• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Your guinea pigs are basically just pokemon, might as well play it

Competitive Pokemon is more brutal than Dark Souls.

Look. We all know what the answer is. Competitive guinea pig fighting.

I can't bring myself to sell mine because Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is fucking great, but I'm really struggling to give a shit about anything else on the system. I just wanted to give it a second look because I'm feeling open-minded after Persona 4 and everyone is always waffling on about how great the library is. Figured I'd put my hatred for Nintendo hardware to one side and give it a go. I'd forgotten about my utter apathy towards Nintendo software though. It went like this:

Animal Crossing? Eh, no. I'd rather watch an episode of Changing Rooms.
Mario 3D Land? Eh, no. Great game, but I've already played it.
Luigi's Mansion 2? Eh, no. Gamecube game was far better, can't be arsed to finish it.
Donkey Kong Country? Oh, fuck that. What the fuck was I thinking when I bought that shit?
Mario & Luigi RPG blah blah? No thanks, I'd rather play Persona 4 again.
Lego City Undercover? Nope. Fired that one up a few months back and it's the main reason I banished the 3DS from my eyesight. 2004 wants its tech back.
NSMB2? Nope. If I'm not playing 3D Land, I'm sure as shit not playing an inferior Mario game.

So I gave up. Looked for something to play online and totally drew a blank. I don't think I've ever been as poorly matched to a system in my life. Even my Wii gave me 10-20 games that I really wanted to play.

Edit: Also, fuck Pokemon. It's only good for laughing at the stilted and awkward language in the cartoons when I'm stoned. Even that stopped being funny a decade ago.

Yeah. That was my experience. It was nice to replay Starfox and Ocarina of Time but I just couldn't click on with it. Nothing really consumed me like say Rogue Legacy, Counterspy, Sine Mora etc etc. Maybe I'm just too distracted by how good everything is 'meant to be' that I can't take the games on their own merits. Also, as someone who generally doesn't like anything cheerful ever, the thought of happy cutesy squeaky squeak makes my stomach tighten.

It's why I'm so surprised I like Mario Kart 8. It's like Bayonetta 2 was just a trap to lure me into happy happy cutesy Narnia land.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Do it.

But play with the wiimote and nunchuck.

I'll try it. But I need that off TV goodness!

Ugh. I have a lot of fondness for Pokemon but the competitive side rewards anal-retentive stat min-maxing and mindless grinding (reduced in recent iteration). It doesn't reward creative or strategic thinking.

Perhaps I'm severely misremembering, but the plasmids were a big missed opportunity. There were some interesting powers but rarely were you ever given the option of using them creatively or in combination. The enemies were uninteresting and unchalleging. Plus the wrench was way too good. I'm not sure if that's a criticism though.

Don't get me wrong though, it is a good game. My first positive experience of last generation. Plus it is hard not to respect a big budget game that is so divergent from its contemporaries. I still think Swat 4 is Irrational's best game though. That was a game that challenged and rewarded players.

The Cohen section is fantastic, no doubt. The atmosphere is very good - and it is one of the most admirable bits of the game. Metroid prime, though! The Wii version of that is sublime.

The wrench is my staple - I agree with you there. It's probably a bit easier for me coming to it now (even though the box is laden with 10 out of 10! and 95%! stickers).

I would contend that sploatee's guinea pigs are in fact much worse than pokemon. At least pokemon can fight or fucking evolve.

Watch it, 'perbandit. I'll set my pigs on you. They'll stare you down.

Fanesca?!

You sick bastard. You'd be paving the way for Mad Guinea Pig Disease!

There'd be no difference. They're lunatics.

NinjaBoiX

Hang on, Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming to Wii U? My desire to get one of those things grows, Metroid Prime is one of the finest games ever made, and just a staggering technical achievement for the time.

I might get one once it's totally dead and I can pick up a library of games dirt cheap.

Edit: just saw the article on Eurogamer. SMG2 as well? Another stone cold classic. I need it!

NinjaBoiX

This will be the third release of Metroid Prime, that simply means it's three times as good as most other games.

They really need to release SMG1 as well, or just do some kind of double pack.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
WE'D GET IT! You want to kick start the apocalypse with a communicable disease?

If it meant that guinea pigs would become apex predators, yes.

Also, Metroid Prime blah blah - I don't think it actually supports off TV play / gamepad controls. Looks like you still need the Wii mote and Nunchuk. Never mind. Think I'll leave it weep weep.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

latest

You asked for this.

This will be the third release of Metroid Prime, that simply means it's three times as good as most other games.

They really need to release SMG1 as well, or just do some kind of double pack.

the fact that gta v and the last of us are already on their second release is sickening. fuck the game industry and every sap that is like 'will triple dip!'.
no, piss off and go outside you socially abhorrent mouth-breather.

anyway, any word on the final fantasy xii rerelease?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
the fact that gta v and the last of us are already on their second release is sickening. fuck the game industry and every sap that is like 'will triple dip!'.
no, piss off and go outside you socially abhorrent mouth-breather.

anyway, any word on the final fantasy xii rerelease?

Yes but those two have a useful purpose because ps4 and Xbo have no BC. Wii games can be played on the Wii U anyway so all this is a good opportunity to buy them digitally cheaper. I did think it seemed a bit forward thinking by Nintendo. I forgot how rigid they are. SNES games on the 3DS eshop?! BUT THEYRE NOT HANDHELD GAMES!!!

Oh my god, it always comes back to fucking Dark Souls in here.

Indeed. People need to learn what LTTP threads are for. It feels like every time I come in here it's about fucking Dark Souls, a game that came out ages ago that everyone played ages ago and is a poor man's version of Demon's Souls. Wtf is this shit.

Reknoc

Also, Metroid Prime blah blah - I don't think it actually supports off TV play / gamepad controls. Looks like you still need the Wii mote and Nunchuk. Never mind. Think I'll leave it weep weep.

Well, you should still be able to play it on the gamepad... screen lol.

Mindwipe

Has anyone got any experience of trying to get Remote Play to work well with a Sky router?

Performance, dropouts and lag are terrible, and I'm trying to work out if it's port forwarding issues or just that the Sky routers are fucking terrible (well, that is true regardless).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Indeed. People need to learn what LTTP threads are for. It feels like every time I come in here it's about fucking Dark Souls, a game that came out ages ago that everyone played ages ago and is a poor man's version of Demon's Souls. Wtf is this shit.

Are you joking?

I thought it was more a discussion about game design.

And I know what LTTP threads are for. Nothing is stopping you from posting whatever is on your mind, you know. Just because some persons are posting about Dark Souls doesn't mean you can't post about how good London is or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well with the announcement of the Nintendo Anime Channel SmokyDave now has a reason to use his 3DS again!

Are you joking?

And I know what LTTP threads are for. Nothing is stopping you from posting whatever is on your mind, you know. Just because some persons are posting about Dark Souls doesn't mean you can't post about how good London is or something.

No, it shits up the thread on a daily basis and LTTP threads exist for exactly this reason, to discuss old games/shows/movies that people may have missed when they came out.

Yes but those two have a useful purpose because ps4 and Xbo have no BC. Wii games can be played on the Wii U anyway so all this is a good opportunity to buy them digitally cheaper. I did think it seemed a bit forward thinking by Nintendo. I forgot how rigid they are. SNES games on the 3DS eshop?! BUT THEYRE NOT HANDHELD GAMES!!!

nintendo and 'forward thinking' don't go together.

Reknoc

Are you joking?

London is basically Blight Town anyway so it'll still spiral down to Dark Souls.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
No, it shits up the thread on a daily basis and LTTP threads exist for exactly this reason, to discuss old games/shows/movies that people may have missed when they came out.

You don't like it, post something interesting then. Moaning about thread shitting but not posting anything to stop the supposed shittiness is shittier than the so called thread shitting.

I might be wrong , but if I'm extrapolating you're basically saying that you don't like my posts as they recently have been about older games I'm catching up on and you believe I'm ruining the thread because of it? Pls confirm

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
nintendo and 'forward thinking' don't go together.

I'd actually say Nintendo's problem is they sometimes are too forward thinking and basically come up with an idea before it's time but when the right time comes they basically have a 'already done that' attitude.

The Satellaview for the SNES for example is still better than most online game related ideas. GCN to GBA connectivity was cumbersome but when they have systems that can easily talk to each other without cables and even a system with a screen based controller they don't even look back on what went wrong the first time round and improve on it. Moving Miis from the (3)DS to the Wii(U) is about as much as I've done with current connectivity.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Can I clarify what is the time frame for LTTPs....? Like, is Wolfenstein too old to talk about now? What about Tales from the Borderlands, that's been out long enough to get discounted? Birdman came out in the US last year but has only been here for a few weeks, is that acceptable to talk about now or shall we LTTP it? Can we come to you if we're not sure, you seem to know the ins and outs? Is there like an updated list of topics we can and can't talk about? Could you link me?

You don't like it, post something interesting then. Moaning about thread shitting but not posting anything to stop the supposed shittiness is shittier than the so called thread shitting.

I might be wrong , but if I'm extrapolating you're basically saying that you don't like my posts as they recently have been about older games I'm catching up on and you believe I'm ruining the thread because of it? Pls confirm

As always, I'm more of a lurker in this thread.

And no, no need to take anything personally.

Can I clarify what is the time frame for LTTPs. Is Wolfenstein too old to talk about? What about Tales from the Borderlands? Birdman came out in the US last year but has only been here for a few weeks, is that acceptable to talk about? Can we come to you if we're not sure?

Or you could use a few brain cells and common sense. Hmm on second thought maybe not.

Spookie

HEY GUYS! Have you played this Baldurs Gate! Holy shit! :D

Just got given the sequel for free so I might legit play this again after being given the first

So, how about that local sports team?

I have my 2nd rehearsal with my new band tonight, very excited. I'll let you all know when we're gigging so you can come support us

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
As always, I'm more of a lurker in this thread.

And no, no need to take anything personally.

Or you could use a few brain cells and common sense. Hmm on second thought maybe not.

Phew. I didn't want to go all Psychotext!

Dude, honestly I don't mean to shit up any thread or anything like that. I'm just talkative and excitable and I like talking to folks here. Even at work there are a couple of co workers (not all) that are like SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR GUINEA PIGS. It's cool, I get it, I can't always help who I am. You should pity Emma! She got three months of "by the way Ps4 by the way ps4 by the way ps4" and she doesn't even like gaming! I feel mega conscious about the quantity i post but it probably is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount I talk. Feel free to be irritated accordingly 😄

So I am sorry if you feel like it's a bit rubbish with all of these old game discussions but obvs you're 10000000000% welcome just to ignore them and talk about something else more interesting to you. I just post what's on my mind while I'm at work, I'm interested in game design and it's a good comparator game against lots of other games.

If you want to stick me on ignore (same goes to you Mr Ironside) I honestly don't mind. You could probably just substitute the same three things for each of my posts these days anyway (angst, pets, dark souls). Could save you the trouble 😄

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the title is "Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes"... so people are just playing their part in the theatre production of BritGAF.

SteveWD40

zomg, look to me as an example of how to lurk:

post from time to time but always with irreverent banter and bullshit, don't critique the direction of the thread since it's not guys like us keeping it alive.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Oh my god, it always comes back to fucking Dark Souls in here.
This is rich coming from you two since one of you basically only chimes in for clique chat and the other barely posts anyway. And then when you both do decide to chip in you waste it moaning about something someone else has posted. C'mon son. Don't be a jimbor.

M0VnyR5.gif

RE: Skyrim
The real fun is installing a bunch of them, and then trying to find out which one is crashing the game because it's not compatible with the house dlc or whatever.
Exactly.

jimbor

Banned
This is rich coming from you two since one of you basically only chimes in for clique chat and the other barely posts anyway. And then when you both do decide to chip in you waste it moaning about something someone else has posted. C'mon son. Don't be a jimbor.

M0VnyR5.gif

RE: Skyrim
Exactly.

LOL at the sickburn from objectively the worst poster on neogaf.

Top Bottom