• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

Vert boil

User Impressions/Reviews,

I just finished. What a beautiful, moving game. Wow. Incredible work by Starbreeze. If you liked Ico and Journey, you MUST play this game.
Just wonderful and am shocked at how little fanfare it has been getting on the forum. The team ico nuts would likely adore it.
Man, what a game. I feel like I want to grab the rest of Gaf by the shoulders and say, "Hey dudes this is the 'Journey' of this year."
Just a game I could not put down from beginning to end. Beautiful.
...this has a very good shot at being my GOTY.
So so good.
My GOTY so far. Just finished it and i'm literally shocked about how great this game is.
Definitely my game of the year so far...
here is an epic game in the literary sense of the word.
My game of the year.
Every thing I love about videogames is in this game. Game of the year for me.
Thanks to CitizenCope for knocking up the list.

headertop6barl.jpg

headerlink1cal1z.jpg
headerlink53mb1h.jpg

headerbottomqhayx.jpg

96rts6x.png
Teaser trailer || Walkthrough trailer || Behind the scenes || Mountain pass gameplay || Launch trailer

Developer: Starbreeze Studios
Publisher: 505 Games
Release Date: August 7th (XBLA)
92mjs6y.png
September 3rd (PC)
92mjs6y.png
September 3rd (US PSN)
92mjs6y.png
September 4th (EU PSN)
Formats: PC (win only), PSN and XBLA.
Price: 15$/1200msp

GMG - 9.99£

"A man, clinging to life. His two sons, desperate to cure their ailing father, are left with but one option. They must set out upon a journey to find and bring back the "Water of Life" as they come to rely on one another to survive. One must be strong where the other is weak, brave where the other is fearful, they must be... Brothers."

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a short single player adventure game where you control both brothers at the same time, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The intention from the creator is for the player to play through the game in one sitting to fully experience the journey as it unfolds and "to really understand what we are trying to do."

brothers_heroq305kjh.png

Origins
Brothers creator is Swedish film director Josef Fares. Fares was asked to work with some game design students during the summer four years ago and the idea and prototype for Brothers came from that period. During development Fares has worked at Starbreeze to craft the game.

Character control
The game doesn't feature normal co-op, instead you control both brothers at the same time. Each brother is controlled by one analog stick and one trigger.

• Big brother is controlled by the left analog and the left trigger/L2.
  • Little brother is controlled by the right analog and the right trigger/R2.
  • You use the triggers to interact with the world and NPC's.
  • Bumpers/L1 R1 can also be used to rotate the camera.
Watch the walkthrough trailer if you need a visible example.

It is recommended that people play with a controller on PC.
"Notice: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons requires a controller to play."
Steam page seems to be incorrect about the required controller... but, if you can. Play the game with a controller.

Gameplay
Brothers is a single player game. There is no co-op mode.

The idea of using both stick for the brothers is the most importing thing about this game. I really want the player to feel that the left hand is the big brother and right hand is the little brother. That way co-op is not an option. Many people wanted me to try that out but that would destroy the vision of the game. You will understand the point of controlling the brothers with individual sticks more once you play through the game.

Brothers is an adventure game with puzzles and platforming. Each brother has his own personality, strengths and weaknesses. The brothers will act in different ways throughout the game whether they are interacting with an NPC or traversing a part of the world. Understanding how use the brothers together or apart to solve puzzles and travel through the world is the core of the gameplay.

This will range from them having to work together, both brothers having to push open a gate together or them both shifting their weight to steer a glider. To them separating so the little brother can coax a baddie whilst the big brother waits to ensnare it or one brother holds down a lever to unblock a path so the other can pass by. There are also moments where only one of brothers can do something so they both can progress through the world.

Weapons are a rare sight in the game. The brothers normally have to use logic to outsmart characters in the world.

Length?
Seems to be around three to four hours. Rush through and it will take less time, interact and see everything and it should take a bit longer.

96rts6x.png
Teaser trailer || Walkthrough trailer || Behind the scenes || Mountain pass gameplay || Launch trailer

Additional Info,
Steam achievements, PSN trophies, XBLA achievements.
Gametrailers: Exploring the Origin and Development of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons with Creator Josef Fares

Reviews,

Destructoid: 8/10
Edge: 7/10
Empire: 4/5
Eurogamer: 9/10 **spoilers**
FZ.se: 5/5
Game Critics
Game Informer: 8.25/10
Game Trailers: 8.8/10
Gamer Horizon: 9/10
Games Radar: 4.5/5
Gamespot: 8/10
GamesTM (print): 8/10
IGN: 8.2/10 *contains details I wouldn't have wanted to know about before playing*
Joystiq: 5/5
Playstation Magazine UK: 9/10
Video Gamer: 8/10
Xbox 360 magazine UK: 8/10

RPGCrazied

Looks okay. I'll decide or not if/when I get to play the PSN demo to buy it. Its UE3, and usually games run like shit on PS3 with that engine. But I have my eye on this.

Tizoc

Hope it'll be good, shame no PSN release date though.
Speaking of PSN...it better not have frame tearing or frame rate issues like Giana Sisters and Papo and Yo =_=

ymmv

Banned
I had no idea the PSN/PC versions were delayed by a month. There's no mention of it on the official site or on the Wikipedia page Shame.

Tekku

I'm really looking forward to this game. Josef Fares is famous for his comedy movies here in Sweden, and he's always been very outspoken about games and his visions as a gamer and creator. :)

Tizoc

I'm really looking forward to this game. Josef Fares is famous for his comedy movies here in Sweden, and he's always been very outspoken about games and his visions as a gamer and creator. :)

Hmm! May try to watch some of his movies then.

Amir0x

Banned
well it is a nice departure from starbreeze usual shooter. Hopefully they find some success with this.

If it's good, me too. Watching videos it seems like a very neat little game, but I guess the quality will depend on how novel the puzzles are and whatnot

Afro

"Brothers is mostly an experience...It's not so much about challenging you as a player."

Journey anyone? Can't wait.

N2NOther

Banned
Didn't know this was coming out so soon. I am not gonna have enough money for any of these indie games.

It was supposed to be out in April. That's why print reviews have been out for a while. MS wanted it for Summer of Arcade so it pushed the release back.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
well it is a nice departure from starbreeze usual shooter. Hopefully they find some success with this.

As I understand it, Starbreeze isn't really Starbreeze anymore, most of the prominent people from Starbreeze are now working for Machine Games (developing a shooter, of course).

N2NOther

Banned
As I understand it, Starbreeze isn't really Starbreeze anymore, most of the prominent people from Starbreeze are now working for Machine Games (developing a shooter, of course).

Those people left in 2010 so everything that has come out since (The Darkness 2, Syndicate etc) has been with the current team.

Edit: Mistaken about Darkness 2. That was Digital Extremes.

sure they're not the same team because this one is on a tighter budget. But atleast they still exists.

BrothersE3Screen5.jpg

beautiful atmosphere

"Brothers is mostly an experience...It's not so much about challenging you as a player."

Journey anyone? Can't wait.

This is potentially disappointing. I was hoping for some really intense moments where you're practically crossing your eyes trying to control these two dudes while being chased or something.

N2NOther

Banned
This is potentially disappointing. I was hoping for some really intense moments where you're practically crossing your eyes trying to control these two dudes while being chased or something.
It doesn't happen a lot but it happens.

I'll link my review at some point. I won't be home at midnight when it goes live.

It doesn't happen a lot but it happens.

I'll link my review at some point. I won't be home at midnight when it goes live.

Good to hear. I was hoping for some nice pacing to it that has some really crazy moments. It seems like too cool of a concept to just be a bunch of lazy puzzles and platforming.

Karak

I envision this to be the cause of a lot of debate come midnight and some of the reviews.

Wozman23

I didn't know this was upon us. Love the concept and art direction. Will definitely be picking this one up on PS3 and trying to find time to play it around Rayman and Puppeteer.

batbeg

I'd been looking forward to this one for a while, didn't know it was coming out so soon.

*Looks at release dates*

I see,,, I guess it really isn't coming out that soon for me. Really hope it's good, though!

Top Bottom