• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

Just played an hour or so. Awesome so far.

But yeah, have a feeling that this will only end in tears :lol

Since stopping, I'm noticing that I have these micro-pauses in my brain as I catch myself feeling that my other hand is supposed to be doing something. It's a very odd feeling. Like the hand version of "guitar hero scroll vision."

Ha! Know exactly what you're talking about. Noticed this when I stopped playing yesterday. Very weird feeling.

Can anybody tell me a bit more about the controls, I'm a bit dubious about reading 'controlling one brother with each thumbstick' in the Steam description, the last game I played with simultaneous controls for two characters I really didn't enjoy it. (TWEWY)
Also, how does this work on the keyboard?

To answer your second question, it's required to use a controller. No mouse/keyboard controls.

I thought the controls worked well, but they do take a bit to get used to. I would try out the demo if you can (I played it on XBLA, not sure if Steam or PSN have a demo up for it). Because it's just thumbstick + trigger it didn't get too overwhelming though.

To answer your second question, it's required to use a controller. No mouse/keyboard controls.

I thought the controls worked well, but they do take a bit to get used to. I would try out the demo if you can (I played it on XBLA, not sure if Steam or PSN have a demo up for it). Because it's just thumbstick + trigger it didn't get too overwhelming though.

Actually, you can use a keyboard, and there is an option to bind keys in the game launcher. But yeah, it's strongly advised to use a controller instead.

Just finished it. Not much to add that everyone hasn't said already but holy shit haha. Amazing, I had no idea Starbreeze had that kind of game in them. So many unique nice little ideas they came up with too to justify the control scheme, it's not just a novelty at all. I think all that Nintendoland animal crossing sweet treats helped me perhaps for this haha, I had no bother crossing the brothers over and controlling them ok.

Simzyy

After seeing that yet another Kickstarter game I was looking forward to has been delayed until next year (Dead State in this case) I decided I would use my steam wallet funds to buy this.

Downloading now.

nny

I've been looking forward to this one for quite a while...and it was definitely worth the wait. Loved the locations and the way the controls were connected to the narrative. Lovely.

Vitor711

Beat it in one wonderful 2 and a half hour sitting.

Incredible ending, just amazing. And, without spoiling anything, I mean that in terms of gameplay as well as story. They way they manage to link the two together is nothing short of astounding.

<3 Starbreeze.

Shahadan

Beat it in one wonderful 2 and a half hour sitting.

Incredible ending, just amazing. And, without spoiling anything, I mean that in terms of gameplay as well as story. They way they manage to link the two together is nothing short of astounding.

<3 Starbreeze.

Ending spoilers :
the way they make you use the big brother stick and trigger at the end, what it means, and hell the simple fact that they make you understand that's what you're supposed to do, is amazing and so clever. Call me crazy, but just for that moment I'm happy to have bought this game
*_*

J.W.Crazy

Pretty much everything about this game is great. With Helix Mod it's nearly perfect in 3D too. If you can I'd highly recommend playing that way.

btw if you liked this game, you should play But That Was Yesterday. It only takes 15 min, free browser art game about moving forward in life.

btwy6-1291078380.jpg

Played the demo this morning and really liked it, so I bought the full game. I will give it a proper go tonight. Is it a play-in-one-session game like Journey, or can it be done over a couple of nights? Lovely visuals; I really like the Fable-esque aesthetic.

Montresor

Played the demo this morning and really liked it, so I bought the full game. I will give it a proper go tonight. Is it a play-in-one-session game like Journey, or can it be done over a couple of nights? Lovely visuals; I really like the Fable-esque aesthetic.

I've never played Journey, so I'm not sure what you mean.

I was able to play Brothers in two 2-hour sittings across two nights with no issues. Brothers is incredible and I hope you enjoy it: =)

I made a point to open up 3-4 hours to play it in one session and I think it's best that way. Other GAF members suggested to play it this way.

Personally, I found it a bit long at 3-4 hours to sit and play in one go, I split it over two nights. I think it comes down to less about the game, and more do you like to sit that long? I could finish journey in 2 hours I guess taking my time. This I would have had to rush to get close to that, which I didn't want to do either. I think there's probably a certian point you don't want to stop at. Do the first few chapters then decide, the game really grips you in the second half.

eXistor

Goddamn, this game. So many feels. Outside of some animation roughness, it was quite the gem. Perfect length too; I finished it just under 3 hours and nothing felt out of place. Play this game, you owe it to yourself, lovely art, very entertaining puzzles (even if the game does push you along without you having to think too much). A proper adventure.

Questions about some story elements:
Why were all of the giants dead? And what was with the weird "giant mom" dream sequence?

Crispy75

Just got done with this game and honestly the last time I felt like this after putting the controller down, letting the credits play to the end, then shaking the awe off my face was when I finished Journey. Now this is not as good as Journey. The controls aren't as fluid and the feels aren't quite as super-feely, but *that moment*. Wow. Face-splitting grin.

Absolutely no padding, unforgettable scenery and characterisation, great music, beautiful artwork. I wish I had more than two thumbs up to give it.

My fingers hurt from gripping the triggers so much, mind :-D

Just started playing about 15 minutes ago. Goodness, this is beautiful and charming. Nice organic puzzling too which doesn't feel too forced, although I'm still getting used to the controls.

I played until the
the end of the mine, where you reunite the ogre couple
. Such a lovely game; it's one of those where I love spinning the camera and admiring the view, or I'll gladly sit on the benches and soak up the atmosphere. I love this sort of thing; they're my favourite type of games these days. Such a nice tonic to all the 'Triple-A' homogenised nonsense. I wish more big studios would develop games like this; I think it would be great if the likes of DICE or Treyarch were allowed to keep their creativity alive by making something like this every few years.

No one is buying it? I dont see the game in any top list. Has it bombed?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to have been very successful. There were only 20 star ratings on PSN when I bought it, and there were 27 last night when I went to add a 5* rating. I've no idea how reflective that is of number of purchases, but usually most games get more ratings than that.

I played until the
the end of the mine, where you reunite the ogre couple
. Such a lovely game; it's one of those where I love spinning the camera and admiring the view, or I'll gladly sit on the benches and soak up the atmosphere. I love this sort of thing; they're my favourite type of games these days. Such a nice tonic to all the 'Triple-A' homogenised nonsense. I wish more big studios would develop games like this; I think it would be great if the likes of DICE or Treyarch were allowed to keep their creativity alive by making something like this every few years.

You pretty much nailed it, concerning where to break if you're not doing it in one go. Clear yourself plenty of time for your next go :) It is fantastic, I took so many screenshots as I played through, sitting on the benches and so on. Ended up not posting any for fear of spoiling or even hinting at stuff for people but yea, lovely game.

This game was shockingly good. Beautiful looking and sounding. Ingenious puzzle design. Dat feels at the end. Definitely one of the best downloadable games this generation.

I'm sad that even on GAF it seems to be going ignored. Can we make another thread to convince people to play it?

spekkeh

Banned
I wish we could do that. The amount of comments as it being GOTY contender makes it so sad it's being missed by so many.
I'm really amazed not more critics were of the same opinion, this should be right up the alley of jaded seen-it-alls as something that really pushes the medium forward.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
demo didn't wow me at all - camera was spinning all over the place, and you're just wandering along. But it sounds like the sort of game I should like. conflicted.

demo didn't wow me at all - camera was spinning all over the place, and you're just wandering along. But it sounds like the sort of game I should like. conflicted.

If you got the money, drop it on this game. If you are interested in games telling a story more through mechanics and actions rather than through dialogue, give it a go.

Andrew.

Banned
Leftover cash in my PSN wallet so I downloaded this last night for under six bucks and will be diving in tonight! Ive always been a Starbreeze fan.

The demo is not a great reflection of the game. Buy it, I promise you won't regret it.

No one is buying it? I dont see the game in any top list. Has it bombed?

It has a lot of things going against it:

1) Debuted on 360 - Late ports always suffer, and being associated with the Xbox first is negative in some people's minds

2) It's $15 - Always a tough sell

3) It's short - Combined with $15 this is a really tough sell

4) Perceived PC Problems - The whole debacle with KB support turned folks off

5) Wait for Steam sale - Always a factor on Steam but even worse given the other issues

6) Bad Demo - According to those here in the thread

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm loving this so far. Ended my first session with
the 'sad tune' moment, where you prevent the guy from hanging himself.
That's some unexpected dark stuff.

Playing on PS3, experiencing a bit of tearing sometimes. Looks like I'll have to double dip on pc, looks a lot better.

Just finished it. Seriously the best game of the year so far. This is the game ThatGameCompany and Team Ico would collaborate on after binge reading everything Astrid Lindgren ever wrote.

PLAY IT!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you got the money, drop it on this game. If you are interested in games telling a story more through mechanics and actions rather than through dialogue, give it a go.

The demo is not a great reflection of the game. Buy it, I promise you won't regret it.

Just finished it. Seriously the best game of the year so far. This is the game ThatGameCompany and Team Ico would collaborate on after binge reading everything Astrid Lindgren ever wrote.

PLAY IT!

Ok, I'm going in.

ExReey

I'm loving this so far. Ended my first session with
the 'sad tune' moment, where you prevent the guy from hanging himself.
That's some unexpected dark stuff.

Wow,
you can prevent the guy from hanging himself? I was too late :/

Billen

Banned
Wow, just saw a movie of this and it looks AMAZING. Absolutely going for the PSN version.

Fares is btw a film director who loves the Oculus Rift among other gaming related things. :D

Top Bottom