• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Westminster council bans rare and medium-rare burgers: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...s-8398336.html

CQYor.gif

SKINNER!

Banned
Should have a minimum price: Burgers under 7 quid can't be rare, more expensive burgers can be cooked however you please.

huh? I can understand an age restriction to prevent kids from getting those nasty illnesses but why make rare burgers more expensive? Prevent people from binge eating rare meat?

Stubo

loved the cat and mouse mode in mutilpayer. I don't think there any online players left though.
Playing this unofficially on PGR2 with the paint colour swap glitch was one of many reasons why it's still my favourite racing game ever. So many evenings well spent.

...PGR5 please, Turn 10? Preferably make it good :(

Oh, and burgergate is stupid. Are we only going to be allowed burnt toast next?

Edit: 'bans' isn't the headline 'cracks down on' is. It's fair enough that they want to check to make sure meat is being prepared and offered in a healthy form, objections revoked.

Suairyu

Banned
BGBW YOU WATCH MASTERCHEF?! Nobody else does I have no-one to talk to about it.

Westminster council bans rare and medium-rare burgers: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/westminster-council-bans-rare-and-mediumrare-burgers-8398336.html

why Westminster council....why?! Medium-Rare burgers are so divine.

tAOZ8.jpg
Bullshit decision. If used fresh, processed meat is no more dangerous done medium-rare than a steak.

I worked in an organic/local produce burger bar during university, and nothing beats eight ounces of medium rare beef with matured cheddar in a bun. Nothing.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Been suffering since yesterday with a horrific stomach bug that's left me in crippling agony. Not nice guys, not nice

I was on a weekend break there and woke up on Sunday feeling like 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. Massive headache, felt too hot with covers on, too cold without them, felt like I was going to shit myself and be sick at the same time and all sorts of great feelings to that effect.

But I've got some magical Japanese medicine that did the trick. Took a sachet with some warm water, slept for another two hours, and felt like a million bucks afterwards.

I've used the same medicine before and it works all the time. I figure I'll go to Japan in the summer to buy a lifetime supply of it. :p

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are Doctors over here not supposed to tell overweight people they're fat?
A doctor's opinion would be solicited advice. Here fat was not used for anything but as a judgement and insult. The waiter fucked up and was unprofessional. Calling someone fat isn't an auto-ban but most of the people on the first page fucked up because they broke the golden rule: don't be a dick.

Are Doctors over here not supposed to tell overweight people they're fat?

Doctors say and do the things they do with the purpose of bettering their patients health. Also, they'd say "obese" or some other more-neutral term- "fat" is widely considered as being aggressive.

Restaurant staff have no place to be making judgements about their customers, at least not to their face in such a callous manner anyway.

Bazza

WOW. That's a fucking bloodbath. Does a mod come out and explain why they're being so ruthless in that thread? Cos Jesus fuck that seems a disproportionate response. Poor BBQftw :(

So glad I didn't see that thread earlier may have ended up on the banned list.

A doctor's opinion would be solicited advice. Here fat was not used for anything but as a judgement and insult. The waiter fucked up and was unprofessional. Calling someone fat isn't an auto-ban but most of the people on the first page fucked up because they broke the golden rule: don't be a dick.

Is it not "don't be a dick to other members"? Because people get away with saying far worse about non-members on a daily basis. I don't think most of those comments on the first page merit a ban (although some probably do!)

I really think American PC culture is worse than ours, how the US based mods could think it was ban-worthy to say fat people are indeed fat, is not something UK people would understand easily I think.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
loving the backlash about the bans. Its great when a community stands together for what's right.

At the end of the day being fat is a choice. I myself eat only eat unhealthy food but make sure i get enough exercise to counter the calories. I don't judge though I'm not that sort of guy. I'l die around the same age as the fat person due to my awesome diet.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really think American PC culture is worse than ours, how the US based mods could think it was ban-worthy to say fat people are indeed fat, is not something UK people would understand easily I think.

The worst thing wasn't the PC side IMO but it was more where people were being banned for saying something funny. That's not cool. If a comment is legit funny then it should get a free pass, offensive or not.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
loving the backlash about the bans. Its great when a community stands together for what's right.

At the end of the day being fat is a choice. I myself eat only eat unhealthy food but make sure i get enough exercise to counter the calories. I don't judge though I'm not that sort of guy. I'l die around the same age as the fat person due to my awesome diet.

Ah but you're still young my friend. Give it ten years and you'll look like GabeN's more portly cousin. I've seen what you eat and the horrors contained therein.

Suairyu

Banned
The red gods have spoken:

jokes about obesity > intelligent criticism of the "using black facepaint = always racist regardless of context" paradigm

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Ah but you're still young my friend. Give it ten years and you'll look like GabeN's more portly cousin. I've seen what you eat and the horrors contained therein.

Perhaps getting fat would motivate me to take up jogging as a passtime. I kid, I'd change my diet soon as i started going way over 13 stone.

huh? I can understand an age restriction to prevent kids from getting those nasty illnesses but why make rare burgers more expensive? Prevent people from binge eating rare meat?

The price barrier would exist to separate establishments that know how to properly source and cook meat (who usually charge a greater price) from establishments with questionable quality of meat and cooking (who usually charge lower prices).

I can never see the government following such a rule, but it's a personal rule of mine: never eat rare/uncooked meat at a cheap place. Eating a rare burger at Hawksmoor? Of course. Eating a rare burger at the local kebab shop? No way.

Did they play that one song where the woman goes "uhhhhh-uhh-uhh-uhhhh" and then talks through the rest of it

I actually don't mind the XX but their last album was a bit of a snooze

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

There is a clear disconnect between US mods and non-US posters and it ends up hurting discussion because they aren't familiar with the use of language by non-Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom