• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT| Mad Stacks Beyond Thunderlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeside

so much hate for such a good band :(

Also, I played a WiiU the other day...kinda tempted to take the plunge, but I'm going to wait and see what Metroid, 3D Mario or other killer app comes out for it next year first.

Nintendoland is a pretty rad party game, though.

Chinner

Banned
they're good, but just sameness as fuck. they never changed he tuning or their guitars. they definetly own their sound, it's just repetitive.

Space Jam stuff is definitely forced, but that Persona 3 one is fucking great.

Can't stand Girl Talk. It's just too much. I can't enjoy it, it irritates me. That "Intergalactic"/"Robot Rock" is a favourite of mine, though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I watch Masterchef (so that answers your question Suairyu) only to find I missed a wacky night on GAF.

And for those thinking of getting a WiiU, ask yourself this; "could I have coped with a 3DS at launch?"

And for those thinking of getting a WiiU, ask yourself this; "could I have coped with a 3DS at launch?"

At least 3DS had the promise of a decent amount of good games on the way. Wii U is fucking BARREN once Pikmin 3 and 101 are out of the way. (Fuck knows when Bayo 2 will turn up.) It's actually worse.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
At least 3DS had the promise of a decent amount of good games on the way. Wii U is fucking BARREN once Pikmin 3 and 101 are out of the way. (Fuck knows when Bayo 2 will turn up.) It's actually worse.

The promises were so far ahead that some of the games are still not out yet (Luigi's Mansion 2). Nintendo went from one extreme to another. On the flip side Nintendoland and NSMBU are a better offering than Pilotwings Resort and I liked that game.

Miiverse is fun however. Makes Twitter look drab.

SmokyDave

The 3DS first year was so barren that cacti started growing on top of mine.

Meanwhile, the Vita has some killer games and approximately 5 people are interested, one of which actually thinks it's a Game Gear.

Suairyu

Banned
Well, all we really knew was a fancy port of two N64 games, that same fucking NSMB game with a new gimmick, and an actually new Mario game.

Which by my count, put the total upcoming "validating system purchase" 3DS games at a grand total of one.

So... Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 - WiiU is winning!

Meanwhile, the Vita has some killer games and approximately 5 people are interested, one of which actually thinks it's a Game Gear.
It has good games (I presume - outside of that Gravity anime game I haven't seen anything that doesn't exist in better form elsewhere), but not really any system validation titles. Also the sub-native res plague renders one of the system's greatest selling points moot.

It's a mess of a platform right now and you know it.

Miiverse for 3DS... that'll happen at some point, right? Not that my 3DS is every online, but it looks neat. And fitting for the system, too.

Anyway, Nintendo games getting delayed is just a way of life so I don't mind that they promised too far ahead, it's still better than having an empty release slate. Why the fuck would anyone buy a Wii U in 2013, I don't know. They need reasons for people to keep it in mind as a possible future purchase if they can't hook them right now.

Meanwhile, the Vita has some killer games

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, all we really knew was a fancy port of two N64 games, that same fucking NSMB game with a new gimmick, and an actually new Mario game.

Which by my count, put the total upcoming "validating system purchase" 3DS games at a grand total of one.

So... Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 - WiiU is winning!

There was MK7, 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising. Oh, and a new Animal Crossing game (I know, I know, the Wii will get its AC and MK games too, but footage > no footage). Plus Resi Revelations (which was exciting at the time, and still seems superior to its console fuck-up). So it still seemed way more exciting.

Mikeside

The 3DS first year was so barren that cacti started growing on top of mine.

Vita is possibly my favourite system ever. Such a shame people can't see the glory of it.

Having so much fun with Uncharted and Sonic Transformed right now, then it's time for Gravity Rush and more LBP Vita/Sound Shapes

Only thing I'd change (other than people ignoring it) would be to get a 128gb card in this beast.

They need reasons for people to keep it in mind as a possible future purchase if they can't hook them right now.

That's what they've done with me - I'm impressed with the tablet (didn't think I would be) and enjoyed Nintendoland. Sure it's not going to be a Next Gen Console like the other 2, but it'll surely be a lot of fun anyway.
So now I'm waiting for some killer Nintendo 1st party content on that sumbitch

I really wish it would be feasable to get a tablet controller for PC in the same way, but that'd be a nightmare of fragmenting the market etc. :(

SmokyDave

It has good games (I presume - outside of that Gravity anime game I haven't seen anything that doesn't exist in better form elsewhere), but not really any system validation titles. Also the sub-native res plague renders one of the system's greatest selling points moot.

It's a mess of a platform right now and you know it.
Being handheld is so important to me personally that 'better form elsewhere' is a moot point.

What I know is that it's the best handheld I've ever owned and the first truly viable portable console. I mean that sincerely. Having said that, my prior 'best handheld ever' was the PSP, so the Vita would need to drip acid onto my bollocks not to take the title.

Vita is possibly my favourite system ever. Such a shame people can't see the glory of it.

Having so much fun with Uncharted and Sonic Transformed right now, then it's time for Gravity Rush and more LBP Vita/Sound Shapes

Only thing I'd change (other than people ignoring it) would be to get a 128gb card in this beast.
I'd probably pay £150 for a 128gb card. My eyes would water, but in the long term I wouldn't regret it.

Suairyu

Banned
There was MK7, 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising. Oh, and a new Animal Crossing game (I know, I know, the Wii will get its AC and MK games too, but footage > no footage). Plus Resi Revelations (which was exciting at the time, and still seems superior to its console fuck-up). So it still seemed way more exciting.
Forgot about Mario Kart.

Kid Icarus looked generic and dull to me from its reveal, and reviews sort of backed me up there (as in, worth a look but not a system validator).

And as I said already, actually new Mario game.

So okay, that makes two games we knew were coming that validated owning the system.

So 3DS = WiiU.

Being handheld is so important to me personally that 'better form elsewhere' is a moot point.

What I know is that it's the best handheld I've ever owned and the first truly viable portable console. I mean that sincerely. Having said that, my prior 'best handheld ever' was the PSP, so the Vita would need to drip acid onto my bollocks not to take the title.
Judging by the initial showing, I'd say PSP was much better out the gate than Vita. I seriously think PSP has one of the greatest libraries of systems released ever. The Vita doesn't seem like it will at all right now.

I'd probably pay £150 for a 128gb card. My eyes would water, but in the long term I wouldn't regret it.
Good cheesecakes, man! I could buy 2x2TB portable harddrives for that!

Somewhere, the ghost of Gunpei Yokoi is reading SmokyDave's posts, and crying.

Forgot about Mario Kart.

Kid Icarus looked generic and dull to me from its reveal, and reviews sort of backed me up there (as in, worth a look but not a system validator).

And as I said already, actually new Mario game.

So okay, that makes two games we knew were coming that validated owning the system.

So 3DS = WiiU.

I never read any Uprising reviews (bar a couple, I saw Eurogamer's 9/10) but generic isn't an appropriate word for that game. It's really fun, in everything it does. It definitely validates my purchase, to put it that way. Really surprised by it. I don't think any of the media (both from press and Nintendo themselves) did that game justice.

Suairyu

Banned
I never read any Uprising reviews (bar a couple, I saw Eurogamer's 9/10) but generic isn't an appropriate word for that game. It's really fun, in everything it does. It definitely validates my purchase, to put it that way. Really surprised by it. I don't think any of the media (both from press and Nintendo themselves) did that game justice.
Fair enoughsky.

But, my point is, overall, it's not like the 3DS showed that much more promise that WiiU out of the gate. It's still not at a place where I'd buy it right now, either. Both of these new-gen Ninty platforms have been that appealing to me so far at all.

Though Luigi's Mansion in NintendoLand is amazing. If the WiiU were £100 I'd buy it just for that.

SmokyDave

Judging by the initial showing, I'd say PSP was much better out the gate than Vita. I seriously think PSP has one of the greatest libraries of systems released ever. The Vita doesn't seem like it will at all right now.

Good cheesecakes, man! I could buy 2x2TB portable harddrives for that!
Those PSP games have never looked as good as they do on the Vita!

To each his own, ultimately. If it dies tomorrow I've had my moneys worth. The real standouts for me have been the MGS Collection, NFS: Most Wanted & Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Then there's a lovely slew of second tier titles like Rayman Origins & Lumines, mixed with the 'PSN' style stuff like Mutant Blobs, Sound Shapes, Sine Mora & Jet Set Radio. Shockingly, I think Gravity Rush is one of the most overrated games I've played in recent memory. It bored the tits off me.

Still, for a handheld in its first year, I've bought and enjoyed a shit-ton of games.

If we're talking Wii U. Don't get one. At least not now. It's worse than PS3 in 2007 for features and ease of use and much worse in terms of games.

If Nintendo had expanded on the Chase Mii formula in Nintendo Land and turned it into a proper game with loads of modes, they may have had a killer app on their hands, the 1 vs many mini games are a lot of fun. However, the rest of Nintendo Land is shit, they really did phone it in. NSMBU is good, so far it makes absolutely no use of the controller, it is just a replica screen. However I have just done stage one, so maybe later in the game that changes, I don't know.

Didn't get ZombiU, I have heard good things, but I'm pretty bored of zombie games in general, but I might get it to support original content for the console.

Overall I really think Nintendo could do a lot better and the price is way too high for what you get.

Yeah, I got your point. I don't have much experience with console launches, but I remember the DS having a dodgy one (offset by the novelty of the thing), yet springing back big time by time its first Christmas came along. Advance Wars, Mario Kart, Kirby, Castlevania, Sonic and Nintendogs all in a few months was arrggggh so good. I was hoping for the 3DS to get a similar boost, but... nope. Not even almost 2 years later.

I'm mostly happy with it due to the quality of what I've played in the 5 months or so of owning it plus my long break from non-Pokemon handheld gaming before that. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting more from the 3DS by this point.

At least early next year is picking up the slack a little. Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing all look like great stuff. I wonder when Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney will show up...

As for Wii U, I'll pay attention once Zelda shows up. I'm all Mario'd out and Metroid can't be trusted.

Suairyu

Banned
Luigi's Mansion 2 is the only reason I haven't sold my 3DS
Dude, I love Luigi's Mansion, but that wasn't why the NintendoLand game is great. It's the true asymmetric multiplayer thing of the guy with the Gamepad being the only one who can see himself, the ghost.

It's the closest I've had to capturing the "this shit is so unique" feeling you used to get from some of the batshit amazing SEGA arcade games with complicated custom control schemes that couldn't be replicated at home. Remember Silent Scope with the LCD inside the rifle so you actually look into the scope to shoot? Or Final Furlong with its amazingly stupid awesome giant horse controller? It's that level of unique, arcade perfection.

Except it's actually in a home console, not an arcade, which amazes me.

But that's seriously the only pull I have to the WiiU right now, so I certainly won't be buying one for a long time.

Didn't get ZombiU, I have heard good things, but I'm pretty bored of zombie games in general, but I might get it to support original content for the console.
I wasn't impressed with it at the demo event. Felt like a generic shooter with fiddly touchscreen stuff, but in fairness survival horror isn't really suited to that kind of environment so maybe I just wasn't able to give it the chance it deserved.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd describe Kid Icarus as just good ol' fashioned fun. It doesn't try to the next big thing it just takes the ideas of what makes a videogame fun and rolls with it. However I can see some having trouble with the controls.

But hey, if you like Space Harrier (and who doesn't) the flight mode is great.

But for me, Mario Kart on the go is my cup of tea. A few grand prixs to and from work is my go to choice.

Mikeside

Dude, I love Luigi's Mansion, but that wasn't why the NintendoLand game is great. It's the true asymmetric multiplayer thing of the guy with the Gamepad being the only one who can see himself, the ghost.

It's the closest I've had to capturing the "this shit is so unique" feeling you used to get from some of the batshit amazing SEGA arcade games with complicated custom control schemes that couldn't be replicated at home. Remember Silent Scope with the LCD inside the rifle so you actually look into the scope to shoot? Or Final Furlong with its amazingly stupid awesome giant horse controller? It's that level of unique, arcade perfection.

But that's seriously the only pull I have to the WiiU right now, so I certainly won't be buying one for a long time.

I agree with you - read my posts above. I like Nintendoland

I'm talking about Luigi's Mansion 2, the 3DS game. My 3DS sits there waiting for it, because there's pretty much nothing else I want to play on the thing :(

Suairyu

Banned
I agree with you - read my posts above. I like Nintendoland

I'm talking about Luigi's Mansion 2, the 3DS game. My 3DS sits there waiting for it, because there's pretty much nothing else I want to play on the thing :(
I know you liked NintendoLand and you meant the 3DS game, dude. My post don't contradict that. I was saying it wasn't franchise attachment that was wot had me excited for the NintendoLand minigame.

I'd describe Kid Icarus as just good ol' fashioned fun. It doesn't try to the next big thing it just takes the ideas of what makes a videogame fun and rolls with it. However I can see some having trouble with the controls.

But hey, if you like Space Harrier (and who doesn't) the flight mode is great.

But for me, Mario Kart on the go is my cup of tea. A few grand prixs to and from work is my go to choice.

I'd play Mario Kart a lot more if they had a proper Quick Race option. Fucking BANANAS they left that out.

Speaking of Space Harrier, I pray the 3DS version of that makes it over here. Soon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I actually really like Nintendoland for the single player content, but I like arcade style games in general so the highscore aspect appeals to me. Also there is a surprising amount of content in it. Spoiler, you unlock more than what's initially available. Also the Miiverse integration adds an element that I haven't really experienced before, not even from all my years on message boards. Of course this feature isn't unique to Nintendoland, but it certainly made my experience with the game far more worthwhile.

But I like Nintendo so my liking for the game is a given.

I'd play Mario Kart a lot more if they had a proper Quick Race option. Fucking BANANAS they left that out.

Streetpass races are the next best thing. Not quite as customisable but at least it's four races not confined to the cup order.

Mikeside

I know you liked NintendoLand and you meant the 3DS game, dude. My post don't contradict that. I was saying it wasn't franchise attachment that was wot had me excited for the NintendoLand minigame.

Oh I see, sorry - I got a bit confused.

Yeah, the asymmetrical possibilities with the WiiU gamepad are great and well represented in Nintendoland. Really fun stuff.

Sony, do that with PS4, k? Everyone says you copy Nintendo all the time anyway, so you might aswell copy the first hardware thing they've done worth copying.

Next GAF meet needs to have an afterparty at somebody with a WiiU's house.

I wasn't impressed with it at the demo event. Felt like a generic shooter with fiddly touchscreen stuff, but in fairness survival horror isn't really suited to that kind of environment so maybe I just wasn't able to give it the chance it deserved.

This. The 1 vs many concept is what might save the Wii U. We all had a lot of fun playing the three 1 vs many mini games on NL, the rest are dross though. I really hope Nintendo exploit the 1 vs many aspect properly, because it has a lot of interesting applications, even in franchise games like Mario Kart there could be a 1 vs many mode with the single player having a number of advantages vs the many having pure numbers to beat him/her.

Hmm, maybe I'll borrow it off someone in that case. Not sure if anyone I know has it though.

Chinner

Banned
mario kart is basically the las Nintendo franchise I love. I think Nintendo has got really safe with their games but it'll be hard to shake my love for mario kart.

Despite that, not getting a Nintendo console for just one game.

Mikeside

I gotta say, I've always loved Mario Kart, but the 2 Sonic Racing games are fantastic. When Transformed comes out on PC, I don't think I'll need a new Mario Kart game for a few years

Streetpass races are the next best thing. Not quite as customisable but at least it's four races not confined to the cup order.

It's definitely my favourite use of StreetPass in a game yet (if only because literally every 3DS owner I've bumped into has the game) but it still has the issue of being 4 races instead of just the one. I miss Mission Mode too, but that's another story.

There's a 3DS Space Harrier?!

Time to brush off the cacti. Then watch 'em grow again while waiting for a localisation.

Remake of the original, yeah. SEGA's been going crazy with re-releases lately but that takes the biscuit. 3D After Burner and Outrun need to follow.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sony, do that with PS4, k? Everyone says you copy Nintendo all the time anyway, so you might aswell copy the first hardware thing they've done worth copying.

Well they kind of did with the PSP - PS3 connectivity since the idea dates back to the GBA - GCN connectivity.

Pacman Vs is basically the forebear to Luigi's Ghost Mansion.

Mikeside

streets of rage 2 and golden axe <3

Streets of Rage 2 was the go to game of my childhood.

Well they kind of did with the PSP - PS3 connectivity since the idea dates back to the GBA - GCN connectivity.

Pacman Vs is basically the forebear to Luigi's Ghost Mansion.

PSP-PS3 connectivity never really worked in the same way though. I'd love them to bring out a controller with a screen on PS4 (especially if you could use Vita as one too) so we could get some WiiU style async gameplay on a console which Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Quantic Dream develop for.

SmokyDave

Remake of the original, yeah. SEGA's been going crazy with re-releases lately but that takes the biscuit. 3D After Burner and Outrun need to follow.
Eh, I was hoping for a new one :(

If they're tweaking old stuff, my dream of Afterburner Climax Vita may materialise. Not likely though :(

Streets of Rage 2 was the go to game of my childhood.
It's been the go-to game of my life! I used to play the sound test while I cleaned my old flat!

I have a CRT in my man loft and the only thing connected is a Hong Kong Megadrive, hard wired for SCART. The cart in the top says Streets Of Rage 2 but it actually plays in the HK machine as Bare Knuckle 2. Techno wizardry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom