• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Hurray! Look forward to be able to catch up without the need for military organisation!

Congratulations and good luck.
Me too sploatee, afternoon tea with dainty cakes and extended little fingers abound!
Congrats Ninja.

Are you pleased to be moving away from Sunderland?

When I arrived I must say my first impression was "this looks like a historical reconstruction of an impoverished 80's town during the Thatcher years."
Like you wouldn't believe mate, Manchester is so exciting right now. It's all going off and stuff! I'll miss my peeps obviously, but I'll pop back up every month or so to hang out and tings.

New beginnings mane.
On the subject of racers, how does BritGAF feel about Driveclub?

There's a "51 facts" thread about it on Gaming side and some of it blew my mind and has me way more interested than I had been previously.
It's Evolution Studios, I'm sold already. Motorstorm was one of my favorite franchises last gen.

Reknoc

That's a bit of a reductionist view on it. I didn't list every possible thing you could do and there is a fuck ton more. The ideal is that you "ghost" an area, sure, but all stealth games offer the option of altering the world with varying degrees of subtlety to suit you. MGS isn't an exception, it's the rule, baby.

I dunno, like, there just doesn't seem like there's that much, the other stuff you mentioned camera's / extinguishers whatever just felt so few and far between anyway like, i'm not even sure if big shell had any extinguishers lol. Maybe you're right, maybe I should grab MGS2 HD on PSN but then thats 10GB I could be using to play MGS3 and throw snakes at dudes.

I tend to action my way through MGS2 anyway because I like how the guns feel and guards hit detection.

YOUSHUTYORMOUF

We should probably take this to an MG thread. I think we've dominated BritGAF quite long enough :D

Yea, probably lol, but that could attract MetalGearGAF and they weird me out like PersonaGAF.

though this reaction seems like you dont like burnout and that indicates a much bigger problem here :mad:

I dunno, like, there just doesn't seem like there's that much, the other stuff you mentioned camera's / extinguishers whatever just felt so few and far between anyway like, i'm not even sure if big shell had any extinguishers lol. Maybe you're right, maybe I should grab MGS2 HD on PSN but then thats 10GB I could be using to play MGS3 and throw snakes at dudes.

I tend to action my way through MGS2 anyway because I like how the guns feel and guards hit detection.

Yea, probably lol, but that could attract MetalGearGAF and they weird me out like PersonaGAF.

though this reaction seems like you dont like burnout and that indicates a much bigger problem here :mad:

FYI we call ourselves Purse Owners.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
HEY GUISE LETS TALK ABOUT MARIO KART NEXT I HEAR ITS GOT BOWSER IN IT

so, erm... anyone watch Big Brother last night? A right parade of orange cunts it was. And one nice black lady.

8bit

Knows the Score
Driveclub, Mario Kart or Big Brother?

Or all of the above

Oompa-Loompa-640x426.jpg

I'm ok with Mario Kart, dunno about Driveclub. Other than that the only racing games I've ever liked where RoadBlasters & Burnout.

What you got against orange cunts? Huh?! What they ever do to you?

independance.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There be nowt wrong with orange gents, primo colour it is.

Pressed.

You live in the north, of course you'd say that.

Before the year 2005 I don't think I would have thought that the colour of someone's skin could be an indicator of character. Then orange people happened.

SteveWD40

My sabbatical (lol, read "employment safety net") finally got approved, I'm moving down Manchester on Friday 27th June.

Like you wouldn't believe mate, Manchester is so exciting right now. It's all going off and stuff! I'll miss my peeps obviously, but I'll pop back up every month or so to hang out and tings.

oWqyddQ.gif

Were going to braid each others chest hair.

Anyone caught much of the D-Day Anniversary coverage? Humbling to say the least, with the personal stories from both sides. To think that seventy years ago men were hauling themselves onto beaches, or parachuting behind enemy lines, both under enemy fire (and of course fighting at sea and in the skies), because they believed in a set of ideals and a way of life that I enjoy and benefit from today.

Perhaps it's because we don't have the same veil of ignorance of what would unfold that day (thanks to media, photographs, stories of what occurred), and so would have more of a reason to be terrified if we found ourselves in their shoes on that day, but to me their bravery is unimaginable.

Reknoc

It's a shame Destiny isn't coming to PC since I might have tried it, but then the only Bungie game I've ever enjoyed was Oni so I guess I'm not too fussed.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Any BT users having trouble accessing MyBT, BT Sport or BT email? Or is it just me they fucked?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oh, we still talking about Metal Gear? Well then...

What did everyone think of Ground Zeroes gameplay? Personally, I could do without the regenerative health, but the overall gameplay is amazing. Though there are some graphical changes I would want for The Phantom Pain. Like changing FXAA to MSAA or a more efficient equivalent of that (like CSAA, or is that unavailable on consoles?) and some anisotropic filtering, which is pretty much free, resource wise. Not to mention tessellation on the game's more jagged edges (did you see those tyres, for one?). The game already runs at a rock solid 60fps, so I thought whatever available rendering bandwidth should be used to really improve on while keeping the game at that high framerate.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh, we still talking about Metal Gear? Well then...

What did everyone think of Ground Zeroes gameplay? Personally, I could do without the regenerative health, but the overall gameplay is amazing. Though there are some graphical changes I would want for The Phantom Pain. Like changing FXAA to MSAA or a more efficient equivalent of that (like CSAA, or is that unavailable on consoles?) and some anisotropic filtering, which is pretty much free, resource wise. Not to mention tessellation on the game's more jagged edges (did you see those tyres, for one?). The game already runs at a rock solid 60fps, so I thought whatever available rendering bandwidth should be used to really improve on while keeping the game at that high framerate.

I thought you were going to talk about gameplay but then you got started with the graphiks horse wankery, I am disappoint.

I liked the health regen, one of the things I dislike most about old games upon return is the damn health systems, I really think that doing away with it is a great step forward for gaming as a whole. Yes it's unrealistic, but so is walking over a box and having your wounds heal (or in MGS' case, selecting it from a menu). The feeling when you're injured that you must hide and not be spotted so you have time to heal is great, adds tension IMO, tension that dissapates when you die repeatedly, replaced with frustration instead.

I found the rest of the game to be very mechanically sound, Snake is FUN to control, you feel capable and in control in a way that no other MGS has come close to capturing. I love the open environment, your newfound environmental awareness is tested by having a much larger and less predictable play area. The AI seemed good and did a good job of disguising their inherent robotic qualities. I felt that these were people, and I was appropriately scared of them at times.

That rain was pretty lush too.

So yeah, thought it was a great little game, I played it way more than I'd expected to.

Reknoc

Didn't really like Ground Zeroes, didn't seem like there was much to it outside of rescuing prisoners but that was portable ops level of boring shit. Though apparently you could dump them all on a truck an get them to an extraction point that way? maybe I'll reinstall it.

edit: not game related but I don't remember if I mentioned it before: I don't like Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss, I'm not even on Team Hayter because he was losing it. Big Boss just sounded bored all the time, really phoned in. If Kojima wants a celebrity to voice Big Boss he should get Brian Blessed imo.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I thought you were going to talk about gameplay but then you got started with the graphiks horse wankery, I am disappoint.
But I want it kept at 60. If I doing what a Graphics Horse does, I'd be calling for it to be at 30 with scripted SIN-EE-MAT-TICK building collapses.

I liked the health regen, one of the things I dislike most about old games upon return is the damn health systems, I really think that doing away with it is a great step forward for gaming as a whole. Yes it's unrealistic, but so is walking over a box and having your wounds heal (or in MGS' case, selecting it from a menu). The feeling when you're injured that you must hide and not be spotted so you have time to heal is great, adds tension IMO, tension that dissapates when you die repeatedly, replaced with frustration instead.
Not really. The health seemed to deplete faster than in previous titles where it had a health bar. I mean, the series always had regenerative health to some extent (I think it was MGS3 that first allowed you to simply lie down and let it regenerate slowly), but not like Ground Zeroes, where it decided to throw in the BLOODY SCREEN, SO REAL, effect (with a little burning celluloid, because Kojima loves his movies).

I found the rest of the game to be very mechanically sound, Snake is FUN to control, you feel capable and in control in a way that no other MGS has come close to capturing. I love the open environment, your newfound environmental awareness is tested by having a much larger and less predictable play area. The AI seemed good and did a good job of disguising their inherent robotic qualities. I felt that these were people, and I was appropriately scared of them at times.

That rain was pretty lush too.

So yeah, thought it was a great little game, I played it way more than I'd expected to.
Oh yes. The freedom that that little game had to offer was just spectacular. And finally seeing an MGS that depended on hiding in the shadows instead of simply cardboard boxes and tall grass with camo was really something.

But like I said, I wouldn't mind if they removed the regenerating health (the kind that Ground Zeroes has, I mean) and changed around a few graphical effects to give a clearer image (FXAA is a very poor anti aliasing option that just blurs the edges and is best left off), but other than that, I'm ready for The Phantom Pain. I just hope that now Metal Gear Online is being developed in Kojima's LA studio, I don't see them implementing matchmaking only as a method of finding online games. I like to choose what match is available.

Didn't really like Ground Zeroes, didn't seem like there was much to it outside of rescuing prisoners but that was portable ops level of boring shit. Though apparently you could dump them all on a truck an get them to an extraction point that way? maybe I'll reinstall it.

edit: not game related but I don't remember if I mentioned it before: I don't like Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss, I'm not even on Team Hayter because he was losing it. Big Boss just sounded bored all the time, really phoned in. If Kojima wants a celebrity to voice Big Boss he should get Brian Blessed imo.
Only if I get to hear Boss say "GORDON'S ALIIIIVE!"

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. The health seemed to deplete faster than in previous titles where it had a health bar. I mean, the series always had regenerative health to some extent (I think it was MGS3 that first allowed you to simply lie down and let it regenerate slowly), but not like Ground Zeroes, where it decided to throw in the BLOODY SCREEN, SO REAL, effect (with a little burning celluloid, because Kojima loves his movies).

Nah, you could kneel in MGS2 and heal a bit of health. Maybe MGS too, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Either way, it wasn't to the extent of MGS3 or GZ.

I like the celluloid burn and the little camera sound when you zoom in behind cover. File them under "nice touches".

Oh yes. The freedom that that little game had to offer was just spectacular. And finally seeing an MGS that depended on hiding in the shadows instead of simply cardboard boxes and tall grass with camo was really something.

Wasn't MGS3's camo a completely new thing for a stealth game? I can't think of any other game that had it (outside of Optical Camo, of course).

Only if I get to hear Boss say "GORDON'S ALIIIIVE!"

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Destiny - I pre-ordered it because it looks fun and deep. I quite fancy getting in on it early. Playing Hearthstone + Smite made me realise the advantage beta players have in learning the game before the floodgates open. Also, there's not a huge range of games on PS4 yet. I know I'm going to get it, so why not have something to play over the summer and also have it very fancily pre-loaded onto my console for the release date.

Ground Zeroes - I thought it looked splendid, but I have no idea about graphics, really. It played so fluidly though. It's the first MGS game where I felt the controls had been designed for the game, rather than bolted on after an abstract discussion between designers. I don't know if I'll ever unlock everything though .The problem is that I am awful at stealth games. I think I'll probably trade it in.

Other stuff - Wolfenstein, people! If you're even on the fence about it, you should pay your money and support 'this kind of thing'. I'm frequently surprised at how it deals with really difficult subjects and how it balances it with being damn good fun to play. So unpretentious, too. What an achievement.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nah, you could kneel in MGS2 and heal a bit of health. Maybe MGS too, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Either way, it wasn't to the extent of MGS3 or GZ.

I like the celluloid burn and the little camera sound when you zoom in behind cover. File them under "nice touches".
I didn't say that MGS3 was the first in the series that introduced regenerative health. Just the way that allowed you to regenerate all the way up.

And I don't care if it's celluloid, it still obscures the screen.

Wasn't MGS3's camo a completely new thing for a stealth game? I can't think of any other game that had it (outside of Optical Camo, of course).
I was just saying that the whole shadow thing was something that they should have introduced ages ago.

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So what are everyones plans for the weekend?

When is Musha back? Am I the only girl? Are there no lurkers?

Once I've finished my flippin' timeshare my weekend will begin. This weekend we are going to hermitage because E's limbs aren't too friendly and my poor brainbox has had a rough week.

Mikeside

Once I've finished my flippin' timeshare my weekend will begin. This weekend we are going to hermitage because E's limbs aren't too friendly and my poor brainbox has had a rough week.

PFG gig
Last Resort clubnight
Hangover, whilst preparing for a week of sunny sunshine in the sunny Costa del Sol

Passport has been sorted, arriving Monday
Euros are booked, collecting them Monday
Travel insurance booked

Let's fuckin' do this shit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure about tomorrow but I have got to go to a Christening on Sunday with people I've never met. I'm sure it'll pan out well...

I'm gonna say it: I fucking hate Queen. Blessed is the only reason I ever bother to watch Flash Gordon.

Reknoc

Other stuff - Wolfenstein, people! If you're even on the fence about it, you should pay your money and support 'this kind of thing'. I'm frequently surprised at how it deals with really difficult subjects and how it balances it with being damn good fun to play. So unpretentious, too. What an achievement.

god yes this game is so good. That said I thought if I just focused on all the awesome GUN SHOOTING the bad writing would go away but NO it just makes itself louder and more constant. and it's like I shouldn't care because whatever videogames shooting pewpew but it wants me to care and it wont shut up until I do.

Other than that though I bought the new Kirby game for 3DS... it's a Kirby game, if you like Kirby you'll like this, and if you don't like Kirby I doubt this'll do anything to change your mind. It looks like it's trying to do cool stuff by being a 2.5D(urgh) platformer on the 3DS with perspective and shit but I don't play with 3D turned on so whatevsssssssss

Vashetti

Banned

You're a girl?!

ibrOPT0vEsyXiu.gif

NinjaBoiX

sploatee is mint. She is an icky girl, but don't hold that against her.
what if britgaf was big brother
Cyanide would show up as a surprise housemate in the last week and win by a landslide. Then he'd have a brief, tumultuous period as a vacuous z-list celeb doing public appearances at scummy night clubs and peddling food mixers on QVC.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cyanide would show up as a surprise housemate in the last week and win by a landslide. Then he'd have a brief, tumultuous period as a vacuous z-list celeb doing public appearances at scummy night clubs and peddling food mixers on QVC.

Until he is splashed all over the tabloids after being caught by paparazzo in a sleazy DD honeytrap scandal.

No one will care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom