• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan

I've probably always been classed as a geek. I fit some of the physical stereotypes for being a geek, or at least what used to be a geek and I definitely fit some of the other stereotypes. Seeing clubs do "Geeks & Nerds" nights kill me a little inside, because none of them are even remotely close to being that.

When I was working in the schools, I was always called a geek by the students because I could fix the shit they broke, stop them from playing shitty games and generally, if they pissed me off, then they would have some sort of backfire by this - disabling account, blocking internet access, trolling them whilst they're playing a game by sending macro commands to their computer so it permanently sent their character to the left... that sort of shit.

I probably would class myself as a geek, I like games, I love computers, I attend gaming conventions and probably would attend computer conventions too. I'm not the typical geek who loves star wars and star trek, in fact I refuse to watch them both because they don't interest me, and that seems to piss a lot of people off (mainly geeks) but I don't see why I should watch something I know I won't enjoy just because of a stereotype.

NinjaBoiX

I feel like a filthy dilettante on this forum at times.

I'm not into anime, comics, wrestling, figures, trading cards, sci-fi shows, Pokemanz, any of that stuff. I play games occasionally, but I'm not even into that all that much anymore. Obviously I like my movies and TV, but even there I feel like I don't watch the "right" shows/flicks for GAF, BB aside.

I nerd out about music on here, but that's about it.

I'm not into anime, comics, figures, trading cards, sci-fi shows, Pokemanz, any of that stuff. I play games occasionally, but I'm not even into that all that much anymore. Obviously I like my movies and TV, but even there I feel like I don't watch the "right" shows/flicks for GAF, BB aside.

Speaking of, have you read the other ones I loaned you yet? If not do you think you're likely to? If not can I have them back?

Trying to keep an eye on my shit, I lend far too much stuff out. I still can't remember who has my box set of My So-Called Life

afoni

Banned
F2nyKw0.jpg

tell me you watch big bang theory and enjoy the accurate stereotypes of autistic nerds one more time

Jordan

I like Big Bang Theory... Sheldon makes me laugh. I know it's wrong, and I shouldn't... but I do. I wish I had the money for comix

I'm not into anime, comics, wrestling, figures, trading cards, sci-fi shows, Pokemanz, any of that stuff. I play games occasionally, but I'm not even into that all that much anymore. Obviously I like my movies and TV, but even there I feel like I don't watch the "right" shows/flicks for GAF, BB aside.

I remember talking about football way earlier in this thread and being met by resounding silence until Jed more or less said "ew".

B-but who can I discuss the achievments and future challenges of Arsenal with? ;_;

Aside from footeh I have to actively hide my closet geekyness with local friends.

Imagine feeling out of place in two contrasting social circles.

afoni

Banned
I don't really have any social circles outside of the internet. I'm just a dude who flits about everywhere and never stays in one place.

NinjaBoiX

Speaking of, have you read the other ones I loaned you yet? If not do you think you're likely to? If not can I have them back?
Yeah, I'll bring them down with me.

Have you and Andy seen Band of Brothers? It's a 10 part miniseries following a group of soldiers in WW2 from training right through the war, and it's amazing, he'd love it. I think you would too, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I've got the bluray set if you guys want a lend.
Is the meet this Saturday
Yes mate.
I like Big Bang Theory... Sheldon makes me laugh. I know it's wrong, and I shouldn't... but I do. I wish I had the money for comix
I watch Big Bang too, I ain't even mad.

I'll admit that it isn't actually all that funny (certainly nowhere near as funny as the canned laughter would suggest) but I find it entertaining and mildly amusing.

I like it, but I absolutely see why people don't.

Yeah, I'll bring them down with me.

Have you and Andy seen Band of Brothers? It's a 10 part miniseries following a group of soldiers in WW2 from training right through the war, and it's amazing, he'd love it. I think you would too, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I've got the bluray set if you guys want a lend.

I've not, it's not my sort of thing, I'm really not a fan of anything War based. I'm sure Andy would like it, but I don't he'd get a chance to watch it, plus I think it's on Sky On Demand.

Thanks anyway.

SteveWD40

Same, gaming wise I now own: a macbook, a Vita, an iPad and iPhone. I won't be getting anything else this gen, I don't have the time or the energy, I am very happy with the gaming these devices offer me (pretty much Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Monster Hunter and Indies).

I don't watch much TV, since Breaking Bad, the only sport I care about is MMA...

Yup, abeit one that has been removed from the box.

Maybe, I should have asked.

I've just bought a real Christmas tree and spunked £80 on various decorations :|

If you don't want pine needles all over the floor, put a bit of honey in the water tray thingy. Acts as a kind of replacement sap, you'll have much less cleaning up to do at the end of December.

NinjaBoiX

Just been to the olds for lunch, they gave me a Crimbo tree for the house. We weren't going to bother, but you don't look a gift horse in the mouth right?

BYnRAMB.jpg

Ho ho ho!

Of course, we still need to acquire baubles and tinsel. Or maybe we'll just leave it plain, buck the trend.
Football is for dweebs.
Damn straight.
You guys realize you'll have to deal with drunken Cyanide, right?
You should get on the marching powder dude, surely only good things will come of it.
I've not, it's not my sort of thing, I'm really not a fan of anything War based. I'm sure Andy would like it, but I don't he'd get a chance to watch it, plus I think it's on Sky On Demand.

Thanks anyway.
Furry muff.

SmokyDave

Nice gif choice Ninja.

Cy, I just realised I never sent you my details yesterday. Sorry man, I'll get on that later.

WHY CAN'T I GO HOME YET?! Need for Speed ain't gonna play itself :(

Reknoc

I don't put any decorations up, too much effort for such a brief period of time. Every one else does such a great job that I'd rather just appreciate theirs

until they kick me out of their house

StayDead

I don't really have any social circles outside of the internet. I'm just a dude who flits about everywhere and never stays in one place.

I don't really have any social circles outside of t he internet. I'm just a dude who doesn't like a lot of things that other people do and never fits in anywhere :p

SmokyDave

Why would you not bother putting a Christmas tree up???

I have at least 2 up in the flat and 1 up at work.
Because my cat fucks it up in a matter of minutes.

I look forward to the annual battle between Mrs S and Sylvester as she builds it up and he tears it down. Neither of 'em will give an inch.

SKINNER!

Banned
Damn, had the money to splash on a PS4 bundle but decided to put it aside for a rainy day. Fuck, younger me would've slapped sensible me silly right about now.

Because my cat fucks it up in a matter of minutes.

I look forward to the annual battle between Mrs S and Sylvester as she builds it up and he tears it down. Neither of 'em will give an inch.

That's a fair point, but at least you try, it's not like you don't even bother. I'm talking about the people who just don't bother putting a tree up because they can't be arsed/hate Christmas etc

Damn, had the money to splash on a PS4 bundle but decided to put it aside for a rainy day. Fuck, younger me would've slapped sensible me silly right about now.

you'll be thanking sensible you when you need that money

NinjaBoiX

Why would you not bother putting a Christmas tree up???
It's not they we're against the idea in principle, it's was just decided that we wouldn't bother buying a tree out of the budget for the sake of one Christmas. Chances are we won't be living together next year, so it seemed a bit extravagant.

Also, male mentality dictates that we care not for superficial decoration, schmaltzy Yuletide traditions and twinkly lights. It's all very nice I suppose, but meh. As Reknoc said, I'd rather appreciate the efforts of those willing to go all out than look at our skinny, dying, poorly decorated tree with feelings of inadequacy.

Plus, everyone will be with their respective families on the actual day.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Gotta agree with Ninja. I do not care at all about Christmas decorations. I only participate and bother to spend effort with them in order to appease the women in my life.
If you don't want pine needles all over the floor, put a bit of honey in the water tray thingy. Acts as a kind of replacement sap, you'll have much less cleaning up to do at the end of December.
Does this actually work?

It's not they we're against the idea in principle, it's was just decided that we wouldn't bother buying a tree out of the budget for the sake of one Christmas. Chances are we won't be living together next year, so it seemed a bit extravagant.

Also, male mentality dictates that we care not for superficial decoration, schmaltzy Yuletide traditions and twinkly lights. It's all very nice I suppose, but meh. As Reknoc said, I'd rather appreciate the efforts of those willing to go all out than look at our skinny, dying, poorly decorated tree with feelings of inadequacy.

Plus, everyone will be with their respective families on the actual day.

These excuses don't wash with me. You can get a tree fairly cheap from Argos, some of them even come already decorated. And neither me or Andy spend Christmas at the flat, but that's not the point, it's nice to feel all Christmassy for ages before Christmas day.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and Andy? We really, really love Christmas and everything about it, and we want that feeling to last as long as possible so we put up decorations, watch Christmas films, have Smooth Xmas on the radio and really get in to the whole thing.

Edit: ^^^ See, Steve knows the score

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I saw a PS4 box out on the street with the rubbish.

Why do people do such a thing to gaming packaging. ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom