• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
haha that sounds amazing, that is why MGO2 was so good. Only way for Konami to redeem themselves is for MGS5 to have a MGO3... or 4? I dunno if the Peace Walker one even counts. Maybe I should try it out, hopefully it has some weird germans that seem to still play obscure MP games like Riddick did.

There are still a few on 360. It isn't as good, the levels are tiny. No SOP system either. I can't believe that one of most intuitive MP feedback systems I've ever had the pleasure of using has only been stolen by one other game (the last Ghost Recon, I believe).

Reknoc

There are still a few on 360. It isn't as good, the levels are tiny. No SOP system either. I can't believe that one of most intuitive MP feedback systems I've ever had the pleasure of using has only been stolen by one other game (the last Ghost Recon, I believe).

ah thats a shame, understandable though, it was a PSP game. Deathmatch was probably only in as a dick around with your friends mode when you're done with co-op.

SoP being in MGO made me think of how interesting killstreaks would be, instead of a nuke you turn into Ocelot and automatically win. Then I realised I thought of killstreaks as interesting and felt a little dirty.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Then I realised I thought of killstreaks as interesting and felt a little dirty.

hEF063EB6

Reknoc

THE OWL HAS SPOKEN

COO-- I mean, cool. I'll check it out, ta!

:(

I would check it out in order they did it since their recording and stuff gets much better over time: MGS3 (includes MG1 & 2) > MGS2 > MGS1 (plus some superior twin snakes cutscenes) > MGS4 > Peace Walker

I'd also give a warning about some low brow goon humour sometimes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I Kill Giants is mint.

Saying that, the only other comic I've read is Preacher, so I perhaps don't have the best frame of reference!

That is an excellent frame of reference. Preacher is a top quality, 'Stone Cold Says So' classic in my house.

You'd probably like Joe the Barbarian then. It has a broadly similar (though sufficiently different) set-up as I Kill Giants, although it lacks Barbara's barbed 'wit' and it doesn't give you the urge to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Reknoc

never played the ac!d games :( wanted to pick up the second one with those weird ass goggles that came with it but never got around to it. my PSP is dead and they're not on PSN so oh well.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mornin' true believers

So that's two comics I read yesterday that got me teary. First 'Joe the Barbarian' then 'I Kill Giants.' Jebus.

nothing-wrong-with-me2.gif

Finish it up with some WE3 to totally drain your tear testicles.

I need to re-read Joe, I only read it as it was coming out and the monthly schedule means you lose a lot of the geography of the house. Love Sean Murphy's art though, he's one of my faves these days.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Finish it up with some WE3 to totally drain your tear testicles.

I need to re-read Joe, I only read it as it was coming out and the monthly schedule means you lose a lot of the geography of the house. Love Sean Murphy's art though, he's one of my faves these days.

I love We3. Homeward Bound... WITH GUNS. Poor rabbit.

Ah, Joe is great. If they ever made it into the film it deserves to be, it would rank up with Dark Crystal, Never Ending Story, Return to Oz etc.

Chaak the Juggler FTW!

SKINNER!

Banned
never played the ac!d games :( wanted to pick up the second one with those weird ass goggles that came with it but never got around to it. my PSP is dead and they're not on PSN so oh well.

Nobody has. I've yet to meet one person that has completed and enjoyed Metal Gear Ac!d. Shit is bizarre at first but once you got the hang of it it's engaging and challenging.
Still got the second MGA at home with the goggles still sealed. Hopefully get to play it when I'm travelling. Love my PSP to death. Still use it every now and then. Had Chrono Trigger and Pheonix Wright been released on the PSP instead of the DS then I wouldn't have bothered with a DS back in the day.

SteveWD40

The best MGS game is Peace Walker back when it was for PS3, forget the HD version, imagine that game without needing to pander to mobile (small maps etc...), but with all the depth and customization.

Reknoc

The best MGS game is Peace Walker back when it was for PS3, forget the HD version, imagine that game without needing to pander to mobile (small maps etc...), but with all the depth and customization.

thats what makes peace walker so good though. it was a proper-ass metal gear solid on PSP that had controls that actually worked like portable ops, more interesting maps than portable ops, and actually made capturing guards an enjoyable experience unlike portable ops. dumb story though.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just finished PW last week on PS3. I thought it was pretty good but was probably the weakest (to me) of all the MGS games. I loved collecting soldiers, that was fun, but things like the bitesized missions and lack of checkpointing made it a bitty, unfulfilling experience. The boss fights are probably interesting in co-op, but in SP they were boring exercises in holding down the fire button. The one major thing I did like about it was that it's kinda a training game on how to play MGS properly, the game very quickly acclimates you on how to play it properly in a way that none of the other games managed so well.

I thought the story was alright, but it was a weird midpoint between the 'realism' of 5 and the balls-out stupidity of the rest of the series. And it sure as hell wanted to make sure you got the idea about nuclear deterrence!

edit: what was very interesting to me was that I played GZ first, and listened to all the audio tapes. And so for the entire way through PW I was waiting for
Paz's betrayal that never came. Were Paz's logs in GZ a surprise to big PW fans? Or were they in PW somewhere already?

Reknoc

The sad thing is, the bitesized missions were still more game than MGS4 and 2 provided combined. having played it on both while the HD version looks like ridiculously good considering the system it was originally on, the structure is just better suited to small bursts of play on a commute or whatever. Wish they did a proper upgrade for vita with online and proper controls.

speaking of the weirdness of the series. MGS5 has a helluva job convincing me that big boss, ocelot and kaz are character i should take at all seriously. even when he was the main villain big boss was still kinda dumb

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I've had to review quite a lot of junior work now and I have decided that two things irritate me (in addition to everything else that is remotely youthful or energetic and/or is not communicated by hand-written letter)

1. The incorrect use of myself. 'Myself' is not a formal alternative to 'me'. It is a reflexive pronoun. Google it.

2. Review your own work before you send it to me. One or two typos is natural. Four or more typos and careless errors are unacceptable and depressing, especially when I've taken two hours to talk you through the finer points of the project.

Phew.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
edit: what was very interesting to me was that I played GZ first, and listened to all the audio tapes. And so for the entire way through PW I was waiting for
Paz's betrayal that never came. Were Paz's logs in GZ a surprise to big PW fans? Or were they in PW somewhere already?

You haven't properly finished PW.

Hystzen

I just finished PW last week on PS3. I thought it was pretty good but was probably the weakest (to me) of all the MGS games. I loved collecting soldiers, that was fun, but things like the bitesized missions and lack of checkpointing made it a bitty, unfulfilling experience. The boss fights are probably interesting in co-op, but in SP they were boring exercises in holding down the fire button. The one major thing I did like about it was that it's kinda a training game on how to play MGS properly, the game very quickly acclimates you on how to play it properly in a way that none of the other games managed so well.

I thought the story was alright, but it was a weird midpoint between the 'realism' of 5 and the balls-out stupidity of the rest of the series. And it sure as hell wanted to make sure you got the idea about nuclear deterrence!

She has a few tapes in PW including the infamous Strangelove wanting to massage her and shit. Also true ending of PW already shows her turn and awesome boss battle

NinjaBoiX

You have to play through it again but you must run and gun through the areas setting off all the alarms and skip all the cut scenes.

Hystzen

True ending? What do I need to do? If it involves grinding I'm not interested. I played the main narrative already.

After beating peace walker you get ending one. To get ending 2 badass speech and shocking traitors you need capture that guy with one arm 3 or 4 times. It takes about 10 minutes you also need to get metal gear Zeke working first which could be grindy.

If not just YouTube it

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You have to play through it again but you must run and gun through the areas setting off all the alarms and skip all the cut scenes.

Isn't that how one is meant to play? I remember one bit in MGS3 where I just stood on top of a building shooting every soldier entering the map.

That walk down the river of the dead took my four hours to complete.

strafer

Metal Gear Solid 1 is great.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the greatest game ever made.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is terrible. Didn't like it one bit.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is awesome. dat Naomi.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
True ending? What do I need to do? If it involves grinding I'm not interested. I played the main narrative already.

Nah, just go back and do the Find Galvez missions. There are five, I think.

Isn't that how one is meant to play? I remember one bit in MGS3 where I just stood on top of a building shooting every soldier entering the map.

That walk down the river of the dead took my four hours to complete.

I try to never kill anyone in MGS.

#RealBigBoss

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's the Zeke part that can be grindy especially if you ignored outer ops part game. You need get those circuit boards from the AI bosses and the weapons

I did a load of outer ops bits as I was playing but the idea of grinding to finish up Zeke is not what I'd call a Fun Time at all, the boss fights were the most boring part of the whole game. Will youtube it instead :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Someone phoned me early today, but I didn't hear anything and assumed it was a random pocket call. Having just checked the number in whatsapp it seems Mr. Kentpaul called me first thing this morning.

8bit

Knows the Score
I did answer it as I was expecting a trampoline to be delivered and thought it might be some incomprehensible German looking for directions, but it was only a pocket billiards call if anything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I did answer it as I was expecting a trampoline to be delivered and thought it might be some incomprehensible German looking for directions, but it was only a pocket billiards call if anything.
Maybe he needed a partner to pull a hustle on some new folks in town with cash to spend.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Metal Gear Solid 3 had the best writing of the entire series, maybe only contested in quality by MGS4.

MGS2 had the best gameplay and protagonist, if you don't agree that just means you hate yourself because Kojima trolled you with his deep metaphors about memes.

MGS1 is only popular on the Internet because of nostalgia, in reality it's the most flawed of all the games.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So it turns out that the guy in our NYC office I work closely with has a secret life as a pro Magic the Gathering player.

Of my other work friends, one is a Wow nut (and she's my Smite buddy too)

The other is currently working on his GameCube collection and excitedly called me over today to show me his new copy of Metroid Prime.

Never let it be said that tax attracts nerds!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Metroid Prime isn't hard to come by - even I have a copy. Get a better class of nerd.

Oi! Leave my friend alone. He's applied to join GAF too so I'll set up a fight for you both.

Seriously though,MP is amazing. Everyone should feel joy if they get it.

Mr. Sam

It's a marvel of game design but I'll be damned if playing a first person shooter with just one thumbstick doesn't feel just plain awkward.

Reknoc

wasn't enough of a bad movie

CHEEZMO™;114867946 said:
Twin Snakes is total shit get out

crazy-snakegiksw.gif

So it turns out that the guy in our NYC office I work closely with has a secret life as a pro Magic the Gathering player.

Of my other work friends, one is a Wow nut (and she's my Smite buddy too)

The other is currently working on his GameCube collection and excitedly called me over today to show me his new copy of Metroid Prime.

Never let it be said that tax attracts nerds!

does he know there's a better version on the wii? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom