• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

Shahadan

This game is so fucking beautiful *_*
And I want to bitch slap most of the people making a drama over controller "requirement" on the steam forums.

Looking foward to this, but there's no reason I should pay $15 for it.

I have a huuge backlog, so I'll wait for a PS+ discount or a price drop to the $10 range.

Can anybody tell me a bit more about the controls, I'm a bit dubious about reading 'controlling one brother with each thumbstick' in the Steam description, the last game I played with simultaneous controls for two characters I really didn't enjoy it. (TWEWY)
Also, how does this work on the keyboard?

Daaamn, I reaally like this. Played about an hour and a half there, made it up to
the nutty professor has just spotted me and chucked a cog my way
. No idea how far in it is, but I really like it. The visuals, the art design, the ambience, it's jsut a pleasure to play. Have had to retire because the 5 year old has so kindly brought back a horrible cold with him to the house after his first week back at school and I'm borderline feverish here, but I reckon I'd feel worse if I hadn't been playing this. Very nice game, highly recommend to fans of stuff like Journey, or readers of fairy tales etc.

AEREC

Thinking about getting this on steam...hows performance? Also the shadows were heavily pixelated in the 360 demo I played...is the pc any better?

Just played an hour or so. Awesome so far.

But yeah, have a feeling that this will only end in tears :lol

Since stopping, I'm noticing that I have these micro-pauses in my brain as I catch myself feeling that my other hand is supposed to be doing something. It's a very odd feeling. Like the hand version of "guitar hero scroll vision."

I'm kind of bummed it requires a controller but only because I was looking forward to seeing whatever hilarious and horrible concoction of a keyboard scheme they might have cooked up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can anybody tell me a bit more about the controls, I'm a bit dubious about reading 'controlling one brother with each thumbstick' in the Steam description, the last game I played with simultaneous controls for two characters I really didn't enjoy it. (TWEWY)
Also, how does this work on the keyboard?

It's not a very control demanding game unlike TWEWY so you can go at your own pace a lot. It's very neatly done with each half of the controller basically being each brother.

it has keyboard compatibility...

Meant to write "I'm kind of bummed if it", the poster above mentioned it as having a controller requirement which I of course now understand as being more of a practical requirement. And those SGSSAA screenshots look stunning, will have to grab this soon. Not the real Starbreeze I suppose but the game seems great none the less.

Yuterald

Impulse purchased the fuck out of this. Always looked cool. I've always wanted to play more dual analog/controlled character games since the Adventures of Cookie & Cream (lol!). Didn't expect this game to have a made-up language too. Really digging the extremely low context the game's going for.

Bought on psn, loving it so far. Art style, mechanics, and world are all lovely. Only downside is the lack of any kind of coop mode - my wife really wants to play along, would have been great as a separate, modified version.

SystemBug

I hope more people from other mediums jump into video games - this game kinda of proves what they can bring to the table.

Hopefully this is ok if I put this here. Maybe a Mod or Vert Boil can put it in the OP.
I just finished. What a beautiful, moving game. Wow. Incredible work by Starbreeze. If you liked Ico and Journey, you MUST play this game.
Just wonderful and am shocked at how little fanfare it has been getting on the forum. The team ico nuts would likely adore it.
Man, what a game. I feel like I want to grab the rest of Gaf by the shoulders and say, "Hey dudes this is the 'Journey' of this year."
Just a game I could not put down from beginning to end. Beautiful.
...this has a very good shot at being my GOTY.
So so good.
My GOTY so far. Just finished it and i'm literally shocked about how great this game is.
Definitely my game of the year so far...
here is an epic game in the literary sense of the word.
My game of the year.
Every thing I love about videogames is in this game. Game of the year for me.

I hope more people from other mediums jump into video games - this game kinda of proves what they can bring to the table.

It helps if that person was into videogames from an early age like Josef Fares in this game's case.

I kinda love how the benches are both showing off how beautiful the world is and how cool the level design is that led you to that spot.

vladdamad

Does anyone know when the EU PS store gets updated? Got a day off today, would be nice to get to play this uninterrupted

Withnail

I want to buy this but £11.99 (PSN) seems a bit steep for a four hour game. Especially when it was 1200 MS points.

I'll see how the trial grabs me later.

Arkanius

Just finished

Saw it from a mile away from the moment the girl started sticking for far too long with us. When she flirted with the Bigger brother I knew something was going to happen, but not his death :(
That ending was an horrible ending for the father and the younger brother

Roubjon

I haven't heard about this game at all, but all of these comparisons to Journey and ICO sold me. Not to mention all of these people saying GOTY. I'm buying it sooner rather than later, that's for sure.

This game is amazing, I picked it up on 360 and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. I wish I knew it was coming on PSN as I have most of my digital content on that platform.

vladdamad

I just finished it. The ending to this game is a classic sequence that will be remembered years from now. This is how you use games as a storytelling medium, guys. Spectacular.

While the ending is truly great, I have to say that the game isn't quite worthy of GOTY status imo. There are some truly amazing moments -
the battlefield of giants
being my favourite one - but a lot of it isn't that great. The
scaling the castle
section dragged for a smidgen too long for my liking. The soundtrack is also a little weak. Puzzles are solid though, and as I said before the ending has an enormous impact. Looking forward to seeing what these guys come up with next.

EDIT: Also, a controller is absolutely required for this game. Take it from me, it wouldn't work otherwise.

I picked this up last night on Steam, solely based on the positive buzz I've seen from people on Twitter and here. I literally knew nothing about the game except that you controlled two brothers at once, with each assigned to a separate thumb stick. Everyone I heard talk about this game said that it was best to just go in blind, so I did just that.

What an absolutely great game. Having no idea on what to expect, the whole experience was just magical. It felt like playing a Hans Christen Anderson fairy tale, over the frame work of something like ICO or Journey - but with controls so unique that it felt entirely like its own thing. I played it all in one sitting, despite it getting to be well past when I should have turned in, and I was glad I did. It's not a terribly long game, but that shouldn't be a knock against it. It is exactly the length it needs to be. I don't think there is a problem with stopping and starting this game, but each area flowed so nicely into the next that I was just carried along till the conclusion.

I hesitate to go into more detail, because I honestly felt like knowing nothing about the game only worked in its favor. Each little detail was a surprise, and in a game stuffed with so much detail, it only served to keep that fairy tale charm going throughout. It doesn't hurt that the game is absolutely gorgeous. It's a stylized look, to be sure, but it evokes that Fairy Tale vibe without resorting to cell shading or extreme caricatures. Anytime I came across one of the benches where you and stop and rest, I made sure to do so - and was always rewarded with some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen in a game this year.

I will say it is an absolute shame that this game isn't getting more attention. I feel like I'm pretty plugged into this hobby, and only found out it had been released on Steam when I launched the store last night. For anyone who loves Journey, or ICO - this is simply a must play. For any adult who appreciated the darkness and the charm in the fairy tales of their youth - this is a must play. Really, for most anyone who takes this hobby seriously - this is something that you should play.

It's not a complete homerun, of course. I do have some issues, particularly with some of the predictability of the story, but that seems beside the point given what genre they were working in. The controls, while being intricately tied to the emotional punch of the game, never felt exactly comfortable. Even in the later portions of the game I'd have to stop controlling both characters, and focus on one at a time. Still the payoff for this setup totally makes this worthwhile and easy to overlook. It's not perfect, and I don't know that it'll be my GOTY, but that is a silly measurement for something like this. It absolutely deserves to be played, and at the risk of turning someone off of trying it - I figured I'd just my few small issues behind spoiler tags.

Just finished

That ending was an horrible ending for the father and the younger brother

Right? Guy loses his wife and son and the youngest was there for both. Guy is going to be a wreck and maybe a little bitter at the surviving son. I did like the stone faced look on the kid at the very end like he made a transition from boy to man.

I played this from beginning to end in a sitting yesterday. Wow. It's been a while since I played a game that's this lovingly crafted and that felt like it came from such a strong emotional space that exudes throughout the entire journey. Brothers is a game that deals with many different themes, some fantastical in nature, but tackles them head on and with a touch of nuance. It's also a very charming game that overcomes any technical limitation through great art direction.

Its basic concept of controlling the older brother on the left analog stick and the younger brother on the right is one that may turn off some at first but truly comes into its own as the game progresses with a thematic payoff unlike anything I've ever seen in a game before. Brothers also has excellent pacing that carries over into its puzzles. They are simple yet I never felt like they were braindead easy. They're always fresh in some way and play off of mechanics I learned before without ever showing a tutorial on screen outside of the beginning chapter.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons was an excellently developed puzzle platformer that wasn't afraid to go to some dark places but also knew when to highlight a truly joyous moment. And this was all through gameplay. These special moments or sections were rarely shown through cutscenes only. It wants you to experience these parts through gameplay as much as possible, and it very much succeeds at that. But it's a climactic moment near the end that truly brings that idea home. A moment so brilliant and emotionally resonant to me that it'd be a shame if people missed out on this because we're on the cusp of a new console generation transition. Don't pass this game up. It begs to be played.

I want to play this, but it's £12 and has no demo! Is there a demo on US PSN? I know it's had a lot of acclaim, but I don't think I've ever paid that much for a game blind before.

Top Bottom