• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Hearthstone Beta in my inbox, goodbye productivity.

VehYTdz.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So it's NanoWriMo next month, and our Mikeside says he's doing it, only I don't see him posting in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697162

NaNoWriMo for the plebs among us is a challenge where you must write 50,000 words of a novel in the 30 days of November. It's terrifying, super hard work and it both makes you feel like a worthless piece of shit and an utter god.

Any other brave BritGAFfers doing it this year? I've done it twice and can't be arsed to do it again (nor can my ego take the hit again) but I really do think that anyone interested should do it. The sense of having done SOMETHING GREAT is overwhelming.

Hasney

I might do it, I've got to see how much work is coming up at the end of this month before I commit to it. I'm 14,000 words into a novel at the moment so it'll be the kick up the arse I need to finish it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I might do it, I've got to see how much work is coming up at the end of this month before I commit to it. I'm 14,000 words into a novel at the moment so it'll be the kick up the arse I need to finish it.

Technically you need to start it from scratch on Nov 1st, that 14k in the bank is cheating yo :p

Mikeside

So it's NanoWriMo next month, and our Mikeside says he's doing it, only I don't see him posting in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697162

NaNoWriMo for the plebs among us is a challenge where you must write 50,000 words of a novel in the 30 days of November. It's terrifying, super hard work and it both makes you feel like a worthless piece of shit and an utter god.

Any other brave BritGAFfers doing it this year? I've done it twice and can't be arsed to do it again (nor can my ego take the hit again) but I really do think that anyone interested should do it. The sense of having done SOMETHING GREAT is overwhelming.

I'm definitely doing it, but I don't think having another thread to post in will help me, so I'm going it alone this year. I'll be updating you guys, obviously.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think I know what I'd write about in 50,000 words.

Yeah I found this with my second year doing it. Started off with a fairly well planned story. By halfway I was pulling words right out of my arse, ended up taking a YA novel and gruesomely killing most of the main cast before turning the others into mechs and dragons and destroying everything I'd created. It was both cathartic, hilarious and took about 5000 words. Win!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm definitely doing it, but I don't think having another thread to post in will help me, so I'm going it alone this year. I'll be updating you guys, obviously.

Accountability, bro! I find that publicly shaming myself into doing something is good motivation. It's great posting in that thread with your daily wordcount and having everyone cheer you on. And when you win Cyan posts a brilliant retro gaming end screen as a prize for you.

edit: man, all this thinking about it is giving me the itch. I do have an idea for a terribly meta bullshit novel where I write about myself in an effort to dramatise my life and make living it more interesting (like a suburban version of the Invisibles or something). And I do slack a lot at work, I could probably shit out 2k a day no probs.

Damn

Hasney

Technically you need to start it from scratch on Nov 1st, that 14k in the bank is cheating yo :p

Nnnnnnggggg. I was going to get it up to 64k words dammit!

I'll see if inspiration hits for a new idea before then. Think I need a break from that one anyway, hate the last chapter I had written and need to fix that before I continue with it.

Mikeside

Accountability, bro! I find that publicly shaming myself into doing something is good motivation. It's great posting in that thread with your daily wordcount and having everyone cheer you on. And when you win Cyan posts a brilliant retro gaming end screen as a prize for you.

edit: man, all this thinking about it is giving me the itch. I do have an idea for a terribly meta bullshit novel where I write about myself in an effort to dramatise my life and make living it more interesting (like a suburban version of the Invisibles or something). And I do slack a lot at work, I could probably shit out 2k a day no probs.

Damn

Do it!

I'm already accountable to you guys and a lot of people on Facebook. It's all good brah.
I'll even post my daily words if anyone wants to read them

8bit

Knows the Score
I had a recurring dream that I thought would be an interesting seed for NaNoWriMo last week, but due to my parents visiting I couldn't get up and wander the house for some paper to jot down notes. All I have left is the phrase Skinhead Moonstomp embedded in my mind and no idea about the details.

I'm doing that writing thing, currently joining dots between ideas.

If it's anything like I've written before it's going to be dark as fuck.

Also I have a Tweeest planned that'll put M Night Shyamalan to shame

SmokyDave

CHEEZMO™;86181463 said:
Football sucks.
Incredibly true.
England flag is ugly.
Despicably false.

Aww bless. Center Parcs is awesome, haven't been for a while but I frickin' love that place, you'll have a blast. And after baby is born you can go somewhere exotic and she can enjoy cocktails on the beach! Good luck dude, hope it all goes swimmingly for you both.
Thank you very much! The last arrangements got sorted last night so now Mrs S is joining me on the 'calm but excited' train. It's going to be a cracking wedding.

Busty Cranston.
Without hesitation.

SKINNER!

Banned

Tried last year but failed miserably after the first week mostly due to writer's block and motivation (Mike, it was that hi-tech heist story I was telling you about at Loading). I could continue on with that idea but based on what I got up to this year I'm tempted to try a new fresh story this time round. Just need to come up with a story structure otherwise it'll be 50,000 words that leads to nowhere.

Symphonia

Banned
I've got the day off so I'm gonna watch a film or two, play some GTAO, pig out and then I have my little girls parents evening tonight.

what will you write it about?

Well I have a story I've been meaning to write for a long time, but I'm not sure I want to use it for NaNoWriMo. But then it may give me the kick I need to actually write it, I can always go back and edit when it's over.

If I didn't use it I have no idea. Suggestions?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just reading through that Kendrick Lamar thread. I think Hip Hop GAF might actually be as bad as popGAF in terms of the nonsensical hyperbole they post, and the weird little heads and shit.

And I don't think I can respect a music community who are constantly hyping the same 5 or so artists. In comparison the altrock scene is so varied and diverse.

I'm sure I'm missing the point, and maybe in hip hop popular really does = best. But I doubt it.

This is my elitist bullshit post for the day, bought to you by post-lunch lethargy.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Just reading through that Kendrick Lamar thread. I think Hip Hop GAF might actually be as bad as popGAF in terms of the nonsensical hyperbole they post, and the weird little heads and shit.

And I don't think I can respect a music community who are constantly hyping the same 5 or so artists. In comparison the altrock scene is so varied and diverse.

I'm sure I'm missing the point, and maybe in hip hop popular really does = best. But I doubt it.

This is my elitist bullshit post for the day, bought to you by post-lunch lethargy.

Kendrick dropped a godly album (Good kidd maad city) So he deserves all the respect he gets, he rid to the top with pure talent and not just featuring on pop artists shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0

He's so different and does pulls it off perfectly. Give the entire album a spin and you will be sold.

It mostly goes over my head too, but it's been the way for years that the rap game is super competitive. I don't think scrambling to constantly undermine others and become/push your favourite as "the best" is conductive to a healthy, varied music scene (although hip hop manages that regardless), but that's just the way it is.

It's probably fun for those involved, at least.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Kendrick dropped a godly album (Good kidd maad city) So he deserves all the respect he gets, he rid to the top with pure talent and not just featuring on pop artists shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0

He's so different and does pulls it off perfectly. Give the entire album a spin and you will be sold.

He's alright I guess but my mind remains disappointingly unblown. Sounds like slow jam hip hop, like silk sheets and pricey booze.

Prefer my shit a bit more fun and old skool (<- also aware this is not really old school, but it's got that bouncy flow)

edit: but that tune that lamar is on in GTA is great. Something about Shine was it?

Kentpaul

He's alright I guess but my mind remains disappointingly unblown. Sounds like slow jam hip hop, like silk sheets and pricey booze.

Prefer my shit a bit more fun and old skool (<- also aware this is not really old school, but it's got that bouncy flow)

edit: but that tune that lamar is on in GTA is great. Something about Shine was it?

The kendrick tunes on gta were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjlFqgRbICY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DszIoEP8OAo

Even the best gaming devs on earth appreciate how good kendrick is.

NinjaBoiX

Well I have a story I've been meaning to write for a long time, but I'm not sure I want to use it for NaNoWriMo.
That story sounds so crazy! Do it Musha, you'll be a shoe in.

Choice Jed! Love me some MF Doom. Danger Mouse is OK as well I suppose, but it's all about Doom!

MF Doom - Hoe Cakes

ZUPA!

Kentpaul

I really hate that Fuck God song, it plays all the time and it's catchy in the worst way. But ILLuminate is brilliant.

You have miss heard the lyrics, It's "fuck that" not "fuck god"!

Good classics on gta V too, Best soundtrack ever for a video game.

Geto Boys - My Mind Playing Tricks On Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutXyPEEbQs

Yellowman - Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nh5CapYICg

Why am i on the internet? I'm making a dash to my front room to play GTA V! 30 grand or so away from getting my first apartment inside the city.

I'm in Chelmsford, I need a PSU removed and then another one added, plus an additional graphics card added. There's no way I can do it unfortunately.

Just looked on route planner, it would take me an hour to get to you, not including traffic. Then an hour home. Sorry bro, I think it's just a little too far. Can't you get family/friends to help out?

That story sounds so crazy! Do it Musha, you'll be a shoe in.

Yeah but I told you how much that story means to me. I don't know yet, still undecided.

SKINNER!

Banned
You have miss heard the lyrics, It's "fuck that" not "fuck god"!

ha, I remember reading about some folk mishearing it as "Fuck thought!" which somewhat made sense.

Kendrick's ADHD is so great to listen to when you arrive into your house after a hard day's work. Such a soothing beat. Love it.

But HiiiPower and No Makeup will always be my fav K.dot tracks primarily because of how blunt and down to earth they are. Fuck, I want to listen to Section.80 now

He's on 2 (or possible 3) songs on GTA 5.

Just looked on route planner, it would take me an hour to get to you, not including traffic. Then an hour home. Sorry bro, I think it's just a little too far. Can't you get family/friends to help out?

Yeah but I told you how much that story means to me. I don't know yet, still undecided.

Don't worry about it, I may have a friend helping me but if that fails through I'll throw money at a local computer builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom