• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I thought DQ9 was great until I fell down a grinding hole trying to get my jobs up to the right level. I hate job systems, I constantly feel like I'm doing something wrong and I feel like it encourages FAQ-based min-maxing which I find to be the opposite of fun.

Reknoc

I love job systems, add something a bit interesting to classes. Actually I should probably sign up for the FF5 4 Job Festa but eh.

Never played a Dragon Quest.

I somehow fell down the rabbit hole on holiday and I'm back to Persona 4G to do the new game plus. I love my chirpy kawaii high school life simulator, I can tell you my friends in that game are better than any I have in reel life. Reach out to the truth.

Trying to max out the Social links can be annoying though. Even without the distractions of having to raise stats like Understanding and Expression I'm struggling to get them all done before the end. It's like "well if you wanted to get closer to X you should have done that yesterday instead of seeing Y because X won't be there tomorrow because it's raining and you have exams the day after". The second you have to follow a guide exactly to 100% a game it becomes less fun.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Agh. If any of the P4G kids were my friends in real life I'd go insane. "PLEASE STOP SQUEAKING AT ME I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE ZOMBIE IN THE WORK OF JACQUES DERRIDA. PLS TAKE YOUR REPULSIVE TECHNICOLOR OPTIMISM ELSEWHERE. GET ON YOUR F'ING MOPED AND F OFF."

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Agh. If any of the P4G kids were my friends in real life I'd go insane. "PLEASE STOP SQUEAKING AT ME I AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE ZOMBIE IN THE WORK OF JACQUES DERRIDA. PLS TAKE YOUR REPULSIVE TECHNICOLOR OPTIMISM ELSEWHERE. GET ON YOUR F'ING MOPED AND F OFF."

So you're saying that if you were in P4G you would be the tsundere one?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Badmouth my elegant, vibrant yet touching masterpiece of eastern escapism again I'll cut yor face off u better watch out

10633-Come-At-Me-Bro.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Persona is sweet but I understand the perspective of getting annoyed by the characters. It is high school after all. I love it though.

So Screamin, Sploat, and I had a brainstorming session over the RPG last night and came up with some cool ideas. Will summarize shortly. Also I can gift some software if anyone wants the Game Character Hub. I found out since I bought the RPG Maker humble bundle that it doesn't redeem on steam for 24 hours so I haven't gotten a chance to use any of it myself just yet.

BGBW do you have Skype? Also if anyone else wants in on the planning send me a PM, include your Skype info if you have it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So you're saying that if you were in P4G you would be the tsundere one?

I'll tsundere you in a minute.

On the subject of jerpergers, almost all of my lunch hour was taken up by a FFX Blitzball tutorial. It's like listening to a lecture. And it involves lots of mental maths. I am confused.

I'll do some summarising when I get home.

Never played a Dragon Quest.

I somehow fell down the rabbit hole on holiday and I'm back to Persona 4G to do the new game plus. I love my chirpy kawaii high school life simulator, I can tell you my friends in that game are better than any I have in reel life. Reach out to the truth.

Trying to max out the Social links can be annoying though. Even without the distractions of having to raise stats like Understanding and Expression I'm struggling to get them all done before the end. It's like "well if you wanted to get closer to X you should have done that yesterday instead of seeing Y because X won't be there tomorrow because it's raining and you have exams the day after". The second you have to follow a guide exactly to 100% a game it becomes less fun.

I haven't maxed out any of them yet (around mid-June). Getting on well with my bros on the basketball team though, and the nurse at my hospital janitor job.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have Skype but I don't open it often.

I was actually thinking of making a short game solo for the contest to practice things like drawing and basically getting back into things. Since it has a 10 week deadline I'd rather not have the BritGAF game rushed due to pressure. But I'm happy to discuss ideas.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have Skype but I don't open it often.

I was actually thinking of making a short game solo for the contest to practice things like drawing and basically getting back into things. Since it has a 10 week deadline I'd rather not have the BritGAF game rushed due to pressure. But I'm happy to discuss ideas.
That's cool. There aren't that many people involved in the BritGAF game so it might be more fun to focus on something simple and silly and submit it anyway. And no pressure because even if we don't like it we can just restart or work on it more after the contest is over. I will hit you up via PM for advice once I get RPG maker loaded up. I don't have a lot of experience with the drawing side of things so I will probably be using stock models, but at least I got most of the DLC with the bundle.

I'll tsundere you in a minute.

On the subject of jerpergers, almost all of my lunch hour was taken up by a FFX Blitzball tutorial. It's like listening to a lecture. And it involves lots of mental maths. I am confused.

I'll do some summarising when I get home.

Yeah I didn't listen to that and so played the match like a janky fool. On my HD run through I want to learn it properly!

I haven't maxed out any of them yet (around mid-June). Getting on well with my bros on the basketball team though, and the nurse at my hospital janitor job.

I'm replaying it with various bonuses and it's often difficult to do even still.

Probably the trickiest is the Temperance S. Link because you can only do it after school on Mon/Tue/Sat and only if it isn't raining. Because those are school days you're naturally more inclined to improve links with school friends, the sports team or the music/drama group.

I can relate to the protagonist from P4; I only have so much time in a day and so many people want to hang out and tell me about their personal struggles, it's a hard life.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm replaying it with various bonuses and it's often difficult to do even still.

Probably the trickiest is the Temperance S. Link because you can only do it after school on Mon/Tue/Sat and only if it isn't raining. Because those are school days you're naturally more inclined to improve links with school friends, the sports team or the music/drama group.

I can relate to the protagonist from P4; I only have so much time in a day and so many people want to hang out and tell me about their personal struggles, it's a hard life.

Daps. wat have you become? I thought you were cool.

Suicide is now your only way out of this life trap you have created.

Temperance is the young mum at the daycare job right? Yeah, I did that a couple of times but lost interest and basically started forgetting I even had that job. Working at the bar is more my scene: not tied to a schedule, work any evening, Diligence every time plus you get your pick of Courage, Intelligence, Expression or Understanding depending on who you collect the glass from (money's not bad either).

This is my first playthrough, but I'm sure the trick is finding all the things that give you stat boosts but that, crucially, don't make time move on. The number of times I've done something simple like "Hey, let's check out this capsule machine" and it finishes "Time to go home. EVENING". Hmph, bullshit!

Daps. wat have you become? I thought you were cool.

Suicide is now your only way out of this life trap you have created.

It'll only last until I've completed it again, don't worry.

Some games do this to me.

Did anyone ever play Ni No Kuni? There was a mechanic in that where you mended "broken hearts" by taking someone's spare confidence or enthusiasm and giving it to someone else to help them in life. I fucking sessioned that game, like at least 8 hours in one go, and then on the same night I went to a nightclub and got incredibly drunk. I remember I was trying to improve people's lives by yelling things about their confidence and happiness in their ears. Like there was this tubby guy on the dancefloor and I remember leaning in and telling him to be himself and not hold back because dancing will help. I pull back from his ear and he looked so scared.

True story.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Did anyone ever play Ni No Kuni? There was a mechanic in that where you mended "broken hearts" by taking someone's spare confidence or enthusiasm and giving it to someone else to help them in life. I fucking sessioned that game, like at least 8 hours in one go, and then on the same night I went to a nightclub and got incredibly drunk. I remember I was trying to improve people's lives by yelling things about their confidence and happiness in their ears. Like there was this tubby guy on the dancefloor and I remember leaning in and telling him to be himself and not hold back because dancing will help. I pull back from his ear and he looked so scared.

True story.

I LOVE THIS :D this is how we should all move through the world.

8bit

Knows the Score

True story.

Is this you?

mr-drippy.jpg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

True story.

Daps, I always liked you. Now I love you. Platonically, of course. For the avoidance of doubt.

SKINNER!

Banned

True story.

Remarkable! :D

Vashetti

Banned
Dear Vashetti

I have noticed you have bought Borderlands 2. Please can you say that you are enjoying it and confirm that I am missing the point and wrong and need to play it more.

PS Final Fantasy X - I am 5 hours in and have just fathomed out the levelling system. I'm liking it so far. There's gratuitous boob for Lulu, but there's also a surfeit of six packs on just about every male character, so it's not too bad.

Many thanks and best regards

Sploatee

Yeah BL2 is awesome on Vita, but then I liked Borderlands anyway. It's mindblowing to me that I'm playing it on a handheld.

Glad to hear you're enjoying FFX. The levelling system is fairly versatile and obviously opens up more and more as you progress. What did you pick, Standard or Expert Sphere Grid?

:)

Mikeside

so I'm going on holiday next thursday... hopefully.

I still haven't had my new passport back (yes, yes, I know - my fault for leaving it so late) so now I'm trying to get the service upgraded so I can get it by monday (as I need the passport # to input into the airline websites so I can fly)

Any grand advice from anyone who might have been in this situation? I'm just being told I have to wait for them to call me back in the next 48 hours, but I feel like it might be too late by Thursday to get it by monday.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You guys make me feel so loved. I'm blushing like a schoolgirl just now.

Tee Hee :3

TAKE THAT KAWAII CRAP ELSEWHERE, YOUNG

Yeah BL2 is awesome on Vita, but then I liked Borderlands anyway. It's mindblowing to me that I'm playing it on a handheld.

Glad to hear you're enjoying FFX. The levelling system is fairly versatile and obviously opens up more and more as you progress. What did you pick, Standard or Expert Sphere Grid?

:)

Standard, I think. I didn't pay attention during the levelling tutorial though.

so I'm going on holiday next thursday... hopefully.

I still haven't had my new passport back (yes, yes, I know - my fault for leaving it so late) so now I'm trying to get the service upgraded so I can get it by monday (as I need the passport # to input into the airline websites so I can fly)

Any grand advice from anyone who might have been in this situation? I'm just being told I have to wait for them to call me back in the next 48 hours, but I feel like it might be too late by Thursday to get it by monday.

You can one-day it if you physically go to the processing centre (or whatever they call it). My brother did that once by going to Liverpool the day before flying.

I'm not sure if it's a different situation when you've already sent it in though :-/

Marc

Marc & BGBW did you get a chance to try out the software yet? I will play around with the settings for the actual design part this week but if you creative types want to draft a script, maybe start with a basic plot outline and a cast of characters, that would be helpful. Sploatee, Screaming Meat you want to work on that?

Yeah, got a better idea now, have the real time fighting script running so feels more like Zelda now. Although been faffing around with the UFC demo today and doing a bunch of garden work, plus e3 news kicking off early so expecting sporadic progress from here on in.

I am thinking everyone has different schedules and skill level, plus ideas as well you would expect. So think I might try to do as much as I can do for the competition, by the end I should be better at it (I hope) and can pick and mix the best parts from everyone. It will be a lot easier to modify and add to it rather than back and forths. Got most of the plot worked out in my head plus a bunch of 'events' and idea's. No idea if I can make it happen though so don't want to get into too many specifics then fail miserably. Haha

Called the project NeoGAF Wars: Road to E3 with the character starting at a central area with four paths and an abyss in the middle. To the North will be BritGAF, which is all I will focus on as that is enough to keep me busy. Modern setting, the likes of chavs for enemies. Maybe evil bosses like Tony Blair, but got some specific ideas if I get that far. You beat the brit world to get a key or letter as mentioned, central area has 4 gates, beat all world's and you open a portal to e3. Leaves a lot of room to expand basically, 3 other world's. That is the jist so far, can share any assets I create and anything I learn.

I can't promise that won't happen. I get scared on Skype and naturally cleave my buttocks in twain. It's a defense mechanism, similar to how squids spray ink.

Aaaaaaanyway

What's the time limit on plot, characters etc? Did we decide to stick with the Word Search type deal or are we still up in the air about stuff?

I still think that Chinner should be the antagonist, although perhaps he should be more of "Well Intentioned Extremist" because... Well, dammit, I like his posts.

He is the wildcard baby, WILDCARD!

I think the competition is September or something way off which is why I think it's best to actually learn what the hell I am doing and get the groundwork sorted first. If it all goes quickly I can post up what I have, then rip it apart where needed and edit the maps, which seems a lot quicker than starting from scratch.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Alright, so here's the brain dump from last night's Skype...

(I didn't mention last night that I think the currency should be debt and that there should be a (Nick) Griffin boss. But I think I mentioned that before and I am very self-satisfied with my only significant contribution)

You are a lowly junior beginning in the village of BritGAF where certain members have been abducted by Chinner. You must find the letter C U N T to return the C to BritGAF. There are other villages e.g. FakeGAF, My Little Pony etc.

The four worlds:

Little England
LANDAN
+2

You must re-unite the party as you go - each is in hiding "let's get the gang back together, etc". So Jed is in hiding being grumpy somewhere, Afoni is on "the outside". There will be references to the GAF Hive Mind and individuals with red brain slugs in their mind connecting them to the hive. Those red slugs will have names like umm mod names. Evilore will be the mastermind of the hive (already has a villainous name).

Sample dialogue

"WE MUST CONSULT WITH THE HIVE MIND AS OUR FPS IS DROPPING"

Chinner's ultimate Freudian gambit is to steal the power of red from the mods using C U N T.

The first dungeon is trying to free parts of BritGAF world from evil control.

Did I miss anything?

ALL OF THIS IS RAW BRAIN DUMP SO PLS FEED (OH HO HO) IN AND GIVE IDEAS ETC.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
To add to Sploatee's post:

The player character is a Junior. You start in the village of NeoGAF/BritGAF and are met by Musha. She explains that the village is in grave danger. Many of the villagers are under the control of Red Slugs that link together to form the GAF HIVE MIND. Those under the control of the slugs shout things like:

“WE MUST CONSULT THE RED NAME WE MUST CONSULT THE RED NAME” or “WE MUST CONSULT WITH THE HIVE MIND AS OUR FPS IS DROPPING” etc.

Musha asks for your help. She needs you to talk to the people of GAF and find a way to free its people from the personality sapping Red Slugs. A few simple tutorial quests later and you meet Chinner, an ostracised member of BritGAF, held captive. He tells you that it is really Musha who is in command of The Red Slugs and that the only way to defeat her is to find the objects of POWAH (possible examples some SEA Water, a copy of Rick James’ Unity, a cup of magic TEA and something to do with N). Chinner is a little weird but some kind of Shakespearean misunderstanding occurs and you believe him.

Thus you set off on your quest, either through parodies of British areas (see BritLocations) or parodies of well-known NeoGAF Community Threads (to be discussed) or both. Perhaps the first dungeon is freeing BritGAF from Red Slug control? Perhaps different threads could have different parts where we can incorporate funny references like poliGAF etc.

Each area contains one of the objects of POWAH (total of 4). Each one has a main quest attached (maybe a fight or have to perform duties to gain audience with the person who holds it etc.) to gain the object. When you get one you hold it up like Link holds up the Triforce pieces… because that is awesome.

During your journey you meet characters who you can add to your Party (or Clique), or who will help you on your quest: SmokyDave may provide you with the Sword of Vita +1. You might have a random encounter with the caddish Highwayman, Dapperbandit, or meet the tentacle-obsessed warrior with a literal axe to grind, Jedeye Sniv (he’s hidden away being grumpy somewhere), or even the cheerful and cheeky Shadow Warrior with a penchant for big beats and even bigger footwear, NinjaboiX; each of whom might join your party to fight off the minions of the Hive Mind… or Pokemon fans (Jed gets a bonus against them). Some you may have to rescue, some you may have to complete quests for etc.

Let’s not forget Afoni! He exists “outside”.

Regardless, once you have collected all four words of POWAH you and return to Chinner to rid GAF of the Red Slugs. However, it turns out Chinner was using you! The words of POWAH actually go together to form one word: CUNT! Using the power of the word CUNT he escapes his prison and manages to wrest control of the Red Slugs and the Hive Mind from Evilore and become CHINNODAN who wishes to make NeoGAF in his vision.

BritLocations:

Village of NeoGAF/BritGAF – FINAL BOSS: 1st Form – Chinner/2nd Form – CHINNODAN (Chinner with the power of the Hive Mind)

Little England – BOSS: 1st Form - Nigel Farage/2nd Form - Safer Britain Nick Griffin/3rd Form – One Winged Griffin

LANDAN – BOSS: Boris

Unknown?

Unknown?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jeremy Hunt must be the final summon or the whole thing is null and void. I don't care if it is a paradox that we are fighting politician and then being aided by one.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jeremy Hunt must be the final summon or the whole thing is null and void. I don't care if it is a paradox that we are fighting politician and then being aided by one.

Jeremy Hunt is an Old Carthusian, I fully endorse this.

I like the idea of other GAF communities being worlds. The satire that could be done on popgaf is too much to pass up.

I think Chinner should be at least a sub boss if not the big bad. Phisheep should be the shopkeeper in all the shops.

Jimbor has fart powers and insults which reduce enemy stats.

Afoni is a ghost who'll only help you if you indulge in inane Nintendo related fetch quests.

Cyanide can be summoned to unleash the awesome power of emotional cataclysm, damaging all enemies, you and himself. He must recharge his angst each time. Too many emotional cataclysms and he's gone forever.

Jackben can also be summoned. He is dressed like Uncle Sam and rides a bald eagle. The eagles tears can buff the party or debuff enemies.

Etc

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So on sunday I got a bit drunk at work and my friend in cardiff calls me (the one I thought I fancied for a bit, I retracted those feelings, they were wrong) she said she was going back to devon in a few days and I had been meaning to go up an see her, so I ended up going the next morning

IT WAS SO COOL, went round all the shops and saw the castle and when I went clubbing I had some wicked sex with this hot blonde welsh chick with lovely boobs, she was funny,smart,sexy and she was such a nice lass in general.

I got an eye into the student life and it was awesome.

Tashbrooke out.

Lirlond

Scotland should be an area, you can have a side quest where you join BETTER TOGETHER or AYE ALBA, with different bosses depending on what side you choose.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Grr Manchester sort out your wifi. I want to remote play some Wolfenstein at lunch today and the fates are against me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was disappointed that the airport in Sweden didn't have free WiFi considering how much better their internet is meant to be compared to ours. The Cloud is poo.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Exactly! I can log on to all sorts of free and pseudo-free wifi, but it's all fairly abysmal for anything gaming-related. Central library has free wifi but it seems to block PSN and remote play. Grumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom