• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

If you want a strike to be effective be inconvenient to those you are fighting against, not other people. People just get annoyed by public transport strikes and their bosses likely just take a car to work.

Instead do something like mass spam your bosses work emails everyday for three months. This will make their job a lot harder and technically they wouldn't be allowed to block internal emails since that would only lead to egg on their faces if that was discovered.

Way easier to ignore and prioritise emails so the workers' could get blocked off.

You think bus workers want strikes? No, they'd rather get paid and be working. Strikes are often a last resort and call for help. By contrast, tube drivers get a collective pay deal rather than a company-by-company basis.

“Strike action is the last resort. We’ve been forced into this position by the operators’ refusal to even meet with us. Passengers sitting side by side on the same route expect to pay the same fare, so why shouldn’t drivers expect to be paid the same rate?

“The bus operators need to stop pleading poverty in defending pay inequality and collectively start negotiating about a fairer deal for London’s bus workers.”​

jimbor

Banned
Hey, not sure if this is the correct thread for my questions, but either way, what do EU citizens (excluding Brits obviously) need to legally live/work in UK?

Would moving there for a year to do so be feasible as one? Not really interested in staying long term, but I'd love to experience life there at least a bit.

As others have said, a passport is all you need. My girlfriend is Greek and she came here at seventeen with just her passport.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Way easier to ignore and prioritise emails so the workers' could get blocked off.

You think bus workers want strikes? No, they'd rather get paid and be working. Strikes are often a last resort and call for help. By contrast, tube drivers get a collective pay deal rather than a company-by-company basis.

“Strike action is the last resort. We’ve been forced into this position by the operators’ refusal to even meet with us. Passengers sitting side by side on the same route expect to pay the same fare, so why shouldn’t drivers expect to be paid the same rate?

“The bus operators need to stop pleading poverty in defending pay inequality and collectively start negotiating about a fairer deal for London’s bus workers.”​

You are wise beyond your years.

I saw you were playing that last night.

I was "enjoying" Bioshock. As in feeling tense and generally trapped in a claustrophobic environment before taking on a Big Daddy and getting pummelled.

Freeze!

Ah hah hah hah armour piercing rounds!

No you don't... Freeze!

Ah hah hah hah RPG

No you don't oh bugger I've started injecting myself oh no no jump! Dodge! Aaaaaragsjdkfndksoeheb

Press A to leave Vita Chamber.

Ah, Big Daddys. They were never less than terrifying for me. Bioshock, whatever anyone says, is one of those games where all the parts sync up damn near perfectly. Shame they lost a lot of the "ecosystem" for Infinite.

(I also watched Robert Bresson's rather splendid Trial of Joan of Arc, a short film based only on the minutes of her trial and cast using amateur actors.

This one?

Saw that at ATP a few years back (ROCKNROLLGRRR). Adrian Utley (guitarist from Portishead) and a small orchestra provided the score, live. It was incredible. If it's the one I'm thinking of. Which I think it is.

so i have the internet again:

4056308069.png

oh my.
i've also added you sploatee to my xbox live account super happy fun friendship zone. we can now ignore each other on there, much the same way i do screaming meat. i often just curse every time he comes online because i think the noise is an unlocked achievement.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
So, on a smoking break I voiced my dislike for my colleagues bitching about a new colleague behind said new colleague's back... and earned the ire of all the smokers. Eep. I don't even like the new person that much, but I couldn't stand all the hyena jeering. I think I'm allergic to bullying.

oh my.
i've also added you sploatee to my xbox live account super happy fun friendship zone. we can now ignore each other on there, much the same way i do screaming meat. i often just curse every time he comes online because i think the noise is an unlocked achievement.

I'd play with you, brah (sans mic), but you never seem to play anything multiplayer that I've got. ;(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You are wise beyond your years.

Ah, Big Daddys. They were never less than terrifying for me. Bioshock, whatever anyone says, is one of those games where all the parts sync up damn near perfectly. Shame they lost a lot of the "ecosystem" for Infinite.

This one?

Saw that at ATP a few years back (ROCKNROLLGRRR). Adrian Utley (guitarist from Portishead) and a small orchestra provided the score, live. It was incredible. If it's the one I'm thinking of. Which I think it is.

I love the world they created with Rapture. Very interesting and thought provoking. Not sure about the rest that much but I'm trying to get out of the habit of "rating games" as its just tiring and gets it the way of digesting a game on its own merits.

Ah it's not that Joan of Arc one. That might be the Preminger one.

Watching some of Stalker tonight. Excited!! Seen it before but I love the umm two Tarkovsky films I've seen. They make my brain go to good places.

4056308069.png

oh my.

UNNERVED

Not really. I don't play many Xbo MP games apart from the odd couple of games of Titanfall. If I've got it though and you've got it, happy to play whatever.

But you've not got live gold! Ok! See you on the Ikaruga scoreboards!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So another Dragon's Dogma boss battle (
Metal Golem
) blew my mind last night. What started off like "Another one of these guys? No problem!" quickly turned to "My daggers, they do nothing!" which quickly became "What are these glowy thi---oooooh".

Shit was exciting as all hell. Game gets better the deeper you go. Well played, Capcom.
Dragon's Dogma is definitely a hidden gem for its genre. The writing is very non-nonsensical, but fun. And the combat system is so hype. Like, battles are so fluid and amazing to play that I don't know if I can ever go back to an Elder Scrolls game having been able to jump and fly through the air off my pawn's shield only to grab onto a dragon and do Shadow of the Colossus style platforming before hacking and slashing it in the face.

Vashetti

Banned

4056308069.png

oh my.

4056535147.png

;)

Edit: Higher ping is due to Wi-Fi.

Hystzen

Back on the Dragons Dogma wagon after all talk, started new character using the Guts from Berserk model but gave him a beard due to real men having beards. Forgot how dark nighttime is when have no lantern.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Back on the Dragons Dogma wagon after all talk, started new character using the Guts from Berserk model but gave him a beard due to real men having beards. Forgot how dark nighttime is when have no lantern.
Going out at night with no lantern fuel...that's a paddlin'. I think monsters actually increase in number if you have your lantern off too. Also before I knew how the brine worked (or that it was simply a gimmick plot device to explain what is essentially an invisible wall) I was terrified of water. I thought that a tentacle could possibly pull you in or something just for being nearby. That would have been pretty cool actually.

Reknoc

That character is now cursed to never finish the game.

Watching some of Stalker tonight. Excited!! Seen it before but I love the umm two Tarkovsky films I've seen. They make my brain go to good places.

Stalker is really good, one of the few "art" films I've got a lot of time for. Just the way it's shot, that weird transition to color, the music and the mysterious goings on in general. But I don't think I ever made it through Solaris without phasing out or nodding off.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Stalker is really good, one of the few "art" films I've got a lot of time for. Just the way it's shot, that weird transition to color, the music and the mysterious goings on in general. But I don't think I ever made it through Solaris without phasing out or nodding off.

Stalker is beautiful, isn't it? Especially for what is effectively a few Russian blokes messing around in a forest.

Emma's never stayed awake through Solaris. I really like it though. The opening act is the toughest bit I think (the driving scene spills over into pure art installation cinema imo) but after that I found it settles into a conventional-ish sci fi film. Ish.

Stalker is beautiful, isn't it? Especially for what is effectively a few Russian blokes messing around in a forest.

Emma's never stayed awake through Solaris. I really like it though. The opening act is the toughest bit I think (the driving scene spills over into pure art installation cinema imo) but after that I found it settles into a conventional-ish sci fi film. Ish.

If you have a PC that could play it I'd encourage you to give the Stalker game a go. Inspired by the film and a few books here and there but it's own entity really. Captures a similar atmosphere of traipsing through polluted/radioactive bogs and wetland in Ukraine.

Volotaire

Getting a Wii U today. are the gamecube controller adapters still unobtainable?

Mayflash are releasing 3rd party gamecube controller adapters. With their track record record, they should be solid quality and fully working. It's live on playasia for pre-order. It also doubles up as a gamecube controller to PC adapter if you're possibly using Dolphin.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
If you have a PC that could play it I'd encourage you to give the Stalker game a go. Inspired by the film and a few books here and there but it's own entity really. Captures a similar atmosphere of traipsing through polluted/radioactive bogs and wetland in Ukraine.

Ah, the Ukrainian wetland. The finest wetland.

(Ta for the tip. Sadly my laptop is a convertible pen tab thing that can't run anything that involves an element of 3D.)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
*shakes fist*

Watch it, matey. Don't be getting your Joans of Arc confused around here.

WATCHUGUNNADOBOUDIT?!

Dragon's Dogma is definitely a hidden gem for its genre. The writing is very non-nonsensical, but fun. And the combat system is so hype. Like, battles are so fluid and amazing to play that I don't know if I can ever go back to an Elder Scrolls game having been able to jump and fly through the air off my pawn's shield only to grab onto a dragon and do Shadow of the Colossus style platforming before hacking and slashing it in the face.

Always got a soft spot for ES since I stumbled on the mindbogglingly original world of Morrowind. I wish they would move away from that dull Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones aesthetic bollocks and give us more madness like Morrowind and Shivering Isles.

Combat-wise, I'm okay with it. I usually use Illusion to bypass all the riffraff.

Danj

But are you willing to pay?

79p is a cheap cost to pay to protest Cameron and have freedom of speech. After all, freedom isn't free, there's a hefty fuckin' fee, and if you don't put in your 79p, who will?

If WhatsApp goes, half of my life is gone in an instant. That's where I arrange sexual hookups and talk to other folk.

Do tell.

EDIT: so anyway, WhatsApp users, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get set up and pay my 79p and whatnot? I literally know nothing about this app other than Cameron wants to ban it.

79p is a cheap cost to pay to protest Cameron and have freedom of speech. After all, freedom isn't free, there's a hefty fuckin' fee, and if you don't put in your 79p, who will?

Do tell.

EDIT: so anyway, WhatsApp users, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get set up and pay my 79p and whatnot? I literally know nothing about this app other than Cameron wants to ban it.

it's free for a year. you just download it via your google megashop or apple wondermart and then it's on your phoneamabob and it uses word-shapes to send insults to other human shaped meat that you already know, via the wonderness of inter-air-telecommuni-typing. don't forget though that it'll use your ACTUAL TELEPHONE NUMERAL so suddenly everyone will be like OI OI SLAPPER, LOOK WHO'S RIDDEN IN TO THAT THERE WHATSAPP TOWN ON HIS SHINY NEW PHONEHORSE and you'll have to explain as to why you're doing it and it's all because of a website's fault and maybe you'll find your mum on it and her account photo will be really graphic and in rather poor taste. oh dear.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
WATCHUGUNNADOBOUDIT?!

Always got a soft spot for ES since I stumbled on the mindbogglingly original world of Morrowind. I wish they would move away from that dull Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones aesthetic bollocks and give us more madness like Morrowind and Shivering Isles.

Combat-wise, I'm okay with it. I usually use Illusion to bypass all the riffraff.
If they created a game with Dragon's Dogma style combat system and Elder Scrolls world building and writing it would be the GOAT.

Reknoc

Wow AOL is a blast from the past, didn't even know they still operated. Do you still have to use their garbage browser?

jimbor

Banned
Genuinely overheard at work today:

'What does jee sweez Charlie mean?' 'That's the bloke they killed, innit?' 'So who's the prophet Muhammad then?'

Construction industry ftw

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
(Sorry this is a bit apropos of nothing...)

Bioshock's pretty good, isn't it? I've just
completed Sander Cohen's great masterpiece
. Unfortunately I'm already dimly aware of
"Would you kindly?"
but I still have lots of questions which I hope will be answered before it ends. I'm playing it on hard difficulty and while it was fine until now, it's really becoming a game of resource management. I wasted quite a lot of dollars and now I'm on the back foot a bit.

Is the narrow FOV a design decision? It was very disorientating at first but once I accepted that it's really a horror game first and then a shooter second (or maybe third) I realised it added to the claustrophobia.

I think the thing I admire most about it is how focused it is. It's almost too dense with activity at times. I also like how you can have three different sets of behaviours all going on at the same time - it makes me happy seeing Big Daddies vs splicers vs bots all happening while I'm crouching in a corner somewhere trying not to use my last 6 pistol bullets.

In fact, the only thing that's grating with me at the moment is the number of times I've played that hacking minigame. I think the setting helps make some of the old horror clichés (
mad doctor!
psycho artist!
feel a bit fresh. It's no Anor Londo but it's a very very fine setting :D

There you go. Bit garbled but that's my brain dump. As you were!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I loved what I played of the first Bioshock and it sounds like you have grasped on a lot of the elements which make it a great game. I have yet to finish it actually (no one look at my hours played on Steam). The really enjoyed how the story was fleshed out with the little audio diaries and the way the atmosphere in the game really puts you in a dark place (literally and metaphorically). Should probably go back and do that at some point, along with Amnesia.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I loved what I played of the first Bioshock and it sounds like you have grasped on a lot of the elements which make it a great game. I have yet to finish it actually (no one look at my hours played on Steam). The really enjoyed how the story was fleshed out with the little audio diaries and the way the atmosphere in the game really puts you in a dark place (literally and metaphorically). Should probably go back and do that at some point, along with Amnesia.

Yeah. I'm kind of deliberately ignoring the more speculative / philosophical ideas the game explores out here on der GAF but one other thing that's really impressive is the absence of silence. You always have either splicers muttering to themselves, the groans of Big Daddies, the chatter of a Little Sister or the vending machines burbling on. You never seem to get a moment's rest and when you do, you've usually just found an audio log. Combine that with the narrow FOV, the small spaces and the bloody enemies everywhere and I really feel on edge when I'm playing it (in a good way). It's made me curious to try Alien Isolation as I imagine that will play on long silences punctuated by your head being splattered open.

I didn't warm to Bioshock at first because there wasn't enough time for me to think about what was going on (I like der Dark Souls and Fez because they just leave you to it and Dark Souls especially uses silence so so well) - everything felt cluttered and like every moment was so stuffed with content I couldn't really get a handle on it. But now I've gotten used to it I get what Ken L was going for (I think). It's like this lunatic carnival. There's also probably an interesting piece somewhere about how it reflects 1950s and wider "America" (not just the Atlas Shrugged stuff but the capitalism, the organised crime, the immigration...)

Weird that it was so popular, though. Playing it now it seems pretty out there for a big AAA release.

RiggyRob

(Sorry this is a bit apropos of nothing...)

Bioshock's pretty good, isn't it? I've just
completed Sander Cohen's great masterpiece
. Unfortunately I'm already dimly aware of
"Would you kindly?"
but I still have lots of questions which I hope will be answered before it ends. I'm playing it on hard difficulty and while it was fine until now, it's really becoming a game of resource management. I wasted quite a lot of dollars and now I'm on the back foot a bit.

Is the narrow FOV a design decision? It was very disorientating at first but once I accepted that it's really a horror game first and then a shooter second (or maybe third) I realised it added to the claustrophobia.

I think the thing I admire most about it is how focused it is. It's almost too dense with activity at times. I also like how you can have three different sets of behaviours all going on at the same time - it makes me happy seeing Big Daddies vs splicers vs bots all happening while I'm crouching in a corner somewhere trying not to use my last 6 pistol bullets.

In fact, the only thing that's grating with me at the moment is the number of times I've played that hacking minigame. I think the setting helps make some of the old horror clichés (
mad doctor!
psycho artist!
feel a bit fresh. It's no Anor Londo but it's a very very fine setting :D

There you go. Bit garbled but that's my brain dump. As you were!

After finishing it, did you
kill Sander Cohen or just leave?

I think Rapture's one of the best created level/game designs of the last generation.

Top Bottom