• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
21... Im 22 in a fortnight though >_>
Pfft, she's legal, man, and there's only a few years between ya.

clint-nod.gif

At the expense of possibly alienating everyone here, seeing people in fursuits personally gives me an insight into why people commit war crimes

Vashetti

Banned
I don't know if any of you watch X-Factor, but Luke Friend is amazing and it makes me sad that the public aren't supporting him.

jimbor

Banned
Hinted quite a bit, but apparently not enough. She was comfortable talking about private stuff because she thought of me as a good friend, but nothing more.

Sucks mane but an important lesson learned. Straight up tell the person next time, less painful and more honest for all in the long run.

Not watching much live TV is fantastic. You virtually escape all mentions of X-factor, Strictly and sport.

I find people who watch TV as a regular thing odd in itself, like a bit outdated now with the internet where you can just watch what you want rather than whatever is on the box. iPlayer, 4OD, streaming, etc. The only reality show I would willingly watch is The Apprentice, because through all that asshole simulation you can learn some good lessons on assertiveness and presentation. I'd have to be in a prison cell to consider watching the other shows.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I find people who watch TV as a regular thing odd in itself, like a bit outdated now with the internet where you can just watch what you want rather than whatever is on the box. iPlayer, 4OD, streaming, etc. The only reality show I would willingly watch is The Apprentice, because through all that asshole simulation you can learn some good lessons on assertiveness and presentation. I'd have to be in a prison cell to consider watching the other shows.

I get what you mean but I think there is still a place for watching certain things live (sports don't count, they obviously function that way). The ceremony of sitting and watching LOST every week at the same time was fantastic. Similarly, I'm sure as hell watching Sherlock live. Some things are just 'events' and catch-up services can't quite replicate that.

EDIT: Though I love the creative approach that these services provide for the process of viewing TV. Netflix releasing all the HoC/AD episodes at once was brilliant. I think there is a place for both approaches and am glad that there is the flexibility nowadays.

Tbh I'm certainly the exception as opposed to the rule. There's masses of older people, middle aged people, and even young people who don't want to/can't use internet TV services. Most of them are just doing what they've always done. All this talk of live TV dying in the next ten years is utter horsecrap. There will in ten years though be a much wider adoption of non live TV though, and people will watch different shows in a myriad of ways.

I get what you mean but I think there is still a place for watching certain things live (sports don't count, they obviously function that way). The ceremony of sitting and watching LOST every week at the same time was fantastic. Similarly, I'm sure as hell watching Sherlock live. Some things are just 'events' and catch-up services can't quite replicate that.

EDIT: Though I love the creative approach that these services provide for the process of viewing TV. Netflix releasing all the HoC/AD episodes at once was brilliant. I think there is a place for both approaches and am glad that there is the flexibility nowadays.

I never really got into the whole thing of watching something live. Many of the shows I love, were when I saw them as a marathon or later when they were put up online. Having to turn on the TV, wade through some 10 min of garbage before a favourite show is on, then have the constant ad breaks, is just not conducive to a fun watching experience for me. I'm in no rush to watch the program. My tastes don't align with most anyway, so I won't be running into watercooler moments with colleagues the next day over Breaking Bad or It's Always Sunny and such.

It's funny, any time I hear about X Factor, Strictly, or whatever big tv thing is through now Gogglebox. They watch the crap so I don't have to, while the posh couple seem like the most inspirational people ever.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When is something consider reality TV and when is it just a competition? I mean is Masterchef considered reality TV? If it is then it is hands down the best one.

I never really got into the whole thing of watching something live. Many of the shows I love, were when I saw them as a marathon or later when they were put up online. Having to turn on the TV, wade through some 10 min of garbage before a favourite show is on, then have the constant ad breaks, is just not conducive to a fun watching experience for me. I'm in no rush to watch the program. My tastes don't align with most anyway, so I won't be running into watercooler moments with colleagues the next day over Breaking Bad or It's Always Sunny and such.

It's funny, any time I hear about X Factor, Strictly, or whatever big tv thing is through now Gogglebox. They watch the crap so I don't have to, while the posh couple seem like the most inspirational people ever.

The posh couple from Gogglebox run a B and B and were featured on an episode of Four in a Bed. If you love some posh drunks, well worth a watch.

Come Dine With Me is the best, man. Especially when they get an A grade shithead amongst a bunch of normal people.

Come Dine With Me isn't a cooking competition though. Especially as a lot of them cheat and pretend to have cooked stuff from scratch when they've just bought it.

Mikeside

When is something consider reality TV and when is it just a competition? I mean is Masterchef considered reality TV? If it is then it is hands down the best one.

I love Masterchef because it doesn't focus on the drama of giving people impossible tasks and watching them fail (or giving them reasonable tasks and watching them fail) as much as other similar shows, instead I find it's based on people who are a bit more up to the task & it's more about enjoying their successes.

Isn't it funny how much reality TV is basically just there so you can watch people fuck up in various ways? It's the main thing that puts me off. I'd love to see more positive reality TV.

NinjaBoiX

New Burial EP in 2 weeks! That's put me in a good mood for the day.
Aww yiss! I was just listening to Untrue last night. Endorphin, Etched Headplate and Raver are god tier.
Truth, although I am partial to the Bake Off too.
Cooking shows are sort of their own thing. They are the classiest talent shows.
Yeah, they transcend the mire of banality that is reality TV.

Nom nom.
Come Dine With Me is the best, man. Especially when they get an A grade shithead amongst a bunch of normal people.
The narrator is genius, he makes the show.

SteveWD40

I love Masterchef because it doesn't focus on the drama of giving people impossible tasks and watching them fail (or giving them reasonable tasks and watching them fail) as much as other similar shows, instead I find it's based on people who are a bit more up to the task & it's more about enjoying their successes.

Isn't it funny how much reality TV is basically just there so you can watch people fuck up in various ways? It's the main thing that puts me off. I'd love to see more positive reality TV.

My only issue with Masterchef, was when they did stuff like make them cook in an old castle and then run with the food through the courtyard... like wtf does that have to do with cooking? That's Krypton factor shit.

SKINNER!

Banned

A show that gathers random - yet skilled - people and puts them up to several challenging tasks in a test to prove if they are good at what they do and are capable of capturing the nation's hearts. = Competition Reality TV (see Masterchef, Apprentice, Ultimate Fighter, That baking one with dem fit burds)

A show that focuses on people's mundane problems in a non scripted (often fake) manner in an effort to educate and entertain the viewer at the same time. can sometimes be in chatshow format = Daytime Reality TV (see Supernanny, Judge Judy, Jeremy Kyle, that cleaning one with the dat fat burd)

A show that focuses on celebrity's mundane problems in a non scripted (often fake) manner for no reason other than to stroke pathetic celebrity's inflating ego = Reality TV (see Geordie Shore, any socialite "Let's follow Ozzy/Paris Hilton/Kim Kardashian-ish" show).

A show that encourages viewers to empathise and route for people from less-fortunate backgrounds while simultaneously exploiting people with facial disfigurements, mental difficulties and social issues solely for entertainment purposes. Sometimes cleverly disguised as Competition reality TV = Saturday Night Shit ITV Reality TV (see X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Beauty and the Geek, Big Brother, any MTV dating/couple reality tv show)

A show that gathers new average boring people every week and puts them through the same formulaic tasks. Flamboyant host is a must = Game show.

SmokyDave

Whens the BritGAF version of Come Dine With Me happening?

Come And Eat Domino's 'Round At My House.

Sounds good.

"Well, I wasn't sure about the Pepperoni Passion, but when Dave opened the box it did smell good. His paper plates were a little too small however. 8/10".

SKINNER!

Banned
"I thoroughly enjoyed Kentpaul's Indian Takeaway pizza and the chilli sauce added a zest of flavour that complimented the bottle of "Buckfast" really well. Unfortunately, I can barely remember the rest of the night after I passed out while urinating in his bathroom. 10/10"

New Burial EP in 2 weeks! That's put me in a good mood for the day.

Oh c'mon, give us an LP already! It's weird to switch out one EP (Truant/Rough Sleeper) for another (Street Halo/Kindred) in the car because they're short :p

Positive reality TV? Haha, that's not what gets the numbers. Someone here said they liked Come Dine With Me. That show is obviously not related to cooking and is basically, let's get some prats and conjure some faux drama. Most of these reality shows are the modern version of circus freak shows, since those aren't ethical anymore. They're just cruel. There's a good quote in this movie about them. They're meant for us to feel superior to them, see them make a shit out of themselves and make us laugh.

Beauty and the Geek

There's been quite the surge of geek-related dating shows. I quite liked Geek Love (speed dating at Comic Con; a GAFer got on it and there was some drama hehe), and right now on Channel 4 with just one episode, Geeks. No silly beauties to compare to, just both parties on the same level.

Mikeside

Oh c'mon, give us an LP already! It's weird to switch out one EP (Truant/Rough Sleeper) for another (Street Halo/Kindred) in the car because they're short :p

Positive reality TV? Haha, that's not what gets the numbers. Someone here said they liked Come Dine With Me. That show is obviously not related to cooking and is basically, let's get some prats and conjure some faux drama. Most of these reality shows are the modern version of circus freak shows, since those aren't ethical anymore. They're just cruel. There's a good quote in this movie about them. They're meant for us to feel superior to them, see them make a shit out of themselves and make us laugh.

There's been quite the surge of geek-related dating shows. I quite liked Geek Love (speed dating at Comic Con; a GAFer got on it and there was some drama hehe), and right now on Channel 4 with just one episode, Geeks. No silly beauties to compare to, just both parties on the same level.

To be fair, Come Dine With Me is a huge guilty pleasure for me.
So there definitely is a part of me that loves watching douchebags try to one-up each other.
You'd think I'd get enough of that at work, but there's no cheeky commentary at work, other than the one running through my head.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I never got the whole thing about geeks. It's such a broad term that the idea that two apparent geeks could get on automatically is just weird. If someone starting spewing at me about Star Wars I wouldn't know what to say. Well I do, I'd say Episode I is the best one as an instant way to kill the conversation stone dead. On the flipside I doubt they'd be interested in me explaining the Zelda timeline.

SKINNER!

Banned

Haven't seen Geeks or Geek Love so I can't comment on them but goodness me was Beauty and the Geek just terrible. Sure, it's great to see some of them improve their confidence and get the girls but it kinda bugs me how they're initially put in a negative spotlight from the get-go just because of their interests or how they acted (EDIT: or the show deliberately makes them look unappealing). Could you imagine using the format of the shows in other scenarious?

Scenario 1: Grab a bunch of insecure church/mosque/synagogue guys and put them in a mansion with playboy bunnies. Let's see if one of them gets laid!

Scenario 2: Grab a bunch of insecure obese women and put them in a mansion with rugby players. Let's see if one of them gets laid!

Scenario 3: Grab a bunch of female and male ex-convicts and put them in a mansion with coptic monks and nuns. Let's yadda yadda yadda.

It's goddamn pathetic.

I never got the whole thing about geeks. It's such a broad term that the idea that two apparent geeks could get on automatically is just weird. If someone starting spewing at me about Star Wars I wouldn't know what to say. Well I do, I'd say Episode I is the best one as an instant way to kill the conversation stone dead. On the flipside I doubt they'd be interested in me explaining the Zelda timeline.

You've hit on a good point here.

All of my friends who are not geeks are surprised when I tell them I'm not really into Doctor Who for example. Just because someone is a geek or a nerd or whatever lable they or society needs to apply, doesn't mean they are going to like everything associated with being a geek or a nerd. Some people don't get this.

Did anybody ever watch Coach Trip?

It was similar to Come Dine With Me although the psycopath level was toned down a little and instead of cooking to impress, they're stuck on a coach going from one unappealing activity to the other then engaging in visciously tactical voting to keep an established clique together and make sure new people get sent home.

jimbor

Banned
Did anybody ever watch Coach Trip?

It was similar to Come Dine With Me although the psycopath level was toned down a little and instead of cooking to impress, they're stuck on a coach going from one unappealing activity to the other then engaging in visciously tactical voting to keep an established clique together and make sure new people get sent home.

Coach Trip was great. BritGAF version of Coach Trip would be fucking amazing, Chinner could break up the clique.

Lirlond

I'm right into Video games and anime more than any other form of geek culture(Though I love a wee marvel film). I guess video games is the broad underlier though, since most of the time anyone who is a 'geek' is into video games AND other stuff.

afoni

Banned
I'm right into Video games and anime more than any other form of geek culture(Though I love a wee marvel film). I guess video games is the broad underlier though, since most of the time anyone who is a 'geek' is into video games AND other stuff.

I'm not big into much other than videogames, really. I watch anime and I write for a website about anime, but I could live without anime. Games are something I kind of can't get rid of and will probably be playing forever. The whole idea of a 'geek' has been blurred somewhat recently anyway thanks to the fact that it's become fashionable to be a geek, so people will wear clothes with the word 'geek' or 'nerd' on them just so that everyone knows that they're part of a fad. Hayley Williams even did it in a music video, the daft bint.

I blame Doctor Who and tumblr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom