from it, including the fact you had to pay the same for it as a major release title

But it has the content of a full release and a lot more charm, personality and polish than most major releases

I completely agree with Mike.

I've worked in both a local Spar and a pub and I regularly refused to serve people if they or the people they were with didn't have ID.

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH

Rubbish King

I completely agree with Mike.

I've work in both a local Spar and a pub and I regularly refused to serve people if they or the people they were with didn't have ID.

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH

Im disputing that, i understand that when going in a new shop where the person doesnt know you.. but see above post..

Rubbish King

What's happening to us Musha? This keeps happening!

But that isnt even the fucking law! And it doesnt get the company in trouble as i would be in the wrong for buying it, but my biggest fucking problem is the fact that Why in gods name would he be in the fucking shop with me if i was buying it for him, the thing is that I was in there 2 days earlier and did the same fucking thing no god damn hassle.

I know in big places like london you see different people everyday but its a very closed community in comparison and in the co-op down the road i am ID'd EVERY TIME and ive been buying alcohol/cigarettes for the past year and i am ID'd by the same fucking lady every god damn motherFUCKING time!!!!!!!

I tell other shopkeepers when they ask for ID and they're like, sorry mate, it's the law and i say its fine i understand but i use that as an example and they cant believe it, its fucking degrading and totally takes away a local feeling from a shop when they do that. I dont always complain but its the fucking inconsistency as ONLY the female members of the shop ID me. All the lads have seen my ID plenty of times and stop asking, but I have conversations with one of the ladies and we always have a chit chat

YET STILL?!?!!?!?

Its fucking bullshit

Please acknowledge dis post, i dont care if im wrong, i want your opinion

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Tash, the fines and punishments will always been immense for the store if they screw up and so the store policy will always be 'better safe than sorry'. It's the same anywhere in the US as well.

Don't like it? Tough. You're a teenager, no one is gonna bat an eye when you kick off, you're expected to be fucking miserable 90% of the time.

What's happening to us Musha? This keeps happening!

I know, I'm scared too :(

You're wrong

Tash, the fines and punishments will always been immense for the store if they screw up and so the store policy will always be 'better safe than sorry'. It's the same anywhere in the US as well.

Don't like it? Tough. You're a teenager, no one is gonna bat an eye when you kick off, you're expected to be fucking miserable 90% of the time.

Pretty much this, you're acting like a sulky teenager. Grow up. It's part of their job to ask, just always have your ID on you and there's no problem. Why does it bother you so much being ID'd?

Rubbish King

Well thats total fucking bullshit and i shouldnt have to deal with it, its wrong, it wasnt the same years ago, so why should it be different now

I understand if I walk into a large city store and they ask me for ID

But if i walk into a store that i have been ID'd hundreds of times before, it just takes the fucking cake they continue to ask, even though its only the females that do it, i would say im wrong but when i tell other shopkeepers out of town they're shocked, fuck i hate this system

Pretty much this, you're acting like a sulky teenager. Grow up. It's part of their job to ask, just always have your ID on you and there's no problem. Why does it bother you so much being ID'd?
Because It's bullshit! I was with a friend and i went with him to the shop, after i left the shop he went home and i had to walk to another store to buy MORE expensive beer, i was refused something i am legally entitled to and i spent 50 fucking quid just to prove it and sometimes that isnt even enough.

and I'm sulking because i feel insulted, because the lady behind the counter was a total bitch anyway, and i was in a really good mood before and now im not.. Should i have to tell my friend who is an adult who hasnt got an ID on him to wait outside because i dont want to be refused beer, yet again, then i have to wait outside whilst he then goes in and buys a fucking crunchie

Well thats total fucking bullshit and i shouldnt have to deal with it, its wrong, it wasnt the same years ago, so why should it be different now

But if i walk into a store that i have been ID'd hundreds of times before, it just takes the fucking cake they continue to ask, even though its only the females that do it, i would say im wrong but when i tell other shopkeepers out of town they're shocked, fuck i hate this system
Glorious. This and the Telegraph/Daily Mail comments on gay marriage have given me a whole decade's worth of bitter tears in a day.

Hystzen

I never got ID'd when underage but soon as hit 18 got it all time, still get ID'd at 25 don't see problem. They got a job either heavy fines or just ask, it hard to tell ages of people so i don't blame them

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

But if i walk into a store that i have been ID'd hundreds of times before, it just takes the fucking cake they continue to ask, even though its only the females that do it, i would say im wrong but when i tell other shopkeepers out of town they're shocked, fuck i hate this system.
Tell Me Where It Hurts - Garbage

I understand you're frustrated mate, but it really is for the best policy for everyone involved. Hope you understand one day.

I never got ID'd when underage but soon as hit 18 got it all time, still get ID'd at 25 don't see problem. They got a job either heavy fines or just ask, it hard to tell ages of people so i don't blame them

Haha same here! 31 and still getting ID'd, I love it, such an ego boost!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I think what they did was fair, if a bit cunty. I have documented hate for IDing, it happened to me a couple of years ago and I'm in my late 20s with a beard and thinning hair and tattoos. Sometimes life is shit, go elsewhere for your booze, it's cool.

Mike, am listening to your mix now. The first half is like you've picked from my record collection :p I'm surprised you didn't use the Shins cover of We Will Become Silhouettes.

Rubbish King

Tell Me Where It Hurts - Garbage

I understand you're frustrated mate, but it really is for the best policy for everyone involved. Hope you understand one day.

I'm sorry, i hate to rant, its not the law that gets me, its the grey areas surrounding it, if it is there in black and white i wouldnt care, its the fact i can go in with a friend and its fine one day then the next its not alright, if it was consistant system and was compulsory for any purchase of over 18 products i wouldnt give a shit, and if it was also compulsary that anybody with me would have to provide ID i wouldnt care, but its the fact im not sure if i can go into a shop with a friend and buy shit whilst he's with me?

Surely you can understand that?

I just need to clarify that I had ID, my mate was already in the shop buying munch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Because It's bullshit! I was with a friend and i went with him to the shop, after i left the shop he went home and i had to walk to another store to buy MORE expensive beer, i was refused something i am legally entitled to and i spent 50 fucking quid just to prove it and sometimes that isnt even enough.

and I'm sulking because i feel insulted, because the lady behind the counter was a total bitch anyway, and i was in a really good mood before and now im not.. Should i have to tell my friend who is an adult who hasnt got an ID on him to wait outside because i dont want to be refused beer, yet again, then i have to wait outside whilst he then goes in and buys a fucking crunchie

Dude.

Crying-baby-010.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I was buying an M rated game once and my little brother got out of the car and came inside to ask what was taking so long and the clerk wouldn't sell me the game. That was a load of bull to me (he's 12 and we play all kinds of violent shit together and he's not any worse for the wear for it) and frustrating as hell but I understand some people are cunts about following the line of the law and others are just afraid of the consequences.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

YET STILL?!?!!?!?

Its fucking bullshit

I'm with Mike on this. Lemme explain why.

The actual shop assistant could be prosecuted for selling if you were underage OR if you were buying for someone underage. Them personally. Fined.

And if that happened their employer could, just for being their employer, also be held liable.

So, the employer has procedures - which the staff have to follow. And those procedures, and whether they were followed or not, are admissible as evidence in court.

So naturally, the company overstates the procedures a bit to try and make them watertight and leaves as little as possible to the discretion of their employee. That way, if the employee is caught out, they can avoid liability.

Similarly, it is a good defence for an employee that they were following procedures laid down by their employer. So they follow the procedures.

So that's why you got refused - because you were apparently under 25 (probably) and accompanied by someone apparently under 25 (probably) without ID.

You'll not get anywhere complaining about it. Besides, the law says that you MAY buy alcohol over the age of 18, but it does not oblige anyone to actually sell it to you.

Myself, I'm not sure I would sell you a sharp instrument.

Rubbish King

I'm with Mike on this. Lemme explain why.

The actual shop assistant could be prosecuted for selling if you were underage OR if you were buying for someone underage. Them personally. Fined.

And if that happened their employer could, just for being their employer, also be held liable.

So, the employer has procedures - which the staff have to follow. And those procedures, and whether they were followed or not, are admissible as evidence in court.

So naturally, the company overstates the procedures a bit to try and make them watertight and leaves as little as possible to the discretion of their employee. That way, if the employee is caught out, they can avoid liability.

Similarly, it is a good defence for an employee that they were following procedures laid down by their employer. So they follow the procedures.

So that's why you got refused - because you were apparently under 25 (probably) and accompanied by someone apparently under 25 (probably) without ID.

You'll not get anywhere complaining about it. Besides, the law says that you MAY buy alcohol over the age of 18, but it does not oblige anyone to actually sell it to you.

Myself, I'm not sure I would sell you a sharp instrument.

I do agree to some degree, but there are so many scenarios where this law is just inconvenient, one time when i went to do some shopping in a CO-OP, id been in there for 20-30 minutes picking shit up with my sister for a meal to make for the family, she was 8 years old, after scanning all of the products the employee proceeded to ask me whether i wanted anything else (Pretty much everything behind the counter is age restricted, so when I asked for a pack of twenty, she refused it as I was with my 8 year old sister, the same shop ive been buying the same cigarettes in for an entire year.. That could get to the point where you're with your daughter and your refused fags/booze and that does happen at my local co-op.

That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen

I am however not at University

On another note, are you the creator of dolan comics, because i feel like you may be the internets silent hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom