• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

The_Poet

Banned
Cowardly? You did the right thing. I've put off starting dates to hear back from other opportunities before.

Always better to have choices.

Cowardly? You did the right thing. I've put off starting dates to hear back from other opportunities before.

This is reassuring to hear.

Also a permanent job offer is much better than a 4 month contract

I understand that, no question. Right now though I'd definitely rather have the contract. I've only been able to hold out this long because I can horde like Smaug but my rent is really taking its toll and I'd much rather have a kind of quick cash injection to balance things out in short order than a long term solution. The difference between the wages on offer is unreal.

But beyond money a 4 month contract just gives me a grace period where I can earn and look for my next job at the same time and without living like a grubby hermit. All this time unemployed has not been good for me and I've relaxed my standards too much. Essentially I'm just not happy with my pattern of life compared to how I was doing last year where I felt I was on top of my shit.

Skele7on

Banned
It's the bloke's pre birthday weekend so I've told him we can do whatever he likes.

So far he has decided tonight we're going to the Harvester, and tomorrow we are going to Ikea because he really likes their hot dogs and we need to get some sort of shelving unit for all our retro consoles. I love how easily pleased he is.

Sounds thrilling, haven't been to a harvester in years.

Working tomorrow during the day, out tomorrow night, then working again all day Sunday. I might pop in to town to pick up Dying Light and spend Sunday night with it. I'm still not sure if I want to wait for DS2/Bloodborne.

That'll be a hard ask, Game and HMV aren't selling it, well not when I looked a few weeks ago anyway... I would wait tbh, apparently although good once completed the game is absolutely dead.

Organising a day conference speakers event!

Cool what about?

So I've been told I got the job with this IT support company.

My interview went fairly well obviously, I got to have a look at what I'd actually be doing, talked with some of the guys I'd be working with, a young crowd, all seem very nice. The job itself seems like it could be overwhelming to start with but I get the impression it's just a lot of actually quite simple things.

I've accepted the job but not without some hesitation I'm afraid. I wish I could convince myself to stop being such a fanny and just get on with it. But annoyingly I've been distracted by the possible alternatives. 10 minutes before I actually arrive to the interview I get a call from a pharma consultant asking if I would be interested in a 4 month contract job doing something I'm very comfortable with paying roughly 125% more than what I'd get with this job I've accepted, with an interview possible next week. The thing is I can't turn down a job without knowing for certain I have something else. It's just damned frustrating that I don't have the freedom to make a balanced and informed choice that benefits me.

So they asked me at this new place what my start date could be and I made some excuses for why next week would be difficult and suggested the week after. For some reason I can't shake the feeling that this was somehow a cowardly thing to do and that I should just jump on the opportunity to get work ASAP. At the same time though, I'd really rather just get what I want if its within reach.

Nice dude congrats, size up the options and make a right choice, I would lean to perm position. Where is the IT based?

Done it before will do it again, get the choices and then play them off against each other in a fight to the death.

Also a permanent job offer is much better than a 4 month contract

this

Reknoc

That'll be a hard ask, Game and HMV aren't selling it, well not when I looked a few weeks ago anyway... I would wait tbh, apparently although good once completed the game is absolutely dead.

Retail version of Dying Light only came out last Friday.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I've been told I got the job with this IT support company.

My interview went fairly well obviously, I got to have a look at what I'd actually be doing, talked with some of the guys I'd be working with, a young crowd, all seem very nice. The job itself seems like it could be overwhelming to start with but I get the impression it's just a lot of actually quite simple things.

I've accepted the job but not without some hesitation I'm afraid. I wish I could convince myself to stop being such a fanny and just get on with it. But annoyingly I've been distracted by the possible alternatives. 10 minutes before I actually arrive to the interview I get a call from a pharma consultant asking if I would be interested in a 4 month contract job doing something I'm very comfortable with paying roughly 125% more than what I'd get with this job I've accepted, with an interview possible next week. The thing is I can't turn down a job without knowing for certain I have something else. It's just damned frustrating that I don't have the freedom to make a balanced and informed choice that benefits me.

So they asked me at this new place what my start date could be and I made some excuses for why next week would be difficult and suggested the week after. For some reason I can't shake the feeling that this was somehow a cowardly thing to do and that I should just jump on the opportunity to get work ASAP. At the same time though, I'd really rather just get what I want if its within reach.

It's reasonable to hold out until you hear about the better offer. It's always so tempting to leap when offered a job but it's important to remember that an employment contract is a two-way street - you're selling them your time and energy and you're well within your rights to take the best offer you can. I don't know what it's like in your field but in mine it's quite common to get multiple offers, haggle and generally be awkward before signing. I don't think it reflects badly on you - probably the opposite.

Skele7on

Banned
Retail version of Dying Light only came out last Friday.

LOL fuck, I didn't know that, bet retail was pissed at that all those lost sales, I can't imagine why they'd delay retail a few weeks? Piracy?

It's a TEDx event, with a loose theme on global pioneers and dare to dream. It allows for a wide variety of speakers to attend.

Oh rad that sounds awesome! I will take a spot as a pioneer of twitter trollin' cheers.

Symphonia

Banned
Only came out in retail last week. There's only £5 difference between what Game are charging and how much it is on the PS Store, but that's £5 toward something else.

To be honest, I'll probably do single player first (might do a Twitch stream) and then do multiplayer once more people have it. I just love a good zombie survival game. This should fill the void for now before Dead Island 2.

Reknoc

Only came out in retail last week. There's only £5 difference between what Game are charging and how much it is on the PS Store, but that's £5 toward something else.

To be honest, I'll probably do single player first (might do a Twitch stream) and then do multiplayer once more people have it. I just love a good zombie survival game. This should fill the void for now before Dead Island 2.

What I've seen of Dying Light makes it seem like the proper Dead Island 2 anyway lol, I mean, it's the same dev. The actual Dead Island 2 just kinda sounds like a waste of Yager's talents when Deep Silver could be trying to get an awesome flight game out instead of their weird reliance on Dead Island as a franchise.

Symphonia

Banned
What I've seen of Dying Light makes it seem like the proper Dead Island 2 anyway lol, I mean, it's the same dev. The actual Dead Island 2 just kinda sounds like a waste of Yager's talents when Deep Silver could be trying to get an awesome flight game out instead of their weird reliance on Dead Island as a franchise.
Thing is, I really enjoyed Dead Island for what it was, and while Dying Light is pretty much the same (good thing, though) but in a different location, I'm keen to see what DS do with Dead Island 2. The trailer was great, as with all DS games, but it all comes down to how it looks and handles in-game.

Reknoc

Thing is, I really enjoyed Dead Island for what it was, and while Dying Light is pretty much the same (good thing, though) but in a different location, I'm keen to see what DS do with Dead Island 2. The trailer was great, as with all DS games, but it all comes down to how it looks and handles in-game.

I didn't care for Dead Island but appreciated what it tried to do (I still love zombie games idgaf) and it did well enough so a sequel makes sense but all that stuff between it is weird. Like there's the expansion thing people hated but there's also a moba and a hack and slash like what. That said though DS turned me right off Dead Island 2 by announcing preorder dlc shit when the only footage of the game was the cgi reveal trailer. I'm not even sure if they've even shown any gameplay yet since I stopped following it after that shit.

Symphonia

Banned
I didn't care for Dead Island but appreciated what it tried to do (I still love zombie games idgaf) and it did well enough so a sequel makes sense but all that stuff between it is weird. Like there's the expansion thing people hated but there's also a moba and a hack and slash like what. That said though DS turned me right off Dead Island 2 by announcing preorder dlc shit when the only footage of the game was the cgi reveal trailer. I'm not even sure if they've even shown any gameplay yet since I stopped following it after that shit.
Oh, Riptide annoyed me. It's only DLC yet they charged full price for it, and it seemed like a step backwards from DI1. I hope they sort it out for DI2. As far as I know, no in-game footage has been shown at all, but I've been on somewhat of a media blackout for a while.

Just been to see It Follows.

Absolutely brilliant movie. The concept is very simple but unnerving, it was nicely shot and has a fantastic soundtrack. Best horror film I've seen in ages. Seemed very self aware as a horror film as well, establishes the "rules" early on, it has jump scares but it doesn't rely on them.

Gets my seal of approval.

AFkTE.png

NinjaBoiX

So the new manager of Mint Lounge walked out tonight, he couldn't deal with Tunji telling him off. To be fair, we had no gas canisters, no limes, not enough staff and no print rolls for the PDQ's, he's fucking useless. It appears his "experience" managing bars in the village amounted to cashing up the tills, delegating tasks to everyone else and pouring himself vodka and cranberrys all night.

He came in all full of bluster thinking he was going to remodel the place and everything. He wanted to paint to back wall pink, put flowery transfers around the dance floor and book gay asian belly dancers. Wut. I don't think you get Mint Lounge mate.

He's atrocious behind the bar too, last weekend he asked Elliot what bourbon was.

62ZpILQ.jpg

Doing a little visit to LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS, as I believe it's called. Any recommendations of places to see/visit/eat/drink?

Also a bourbon biscuit flavoured Bailey's sounds like a good idea.

NinjaBoiX

I don't expect him to know the intricacies of its construction but he was literally flummoxed when someone asked for it. He had no idea what to serve him.

He's meant to be an experienced bar manager, that's really poor form.
Isn't it a type of whiskey?
Yeah, it's an American whiskey where at least half the mash is comprised of corn. They're usually sweeter than most.

(I only know this because Eilidh told me on Monday when I was taking the piss out of him, I still would've known what to serve the guy though!)

Chinner

Banned
Doing a little visit to LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS, as I believe it's called. Any recommendations of places to see/visit/eat/drink?

Also a bourbon biscuit flavoured Bailey's sounds like a good idea.

depends what you want on a night out. i would generally recommend the north side of town as it's grown a lot and isn't full of dickheads.

i'm out on a date night tonight, so if i see anyone who resembles dr who i'll say hello.

depends what you want on a night out. i would generally recommend the north side of town as it's grown a lot and isn't full of dickheads.

i'm out on a date night tonight, so if i see anyone who resembles dr who i'll say hello.
Cheers. Not really after a proper night out and clubbing and whatever, me and the missus decided we should probably do something as it's our anniversary weekend so having a weekend away that was definitely not organised this week. So just going round town, some decent food, etc.

I have one of my Tweed jackets and everything too.

I find it so weird that you're back in here posting after you got outed for grooming Jed's alt and posting "that's so hot, my cock is in my hand" re: the young teenage orgy.

Absolutely baffling that you'd come back.

Why don't you take your bullying to PM instead of shitting up the whole thread with it.

Top Bottom